Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your Expectations for Dan Quinn in 2024 and his overall career here?

88Comrade2000

My initial opinion is:   I think Quinn is an absolute bridge HC.  Not excited by this hire in the least.  It's a safe hire.  Probably not the best one.  

I think people need to be prepared for another 4-5 win season.  Maybe 6 wins.  This is going to be a slog.  But I do believe you will be able to see more effort and detail in our play than in the Rivera era.  This would be a normal expectation.  

I don't believe he will win a SB here.  Most first time owners get the initial HC hire wrong.  I don't think we'll look back at Quinn as the "wrong" choice, but maybe in the best light as the choice we needed at the time.  

IF they nail the QB AND OC/QB coach, then we can look at maybe a few playoff wins.  I'd love for us to have found our next Pete Caroll, but I don't think so.  

I read months ago that Harris wants a brand new facility in two years.  I think in order to attract better coaches than Quinn, we're going to have to have those built or in the process of being built.  Maybe if we hit on the QB and he turns into a stud that would be enough to sway a better HC prospect with options.  

Quinn maybe finishes about .500 when his time here is done, but I don't believe it's far above that.  I don't believe anyone will be genuinely sad to see him go when the time comes.  When he leaves, I think the sentiment is going to be something like: "Thanks, Dan for setting us on a good path.  Players now believe that success here is possible and want to remain a Redskin.  But...now we gotta go and get a next level dude that can take us further than you can."

Just an initial impression.  My next gut feeling will be halfway through Quinn's second season.  

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Assuming high-quality coordinators and position coaches are hired (yes, I know what happens when you assume...), I see two models:

• Nobody in the brain trust likes the QB options available at the top of the draft, and they trade back to acquire more picks. The plethora of picks plus intelligently selected free agents results in an immediate upgrade into the lower levels of the playoff discussion. The offense is going to be dull next season. Success under this model depends entirely on the Commanders finding their own Brock Purdy very soon. Beyond next season, this either stays at 7-9 wins or turns into the 49ers situation.

• Wonderboy QB is drafted, and the immediate future is a bumpy ride--a 7-to-9 win season would be predicated on Quinn and Peters having an immediate impact elsewhere in the roster. The longer term future is either disastrous if they get the next Zach Wilson, or wondrous if they get the next CJ Stroud. Probably not much in between.

I can't predict beyond that. Too many variables.

Edited by profusion

I thought about this for a day or two and I don't really have firm expectations.  Too many unknown variables.  For example, I think we upgraded our front office, but I am not sure how fast or how big that effect will be.  Likewise, how the QB we take in teh draft pans out, will go a long way to our success in the next four to five years and there is a lot of uncertainty in that.

I think Quinn will be an okay coach.   He has a good reputation as a DC, but I actually view more as a motivational coaches like the Harbaugh brothers, or Mike Vrabel, or Mike Tomlin.   You are not really hiring him for an x's and o's advantage as much as to be a good manager of the team.  In terms of x's and o's he seems good, but his lack of success against the Shanahan tree is a bit worrying as evidenced by the Cowboys recent loss to the Packers.  They gave up 40+ points in losses to the 49'ers and Packers.  Denfese wasn't terrible but lost to the Dolphins who were already on the downswing when the Cowboys played them.   I think as an x's and o's guy he would benefit from bringing in an OC from a Shahahan tree so he learns how to play defense against it.  That said he had Kyle Shanhan as his OC in Atlanta and apparently he didn't learn much about how to defend it, so I do find that worrisome.  I think compared to Mike MacDonald he is a downgrade in terms of x's and o's.  But I think he can command a run, motivate a team, nip potential issues in the butt before they become bigger and in the sense he can be a good coach.

• Like 1

I think Quinn is likely a competent coach. The team's success or lack of such will be determined by the staff and the Front Office's ability to build a good team. 

As always, I'm open to being pleasantly surprised and should we finally land a top 10 QB Quinn's hire could look inspired. And in the inverse, should the other pieces fail to click into place he'll be a bridge. 

