Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Next Day Thread: Denver

KDawg

The defense will need to play 4 quarters the next two weeks for us to have a chance to win. Can’t just show up the second half.

Coaches need to look at how we are setting the edge, we lose contain far too easily. I can live without seeing that double corner blitz we ran when they hit the long TD pass against as well. 

On offense huge game for Howells development. He played so well, but there is also a lot he can sit down, watch and learn from. His clock needs to speed up for sure. O’Line was an issue at times - both OTs gave up bad sacks. But at times they gave Sam time - and when he had time he delivered. I’m not a fan of always being in the gun and having Robinson run from being lined up to one side of Sam. I’d like us to run some with Sam under center and Robinson lined up behind him - I think that would suit Robinson more.

But 35 points from the O. We can win a lot of games if we score 30+!

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

Jamin Davis needs to be included on the studs list. That fumble he caused was the turning point. Sure the Logan Thomas TD was big but Denver is rolling and in range to extend their already big lead if Davis doesn’t squash them and get them the ball back. Just my 2 cents..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Just now, FuriousD said:

Jamin Davis needs to be included on the studs list. That fumble he caused was the turning point. Sure the Logan Thomas TD was big but Denver is rolling and in range to extend their already big lead if Davis doesn’t squash them and get them the ball back. Just my 2 cents..

Agreed. Even if Logan didn't hold onto the ball, the penalty would've been 15 yards and there's a very good chance we'd have punched it in anyway. But Jamin's forced fumble came out of nowhere and totally changed the complexion of the game. Assist to whomever recovered the ball after it came loose.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

Gibson and BRob were absolute studs today.  I've never seen them go off like that and take the game over like they did in the second half.  They asserted their will.

Terry was awesome too. I think he's feeling a lot better now, and that is really important for us because Dotson isn't ready to carry the weight of being a #1 yet.

Tip of the cap to John Bates.  He had a nice game and filled in admirably for Logan.  He's not bad.

I'm looking forward to watching the game replay of the OL, but from what I noticed, Gates looked good today.  He's a brawler and it was for Kareem Jackson's own good that he got tossed, because Gates and Saahdiq Charles were going to kill him.

Jamin was really good today.  That roughing the passer call was a tough break, and only happened because Russell Wilson is so short that you can't hit him without accidentally contacting his head.  Otherwise he was flying around and making a big impact.  I expected guys like Payne and Curl and Chase and Montez to be good and do their thing.  It was really heartening to see Jamin play well too.

I thought the roughing call on Chase Young was soooo soft.  A half-hearted two hand shove on a scrambling QB is roughing now?  Chase was dominant today even though you can tell he doesn't have his confidence and wind all of the way back yet.  He's just a next level dude who is head and shoulders the most talented guy on the team.  They were terrified to run anything his way, and when they finally fell behind and had to start throwing, he took over and was the best player on the field.

Denver killed us on basically four or five big plays.  For the entire rest of the game we dominated them.  They figured out something about us and exploited it, and I don't know what was wrong with our coverages in that first half, but it seems like we came up with a fix.  Hopefully we don't dig ourselves any more holes like that moving forward.  This is a fundamentally good team, and coming back on the road in that stadium is them passing a test.  Next up is a worrisome match up with the Bills, who just destroyed a Raiders team that beat Denver.  Thank God we get them at home.

18 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Assist to whomever recovered the ball after it came loose.

I think it was Barton.  Heads up play for him to jump on it so quick, because I don't think anyone else around the ball saw it come out.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

Gibson is good in space. That move he put on that one run(or screen can't remember)was quite nifty. Just gotta get him away from the traffic. Good on Bienemy for figuring that out pretty quick. Robinson was running like a grown man playing against boys today. He has that look and feel of a guy who gets stronger as the game goes on. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

8 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

And btw, having some tough opponents on the schedule makes it all the more important to take care of business against lesser teams like Arizona and Denver. Banking these W's could end up being the difference in a potential Wild Card race in December/January.

You mean the division race. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

48 minutes ago, Dark Acre said:

Daron Payne looked absolutely giddy after batting down that pass.

He truly did, my 8 year-old  said something like, "That 94 looks like he just found an extra present on his birthday!"

36 minutes ago, FootballZombie said:

We had to sacrifice Logan to the football gods.

Might as well give 'em the GB

If we trade him to Green Bay I will be so pissed

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I was upset with it at the time, but I've got to give credit where it's due: Down 21 to 9 and fresh off the ejection of Jackson and his 1 yard penalty, Riverboat Ron goes for 2 instead of 1. It took a replay looking for a sliver of the ball passing over the goal line, but he got it. Without that 2 point try, the Broncos only need an extra point after the hail mary and the game would have gone to overtime. It was ugly and it was a long time coming, but Riverboat Ron saved the game.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

28 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I was upset with it at the time, but I've got to give credit where it's due: Down 21 to 9 and fresh off the ejection of Jackson and his 1 yard penalty, Riverboat Ron goes for 2 instead of 1. It took a replay looking for a sliver of the ball passing over the goal line, but he got it. Without that 2 point try, the Broncos only need an extra point after the hail mary and the game would have gone to overtime. It was ugly and it was a long time coming, but Riverboat Ron saved the game.

Going for two cut it to a TD+XP/Field Goal deficit instead of 11 points *and* the penalty put the attempt at the 1 yard line. It was the right call regardless of outcome and I’m surprised it was so controversial in the game thread. I thought it was obvious.

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

I didn't love the plan to go for two when we did. But, it wound up working and we won, so that is what it is. Credit for having the guts to make that decision.

