Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Denver

KDawg

16 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

They're trying hard to defend Wilson and blame it on the last play of the game, but forget about all of the other bad calls that extended many Denver drives.

He shouldn’t have had a chance to throw the Hail Mary. The pass before was incomplete - a worse call than the 2 pt conversion.

• Like 6

Just now, MartinC said:

The only coaching decision I really disagreed with was the 59FG attempt. That was dumb IMO. 

The D was playing well at that point. Punt, pin them deep and get the ball back in good shape. 

He got greedy.  He should have punted, but I think the defense was stabilized at that point and he trusted them with a short field.  They bowed up and held Denver to a field goal and kept the momentum alive.

That was a bit of a nightmare sequence for the offense.  They got into field goal range, they run an easy pitch and catch over the middle playcall, but Samuel and Dyami run into each other and Samuel ends up uselessly sitting in his ass.  That screws up the whole play because now Sam has to sit in the pocket, and Cooper gets a paw on the ball and swipes it out of Sam's hand.  Sam was actually going to play the fumble off the bounce and try and salvage some yardage, but the OL fell on it right before he could get to it because he wasn't going to have a repeat of last week.  So we lose so much yardage we are taken out of field goal range.  Except that Rivera doesn't seem to want to let go of the field goal and kicks it anyway.  Predictable miss that wasn't even close, and now Denver has a short field.

That could have been a turning point in momentum, but the defense stood tall and Chase made a big play to keep them out of the end zone.  We get the ball back down three, then take over the game.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

He got greedy.  He should have punted, but I think the defense was stabilized at that point and he trusted them with a short field.  They bowed up and held Denver to a field goal and kept the momentum alive.

That was a bit of a nightmare sequence for the offense.  They got into field goal range, they run an easy pitch and catch over the middle playcall, but Samuel and Dyami run into each other and Samuel ends up uselessly sitting in his ass.  That screws up the whole play because now Sam has to sit in the pocket, and Cooper gets a paw on the ball and swipes it out of Sam's hand.  Sam was actually going to play the fumble off the bounce and try and salvage some yardage, but the OL fell on it right before he could get to it because he wasn't going to have a repeat of last week.  So we lose so much yardage we are taken out of field goal range.  Except that Rivera doesn't seem to want to let go of the field goal and kicks it anyway.  Predictable miss that wasn't even close, and now Denver has a short field.

That could have been a turning point in momentum, but the defense stood tall and Chase made a big play to keep them out of the end zone.  We get the ball back down three, then take over the game.

I believe it was Wylie who made the recovery and had the same thought that Howell would scoop it and at least throw it out of bounds, but credit to Wylie to pounce on it. 

I guess that was the sequence where Chase ran down Wilson on third down? That was his most impactful play.

I think Ron went for the 59 yard field goal because they were In Denver. The air is thinner and dryer than other stadiums. Sly has a strong leg but accuracy is his biggest problem. Of course Cheeseman is a problem too.

I don't have a problem with us running the ball in the second half. I think EB was trying to keep the ball out of the hands of Wilson and run time off the clock. BRob JR had some nice runs too.

Lastly, as lots of people are saying, bat the damn ball down on the Hail Mary.

Edited by RVAskins
  • Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, Ball Security said:

I believe it was Wylie who made the recovery and had the same thought that Howell would scoop it and at least throw it out of bounds, but credit to Wylie to pounce on it. 

I guess that was the sequence where Chase ran down Wilson on third down? That was his most impactful play.

Yep.  It was 3rd and 2 at our 10 and there was daylight in front of Wilson as he started to scramble.  Chase overtook him pretty easily from behind.  I like JSW, but if that's him out there on that play, Wilson probably scores.  Chase's speed is game changing.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

That was a bit of a nightmare sequence for the offense.  They got into field goal range, they run an easy pitch and catch over the middle playcall, but Samuel and Dyami run into each other and Samuel ends up uselessly sitting in his ass.  That screws up the whole play because now Sam has to sit in the pocket, and Cooper gets a paw on the ball and swipes it out of Sam's hand. 

Offensive execution has been much cleaner generally so far this season. EB has had an impavct there so far. But there were a couple of instances where it looked like receivers ran the wrong routes or spacing was just off. On that occasion it was mesh and one of the recievers was clearly on the wrong track (I'm assuming a defender re routed or someone had to navigate through traffic and got on the wrong depth).

There was another when Sam made a dime small window throw to one of the TEs on a 7 route - I think it was Thomas. It was a small window because a receiver (I think it was Samuel) was right in the same area and had brought defenders with him. I cant believe it was schemed that way so I have to think there was a route adjustment he made based on the coverage he thought he saw that was wrong.

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

I was fine with Ron going for 2 last week.

Whether my second point/argument is pointless or not is irrelevant. We miss, people are pissed. We make it and people will defend it. It’s how this works. I didn’t like going for two. You did. It’s okay for us to feel differently. It worked out well for us in the end.