I think this is going to be a well coached team.

The success, however, is going to depend a lot on Peters overhauling the roster and how long that will take and how the QB develops.

This is not a good roster.  We might have 4 players under contract who would start for any of the playoff teams: Allen, Payne, McLaurin, Cosmi.  

That’s it.  That’s the list.

Ron left the roster in shambles. 

Quinn has a hard job but Peters’ job is harder.  And it might take a while.  

The 49ers had 2 “meh” seasons as they overhauled the roster before they started winning. 

What we’re going to have to do as a fan base which we won’t do is be patient.  The “he’s a bust” threads will start halfway through the first game and the “bad hire” threads will probably start in preseason. 

The first step for all of us is to recognize this roster is crap and we probably will have a rookie QB.  So it’s going to take time.

My expectation is the team improves throughout the season.  And then improves season over season.  If that happens everything will be fine.  

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 4

1 hour ago, Catatonic said:

I expect a very Ron Rivera-ish result.  

I don't think it will be that bad.  Ron wore two many hats here and had so many distractions going on (investigations in workplace harassment, name change, etc.) And he was battling cancer his first year here.  Not to mention the entire NFC East sucked his first year and I really don't think the plan was win the division with a losing record, basically screwed us out of a top 5 pick.  

I'm hoping they focus primarily on the offensive side of the ball this offseason and draft, do what they can on defense and look to start adding those pieces in next years FA and draft.  

On 2/3/2024 at 8:54 AM, philibusters said:

In terms of x's and o's he seems good, but his lack of success against the Shanahan tree is a bit worrying as evidenced by the Cowboys recent loss to the Packers.  They gave up 40+ points in losses to the 49'ers and Packers.  Denfese wasn't terrible but lost to the Dolphins who were already on the downswing when the Cowboys played them.   I think as an x's and o's guy he would benefit from bringing in an OC from a Shahahan tree so he learns how to play defense against it.  That said he had Kyle Shanhan as his OC in Atlanta and apparently he didn't learn much about how to defend it, so I do find that worrisome.  I think compared to Mike MacDonald he is a downgrade in terms of x's and o's.  But I think he can command a run, motivate a team, nip potential issues in the butt before they become bigger and in the sense he can be a good coach.

I'll point out a fact that seems to have been downplayed by some.  This defense had Stephon Gilmore in a Harness playing hurt (and needing surgery immediately after the game) They were thin on linebackers BEFORE the season started.  They did a good job of trying to disguise all this, but the defense was not built to survive during adversity.  I can't really make assessments of his other games against the Shanahan Treen in previous seasons as I didn't pay much attention to Dallas otherwise.

Edited by Veretax

I dunno, i'm gonna stand over with the pessimistic crowd until I see actual improvements.

For Quill Quinn and the rest of the coaching staff, if they can actually 'teach & preach' the players then things may turn around fairly quickly, but if they all turn out to be the

" ok lets see we're at 2nd & 7 lets call the play that will get the 1st down" then it will be a looooong season. 

The coaches that know how to find and attack opponents' weaknesses, go against the norm on play calling, use the tream strengths to their advantage and strategize are the ones that find success. 

I'm glad that Myenemy is gone because he was the product of a gifted QB; he didn't have the above skillset. Quinn was exploited as well in Dallas so it won't be a surprise if it ends up being the same ol' same ol'...

1 hour ago, skins island connection said:

I dunno, i'm gonna stand over with the pessimistic crowd until I see actual improvements.

For Quill Quinn and the rest of the coaching staff, if they can actually 'teach & preach' the players then things may turn around fairly quickly, but if they all turn out to be the

" ok lets see we're at 2nd & 7 lets call the play that will get the 1st down" then it will be a looooong season. 

The coaches that know how to find and attack opponents' weaknesses, go against the norm on play calling, use the tream strengths to their advantage and strategize are the ones that find success. 

