Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Welcome to the Redskins Josh Doctson WR TCU

PCS

Some more assessments of JD

An extremely productive player throughout his time at TCU, Josh Doctson finished his collegiate career as the school's all-time leader for touchdown catches (28) in just three seasons. This makes sense when you watch Doctson's game, as he's arguably the best vertical receiver in the draft, able to high-point the ball with extremely strong hands and impressive body control. His catch radius is off the charts, as he'll seemingly catch anything thrown his way. Doctson has a long body with a relatively narrow frame, but he uses his length well to block out defenders and make plays on the ball. I use Allen Robinson as a comparison below, as their play styles are fairly similar, though Robinson is built much thicker and I suspect Doctson should time better at the combine, though he won't blow up any stop watches. As Mike Mayock would say, he's more quick than fast.

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scouting-Reports/Scouting-Report-Josh-Doctson.asp

Top eight most explosive prospects in 2016 NFL Draft

4. Josh Doctson, WR, TCU

One could argue that former Notre Dame receiver Will Fuller is the most explosive receiver in the class, if great speed was the most important criteria. But I'll go with Doctson here, as his striding speed is more than enough to threaten NFL defenses deep. And once the ball is in the air, he has the vertical, length, and upper-body strength to win 50-50 balls. As he continues to grow in a pro strength and conditioning program, look for Doctson to be the playmaker everyone projects. It won't be a surprise if he's the first receiver off the board.

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/0ap3000000650550

Never heard of Doctson before we picked him.

Never considered us taking a WR.

But, I'm seriously loving the way every single draft watcher praises the way he CATCHES THE BALL. To me, that's pretty much the only important characteristic of a receiver. (And my opinion is, one of the hardest to "coach up" or improve).

I think that's what made Cooley and JReed fan favorites. (Or at least, it's what made me like them). Watching them on a highlight, and thinking "our other receivers don't catch that ball".

(I've also been of the opinion that over the years, Eli has been made to look a whole lot better, because he's had a lot of receivers who have caught some really ugly balls. I've watched a lot of Giants games where my main thought was "Gee, I wish we had those receivers".)

Would not mind at all if we became "those guys".

Very happy with this pick! He is really exciting to watch! He immediately takes RZ pressure off Reed. He will fight for balls like no one we have seen for a long time!

I don't know about 'fight for balls like no one we have seen' as Garcon fights for balls exactly like that.  Garcon is sure handed and an animal.  As far as the vertical leaping ability in the redzone or as a possession receiver, this incoming rookie will see some time on the field.  He's not going to break the big one, but will haul in the deep one!  Route running is poor, but his speed is great.  Can't teach speed.  Don't forget about Vernon Davis in the redzone as well.  Looking like the Receiver options for KC have grown this off season.  Plenty of reason to like this pick and it will be interesting to see what he turns into as a sophomore and junior with NFL experience.  

Lot of people think highly of Treadwell, including over Josh. Nothing wrong with that. This guy looks exciting to me, though. I'm feeling good about it.

Most here, I think, only like Treadwell more because he is taller.

It is the "Anthony Mix syndrome" that has been suffered on this board for years. All anyone wants to know about a WR is "How tall is he?". :)

So happy, we're investing in the future...Welcome, Josh! Make the Burgundy & Gold proud!

Hail!

The ES reaction to this is a bit startling to me. Most years you would expect a nuclear meltdown. People would look at our D line, our safety position, and maybe running back and Center and think... WTF! We're good at wide receiver. First rounders need to start!

Doctson fills a sideways need. We need another end zone threat. We need receivers with size who can help in the run game, but he really is a forward looking pick. If we went forward with Garson, Djax, Crowder, Ross, and Grant few would have really been upset with the team. In fact, you can make an argument that it will be tough for the rookie to find playing time. It's hard to imagine he'll supplant Garcon or DJax and Crowder showed really good promise in the slot. Still, it feels like a good if slightly strange pick.

I guess in Scott we do actually trust.

The ES reaction to this is a bit startling to me. Most years you would expect a nuclear meltdown. People would look at our D line, our safety position, and maybe running back and Center and think... WTF! We're good at wide receiver. First rounders need to start!

Doctson fills a sideways need. We need another end zone threat. We need receivers with size who can help in the run game, but he really is a forward looking pick. If we went forward with Garson, Djax, Crowder, Ross, and Grant few would have really been upset with the team. In fact, you can make an argument that it will be tough for the rookie to find playing time. It's hard to imagine he'll supplant Garcon or DJax and Crowder showed really good promise in the slot. Still, it feels like a good if slightly strange pick.

I thought you writers were supposed to lead with your point.

Right off the bat, I'm not feeling it.  Just feels like WTF after the way we were run out of the playoffs and those 2 big Alabama DT's sitting there. I hope to God his talent is head and shoulders over the closest defensive player,... But, it's early and there's still plenty of opportunity to the build the D.

