Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Game Prediction Thread - Week 2 - The Commanders @ The Broncos

zCommander

1 hour ago, Thinking Skins said:

So I'm looking at stuff some more and take this for what its worth, PFF is not gospel. 

These are their CBs

Pat Surtain has a score of 82.2, which means that could be a good matchup. 

But Damarri Mathis has a score of 27.8 and he was their second best corner. So is that a good day for our Number 2 and 3 WRs? 

Lets Check on their Safeties

Kareem Jackson has a PFF score of 65.8 

Justin Simmons has a PFF score of 40.4

Lets look at their LBs

Alex Singleton has a PFF score of 90.4

Josey Jewell has a PFF score of 79.3

Lets look at their DL

Frank Clark has a PFF grade of 48.3 

Randy Gregory has a PFF grade of 56.9

Jonathan Cooper has a PFF score of 68.9

Jonathan Harris has a pff grade of 36.0

Mike Purcell has a PFF grade of 61.6

Does that look scary? Overpowering? I don't think so

I watched a lot of that game because I have Josh Jacobs on my fantasy team. They held Jacobs ( who was absolutely fantastic last season ) to a measley 48 yards on 19 carries. The Bronco dline overwhelmed the Raider oline. It was very frustrating. Jacobs had no room to run whatsoever. I highly doubt that our offensive line is much ( if at all ) better than the Raiders oline. So I worry that we won't be able to run the ball. We have to have some type of running game or the passing game will get shut down. So that's a concern.

Edited by AlwaysBeRedskins2Me
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, AlwaysBeRedskins2Me said:

I watched a lot of that game because I have Josh Jacobs on my fantasy team. They held Jacobs ( who was absolutely fantastic last season ) to a measley 48 yards on 19 carries. The Bronco dline overwhelmed the Raider oline. It was very frustrating. Jacobs had no room to run whatsoever. I highly doubt that our offensive line is much ( if at all ) better than the Raiders oline. So I worry that we won't be able to run the ball. We have to have some type of running game or the passing game will get shut down. So that's a concern.

So to counter, I'll offer how the Raiders OL did against the the Denver DL in pass protection. 

In a recent article by Sam Monson of Pro Football Focus, he ranked all 32 offensive lines heading into Week 2. The Raiders came in at No. 16 after allowing just three pressures against the Broncos. Here is a snippet of what Monson had to say about the group from last week:

The Raiders’ offensive line surprised many people by being one of the most effective pass-blocking units in Week 1. They surrendered only three pressures on 29 dropbacks with no sacks, which led to the second-highest pass-blocking efficiency rating (94.8) of the week.

I watched the Broncos v. Raiders and I thought it was a well played game by both teams.  I thought Russell Wilson looked like his old self.  It was an odd game.   Denver opened the season with an onside kick which they recovered, but touched maybe a foot before it went 10 yards so the Raiders started the season at the Bronocos 35.   Typically there are may 20-24 possessions per game in football meaning each team gets 10-12 possessions.   However, in the game, there were only 12 possessions.  Each team only got the ball 6 times because there were very few incompletions and clock stoppages.  The Broncos had two punts, two TD's, 1 FG, and 1 missed FG in their 6 possessions.  Wilson looked good.  I think he will be much better with Sean Payton.   They got him out of the pocket a lot and he is a much better player when he doesn't have to throw from the pocket on every play.  The Bronocos could have easily won but their kicker Will Lutz missed an extra point and fg (albeit a long fg around 50 yards).

• Thanks 2

If the OL can build upon what they did vs the Cardinals, this team can continue to roll.  In that event, I think they can win this game.

Washington:  24

Denver-         17

However if they continue to struggle, it could be rough go and a long day

Washington:  10

Denver           23

1 hour ago, Conn said:

is this normal? 

A lot of teams subscribe to the logic.

It takes several days to fully adjust to high altitude, and that is not a possible timeframe for sports teams coming to Denver.

So they don't try to fight it. They just accept the oxygen deficiency at higher altitude and manage playtime around it.  They instead arrive late and that makes problems like rest and dehydration less pronounced.

So its more of a question about do you wanna get there early and adjust to high altitude a little bit, or mitigate some of the other surrounding factors that you can control by getting there late.

