Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Josh Doctson WR TCU

PCS

One thing I'm noticing when it comes to our young pass catchers is how great they are at their most important job - catching the ball.  Jordan Reed has consistently had one of the lowest drop rates since he came into the league.  Jamison Crowder had one of the lowest drop rates for WRs last year.  Doctson comes in with one of the lowest drop rates in his class.  I'm sure Cousins is happy.  So many go-to options he can trust on 3rd downs and in the RZ.

It is an important part of a WR's game that is so often overlooked. To be able to catch the ball anywhere around you.

Most think that because someone is listed as a WR, that they can catch very well, but that isn't the case a good deal of the time. It is something that has to be worked on and perfected. That is something Docston does constantly.

What makes Odell Beckham great? It isn't his size or his speed. It is his hands. Beckham literally catches every football in his orbit. Whether it is with two hands, or one, or one finger, or one thumb. He catches it.

That is what has me excited about Docston. The word on him is he just catches everything. He may not be as big as Treadwell or as fast as Fuller, but he is big and fast enough and he catches everything.

I look forward to seeing him play starting in preseason. :)

As much as I like what Crowder does, I think you've got to have your best players on the field whenever possible. So rather than Doc just backing up Djax or Garçon, ideally we'd move one of them to the slot on a semi-regular basis so Doc can get a lot of playing time outside. Obviously Garçon is the better candidate to do that.

But man, talk about a pass catching rotation.

DJax Doc and Garçon rotating outside, Garçon and Crowder splitting time in the slot, Reed getting the majority of snaps at TE and Vernon Davis coming in for two TE sets. That is an INSANE amount of talent seeing the field in a given game.

If we don't have a top 5 offense this year something is really wrong.

We still have to fix a really anemic running game before we can talk about top 5 O.

It's a passing league. We should be a pass first team with all the weapons and a decent QB in Kirk. And you can absolutely pass to set up the run by getting LBs and safeties out of the box.

Problem last year wasn't so much a weak OL as it was we telegraphed the run (Djax in was a passing play like 80% of the time). That's on the coaches. But if we're creative and dynamic in the passing game, that opens everything up for the run.

It is an important part of a WR's game that is so often overlooked. To be able to catch the ball anywhere around you.

Most think that because someone is listed as a WR, that they can catch very well, but that isn't the case a good deal of the time. It is something that has to be worked on and perfected. That is something Docston does constantly.

What makes Odell Beckham great? It isn't his size or his speed. It is his hands. Beckham literally catches every football in his orbit. Whether it is with two hands, or one, or one finger, or one thumb. He catches it.

That is what has me excited about Docston. The word on him is he just catches everything. He may not be as big as Treadwell or as fast as Fuller, but he is big and fast enough and he catches everything.

I look forward to seeing him play starting in preseason. :)

Hands catchers - that's all you need to know

I don't care how fast someone runs - if they catch with their body they will have dropsies

I don't understand this from WalterFootball:

Doctson will struggle to separate from NFL cornerbacks, who will be able to run with him. He won't challenge those defenders with speed. It also will be harder to complete 50-50 passes against them as well, because they're bigger much better than the corners Doctson typically faced in the Big XII. He is also not explosive or sudden, thus separating will be a challenge in his route-running. Doctson also isn't a deep threat to stretch a defense over the top. If he had speed, he'd be similar to Julio Jones or A.J. Green, but Doctson is a lot slower than those two star receivers.

Josh Doctson Combine 40 time: 4.50

A.J. Green Combine 40 time: 4.50

Josh Doctson 20 yard shuttle: 4.08

A.J. Green 20 yard shuttle: 4.21

Josh Doctson 60 yard shuttle: 11.06

A.J. Green 60 yard shuttle: 11.46

I know that play speed is different from combine speed, but I'm not sure how anyone can say Doctson is "a lot" slower than A.J. Green.  And I disagree that Doctson is not a deep threat.  Just seems like sloppy analysis. 

And I disagree that Doctson is not a deep threat.  Just seems like sloppy analysis. 

Playing off of this.  From PFF

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/blog/article-1/Pro-Football-Focus-Grades-Josh-Doctson-Pick-An-A/fa74a655-8287-4d7a-8dc2-f20d917b4152

His ball skills will give him a chance to become the most productive deep threat in the draft, even better than the faster Fuller. Doctson’s catch radius will make Redskins QB Kirk Cousinsicon-article-link.gif look even better and he adds yet another dimension to an already well-rounded passing game.”

I don't understand this from WalterFootball:

Josh Doctson Combine 40 time: 4.50

A.J. Green Combine 40 time: 4.50

Josh Doctson 20 yard shuttle: 4.08

A.J. Green 20 yard shuttle: 4.21

Josh Doctson 60 yard shuttle: 11.06

A.J. Green 60 yard shuttle: 11.46

I know that play speed is different from combine speed, but I'm not sure how anyone can say Doctson is "a lot" slower than A.J. Green.  And I disagree that Doctson is not a deep threat.  Just seems like sloppy analysis.

This is the most damning part "If he had speed, he'd be similar to Julio Jones or A.J. Green, but Doctson is a lot slower than those two star receivers."

How can anyone be similar to Jones and Green...they are nothing alike?

Yea, when I read this from Tandler today I wasn't even annoyed or disappointed that the Colts took Kelly before we could.  Even though C is our biggest hole on offense, and Kelly would have been a great pick, I'm just so high on this Doctson kid that reading that Kelly would have been the pick doesn't phase me.  I'm almost thankful for what the Colts did. 

