Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Denver

KDawg

37 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Anyone have a replay of Courtland Sutton's catch before the Hail Mary?  It looked like he might have been out of bounds, but I couldn't tell in real time.

35 minutes ago, gortiz said:

at least on twitter, lots of people did not make this conclusion ... it was the first thing I thought 

looked all over twitter for it, nothing ... 

31 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

He looked OOB to me but it was super close. Honestly we got a close call in our favor with the Robinson 2 pointer so it kinda balances out.

16 minutes ago, KDawg said:

He absolutely caught it.

2:22:37

https://nfl-video.com/washington-commanders-vs-denver-broncos-full-game-replay-2023-nfl-week-2

11 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Agreed. Even if Logan didn't hold onto the ball, the penalty would've been 15 yards and there's a very good chance we'd have punched it in anyway. But Jamin's forced fumble came out of nowhere and totally changed the complexion of the game. Assist to whomever recovered the ball after it came loose.

Jamin came screaming in to hit Wilson and force that fumble.. like driving 114mph in a 45mph zone fast 😂 

• Haha 3
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, GoDeep81 said:

Don't look now, but Chase Young had a pretty good game! Hope he continues to be a factor and the D can get going before the 30 minute mark next time. Some good, some bad, 35 points and a dub, I'll take it! 

And he's probably not even in true game shape yet. 

• Like 2

Some more drive by drive analysis of Howell's stats. Each bracket is a number indicating the yards gained by the pass and the target of the pass. an incomplete pass is a .0 and the target if the pass. 

Drive 1 [-1(Dotson), 18(Dotson), 5(McLaurin), 21(Robinson), 5(Bates), .0(Dotson)] (4 Rs)
Drive 2 [9(Brown), 8(Brown), 5(McLaurin), .0, 18(Thomas), 5(Dotson), .0(Dotson)] (4 Rs)
Drive 3 [.0(??), ]
Drive 4 [.0(Robinson), 1(Samuel), .0(McLaurin)] 1 R
Drive 5 [9(McLaurin), 9(Turner), 6(Bates), 13(Samuel), 1(Robinson), .0(Bates), .0(Thomas), *4(Thomas)] (6 Rs)
Drive 6 [.0(??), 14(Samuel), 4(Samuel), 3(Gibson), 35(Bates), .0(??), .0(??)] (4 Rs)

Drive 7 [.0(Bates), *30(McLaurin)] (1 R)
Drive 8 [5(Gibson)]
Drive 9 [5(McLaurin), 36(Gibson), 12(Turner)] (3 Rs)
Drive 10 [21(Robinson), 4(Pringle), 8(Brown)] (3 Rs)

*Indicates a TD Pass

So He had 6 drives with 3 or more WRs. That seems hella impressive to me. 

Edited by Thinking Skins
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

42 minutes ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

Not sure what to make of Chase's return.  He did get 1.5 sacks but it's not like he was pressuring Wilson a lot.  Still 1.5 sacks sure is good to see.  Payne was a beast most of the game, the rest took turns making big plays.  

Young still gets washed past the QB way too often or jumps inside and loses the edge. 

He's a different player but for those who recall he reminds me of LaVar Arrington - immense physical gifts who makes occasional game changing plays but freelances too often and can't be relied on play to play to just do his job within the scheme.

• Like 8

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

Young still gets washed past the QB way too often or jumps inside and loses the edge. 

He's a different player but for those who recall he reminds me of LaVar Arrington - immense physical gifts who makes occasional game changing plays but freelances too often and can't be relied on play to play to just do his job within the scheme.

Agree with this, Martin. I've seen Young pushed up the field by tackles more than happy to accommodate him past the opposing QB. But then I see him use the bend and get there. All in all though, I don't get the Lavar vibe as much as I do it's an inconsistency issue.

If Young can fix that and be more disciplined in his play, I think he'll be a very good to great DE. He showed up vs Broncos in that 2nd half and was a force for the defense.

HTTR!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Thinking Skins said:

Some more drive by drive analysis of Howell's stats. Each bracket is a number indicating the yards gained by the pass and the target of the pass. an incomplete pass is a .0 and the target if the pass. 

Drive 1 [-1(Dotson), 18(Dotson), 5(McLaurin), 21(Robinson), 5(Bates), .0(Dotson)] (4 Rs)
Drive 2 [9(Brown), 8(Brown), 5(McLaurin), .0, 18(Thomas), 5(Dotson), .0(Dotson)] (4 Rs)
Drive 3 [.0(??), ]
Drive 4 [.0(Robinson), 1(Samuel), .0(McLaurin)] 1 R
Drive 5 [9(McLaurin), 9(Turner), 6(Bates), 13(Samuel), 1(Robinson), .0(Bates), .0(Thomas), *4(Thomas)] (6 Rs)
Drive 6 [.0(??), 14(Samuel), 4(Samuel), 3(Gibson), 35(Bates), .0(??), .0(??)] (4 Rs)

Drive 7 [.0(Bates), *30(McLaurin)] (1 R)
Drive 8 [5(Gibson)]
Drive 9 [5(McLaurin), 36(Gibson), 12(Turner)] (3 Rs)
Drive 10 [21(Robinson), 4(Pringle), 8(Brown)] (3 Rs)

*Indicates a TD Pass

So He had 6 drives with 3 or more WRs. That seems hella impressive to me. 