I'm glad that Myenemy is gone because he was the product of a gifted QB; he didn't have the above skillset. Quinn was exploited as well in Dallas so it won't be a surprise if it ends up being the same ol' same ol'...

We have little talent, it’s going to be a long season regardless.

Going to take 3 years to build that Superbowl contending team, assuming we hit on qb.

Year 1: 6-11/7-10

Year 2: 9-8/10-7 - wild card

Year 3: 13-4/14-3 - Superbowl contender

Think you’re underestimating just how bad the roster is. Probably 90% of the roster right now; will be purged in 2 years.

It will take about 3 drafts and 3 free agencies to rebuild us into a legit superbowl contender.

• Like 1

I watched the presser and I have grave doubts about the hire and Adam Peter's credibility. I believe that he straight out lied when he said (paraphrasing here) "we knew DQ was our guy the first time we spoke". Really?

1) Didn't the entire WC executive team fly to Detroit to speak with and as it was assumed, offer the HC position to BJ ONLY to learn mid-flight that he was going to pass?

2) What about Baltimore DC Mike MacDonald?  Didn't he interview with Washington and choose Seattle, ostensibly over Washington?

I think that DQ was a desperation, face-saving hire and will be nothing more than a bridge coach once Harris & Co. get their dance steps down.

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, cboatner said:

I watched the presser and I have grave doubts about the hire and Adam Peter's credibility. I believe that he straight out lied when he said (paraphrasing here) "we knew DQ was our guy the first time we spoke". Really?

1) Didn't the entire WC executive team fly to Detroit to speak with and as it was assumed, offer the HC position to BJ ONLY to learn mid-flight that he was going to pass?

2) What about Baltimore DC Mike MacDonald?  Didn't he interview with Washington and choose Seattle, ostensibly over Washington?

I think that DQ was a desperation, face-saving hire and will be nothing more than a bridge coach once Harris & Co. get their dance steps down.

This has been addressed. Look up some of the articles.

6 hours ago, cboatner said:

You may have watched the presser but apparently you missed about the last 100 pages of the front office thread.

I'll give you the Cliff notes version:

They really wanted to try out the new Shaquille O'Neil Big Chicken joint opening up there so why not interview a coach as well?

image.jpeg.b00b2a7e5c2445a1ac4d974d7e0b1b79.jpeg

https://www.abc12.com/news/business/shaquille-oneals-big-chicken-opening-franchises-in-mid-michigan/article_0f635cf42aa-11ee-bf50-c3e7f7df2351.html

Edited by SkinsFTW
  • Haha 2

On 2/6/2024 at 1:30 PM, 88Comrade2000 said:

Year 1: 6-11/7-10

Year 2: 9-8/10-7 - wild card

Year 3: 13-4/14-3 - Superbowl contender

Think you’re underestimating just how bad the roster is. Probably 90% of the roster right now; will be purged in 2 years.

It will take about 3 drafts and 3 free agencies to rebuild us into a legit superbowl contender.

This is roughly where I am in terms of best-case expectation. Improving by about three wins a year is probably the best that we could reasonably hope for.

So;

Year 1: 7-10

Year 2: 10-7

Year 3: 13-4

I don't really expect improvement to be this linear, but you never know.

9 hours ago, London Kev said:

This is roughly where I am in terms of best-case expectation. Improving by about three wins a year is probably the best that we could reasonably hope for.

So;

Year 1: 7-10

Year 2: 10-7

Year 3: 13-4

I don't really expect improvement to be this linear, but you never know.

I figure it will take 3 drafts and free agencies to rebuild the roster with talent. Only thing that will hold us back, we get it wrong at qb.

• Like 1

I wish him success especially concerning what he said "avoid rince and repeat" from the Falcons debacle. I really don't want him to choke again ala Mar Levy or Kyle.

It's going to take a few years, I would say pending on good draft choices 3 years to be relevant again, and 5 to become a serious playoff contender/SB winner.