Tandler:

I have heard from some people I consider to be reliable and have read from some media types that the Redskins’ top target in this draft was Alabama center Ryan Kelly. If he had been there when pick No. 21 came up McCloughan would have turned in a card with his name on it.

Great article/video. Thanks for posting the link.

Just curious - anyone worry his athleticism and/or speed could be impacted from the additional bulk he's putting on? For the former, I worry that increased muscle mass could decrease flexibility (maybe?)

Just curious - anyone worry his athleticism and/or speed could be impacted from the additional bulk he's putting on? For the former, I worry that increased muscle mass could decrease flexibility (maybe?)

The article said the more muscle he put o. The lower his 40 got, so I don't think it'll be an issue for him. His frame seems to be meant to have a bit more muscle on it than he had in college.

6'2" and 202 lbs. He can get up to 215 with that frame without being slowed by muscle bulk. Right now he'd simply be adding more lean muscle to his frame. If anything, it could help increase his speed. Realistically, wouldn't be surprised if he started the season around 208.

Doctson is an absolute stud and I'll be shocked if it doesn't translate into the NFL. I stated time and again before the draft Doctson looked every bit of the NFL star. I was low on Coleman and the Browns selecting him likely reinforced my belief in that eval.

Anyway, we like to compare our GM's ability at certain positions. Last year GMSM had a keen eye for Crowder. So, if we were to assume that same acumen for a 1st round WR, should be great. 

The article said the more muscle he put o. The lower his 40 got, so I don't think it'll be an issue for him. His frame seems to be meant to have a bit more muscle on it than he had in college.

Ok ... I must have misheard on the video. I thought they said his 40 time increased, not decreased with extra muscle mass.

6'2" and 202 lbs. He can get up to 215 with that frame without being slowed by muscle bulk. Right now he'd simply be adding more lean muscle to his frame. If anything, it could help increase his speed. Realistically, wouldn't be surprised if he started the season around 208.

I don't recall them mentioning in the video what his new weight was with the extra bulk.

I have to think he's topped 210 already based on the photos.

I believe it was Bill Walsh that said the difference between the great players and the goats, is the work ethic and study.

That's why I like to compare Josh Doctson to Jerry Rice.

Student, humble, hard worker, catches everything.

Ok ... I must have misheard on the video. I thought they said his 40 time increased, not decreased with extra muscle mass.

I don't recall them mentioning in the video what his new weight was with the extra bulk.

I have to think he's topped 210 already based on the photos.

They said he's added 10 lbs. Assuming that's from the college 196 then he's at 206 now. He's been working on this since before the combine so it makes sense that he's added 10 lbs of muscle to a skinny frame in about 5 months. That's 2 lbs of muscle added each month which is serious dedication.

:D Lesson learned: No leaks on this team.

This one gets me mad. I was wrong in a blog entry I wrote before the 2016 NFL Draft that the Redskins pick was coming down to an Alabama lineman. I was told that trio of finalists were center Ryan Kelly, defensive tackle A'Shawn Robinson and defensive tackle Jarran Reed. Kelly didn't make it to the pick, and the Redskins passed on the defensive tackle for Josh Doctson. That was some bad information, and I apologize to the readers for it; I was fed smoke there. Days earlier, I asked sources at the Redskins about taking a receiver and they said, "Hell No!" So, I was misled there. I'm told the Redskins would have taken Kelly if he had made it to their pick, but I don't know how can I trust that information. Definitely a lesson learned on my part.

https://www.yahoo.com/

Josh Doctson stands out and other observations from Redskins rookie minicamp

T

The Washington Redskins on Saturday held the second session of their three-day rookie minicamp, giving seven draft picks, 14 undrafted free agent signings and 33 tryout players an opportunity to learn the system and attempt to impress coaches and team officials.

Five second-year players — running back Mack Brown, offensive linemen Austin Reiter, Takoby Cofield, Cody Booth and defensive lineman Corey Crawford — also took part. All are technically considered in their first year because of a lack of playing time in 2015.

Players arrived Friday, received a crash course in half the playbook, practiced, then had the second half of the playbook thrown at them this morning before returning to the practice field, so it’s tough to get a definitive picture of their capabilities. But here are some observations from Saturday’s practice:

• First-round pick Josh Doctson, listed as 6-foot-2, 202 pounds, naturally stands out. Doctson said the Redskins’ pass routes differ from those at Texas Christian mainly because the pro game has deeper breaking in and out routes. He also said he probably has run more double-move routes in the past two days than he did all of last season. Doctson observed veterans Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson in action earlier this week during voluntary workouts. He said both lead more by example than they do vocally. But he’s fine with that, because at TCU, he had the same leadership style.

• Doctson had a hard time getting an accurate pass thrown his way Saturday. He routinely got separation, but on one red zone play, rookie quarterback Nate Sudfeld led Doctson out of bounds on a fade, and another time, Doctson broke to the inside and Sudfeld threw to the outside. At one point, Gruden told the quarterbacks that he was going to just throw the passes himself if they couldn’t do better. Gruden later chuckled and said it was “a meaningless threat,” but added, “When we have a 6-2 1/2 wideout, who has a 40-inch vertical, there’s nothing more that drives me crazy than having it be thrown out of bounds, so I got a little upset.”

<more---inc. comments on other rookies---at link>

• 4 weeks later...

Archived