Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mod Notice: Temp Ban if Post on Changing the Name. Per New York Times: Dan Syder Agrees to Sell Washingon Commaders for $6B

Reaper Skins

48 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I am as excited as everyone. I just hope this group doesn’t view what the Sixers have done as “success” as that article describes.  It’s leaps and bounds better than what this team has been in 30 years, no doubt. But no Conference finals yet for a basketball team with a top 5 player is not the bar we should set.

I do love that he hires a GM and lets them execute on a vision.  That’s going to be so foreign around here.

I mean that's all the owner can do: hire smart people, spend money, and let them do their job. Anything beyond that is out of his control. 

• Like 6
  • Thumb up 1

Place your bets on the Commanders now.

The NFL is about to give them the LA Rams treatment.

They want to put Snyder in the rearview mirror and capitalize on this untapped market in the same way they did when the Rams moved to LA.

Expect the Commanders to be featured on Hard Knocks or All or Nothing within the next 2 years.

Expect them to receive more primetime games and national exposure.

Expect the team to start getting more favorable ref calls on third downs and at the end of games

Expect the national media to start actually pronouncing our players names correctly and ranking them properly against the competition.

Expect the Commanders to make it to at least the NFC Championship game within the next 3 years under the reign or Eric Bienemy

• Like 6
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

2 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I mean that's all the owner can do: hire smart people, spend money, and let them do their job. Anything beyond that is out of his control. 

Agreed. Stictly from a on field/court/ice standpoint, unless it's like a decade or more of futility, then that's just the way your luck breaks sometimes

3 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

This was the group I wanted. I’m pumped. I just wouldn’t describe the “trust the process” as successful.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

And be patient now. Because they are buying an as-is that might need to be torn down to the studs and started over. As long as they say that's the case, I think people will be more understanding if that's communicated 

2 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Who is Josh Harris, the potential new owner of the Washington Commanders?

Who is Josh Harris?

Return to menu

Born to an orthodontist, Harris grew up in Chevy Chase, Md., cheering for Washington sports teams. He attended the Field School in Northwest Washington before enrolling in the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania. He earned an MBA from Harvard Business School.

He displayed an entrepreneurial spirit from a young age. He’d sell his comic books for a profit as a kid, and one summer in college, he returned to Washington and ran a lemonade cart near the Farragut North Metro stop.

Harris co-founded the private equity investment titan Apollo Global Management in 1990 and saw his net worth skyrocket when the company went public in March 2011. He remained with Apollo until January 2022.

“It doesn’t surprise me at all that he’s been incredibly successful in business in his career,” his brother, Gabe Harris, previously told The Post. “It would surprise me if he retired and went and played golf or puttered around on a boat. That’s just not him.”

Harris, 58, also owns the NBA’s Philadelphia 76ers, the NHL’s New Jersey Devils and is a general partner of Crystal Palace in the English Premier League. He is a limited partner in the NFL’s Pittsburgh Steelers and will have to sell that stake to buy the Commanders.

What are Josh Harris’s Washington sports roots?

Harris has said he grew up a fan of all Washington, D.C. sports teams. He lived in the area during George Allen’s tenure as the Redskins’ head coach and the glory days of the Washington Bullets. He recalled playing basketball on eight-foot hoops at Woodlin Elementary and eventually graduating to more physical games at North Chevy Chase Park.

His father, Jacob, had Washington Bullets season tickets and would regularly make the drive to Landover to watch the team play at the Capital Centre, near the future site of FedEx Field.

“Wes Unseld, Elvin Hayes, Phil Chenier — they were something,” Josh Harris told The Post in 2012.

Harris was an active youth wrestler. He picked up the sport in the seventh grade, wrestling for Bethesda Boys Club. He wrestled at Penn, too, competing at 118 pounds.

“Wrestling was the perfect sport for him,” his brother told The Post. “It’s all about dedication, being in great physical shape, having a lot of heart and perseverance — intelligence, too.”

What kind of sports owner has Josh Harris been?

Harris led a group that purchased the downtrodden Philadelphia 76ers franchise in October 2011 for $280 million. The day after he was announced as owner, the Philadelphia Daily News published an all-caps headline on its front page that read: “Rich Penn guys hope to turn Sixers around … Good luck with that.”

