Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Josh Doctson WR TCU

PCS

Something I read on footballoutsiders has been bothering me.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2016/playmaker-score-2016

Highly doubtful that simply staying in college 1 more year hinders NFL success. 

It's makes far more sense that WR standouts leave for the NFL asap, so the quality of receiver in senior class dips. 

His work ethic and ball attack skills are fantastic. He stands out on film. 

I guess I'm surprised by the amount of people who were surprised by the pick.  I think it was reasonable going in to think we would possibly target a WR in the first three rounds.  It became more of a possibility when Treadwell and Docston were still on the board.

Scot will get the defense straight.  Lots of talent left on the board.  I'm glad he grabbed a playmaker.

I understand that we all want to win next year, but we've still got plenty of work to do.  I'm hoping that we have a solid year next year, but my target year for competing for the NFC is two years away.  And I think that's pretty damn optimistic.

Draft the best players on the board.  Keep building.  Stay the course.  **** Dallas.  

It's makes far more sense that WR standouts leave for the NFL asap, so the quality of receiver in senior class dips. 

It isn't so much that it is hindrance, but it causes issues with respect to evaluating them when they've had an extra year or 2 to practice their craft and physically mature as compared to the people that they are competing against, and you are comparing them to.

Realistically, on film he better look better than other WRs because he's physically more mature and has more experience than many of them. 

Right, I think you kind of answered your own question.  I think the real question is where would Doctson have been drafted if he had entered the draft last season?  Also, I think people should ratchet their expectations of Doctson way down.  If he is a successful pick, it is infinitely more likely that he ends up being a Steve Smith (NYG), Chris Chambers, Dwayne Bowe type of guy rather than an all-timer like AJ Green, OBJ, Larry Fitzgerald, and other such receivers that people are trying to compare him to.  The history of senior WR prospects just don't have that kind of upside - those guys have already declared for the draft by the time their senior years come around.

I'm kind of scratching my head at Scot's 1st round picks the past 2 years.  Scherff and Doctson were both picks that have almost 0 chance of becoming home run picks.  It seems like Scot's strategy is more to "not miss" than to pick up a guy who will be an all-timer.  I have no complaints about any of his drafting other than the 1st round.

"Team needs change every 2 or 3 years. Talent stays on the team for a decade."

Can't remember where I read that, but it couldn't be truer.

I would argue they change within minutes, lol. We saw that last year at TE.

I'm kind of scratching my head at Scot's 1st round picks the past 2 years.  Scherff and Doctson were both picks that have almost 0 chance of becoming home run picks.  It seems like Scot's strategy is more to "not miss" than to pick up a guy who will be an all-timer.  I have no complaints about any of his drafting other than the 1st round.

It makes sense though. You gotta hit your 1st round picks, as whiffing on them can be disastrous. And even if the guys we took weren't "home runners', I see many Pro bowls in Scherff's future and I think Doctson is going to be a lot better then some of the guys you mentioned. I could see him being in the Deandre Hopkins mold.

Just for comparison Hopkins was drafted 27th overall and put up 1500 yards and 11 TDs last year and that was on a team with basically no QB and no other receiving threats. As a rook Hopkins put up 800 yards which I think is reasonable for Docston if he overtakes a starting role which I forsee happening.

Right, I think you kind of answered your own question.  I think the real question is where would Doctson have been drafted if he had entered the draft last season?  Also, I think people should ratchet their expectations of Doctson way down.  If he is a successful pick, it is infinitely more likely that he ends up being a Steve Smith (NYG), Chris Chambers, Dwayne Bowe type of guy rather than an all-timer like AJ Green, OBJ, Larry Fitzgerald, and other such receivers that people are trying to compare him to.  The history of senior WR prospects just don't have that kind of upside - those guys have already declared for the draft by the time their senior years come around.

Last season, pure guess would be 3rd round. If he ends up having a career like Reggie Wayne or Roddy White I'll be happy.

Doctson has a lot of potential. But sure, what that potential finalizes into at the NFL level could be anything at this point. His work ethic and demeanor are going to help him out a lot. 

Scot's draft strategy is go safe round 1, go for the risks later through the draft. It's hard to argue against it given his success overall in team building.

Why does Scherff have 0 chance of being a homerun? He cold very well be a great guard for us for his career. That's a homerun. 

I thought Scherff is already at least a triple. I remember the middle of our oline being a sieve for 5-6 years now. Last year was the first one I ever remember seeing a pocket that a QB could step up in.  Solidifying the middle to me was huge. I'm not sure how many sure fire "home runs" happen by the 23 pick, but a ton of really good players can be gotten there. I also know a lot of sure fire HRs strike out.

There's a lot I'm liking about our first rounder looking forward. Hopefully, he fulfills his potential.

The only thing that strikes me as odd is that throughout the preseason everyone was saying how this year's draft was perfectly aligned to our needs. That made me pretty sure we'd go D-line. So, I'm looking at this pick and smiling, but scratching my head too. Mostly though, I've read a bunch about him so far and it has been glowing. Everyone seems to really think highly of this young man's prospects... and Scott has done nothing in my eyes not to be given every benefit of the doubt.

Head scratching aside lol

Anybody read this article?

http://www.thebackyardbanter.com/reception-perception-2016-nfl-draft-prospects-results.html

IMHO, analytics seem to suggest an elite player, or at least the best WR in the draft.

Yeah PFF said the same. We'll see, I don't think those are 100% accurate, but at the very least he should project to be a real good #1 WR, just a notch below the superstar ones.

Yeah I'm not sure why Gruden said he was the most polished. IMO he is incredibly talented but he really needs to work on his route running as he rounds off way too much and more often than not beat CBs with pure athleticism and jump ball prowess. But he seems like a really hard worker. Let him work with Jordan Reed for a couple months (best route runner I've seen in a long time) and sharpen up his routes. 

Who do you guys think is better, josh doctson or AJ green? Right now I have them about even... slight edge to Green since Doctson hasn't gotten his playbook yet. Though once that happens, he'll probably jump him.

Green without a doubt. He's one of the best WR's in the league and just a dominant player. We would be lucky if Doctson developed into a guy like Green, don't over think it and submit to the homerism. He's going to be good but Green is already really, really good.

Who do you guys think is better, josh doctson or AJ green? Right now I have them about even... slight edge to Green since Doctson hasn't gotten his playbook yet. Though once that happens, he'll probably jump him.

Green. He's been in the league for years already and has been able to adjust to the pro game. Lets wait until Doctson gets some playing time before we start comparing him to one of the best in the game. 

Archived