Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My best moment as a Washington fan in 32 years?

Partag

On 9/23/2023 at 9:47 PM, kingdaddy said:

Nothing comes remotely close when you're my age. 

How about the Sean Taylor scoop of an Eagles fumble and dive into the end zone to clinch a playoff spot on January 1, 2006?

34 minutes ago, jjpomeroy said:

How about the Sean Taylor scoop of an Eagles fumble and dive into the end zone to clinch a playoff spot on January 1, 2006?

That was awesome but wasn't nearly as dramatic as Riggo's SB run. 4th and 1 in a tight game and he makes a house call. 

I really loved watching ST play, he would've been a hall of famer. 

Good pull.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

That was awesome but wasn't nearly as dramatic as Riggo's SB run. 4th and 1 in a tight game and he makes a house call. 

Good pull.

Kinda defines the Snyder ownership era.  We only have some great moments to draw upon, but none that match up to iconic moments like the Riggo run versus Miami.

Some other great moments during the Snyder era:

1. Santana Moss end of game heroics versus the Cowboys on Monday night football in 2005.  

2.  Santana Moss TD in OT versus the Jaguars to win the game 36-30.

3. 2006 regular season game versus Cowboys when on the last play - FG attempt by Dallas is blocked and Sean Taylor scoops up the ball and returns getting a face mask penalty, which give us an untimed play for a GW FG.

4.  Incredibly sad play versus Buffalo in 2007 after Sean Taylor passed away where the defense played a man down to honor Sean.

I was in 8th grade when they beat the Dolphins, a freshman in college when they beat the Broncos, and fresh out of college when they beat the Bills.  I figured regular playoff appearances and occasional Super Bowl appearances were going to be the norm.  lol

But if we're talking best moment SINCE that last Super Bowl?

The playoff win over Tampa Bay in 2005 was lots of fun.

2012 was a blast, even though it ended with a thud.

And that Covid playoff game against Tampa with Heinickie?  So exciting, even though we lost...I figured we had NO chance going into that game...

• Like 1

Maybe 10 years old walking down congressional plaza Rockville Md. peaking in window and watching the great Larry Brown jump over tacklers and into end zone,  Hooked me.   

Dexter Manley ringing Danny White's clock, 2nd quarter against Denver SB. We want Dallas. The band wagon articles from TC, on the way to the SB. So many

On 9/23/2023 at 6:14 PM, petey hodge said:

I was a HS senior in 1991.  Thought it was going to be a dynasty that would last one hundred years…..

that said, the RG3 year was pretty fun.  Until it wasn’t.

I was a “graduating” 8th grader.  

I never knew anything other that success for the first 12 years of my life.

And hearing “The Redskins are rge best coaches team in football.”

The. We hired Norv.  The Dan bought the team.

talk about a kick in the nuts. 

13 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

The. We hired Norv.  The Dan bought the team.

talk about a kick in the nuts. 

Don't forget about Heath Shuler. I remember buying into the hype thinking we got our QB of the future and ready for another decade of fun. It seemed like we never recovered after striking out with Heath. Just one thing after another that dug our grave deeper. 

• Like 1

The best moments of the past 32 years have all been off the field.

Gibbs being hired.

The 2000 draft and offseason that amounted to nothing.

Trading away too much to draft RG3

Then the best ever was all of Snyder's **** pile causing him to sell the team.

That 2005 team looked like the legit best team in the NFC except we were stuck with Brunell and they refused to start Ramsey.

12 hours ago, oldskoolfan said:

Don't forget about Heath Shuler. I remember buying into the hype thinking we got our QB of the future and ready for another decade of fun. It seemed like we never recovered after striking out with Heath. Just one thing after another that dug our grave deeper. 

I bought into the Heath hype when he was hitting the goal posts while kneeling at the 20 yard line..He was a couldn't miss pick. OOPS

That 1999 season was fun.  The stadium was rocking for the blowout win against the Lions, before we lost at Tampa on the bad snap on the FG attempt the next week.  Wasn't that win against Detroit the only home playoff win we've had since 1991?  Just crazy, and now the Lions are in the NFCCG later today, leaving us and the Cowboys as the only teams who haven't been there since 1995 (1991 for us).

On 1/21/2024 at 10:58 AM, kingdaddy said:

Good pull.

Amen!

It's a damn shame that Snyder ruined everything. 

While the initial post has aged really poorly, I'll play along.

I was 7 for the Doug Williams super bowl and 11 for the one in 91.  I also barely cared about football, I just rooted for the Skins at that point to piss off my older sister who was a Broncos fan.

Finding ES was probably the best thing that happened over the past 32 years.  Actual game wise...

-  I was at the opening game of Jack Kent Cooke stadium in 1997 when Westbrook caught the TD in overtime to win.  I guess this was pre-Snyder though and doesn't count.

- I was at the final regular season game against Dallas in 2012 where the division was clinched on the back of Alfred Morris running for 200 yards.

- The 59-28 loss to Philly, which was memorable because I got loaded at the ES tailgate and passed out in my seat for the entire 1st half.  The second half of the game was well contested at 28-28, I slept through the part where Michael Vick boat-raced us.

- The Dallas game where we won when Orakpo drew a holding penalty on the last play.  This one was memorable because we were near the Dallas player tunnel and (being a Penn State fan) I yelled at Sean Lee that I loved watching him at Penn State.  He looked up and I yelled "Now you play for Dallas and I hate you!"  We locked eyes for a second and he shook his head and kept on going.  It was my proudest heckling moment ever.

When I sit and think about it, there really hasn't been much to cheer about for the past 3+ decades, has there?

Ranking every Super Bowl champion team from 1-57

1. 1991 Washington (17-2, 53.9%)

Here's the team that DVOA says is the greatest of all time. Washington led the NFL in points scored and was second in points allowed. It lost by a field goal to the Cowboys after an 11-0 start, then sat its starters in the second half of the final week and lost to the Eagles by two points. That was it for losses.

For the 1991 season, Washington was second in offensive DVOA behind San Francisco, third on defense behind Philadelphia and New Orleans and first on special teams. But what's more impressive is where Washington ranks in DVOA out of 1,309 teams going all the way back to 1981. It's the only team to rank in the top 50 for all three phases. (Specifically, Washington is 50th in offense, 36th in defense and 19th in special teams.)

Washington won games during the regular season by scores like 45-0 (Detroit), 34-0 (Phoenix) and 23-0 (Philadelphia). It beat the Falcons 56-17 and the Rams 27-6. Then came the playoffs. A rematch with the No. 8 Falcons ended with a score of 24-7. The Lions made it to the NFC championship despite ranking only 13th in DVOA, only to be pummeled by Washington, 41-10. Washington had a 37-10 lead over the No. 4 Bills with half of the fourth quarter left in Super Bowl XXVI, eventually winning the Lombardi Trophy 37-24 after two late Bills touchdowns sandwiched around a successful onside kick.

• Like 2