Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My best moment as a Washington fan in 32 years?

Partag

As a third generation fan, you don't choose it, it chooses you. I'll never be able to switch teams and it's why I'll argue there are different degrees of fandom, although I would stop short of saying one is superior to the other. Maybe more committed is the right designation. 

The first season I made it a point to watch every game was 1999 and boy was I set up for future letdowns. I thought it was going to be like that every year. But that '99 season had so many great moments that it really cemented my dedication to the team. Off the top of my head, scoring 40+ on the Bears at FedEx, a really great time. I think it was Dan Wilkinson who intercepted a pass or returned a fumble for a touchdown, bumblin, stumblin all the way, you know how it goes. Loved watching Stephen Davis run the ball as well, although that first game of the season where he dominated (yet was a loss to Dallas in OT in excruciating fashion) was perhaps a harbinger of things to come–flashes of brilliance and great play marred by letdowns and crappy finishes. 

Other than that, I was so pumped for the Gibbs revival and was banging the drum for Sean Taylor and ecstatic when we drafted him. My favorite player, no doubt. RIP and to what could have been. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

10 hours ago, sinews said:

Off the top of my head, scoring 40+ on the Bears at FedEx, a really great time. I think it was Dan Wilkinson who intercepted a pass or returned a fumble for a touchdown, bumblin, stumblin all the way, you know how it goes.

That was my first year in the club level and during that game Norv decided at some point to call off the dogs and replaced Brad Johnson with Rodney Peete. The dude sitting next to me was legitimately very upset and throwing a fit, despite my best efforts to explain that we were trying to protect our starting QB against injury in a game we were up 30+ in.  That really was a wake-up call in realizing just how stupid some people out there are.

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 5:14 AM, sinews said:

But that '99 season had so many great moments that it really cemented my dedication to the team. Off the top of my head, scoring 40+ on the Bears at FedEx, a really great time. I think it was Dan Wilkinson who intercepted a pass or returned a fumble for a touchdown, bumblin, stumblin all the way, you know how it goes. Loved watching Stephen Davis run the ball as well, although that first game of the season where he dominated (yet was a loss to Dallas in OT in excruciating fashion) was perhaps a harbinger of things to come–flashes of brilliance and great play marred by letdowns and crappy finishes. 

1999 was like 2012 - a great season that ended ignominiously.  The team was fun to watch, had an offense, and we were finally thinking, Washington is back.  Back like Brigadoon, the mythical Scottish village that reappears from the mist every 100 years.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

• 4 weeks later...

Capitals Stanley cup victory.  After pouring blood sweat and tears together for over a decade, they finally won the cup.  The first person Ovechkin hands the cup off to is Niklas Backstrom.  He's been playing through a nasty hand injury and can barely hold the cup up on his own, so we get this iconic image of the Captain helping his friend support the cup.

nicklas-backstrom-stanley-cup.jpg?fit=12

For me, it’s Q2 with Doug Williams. I was in college at the time, and my buddies and I had a tradition of guzzling a beer when they scored a touchdown. Needless to say, I have very little memory of the second half of the game! 

of course Riggins is the obvious answer, but I didn’t quite have enough time invested as a fan at that point to truly appreciate it. 

Well, just under 32 years ago, this game, right here. December 13, 1992. My father, an old friend of his who had known me since I was born, and myself took a bus trip including tickets to the game and a ride to and from the racetrack in Laurel, the Saturday before the game. This was a nailbiter throughout, until the fumble at the 3:12 mark. We were sitting in the lower level seats, but in the opposite endzone. It took a while for people to figure out what happened, because I'm not sure everyone paid attention to or could see that Danny Copeland had the ball in his hand, running away from the pile. Was his knee down ? Was it a safety  ? Was it a touchdown ? And then the signal came. The place erupted. The three of us grinning from ear to ear. Me, letting out a couple yells. There was still a few minutes left, but somehow, we knew. We had just beaten the Cowboys and we were.going to the playoffs. 