Agree. Im sitting there saying what is he thinking. Yes we got a good receiver but how much is he going to play with the guys we have. It is a nice pick if you already have a championship defense in place. How many times has our GM watched last years Packers game. I wanted a move up to get Kelly or a impact player on D. Then all the teams better than us scoop up the good D linemen, wtf.

I think part of it also is that this draft is supposed to be so deep in interior DL (and a good deal of them fell out of the first round), that we know it can be addressed in the second and/or third round tonight.

Agree. Im sitting there saying what is he thinking. Yes we got a good receiver but how much is he going to play with the guys we have. It is a nice pick if you already have a championship defense in place. How many times has our GM watched last years Packers game. I wanted a move up to get Kelly or a impact player on D. Then all the teams better than us scoop up the good D linemen, wtf.

Relax.

Do you see all the DL that didn't go in the first round? There are plenty, PLENTY left.

We may not get one of the more touted ones like Billings or Reed, but we will get a good one, IMO.

Remember, the Redskins still have a minimum of seven picks left. The draft is not over.

Breathe. :)

Relax.

Do you see all the DL that didn't go in the first round? There are plenty, PLENTY left.

We may not get one of the more touted ones like Billings or Reed, but we will get a good one, IMO.

Remember, the Redskins still have a minimum of seven picks left. The draft is not over.

Breathe. :)

Your right. The more I watch the clip of of Doctson jumping through the ceiling and catching the ball with 1 hand the more I like the pick. Hard to pass on a guy like that esp if he is a clean kid. Happy for him.  I have always been a disciple of "best player available" and then when we do it I freak out. Many years of seeing teams march down the field on us with little resistance will do it to you.

Drafting for need will screw you in the long run.  You have to be disciplined and take the best player available.  Even if you have a surplus in that position because you will still end up with valuable, tradable assets.  When a GM drafts for need they get desperate.  They tend to overlook some faults because the guy you need for a position is better than what you have.  But he may not be the better football player.  Take the 2008 draft where everyone clamored for receiving threats.  So Devin Thomas, "Malcomb" Kelly, and Fred Davis were drafted.  None of them are in the NFL anymore. 

I believe our scouting staff valued Doctson above all others and made the smart choice.  Scot is right about this league and scoring points.  The Redskins do not have a similar player on the roster.  There is no one who can go up in the end zone and consistently win a 50/50 ball.  Jordan Reed is a big body but you don't see him skying over defenders.  Garcon is tough as nails but he's about 6 footish and relies more on being physical.  I think I've seen him catch one ball over another defender since he's been with the Redskins. 

If Kirk had a threat like Doc vs Greenbay then they would have split him out by himself and thrown him a jump ball.  If the Redskins are up 19-0 Rodgers can no longer be patient and stick with the run.  He was looking shaky as a passer and our defense could have just blitzed him into submission. 

Having a red zone threat like that changes EVERYTHING for a DC.  That is so important because horizontally space is condensed and an offense that is trying to pass from the 8 to 1 yard line is at a disadvantage.  It's hard to get players wide open in such a tight space because the defense is not stretched vertically.  If you can throw over the defense then the advantage switches back to the offense.  Because now the defense will have to bracket that jump ball threat.  That leaves 1v1 matchups for players like Reed.  (Two men on me somebody's free).  It also keeps the safety honest and out of the box for run defense. 

So, Doctson's ability to win a jump ball in the red zone will be a huge benefit in terms of scoring touchdowns in the red zone.  Interior DL can be found in the later rounds.  You don't typically pay an interior DL high dollars anyway.  So, that position is going to be targeted more today which is in line with their value.  The Scot knows a lot more about football than we do.     

Right off the bat, I'm not feeling it.  Just feels like WTF after the way we were run out of the playoffs and those 2 big Alabama DT's sitting there. I hope to God his talent is head and shoulders over the closest defensive player,... But, it's early and there's still plenty of opportunity to the build the D.

Still sitting there too ... 

When you play fantasy do you load up on the deepest position in the fantasy draft immediately or do you take the studs elsewhere early and then load up on the area that has the most depth?

"Team needs change every 2 or 3 years. Talent stays on the team for a decade."

Can't remember where I read that, but it couldn't be truer.

I keep wondering if Doctson is the "football player" that GMSM was referring to when he indicated in an interview that he had a player in mind when the Redskins are on the clock.

Great question.  I came here this morning looking for Scotty Mac quotes to learn the answer.  My best guess I think is not the same dude.

I don’t like taking receivers in the 1st round. It’ s too much of a gamble and I’ve seen this go wrong plenty of times. However I will say I have complete confidence in the guy pulling the trigger on taking a receiver in the first round. Good Luck kid.

By the way this means this is DeSean Jackson’s last year in DC.

Archived