Ok, as long as you acknowledge you are wrong, we are right, we can agree to disagree.

:P 

(this was a joke.  It was only a joke.)

Just now, Going Commando said:

Yep.  It was 3rd and 2 at our 10 and there was daylight in front of Wilson as he started to scramble.  Chase overtook him pretty easily from behind.  I like JSW, but if that's him out there on that play, Wilson probably scores.  Chase's speed is game changing.

Same with Davis in the first Wilson fumble that changed momentum. It was his catch up speed that made that play - not many backers have the burst he has.

• Like 6

DL has a good rotation and descent depth and keeping them fresh throughout the game has been a key part of the wins.  Working on the clock with 2 mins left was not good. Good comeback, but for 2 weeks in a row the other team has been head hunting this team, last week they tried taking out Howell multiple times. Time to find a new long snapper. Team has played very good on road latrly, Maybe things will change at home. 

22 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

he trusted them with a short field. 

at least on twitter, lots of people did not make this conclusion ... it was the first thing I thought 

2 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Anyone have a replay of Courtland Sutton's catch before the Hail Mary?  It looked like he might have been out of bounds, but I couldn't tell in real time.

looked all over twitter for it, nothing ... 

5 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Anyone have a replay of Courtland Sutton's catch before the Hail Mary?  It looked like he might have been out of bounds, but I couldn't tell in real time.

He looked OOB to me but it was super close. Honestly we got a close call in our favor with the Robinson 2 pointer so it kinda balances out.

24 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

This is one decision that he's being criticized for that I agree with. I think we're up 8 or 11 at that point and this can pretty much ice the game.

1. We have a kicker who was kicking from 65 before the game

2. We can't base the 59 yarder on one bad play (the missed FG earlier)

3. We're playing in Denver where we know that the lighter ball travels easier. 

4. People are talking about the defense but it also shows that he trusts the defense to stop them or hold them to a FG. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I'm just curious how many weeks it's gonna be before Bienemy stops obsessing with throwing it in the first half.  So far through 2 weeks, a pattern has emerged.  Throw it every down in the first half, struggle and get behind, run it in the second half to get back in and secure the game.

I appreciate what Bieniemy wants to do.  He's got these weapons and a big armed, talented QB and he wants to take advantage of it.  Maybe later in the season when the offense gels and figures it all out, that'll be cool. But right now, it's contributing to making these games harder than they need to be. 

• Like 1

Just now, justice98 said:

I'm just curious how many weeks it's gonna be before Bienemy stops obsessing with throwing it in the first half.  So far through 2 weeks, a pattern has emerged.  Throw it every down in the first half, struggle and get behind, run it in the second half to get back in and secure the game.

I appreciate what Bieniemy wants to do.  He's got these weapons and a big armed, talented QB and he wants to take advantage of it.  Maybe later in the season when the offense gels and figures it all out, that'll be cool. But right now, it's contributing to making these games harder than they need to be. 

In today's NFL you typically pass to build a lead and then run to salt the clock away. The strength of our offense is a strong armed QB throwing to some dynamic WRs, so it makes sense that we'd probably focus on that in practice and come out to start games that way. 

I'm glad EB is able to change gears quickly mid game though. Such a massive upgrade over Scott Turner's garbage.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

9 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I've watched it a few times, and it looks like that right toe does touch down inbounds at the end.  By the slimmest of margins, but I can respect them upholding the call on the field.  Not enough to overturn it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, petey hodge said:

Was no one going to mention that the “greatest Washington Redskins Safety, ever” Adam Archuleta called this game from the CBS booth?

Was he the color guy?  They guy who kept referring to the 2 minute mark as halftime?  He did it twice.

My takes although most of them have been posted already:

It's so nice to see this team execute the screen pass, this play has killed us on defense for as long as I remember.

They simply have to hold on to interceptions.

I am not sure why Cam Curl has not been signed to an extension by now.  Just a good solid player.

The TD to TM, both pass and catch, may have been the best play from a Washington offense in years. I could not believe how beautiful that play was.

I think we got a lot of breaks from the officials for a road team.  Forbes without a doubt grabbed on the 2 pt conversion, I'm not convinced he was inbounds on his pick or that we crossed the line on the 2 pt conversion. Other calls that I don't remember went our way too.

I still feared Russell Wilson late in that game, even though he's clearly no longer Russell Wilson.  

Well at least we are down to only 1 bad snap a game, the others were fine.

Not sure what to make of Chase's return.  He did get 1.5 sacks but it's not like he was pressuring Wilson a lot.  Still 1.5 sacks sure is good to see.  Payne was a beast most of the game, the rest took turns making big plays.  

9 minutes ago, justice98 said:

I've watched it a few times, and it looks like that right toe does touch down inbounds at the end.  By the slimmest of margins, but I can respect them upholding the call on the field.  Not enough to overturn it. 

He absolutely caught it.

• Like 1