It's not my greatest of all time. That still belongs to Riggins 10 years earlier, but it's way up there.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Spearfeather said:

There was still a few minutes left, but somehow, we knew. We had just beaten the Cowboys and we were.going to the playoffs.

Great memory and great game. However, we were fortunate to make the playoffs that year. After that great win against the Cowboys, we lost at Philly and then at home to a mediocre Raiders team on a Saturday to finish the season 9-7. The next day, the Vikings, having already clinched their division and with nothing to play for, beat the Packers, and that's how we got in. If the Vikings had laid down, they would've played the Packers in the wild card round, Instead, they played us, and Brian Mitchell had a monster day.

28 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

Great memory and great game. However, we were fortunate to make the playoffs that year ...

Well, yeah we didnt clinch with that win , but it was more about the feeling and sitting at 9 -5 instead of 8 - 6 with two games left, we felt confident we would get there. 

54 minutes ago, Spearfeather said:

Well, yeah we didnt clinch with that win , but it was more about the feeling and sitting at 9 -5 instead of 8 - 6 with two games left, we felt confident we would get there. 

I remember four seasons later exiting the Vet after beating Philly and thinking at 8-3 there's no way we're not going. Ugh!

23 minutes ago, hail2skins said:

I remember four seasons later exiting the Vet after beating Philly and thinking at 8-3 there's no way we're not going. Ugh!

And I remember thinking the opposite walking out of Fed Ex after the Buffalo game, following Sean Taylor's death.

16 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

Probably when we beat TB in our last playoff win (2006).

Good game. Classic Gibbs since the Bucs had defeated us just a few week earlier in a real nail-bitter.

Crazy that this team hasn't won a playoff game in nearly 20.yesrs.

The regular season game waa a shootout, while the playoff one was one of the uglier games you'll see.

• Like 1

Like many others It's easy to say the 91 season.

My most fond memory however was a nondescript home loss to the Titans in 2022. Lol

It was my first game watching my beloved team in DC. Growing up in Eastern NM, I couldn't just pop over for a game. There was always something a little more important going on to justify a trip across country for a game. I also refused to let my first game be in Dallas! Lol I decided it had to be a home game. Now I cheated and my first game was actually  in Denver, 10/2021. It was a quick 45 min flight and I decided at 48 I  had to go to my first game! After attending thst game I was hooked and started making preparations for a home game. (As an aside, we ran into Chase Young in downtown Denver after curfew. He wasn't very friendly and refused to sign anything or pose for a picture citing his curfew) lol

So my two boys and  I  went to DC. Of course I would have preferred a game against a NFC east team, especially the hated Cowboys but my schedule didn't jive for those games. 

I was like a kid on Christmas morning. I was smiling so much I think my cheeks were  sore for the next 2 days! Lol Walking up that hill in the parking lot seeing the  beautiful Redskins colors everywhere I looked. I was awestruck. (I also hate the color blue btw and dont own a single garment of clothing thats blue! Lol ) Everywhere I looked I was in awe, the player banners on the light posts, the player caricatures on the stadium walls, the hoggettes were there signing autographs, it was like a dream. Because I wanted to make this day special I made sure I got the tickets I wanted. We sat in the first row directly behind the Redskins bench! We were so close to the action, it was amazing! Aside from the loss it was the most amazing experience. In addition to the game a day earlier I was standing next to the Lincoln memorial, gazing skyward up at the Washington monument! Places I wasn't sure I would ever get to visit!

So undoubtedly this trip was my most memorable moment as a Skins fan!

20221009_161649.jpg

20221009_115219.jpg

20221009_114517.jpg

20221009_104727~2.jpg

20221009_104334~2.jpg

20221008_135227.jpg

20221008_130333~2.jpg

20221008_105321.jpg

20221009_120212.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Glad you got to a game. No picture outside of the Sean Taylor Porta's??? /s

My first game Vikes undefeated came to RFK in 1975 - Ron McDole blocked a FG to ice the game. I think it was snowing. One of the greatest games of all time.

image.png.57d05b87c5bd58ae231b523d53aba3f1.png

Edited by RandyHolt
  • Like 3