Its not just that he was spreading the ball around. But look at how he was spreading the ball around. 

Drive 1. 4 people Get the ball - Dotson, McLaurin, Robinson, Bates

Drive 2. Add in Brown and Thomas so now that's 6 people. 

Drive 5: Add in Turner and Samuel, so now we're at 8. 

Drive 6: Add in Gibson and we're at 9

Drive 10: Throw in Pringle and we're at 10. 

I don't know if its purely a weapons thing or a seeing the field thing or what but this is something. 

• Like 1

Just gonna eat some crow.  I picked Denver to win a close game.  During the game in the first half I had given up on this team - Im sure I was alone in that.  Anyway, the team came back with a ferociousness I don't remember seeing in a long time.  In the past this team would have folded like a chair that resembles the "W" logo I was wearing on my chest yesterday.

Way to come back and prove you had it in ya.  I was wrong.  Happily wrong.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Regarding us going for 2 - I can understand the idea to wait until later in the game - you give your team a bit of hope to hang on to, vs risking not making it and the 2 td deficit feeling that much harder to surmount.  With that said, the penalty made it pretty much a no-brainer, not to mention the momentum shift.  

I didn’t really agree with going for the 59 yarder, even though I understood in real time the combo of Slye’s big leg and thinner air.  I do think Ron understood he was putting his trust in his guys (Slye, the D, and yes, even Cheeseman) and that not making it also wouldn’t have been much of a momentum shift (it’s an expected miss), while making it would have been pretty huge.

I don’t recall Robinson running this…patiently last year.  I also kept waiting for Rodriguez to get some carries - he hits the holes really fast and would be a good change of pace to Robinson’s style (even though they both finish similarly).  Speaking of CRod, he had a really nice lead block on one of Robinson’s tds.  He was pumped about it too.

I kind of get what I think EB is going for (in terms of early play calling) - feels like when he has run, it’s been on 1st.  If they gained a chunk, maybe he’d run it again, but they keep getting stuffed.  So he’s putting it on his qb knowing he’s got a better chance at picking up a 1st passing, and a better chance at picking up yards on 1st and 2nd to reduce the 3rd and longs.  Tough position though as you’re putting more pressure on the oline forcing them in pass pro so often, but then again, you’re also trying to reduce them being in 3rd and long… 

2 tds and a FG off the 3 turnovers the last 2 weeks.  That’s feels pretty good.

Man, Butler got roasted on that deep td.  Playing last man, with his speed and he couldn’t even get close to making a play.  He wasn’t even put in conflict… yuck.

4 minutes ago, ntotoro said:

Next day take... Kareem Jackson needs to miss several games.

Launching, leading with the helmet, hitting a defenseless receiver high.  Absolute garbage.  Similar trifecta to White’s hit on Howell last week.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

They did a "Reverse Uno" and Josh Harris actually gave it to Rivera for his 100th career win.

I thought I saw a locker room video with Del Rio with a game ball as well. Which as well as the D played second half they were as poor first half. Not sure I would have given him a gameball. I'd have given one to EB ahead of him.

6 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I thought I saw a locker room video with Del Rio with a game ball as well. Which as well as the D played second half they were as poor first half. Not sure I would have given him a gameball. I'd have given one to EB ahead of him.

Very kind of Harris. Also even at 2-0, don't expect ownership to extend or keep Ron past this year unless they go one some nuts run in a division where both Dallas and Philly look legit. 

The analytics on going for that long FG instead of punting when your defense was playing mean....probably stood out.

Great comeback win. The adjustments on both sides of the ball were a welcome change. The game could be reviewed like a feedback sandwich. Plenty of good and mistakes to fix before Buffalo. 

44 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

Man, Butler got roasted on that deep td.  Playing last man, with his speed and he couldn’t even get close to making a play.  He wasn’t even put in conflict… yuck.

That was my initial takeaway as well. But the play call/scheme got him burnt - it was not on him. 

We had a double corner blitz called with the only protection behind that the two deep safeties who were split really wide in a two deep look but almost playing outside quarters to protect behind the two corners who blitzed. Whole middle of the field was wide open. It was asking way too much for Butler to carry a receiver to teh post from where he was lined up. The blitz needed to get home to force a quick throw - didn't happen. 

I dont like the defensive design or call there. I can live without seeing us try that again. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Why was Curtis Samuel MIA yesterday? 

Honestly, we just spread the ball around a ton. 9 different receivers caught passes yesterday, all but one of them had more than one catch and none had more than 5 (Terry). Samuel had a 13 yard carry and three catches for 19. He also had a really nice aggressive downfield block on a BRob screen. 

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, justice98 said:

I've watched it a few times, and it looks like that right toe does touch down inbounds at the end.  By the slimmest of margins, but I can respect them upholding the call on the field.  Not enough to overturn it. 

I thought his knee was down outside before the toe

Just wanna complement the board on the bar being raised for the level of football discussion going on across threads right now (especially in these autopsy thread each week @KDawg). It’s amazing what removing the Snyder rot can do, because in the past few years it felt almost fruitless to zoom in on individual plays given the lack of hope for the organization as a whole. The quality content per post ratio has to be higher than I can remember in recent memory right now. Really enjoyable stuff to read (and not just because we’re winning!) 

• Like 9
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 4