Good summary but this I don't get. We are down 21-9 at that point. If we kick the XP, we need the two point conversion later to make it a TD+FG score. Denver gets the penalty on Jackson, so it's actually just a yard on the 2-point conversion. Analytics also suggests that you run the required 2-point conversion on the first try because it gives you more information on how to approach and manage the subsequent drives. I really don't see a single rational argument for not going for 2 at that point.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

Speaking of the Hail Mary, that cannot happen at all.  T

Great win, Sam looked crazy confident out there. Running game is getting better but I would like see more creative ways of running with Gibson.

Bring on Buffalo. I don't think its gonna go like it did a couple years ago

Logan Thomas inspirational player of the game with that catch, took the hit, somehow held onto the ball. Hope he's ok in the short and long term.

Defense. 7 sacks, FF, 1 almost 2 ints right? I left for work at 21-3. Couple of big players given up but they hunkered down in the 2nd half which they always do. Loved seeing Chase out there doing his thing. Welcome back bro, we missed the hell outta you.. As the Hail Mary..

You think this is the first time we've given up a Hail Mary in Denver ? 

This game took me forever to get over, so many bad calls against us, so many in favor of Denver and then this finish.. Rod Smiths first NFL catch.

Edited by Playaction2Sanders

1 hour ago, Panninho said:

Good summary but this I don't get. We are down 21-9 at that point. If we kick the XP, we need the two point conversion later to make it a TD+FG score. Denver gets the penalty on Jackson, so it's actually just a yard on the 2-point conversion. Analytics also suggests that you run the required 2-point conversion on the first try because it gives you more information on how to approach and manage the subsequent drives. I really don't see a single rational argument for not going for 2 at that point.

If you miss you’re down 12. If you make it (the xp) you’re down 11. There’s a lot of time left. A lot can happen with the score in that timeframe. I don’t like possibly putting us down two touchdowns.

I do understand the penalty being a factor there, though. It worked. So I’m wrong. But if it didn’t work I guarantee you the amount of people who were okay with it would have shrunk by about 90%.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

Gibson is good in space. That move he put on that one run(or screen can't remember)was quite nifty. Just gotta get him away from the traffic. Good on Bienemy for figuring that out pretty quick. Robinson was running like a grown man playing against boys today. He has that look and feel of a guy who gets stronger as the game goes on. 

This. I think Robinson looked and ran like Tim Hightower today.

Washington's defensive front is an absolute menace. Make that two straight weeks in which the Commanders' lauded front four singlehandedly swung a game in their favor. Last week, it was Daron Payne and Co. harassing Joshua Dobbs in a tight affair in Washington. This time around, the return of Chase Young helped boost the group, which threw a massive wrench into Denver's offensive plans, buying Washington time to regain the lead and denying Denver a chance to pull off a comeback. When hyping up defenses around the league, don't overlook Washington's group, which tallied seven sacks on Sunday. It's a huge reason why the Commanders are 2-0.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2023-nfl-season-week-2-what-we-learned-from-sunday-s-games

• Like 1

1. Resillience. 

This is becoming a theme. There were some mistakes made (Cheeseman, the deep safety (Forrest?), Foster, thats blame to go all around. But as Young said 'we kept chopping wood". This team is reminding me of the Nationals where they don't know how to just quit. They're toop young to quit. So tthery keep fighting and they pull out a victory. 

2. Better conditioning. 

I was on Twitter making jokes about Beet Juice and maybe there was some truth to it or hte 24 hour rule. But what is tested and proven is that if you wany to run a marathon you've got tto practice running and longer routes. At least that's the most common training plan. So when I heard About EB coming here, I thought what he was doing had been going on here for decades. but whatever. A better conditioned team is better conditioned to win late. And you're seeing it in the second half and 4th quarters. 

3. Weight on a young QB

I worry about young Sam. On Twitter when he had been sacked 3 or 4 times, i was saying I hope he doesn't become Patrick Ramsey. I don't know why I came to that name, but I had such hope for Ramsey and Spurrier's system and lack of protection ruined him. I had those thoughts when we were down 21-3. Then the magic happened. 

4. Imbalance

This is something that Jamual over at Hogs Haven talked about a lot yesterday, I was ignoring it before that, but in light of that Igave it more consideration and I think he has a point. 

So most people have offered sone analysis and I will continue to sprinkle that here and there. But here is some drive by drive stuff

Drive1 -  RPPPPPP(MissedFG)

Drive2 -  PRPRPPPPPP(FG)

Drive3 - RPPPu

Drive4 - PPPPu

Drive 5 - PPRPRRPRRPPPP(R-2P)

Drive 6 - PPPPPPP(FG)

Drive 7 - RPPRRP

Drive 8 - RRPPMissedFG

Drive 9 - PPPRRRPPR

Drive 10 - RRPRPPRRPR

Drive 11 - RRRPu

I mean you can probably tell from the simple number of pass attempts but look at the number of drives with passes more than runs, or drives with passes and no runs. Its not Spurriwr-lite. But I would have liked to have seen some investment in some runniing game like Samuel in Drive 3 or 4 where he did become a good runner later in the game. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

If you miss you’re down 12. If you make it (the xp) you’re down 11. There’s a lot of time left. A lot can happen with the score in that timeframe. I don’t like possibly putting us down two touchdowns.

I do understand the penalty being a factor there, though. It worked. So I’m wrong. But if it didn’t work I guarantee you the amount of people who were okay with it would have shrunk by about 90%.

Yeah, but Cheeseman lol...

• Haha 4