Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Sam Howell Just Got Sacked Again! (Buffalo Edition)

KDawg

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Listening to the whole Cooley podcast.  some of his points.

A.  He's not off Howell, he just had a bad day

B.  He thought Bieineimy called a bad game.  He loved his play calling against Denver.  But against Buffalo, he didn't care for it.  Among other things they didn't move the pocket or use the quick game or committ to the run.

C.  He thinks this O line is below average.  He's not sold on it in run blocking either.  He also doesn't like how they play together.

D.  Receivers are struggiling to seperate

E.  They kept Howell in the pocket without moving him which he said was a mistake especially considering the O line.

F.  He didn't think the secondary had a good game.

G.  While he loves the players on the D line he said over the years it oddly isn't a force against good teams on third and long unlike some other big time D lines.

Agree on all points and I'm particularly glad he brought up the point about our supposedly elite defensive line. Against good teams, they tend to disappear. 

• Like 1

Is the receivers not getting separation, specifically in regards to Terry, potentially related to a lingering issue with his injured toe? To me, at least in the first two games, it seemed that there was just something off about the way he was walking after plays.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CarlH said:

Is the receivers not getting separation, specifically in regards to Terry, potentially related to a lingering issue with his injured toe? To me, at least in the first two games, it seemed that there was just something off about the way he was walking after plays.

Playing with turf toe sucks period.  It's probably the worst injury possible because it teases you and lingers the entire season most of the time.  

14 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

Playing with turf toe sucks period.  It's probably the worst injury possible because it teases you and lingers the entire season most of the time.  

Makes sense. He definitely seems a little hobbled still and I'm sure it's bothering him more than he's letting on.

Pretty funny below.  Before the season, I recall a discussion about the Giants.  My point was while i like their aggressivenes in the off season and their draft looks more ready to contribute than most other teams -- but i would be hypocritical if I predicted a good season from them because like this team their O line is a major wildcard.  So far its not looking good.  Granted playing SF and Dallas doesn't help them.

Screen Shot 2023-09-27 at 2.30.26 PM.png

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Chris 44 said:

G....think that's been brought up around here also.

Yep.  To be fair, I think they put a heavier focus on keeping Allen in the pocket.  Of course, after converting multiple 3rd and longs early, you’d think we’d have seen more of a change (though we did blitz Kam that one time, though I think it was on 2nd down and Allen shrugged him off and waltzed into the EZ).

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

I'm curious what a new DC could do with our defense.

Me too.

53 minutes ago, MartinC said:

That looks like a 3 Jet protection. 6 man protection with 3 Jet being a half slide slide to the right (2 Jet is slide to the left). Back is the 6th man he blocks from centre out on an extra rusher. TE is chipping on his release into a pattern to the right.  Looks like the right call - there are four potential rushers to the offenses right and two to the left. Defense fools the offense here by not rushing from the offenses right but sending the two from the left. 

They probably knew they were going to get 3 Jet against that defensive look and schemed to get two guys singled up on our left while we have 3 guys blocking air looking to their right. You might say Gates should come off that and help Charles (look for work) but he's looking at 92 expecting to have to pick him up off the back. If it is 3 Jet the back should not have picked up 92 he should have either check released after reading the middle linebacker on the basis there is no extra rusher or he should still be in our backfield and be ready/available to help chip to our left.

Wasn’t that the end of the game too?  Reminds me though, Charles has to get his head straight - too many times I’ve seen him not seeing blitzers, passing off guys when teammates aren’t ready/expecting it, or even trying to help Leno or Gates and making the situation worse (I think he’s the one that tripped Cosmi on that screen play too).

Edited by skinny21

39 minutes ago, Conn said:

Yeah anyone with over-enthusiastic dreams of EB being the HC here needs to let it go. Harris (and the GM he hires that shares his values) isn’t going to be on board with a guy who says he doesn’t care about numbers lol. Peace.  

I don't want to read too much into his comments here, but I get the sense that Robinson was upset with the play calling against Buffalo.

image.png.ed8ab230c6f420c7c80c881ef97aae6c.png

Why Bieniemy would say that "we didn't do it good" when referring to passing and rushing (while Robinson was averaging 7 YPC) is bizarre.  

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

7 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree. It doesnt feel that complicated to me.