In Harris’s first year as an owner, the 76ers slashed ticket prices and saw their attendance jump by more than 15 percent.

“I think by dropping the ticket price in his first year, that was a huge step in trying to open a door that was closing very quickly,” 76ers’ legend Julius Erving told The Post in 2012. “ … It’s obvious that he’s concerned about the connection between the team and the city.”

The 76ers became a consistent winner under Harris’s ownership. This season marks the seventh time in his 12 years of ownership that they have reached the playoffs. They’ve lost five times in the conference semifinals during that period. The franchise is now valued at $3.15 billion, according to Forbes — ranking 10th in the NBA — and has announced ambitious plans for a new arena.

In August 2013, Harris and David S. Blitzer bought the New Jersey Devils for $320 million. Until this year, the team had reached the playoffs just once during that time and hadn’t finished better than fifth in its division under the Harris-Blitzer ownership. The Devils are poised to finish first or second in their division this season.

Who is in Josh Harris’s family?

Return to menu

His wife, Marjorie Harris, serves as chair of Sixers Youth Foundation and is co-founder of Harris Philanthropies, the family’s charity organization. The two met while Harris was studying for his MBA at Harvard. The couple has five children.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/04/13/josh-harris-washington-commanders/

Fun fact—Josh Harris and I went to the same elementary school!  Woodlin Elementary. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Skinsinparadise said:

That’s the strange part to me in these deals across all sports. A minority stake is only valuable when the entire team is sold. When you buy in during a change in ownership you pay the same price as the sale but if you choose to divest before the principal owner sells, you take a haircut of 50% or more.

It’s a horrible investment. They are obviously doing it for fun but magic putting in $150 million and whatever massive amount Rales is putting in is not chump change. 

I sent my wife a list of Commanders gear for Father's Day, including a Jon Allen jersey, hat, hoodie. Ordered a cheap shirt today.

seinfeld-im-back.gif

2 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

It’s a horrible investment. They are obviously doing it for fun but magic putting in $150 million and whatever massive amount Rales is putting in is not chump change. 

Il trust someone with Rales extensive track record to make sound investments.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

Just now, Riggo#44 said:

I sent my wife a list of Commanders gear for Father's Day, including a Jon Allen jersey, hat, hoodie. Ordered a cheap shirt today.

seinfeld-im-back.gif

I bought so much commanders crap after the name change to keep my son from changing favorite teams, now I won’t be that embarrassed to wear it. I actually got a really nice Tommy Bahama Hawaiian shirt from fanatics on sale. That one I like and is my flag football coaching shirt.

You can buy fanatics gift cards at a discount at Costco you get two $25 cards for $40 bucks you can then use them when they have sales which is weekly. Ends up being way cheaper. 

9 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Il trust someone with Rales extensive track record to make sound investments.

Fred Smith is a business icon too. Dwight Schar is a billionaire and good friends with Gibbs. None of these guys lack business savvy. Yet Smith and Schar sold a 2.6 billion dollar share for 900 million 24 months ago. 

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

Fred Smith is a business icon too. Dwight Schar is a billionaire and good friends with Gibbs. None of these guys lack business savvy. Yet Smith and Schar sold a 2.6 billion dollar share for 900 million 24 months ago. 

Yeah, I'll chalk that up to association with Snyder. No one wanted those shares. No one wanted to be associated with Snyder. They were so anxious to get out, they sold at a discount. No one comes out better off when  dealing with Snyder.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

This was the group I wanted. I’m pumped. I just wouldn’t describe the “trust the process” as successful.

“The process” is still playing out. Let’s see how the playoffs go this year. The Sixers are in as good a position as anybody. 

1 hour ago, allskinz said:

This didn’t age well.  

Devils rebuilt from the ashes as well. They have a great chance to win the cup this year. That’s all you can do is put them in position and hope it works out in the playoffs. I think we’ve forgotten what that’s like. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, dunfer said:

Stick with Rivera Josh. Hes doing good things

He’s mediocre at best.

He starts out slow like he usually does, he’s fired in season. He fails to make playoffs, he’s gone.

This team really won’t move forward until Dan’s hires in front office and coaching are no longer here.

• Like 1