Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Josh Doctson WR TCU

PCS

Been saying it all year, best WR in the draft.

Exactly what we need with Garcon and Jackson in contract years.

All hail McCloughan.

Agree.  This is what bpa means.  He was not drafting for need, he was drafting for future need and it takes a year or two to get WR up to speed for the most part.  This was a good pick for the Skins, especially since DT is so deep this year.  I had them taking A'Shawn Robinson or Jarran Reed and neither of them was even  taken in the 1st round. 

httr

The ES reaction to this is a bit startling to me. Most years you would expect a nuclear meltdown. People would look at our D line, our safety position, and maybe running back and Center and think... WTF! We're good at wide receiver. First rounders need to start!

Doctson fills a sideways need. We need another end zone threat. We need receivers with size who can help in the run game, but he really is a forward looking pick. If we went forward with Garson, Djax, Crowder, Ross, and Grant few would have really been upset with the team. In fact, you can make an argument that it will be tough for the rookie to find playing time. It's hard to imagine he'll supplant Garcon or DJax and Crowder showed really good promise in the slot. Still, it feels like a good if slightly strange pick.

I guess in Scott we do actually trust.

One of the advantages that SM has over the fan base (other than that he actually can evaluate players) is that he knows where various player negotiations are headed.  People keep saying that we have huge cap space in 2017, but that wasn't true even before the Norman signing.  Cousins has made it pretty clear that he wants big guaranteed money, which means that he needs a pretty big guaranteed salary in his first or second year, or both.  Even if Cousins only counts 18M against the cap in 2017, that leaves about $20M in cap space (plus the year-to-year increase in the cap), with no JR, no Garcon and DJ with a dummy year (presently counts $0 in salary against the 2017 cap, with a 1.25M prorated bonus).  DJ won't be playing for free next year.  Picking up Doctson now lets SM evaluate if he needs either PG or DJ in 2017.  This was definitely a pick for replacing a high dollar player with a low dollar rookie contract, and I love it.  I can also see a trade upcoming - both PG and DJ have $8M cap savings for 2016.  Calling Bill Belichek - would you like a burner at WR to make up for that lost draft pick?

I keep wondering if Doctson is the "football player" that GMSM was referring to when he indicated in an interview that he had a player in mind when the Redskins are on the clock.

He's definately a football player, and he'll keep on going after more football players in Rounds 2 to 7.

I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Doctson was his player all along and were pretty pleased to see him fall into our braces.

a humble one too.

He's the kind of guy who can be tops in the league and you can really fall in love with. Not a look at me type.

It's probably a bad comparison, but somehow I am getting a Larry Fitzgerald vibe. Maybe it's just the vacuum cleaner catching skills and that the whole seems to be more than the sum of its parts. I seem to remember Larry not being fast, but having great hands, routes, and was a consummate student in the film room.

Really liking Doctson more and more.

He's going to need some coaching, but between his hands and vertical, the man can catch balls at heights most CBs probably can't even get a finger on. Mix in his acceleration and he could build separation, and then catch a ball that would probably bounce off the top of a basketball backboard.

One handed.

Treadwell is more "complete" (hot take there, I know), but Doctson is just a physical mismatch with that vertical. If he can add some muscle and polish his game he'll be so unbelievably dangerous inside the opposing 20.

Looking forward to seeing Doctson have a 1300 yard season in 2018, and then reading all the ESers complain about how we don't have a genuine #1 WR on the roster.

Heck, the Redskins could win three Superbowls in a row and some ESers would complain saying that we are in deep **** because we don't have a good back up long snapper.

It appears Scot trusted his draft board - if Doctson is the highest graded player when you have your pick, you take him.

From reading most of what people posted here, I like the pick. He seems to check all the Scot boxes.

- eat, breathes and lives football (no. 1 Scot trait imo)

- good size and athleticism

- while not top end speed, it appears he has really good game speed. top end acceleration after a move or plant, late separation from corners when the ball is in the air (Scot says he wants guys with game speed, not 40 times)

- great ball tracking and body control (this is DJax' biggest attribute, even more so than his speed imo)

- played top competition in college

- gives us a lot of flexibility next year.  I wouldnt be surprised if garcon and DJax are offered very team friendly deals next year and told to test the market.By having doctson, crowder, grant (if he survives) all on affordable rookie contracts, it frees up cap space while not ignoring or having a talent vacuum at WR. 

- plus there seems to be a ton of high value DTs left on the board

I am not talking myself into liking the pick, I like it. 

It's probably a bad comparison, but somehow I am getting a Larry Fitzgerald vibe. Maybe it's just the vacuum cleaner catching skills and that the whole seems to be more than the sum of its parts. I seem to remember Larry not being fast, but having great hands, routes, and was a consummate student in the film room.

I like the comparison, only because of the Treadwell/Boldin comparison.

I'm not saying he's the second coming of him, but I think he compares best to Jerry Rice or Tim Brown. Maybe Chris Carter for play style, but not his attitude.

Was kind of leaning toward one of the stud DT's but I'm pretty happy with this pick.  Hopefully he'll develop into a solid #1 in the future.  He definitely has the physical tools and hand.  The great thing is he doesn't need to come in and be "the man" this year.  Welcome Josh.

AJ Green a better comparison?

Yeah,..I'd say that's probably more in the realm of reality. 

One thing I'm really looking forward to is in 2-3 years when each time we play the Giants we get 1st and goal on the 1 about three times a game because Eli Apple interferes with Doctson in the end zone to try and keep him from leaping 12 feet off the ground and catching a TD at a height that Apple can't even reach.

One thing I'm really looking forward to is in 2-3 years when each time we play the Giants we get 1st and goal on the 1 about three times a game because Eli Apple interferes with Doctson in the end zone to try and keep him from leaping 12 feet off the ground and catching a TD at a height that Apple can't even reach.

An Apple a day won't keep the Doctor away...

Im here all week, fellas.

There's more qualities to Josh Doctson than reported in any synopsis I've read; and I've read a lot of analyses.  Watching his 2015 games over at Draft Breakdown, what stands out is that he always has his eye on the QB; never gives up, his focus is incredible.  Yes, his catch radius is incredible but his speed to separate is what is admirable when the ball is in the air.

Doctson looks like he excels in zone defenses as he finds the open spot so often,  He runs curls, flags, posts, hooks, slants, buttons very well but each route is tuned to what the secondary gives him.  He's kind of a sleeper when in press coverage using his body well to brush off the contact then separating when the ball is in the air. But watch how he's always looking back at the QB, even when his number isn't called.

I love how every catch is with two hands and he protects the ball very well before during and after contact.

It's uncanny how many touchdowns he catches in every part of the end zone.

His run blocking can improve but that could be attributed to his coaching telling his #1 player to "not kill yourself out there."

His professional demeanor is something that also has not been reported too much.  The guy never gets to jacked up even when there's clearly a lot of late and dirty hits.  This guy is a pro.

http://draftbreakdown.com/players/josh-doctson/

I'm just glad we have a GM that goes BPA in the first round. People are ripping on his 40 time, but look at Larry Fitz, or Chad Johnson, or Michael Irvin, or TO, or....... Jerry Rice. Not as important as on field speed.

Doctson, DJax, French Waiter, Crowder, and Reed. That's a pretty nice 5 spread for Kirk.

Archived