A.  Young QB who wants to make plays

B.  they need 6 people to block 4

C.  Less receivers are running routes

D.  Opponents have an easier time covering less receivers running routes with more men in coverage

This is a problem formulated in the off season.   What frustrated me with those who defend Ron's work on the O line is their argument centers on whether the O line is passable and hey maybe its just so so and so so is enough.  I don't agree its so so but even if I did -- so so is not the a good high water mark for a team with a QB with only 1 start with the propensity to take sacks in NC.   It's a bad combination. 

Even if i ran with the premise of its so so -- why are we defending C work on any position.  To me its D minus work but even if it I bought that it was the lofty C that some push -- that's not sufficient with a young QB.

Keim is very measured when he criticizes and he rarely criticizes at all yet he touches on that point in his last podcast.

You combine that with the idea that for now it looks like they are getting ZERO starters from this draft class in 2023.  Then in FA, Wylie hasn't been good IMO,  Barton has arguably been their worst player on defense.  And according to PFF Gates has been their weak line on the O line.  All together, it feels for the moment like a disaster off season.

I'll give that the season is young and these guys can turn it around.  But at this given moment it doesn't look hot.  Keim also hit them on the last podcast for not having a single starter from this draft class for 2023.  If I had to pick a way to turn it around its stop this pass happy offense and go some old school run the ball style.

If we had an oline that was 80 percent of what the eagles have we would be a playoff team, with a chance to go deep in the playoffs. But we have a team that needs the 5 oline men and a rb and or te to block the 4 rushers…

2 hours ago, KDawg said:

I didn’t know it was 19 sacks…

Yikes.

At the KC Chiefs, EB had an experienced QB followed by Patrick Mahomes.  It's been a while that he's had to develop a normal rookie.  I'm more interested in developing Howell than I am in winning this season.  The sacks have to end, or he'll develop happy feet in the pocket - or injured.  Howell will be here next season either as the starter or backup.  I'm not sure about the rest of the coaches.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Commanders traded up to draft K.J. Henry

Commanders signed Andrew Wylie

Commanders drafted Braeden Daniels

Commanders drafted Quan Martin

Commanders replaced Cole Holcomb with Cody Barton

🤔Certainly this is not the entire list.  There are probably 5 bad decisions under "not drafted" or "coaches kept" etc.

:229:The Rook

5 minutes ago, The Rook said:

🤔Certainly this is not the entire list.  There are probably 5 bad decisions under "not drafted" or "coaches kept" etc.

:229:The Rook

The woulda shoulda thread about the 2023 draft has plenty that people think they did wrong.

Pace is especially frustrating because the three highest on him before the draft which from what I recall was me, @KDawg and @DWinzit were also the same people who lamented the macro approach that they took to the draft-off season after we watched the draft unfold. 

While they are dealing with Barton and his struggles.  Here is a dude who is killing it both as a LB and a pass rusher and we could have had him for nothing.  It's one in a slew of missteps IMO.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2
  • Thumb up 1

Googly-Moogly... I honestly didn't believe that quote was real the first time I read it.

At least now I know why EBs play calling is the way it is. We found the one guy on the planet who uses analytics less than Ron. Dude just flies w/ his gut.

Our OC is gonna get our QB killed and he does not even understand that he is doing it. What on earth is he watching on gameday and in film review?

And why does every coach on my staff seem to have an affinity for sucking toes?

practical-advice.jpg.c7a2fa5e273fe4a0be0aff33b859afc5.jpg

• Like 2

EB is not good at pressers.  He just isn't.  He sounds like the guy who has been waiting for his chance, having all those "practice" sessions in his head or in the shower, and then when he gets his shot, he just can't do it.

Sometimes you're very good at speaking and don't have **** to show for it. Sometimes you're very good at your job and can't talk about it.  He seems like the latter.

Also, I never understood why we didn't spend a **** ton on coaches/scouting under Snyder. As it says, there's no cap problem! Just spend the money there and everything else will be better, literally. I really hope Harris goes that route. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, NewCliche21 said:

EB is not good at pressers.  He just isn't.  He sounds like the guy who has been waiting for his chance, having all those "practice" sessions in his head or in the shower, and then when he gets his shot, he just can't do it.

I dunno, he strikes me as a guy who doesn’t really care at all how he sounds or what he says.

He’s a meathead for sure.  But when you draw up winning game plans and the players buy-in, it can work.  When you get your QB sacked nine times and, 4 of them occur while trying for a FG down 5+ TDs in the 4th quarter, he sounds like a buffoon.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome