Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

My best moment as a Washington fan in 32 years?

Partag

On 9/23/2023 at 9:19 PM, jjpomeroy said:

The Riggins run against the Dolphins!

This is the easy choice for me.  I was 7 years old and my parents were hosting a Super Bowl party.  When Riggo broke free for “the run” everybody went nuts in celebration.  I know I watched the team before that, but nothing else sticks out in my memory.  My defining moment as a fan and the one that made me a lifer.  All the rest has been gravy.  I am so incredibly grateful to have grown up during Gibbs I and I hope this generation of kids can have an era of similar results.  

Edited by Commander PK
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Commander PK said:

This is the easy choice for me.  I was 7 years old and my parents were hosting a Super Bowl party.  When Riggo broke free for “the run” everybody went nuts in celebration.  I know I watched the team before that, but nothing else sticks out in my memory.  My defining moment as a fan and the one that made me a lifer.  All the rest has been gravy.  I am so incredibly grateful to have grown up during Gibbs I and I hope this generation of kids can have an era of similar results.  

I started watching the Skins in the early-to-mid 70s living in the DC area, but moved to the Philly era in late 76. This coincided with the start of the Eagles getting good under Vermeil and, for the Skins, the end of the Allen era and the heartbreak of the few years under Pardee, collapsing in 78 after the 6-0 start and then still the worst loss in team history to me at the end of the 79 season against the Cowboys to miss the playoffs altogether. The way that the 82 season unfolded was just magical. My first ever live regular season NFL game was the opener that season against the Eagles at the Vet, where we came back to win in OT. And then a family friend sending me the original Hogs T-shirt right before the playoffs started.

Of course I laugh at this thread when I read it as "the best moment as a Washington fan in 32 years" and I thought it was only focused on football, and people are bringing in either football memories from over 32 years ago or ones from the Caps and Nats. Not to mention that the OP started it after the 0-2 start.......and we know how it finished! But like you said, I think better days are ahead for the franchise under new ownership.

Edited by hail2skins