Here is a good article about it

https://www.9news.com/article/news/local/verify/verify-does-denvers-mile-high-altitude-really-affect-the-outcome-of-sports-games/73-514443034

Visiting teams can also take steps to mitigate the effects of altitude.

Acclimating to the mile-high air takes at least nine days – an amount of time that’s not practical for professional sports teams to spend in Denver ahead of a game, Millan said.

What they should do instead is arrive as close to game time as possible. That way they avoid some of the negative effects like poor sleep and dehydration.

The part about not feeling the effects if your only there for 24 hours is out of context tho.

You may not get hurt on the rest related side of things, but there will absolutely be oxygen deficiency.

We are gonna have to roll our players hard and use our depth heavily. Especially on the D-line and RBs... and prob WRs too.

B-Rob, Gibby and C-Rod are all gonna get blow so fantasy owners beware.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Thanks 1

Oh man that late arrival theory is bad. Things like altitude sickness and dehydration take a day or two to set in but your body absolutely needs like 3 days to acclimate if you want to have halfway decent cardio performance. I’m always super winded on short hikes the first day I’m there, much less so by day 3. 

• Like 1

Not sure where to put this, so I'll dump it here:

I was watching a vid on week one fights and I've noticed a pattern, not sure if it's been mentioned anywhere here as of yet. Anyways, I saw several instances where when a reciever caught a ball over someone on the defense and they both went to the ground, if the receiver talked **** while the other guy was still on the ground, automatic taunting penalty. Even just looking down at the guy and MAYBE saying something would even draw a flag. Maybe our guys can use that, if you get burnt and you go to the ground defending the ball, stay on the ground just a bit longer and maybe draw a flag.

The thing that bother me last week that not many people seem to have a problem with is our toughness. Over the past few years, one thing I could say about Rivera's team, was that they were tough. They hit hard and don't give up. Defense looked fine, offense seemed...soft? The Cardinals defense were manhandling us in the beginning of that game, hard, late, dirty hits that our Offense didn't respond to. Get in their face and hit them back!...legally...

Sorry if this seems scattered, I'm running late.

• Like 1

Hydrate, hydrate, hydrate and use a lot of Flonase.  I ride a lot in altitude and follow this regiment without problems.

On Sam Howell's presser yesterday, he mentioned the trainers and nutritionists are preparing them for the altitude but 5000' shouldn't be an issue for the way these guys train.

• Like 4

20 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Screen Shot 2023-09-13 at 11.10.21 AM.png

It's amazing how good Meinerz has been since he showed off in the Senior Bowl.

My hope:

Offense - EB makes adjustments from last week showing more CR in the backfield, Robinson has at least 80 yards on the ground, more passing opportunities for Turner and Dyami Brown each having a few big contributions. Holding my breath the OL can hold up (key to the offensive game) and if required more chipping by the TE's.

Defense - Rough day for Wilson who takes a lot of hits and thrown off by pressure the whole game. Williams is smothered (key to the defensive game).

Howell is listed as 2" taller than Wilson, we squeak this game out by 2 points, 23-21 good guys

16 hours ago, philibusters said:

I watched the Broncos v. Raiders and I thought it was a well played game by both teams.  I thought Russell Wilson looked like his old self.  It was an odd game.   Denver opened the season with an onside kick which they recovered, but touched maybe a foot before it went 10 yards so the Raiders started the season at the Bronocos 35.   Typically there are may 20-24 possessions per game in football meaning each team gets 10-12 possessions.   However, in the game, there were only 12 possessions.  Each team only got the ball 6 times because there were very few incompletions and clock stoppages.  The Broncos had two punts, two TD's, 1 FG, and 1 missed FG in their 6 possessions.  Wilson looked good.  I think he will be much better with Sean Payton.   They got him out of the pocket a lot and he is a much better player when he doesn't have to throw from the pocket on every play.  The Bronocos could have easily won but their kicker Will Lutz missed an extra point and fg (albeit a long fg around 50 yards).

Our defense is much better than the Raiders’ across the board, especially with them not clearing Chandler Jones to play. Regardless, the Raiders provided the gameplan to win this, which is pull together long sustained drives against what is apparently a bad 3rd down defense and keep Russ off the field.