Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Your Expectations for Dan Quinn in 2024 and his overall career here?

88Comrade2000

Obviously a lot depends on what direction we take in the draft.  The assumption is that we go for a QB with the second pick, and I think that's most likely, but what if we trade down and/or for whatever reason stick with Howell?

Either way, as has been the case for probably the past decade at least, I expect no more than around 8-9 wins next season, and my expectations won't be heightened until we actually have an 10-11 win season.

For the long term, increasingly so much appears on hitting the right QB.

But I remember your similar thread when Ron was hired. Your expectations were modest at first, but within a couple hours you had us going to the Super Bowl by Ron's second season! I'm probably exaggerating, but remember saying, "that's why they call this place Extreme Skins!"

Edited by hail2skins

My expectations for 2024 is a team that will get better as the season progresses.  We will be a better team later in the season than early in the season.  I'm assuming we are drafting a QB in this draft, probably at #2 but even if we trade down; we are still drafting a QB.  I assume that QB will eventually be the starter in the rookie year, if not from day one.  I expect Dan to see which inherited players mesh with him and his OC. The ones who don't will be gone in 2025. So, this year is more of a feel out year.  So, I expect 6-11 or 7-10 in 2024.

For his overall career here, until it actually happens; I say he's just a stepping stone.  He will rebuild the culture and build a competitive team but I don't think he will be the one to win a superbowl.  He will take us to point B and the braintrust will reach the point where they see Dan can only take us so far.  He will make us an attractive location.  When we decide to move on from Dan in 4-5 years; we will be the Chargers now.  Having the pieces for the most part ready to win it all but just needing the right coach.

Edited by 88Comrade2000
  • Like 1

I expect a lot of growing pains. We’ll likely draft a QB at #2 and we will have all new systems in place. For example, the bills had a rough time with Josh Allen at QB at first. Not saying we will be having that level of success, but I hope to see that type of growth. I think it goes without saying our defense will be much improved this season and moving forward (not a high bar).

On the flip side, we could see ourselves in the Bears territory, where we’re up and down on one side of the ball (offense). Then we reset after 3-4 years. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

For his overall career here, until it actually happens; I say he's just a stepping stone.  He will rebuild the culture and build a competitive team but I don't think he will be the one to win a superbowl.  He will take us to point B and the braintrust will reach the point where they see Dan can only take us so far.  He will make us an attractive location.  When we decide to move on from Dan in 4-5 years; we will be the Chargers now.  Having the pieces for the most part ready to win it all but just needing the right coach.

Agreed. I'm warming up to the hire but only because I see it as a stop gap, part of a long game strategy that's both necessary but also born out of circumstance with the fallout of Snyder's exit and Ron's personnel mess. 

I don't think Q is the coach of the future, much less brought in here to be so–he's the coach that's going to get us to the future. 

• Like 1

The next couple of years will be rough. It's going to be quite a culture shock for Quinn, Whitt, and anyone else who comes here from Dallas, because they're going from a country club environment to a dungeon. I have to admire Quinn's grit coming here, actually.

Edited by BurgundyBooger
  • Thumb up 1

Truthfully I don’t have any expectations for 2024, but I’ll say this, I think Quinn will surprise a lot of us and be a very good coach.  I guess what im saying is if we finish 5-12 this season that’s better then 4-13 right? But that isn’t on Quinn as knock, just in general 

18 minutes ago, BurgundyBooger said:

The next couple of years will be rough. It's going to be quite a culture shock for Quinn, Whitt, and anyone else who comes here from Dallas, because they're going from a country club environment to a dungeon. I have to admire Quinn's grit coming here, actually.

Kinda how I feel as a fan about the entire process FO and all… I don’t think Jesus could have been hired as HC and turned this thing around fast… I see a few years of misery before reaping some rewards 

Edited by Command The 414

Boring answer I know, but it all depends on who the OC is going to be and which players we draft. There could be some very different outcomes based on those variables alone.

I'm guessing that we have an average type first season (8-9, 9-8), which will be a big improvement on last season but will still feel kinda meh. Season two, who knows? I'm going to say for arguments sake that we win the SB!

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Everyone is so angry....

What was our plan besides Ben Johnson? We had a LOT of eggs in the BJ basket (giggity), and it didn't work out. MacDonald was the silver medal strictly because he was unknown, up-and-coming. Granted, I feel some of this too, but jeezus, we're acting like we 100000000% blew this.

Snyder can't hurt us anymore. Just remember that.

• Thumb up 1

When I read Quinn’s press release, I think they’re the same exact words used from Ron Rivera’s signing.

”deserved a second chance as head coach…. Has the respect of the players…. Leader of men… defensive mastermind… was head coach in a Super Bowl… “

im going to read every press release going forward and just imaging its for Ron.

• Like 2