Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your Expectations for Dan Quinn in 2024 and his overall career here?

88Comrade2000

I am disappointed that we had to settle for Quinn (to put it mildly), and I think that is the way to describe this hire. He was presumably the only viable candidate left. The key to his success and his ability to generate excitement IMO depends on his coordinator hires. We didn't get the splash with HC, so they need to get it with the coordinators. I would expect 8-9 wins, but the next few months could change my assessment. 

Edited by FordBailey

A guy like Dan Quinn can lead a team to greatness if his QB is great.  As in, equal to or greater than Matt Ryan.  And I hate simplifications like that, but when it comes to QB I think it really is that simple.  When it comes to coaching defense on the same team as Dak, it gets complicated...defense was great..had inuries..blew it vs green bay... how great IS Dak..who's really choking in those playoff games, dak or the defensive scheme...dallass gets all this attention and hype... what a mess.   How about a nice boring no-hype - do what you do, be a leader, let your coaches coach, let your GM build the team, let your owner stay away like the great teams do.

Problem here is everything is new, from the ground up.  So expectations should be around a losing/growing season. I agree with those that predict we get better as the season goes on;  opposite of last season.  A big part of that is players believing that things can get better.   This past season was: everyone's getting replaced, **** it.  This coming season will be the opposite. 

I preach about "only QB matters" but it's a big team. It has to be built with the right players at the right positions with the right motivation.  Seems Quinn is a hell of a motivator.  Seems our GM is a hell of a team builder.  We should stay excited as we were a week ago about Peters.

We as fans have the impossible task of being patient lol.  At the same time, we're expected to: A-trust new beginnings and B-act like it hasn't been a win now **** show for a quarter of a century.  Shanahan was supposed to be "Snyder is hands off".  Gruden was somewhere in the middle and Rivera was literally given control of everything.

Snyder is gone.  This is an expansion team.  And so far it's being run like a normal team.  Quinn is a "normal" hire.  An experienced coach.  The young coaches around the league look fun and all, but we don't have that luxury.  We really gotta start from square one and I like it. 

So next season expectations?  WHO THE HELL KNOWS.  We are an absolute wildcard of a team.  History says we get around .500 or worse this coming year but the QB will determine that. 

This will be the most exciting, promising offseason we've ever seen.  I've already not cared much about wins and losses for awhile now.  So let's not gripe about who should have been head coach and watch this team build.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

What's the over under on when this thread title changes to "fire Dan Quinn".  "Ols" week 2? 3?

Hey, I posted "SELL THE TEAM JOSH" on a thread once we started losing - a lot - several posters got upset with me...

was thinking the same about the Official FIRE DAN QUINN thread too. 

this is why we dont have nice things...  LOL

• Haha 1

Quinn has thrived as DC when given lets face it two great units in Seattle and Dallas. In those times he got to coach the likes of Kam Chancellor, Richard Sherman, Earl Thomas, Michael Bennett, Bobby Wagner, Micah Parsons, Steph Gilmore, Trev Diggs I can go on and on. So getting that amount of talent to work with doesn't really tell me much about him, the 5 years in Atlanta where he was running the show that's where you learn about him, he churned out mediocre defences every year bar 2017, and we all know how reliant his success was on Kyle Shanahan.

I was really hoping that Washington would be the 49ers in this scenario, taking the young offensive mind or at least being patient until the right one came up rather than committing years of a rebuild to mediocrity, I suspect what we'll see is a young OC like Kubiak come in, then if he does well he'll be off to a progressive franchise and another face will be added to the list of ex coaches.

There's never been anything to suggest that outside of having Kyle Shanahan, Quinn can pull away from a .500 record so I think we've got a number of years of picking between 12 - 16 ahead of us, again, deep joy.

Coaches can only get so far without talent, end of the day it will be Peters job to get Quinn talent and Quinn's job to make the most of it.

People joke about the culture thing, but Dotson even mentioned the need for it.  Ron was too busy being the most powerful football person in the organization to focus on what was really needed from here, that won't be the case with Quinn.

End of the day, if Peters gets Quinn talent and Peters doesn't believe he's getting appropriate results out it, he'll be replaced.

Folks are putting too much on what Quinn will do, when given talent he actually does well.  So I expect a franchise that falls forward for a change, actually has talented players and a coach the players love playing for. 

Doesn't promise a championship, sometimes it takes something special for that to happen:

SmartSelect_20240202_042642_Chrome.jpg

• Thanks 1

Since we've hit rock bottom management for almost a quarter century, we can only get better. How, how fast, how long will depend on the new ownership and the directions taken, and choices made. The doubting Thomas in me says wait and see and hope for the best.

hope.png

• Like 1

First , I want to see if players like him as much as the quotes.  This team is a mess and while coaching changes will help, I want to see a FA period where players want to sign here.  If players wait a year or 2 and we do mostly draft additions while facilities are made better, I think any coach would be at a disadvantage.  So ask me again in April.  Haha

11 hours ago, petey hodge said:

When I read Quinn’s press release, I think they’re the same exact words used from Ron Rivera’s signing.

”deserved a second chance as head coach…. Has the respect of the players…. Leader of men… defensive mastermind… was head coach in a Super Bowl… “

im going to read every press release going forward and just imaging its for Ron.

There was a press release for Quinn's hire?

13 hours ago, TheMalcolmConnection said:

Everyone is so angry....

What was our plan besides Ben Johnson? We had a LOT of eggs in the BJ basket (giggity), and it didn't work out. MacDonald was the silver medal strictly because he was unknown, up-and-coming. Granted, I feel some of this too, but jeezus, we're acting like we 100000000% blew this.

Snyder can't hurt us anymore. Just remember that.

That’s the thing, this front office put all their eggs in the Ben Johnson basket which is a major red flag. They seemingly had no back up plan and got left standing at the altar. I’m assuming he got a 5 year deal. He won’t make it past 3 years. 

Edited by BayouBrave86

for the first time in a couple of decades, this team has hired a coach with NO powers.  he doesn't have any personnel responsibilities, that belongs to peters.  no more giving total control to a coach, which is refreshing!  my expectations for his first year, getting the defense in the top 10, and i think he can do it.  as far as the offense goes, it all depends on who he chooses as his OC.  i'm hearing chip kelly is open to it.  i don't know how i feel about that, but as long as his job is to coach, that's all good for me.  

15 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

First season is a write off. Rookie QB's dont play like Stroud. EVER. 

HAve we all forgotten RG3 ?

Stroud didn't suffer an Injury though.

Now Is he more exciting than sy Matt Ryan or Big Ben< absolutely.

Theres an interesting chart over here on bleacher repot about rookie WBs in the playoffs.... Man I forgot about Mark Sanchez.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2686382-a-history-of-rookie-quarterbacks-in-the-nfl-playoffs

the one thing this article suggests, rookies that see early success may not win another.  😕  not sure how to process that idea.

I want Quinn to coach the Team. Let the OC and DC coach their sides of the line. Speaking of lines, get good to great players. Get a great QB coach. Special teams is another area often overlooked. 

I'm excited to see what happens. I've been following the team since my parents bought season tickets in '63 or '64. Been through many changes, lived through some great seasons. The DS era is over. Give the new owners and team a chance!

• Thanks 1