Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

5 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Harris has to thread the needle some.   I think the aggressivness is more likely to come as to the draft, acquiring picks with a future oriented approach.  If they follow the Eagles model for example, in FA they swung hard at times.   They have a dual present and future approach.  Both Keim and Russini said in seperate conversations that they heard this team will be very aggressive in FA.

I am expecting a big signing or two.  Keim among others would say before the Sweat-Young trades, don't count on a slam dunk comp pick if they let them hit FA because a big signing would negate it.

Going back to the draft, all the coaches-GMs (sans one year under Scot McCloughan) could give a rats ass about trading down to acquire anything but picks in that same draft -- never Eagles style caring about future drafts.  I think that's going to change.

I think they have to manage it. They saw both early Snyder, the early Roseman Eagles lose out with the FA approach and trying to win quickly with just the wrong guys. So the question is who are the right guys and how do you know you have the right core of guys to build around first? I will never forget the Carlos Rogers quote on his upcoming free agency when he said ie was Redskins philosophy to let their own go and bring in somebody else for big money. He was saying that was Redskins philosophy to a beat reporter, so you know that was talked about regularly to the other players. Thats that the locker room was like. It must have been hard to build something. 

Fast forward to now, and we've done a good but not great job of drafting our own guys. They are consistent players but they're not anything special. Whether that's because they'r not great guys or because they don't have cocahces to get them to that next level (like Terry, Curl, Allen, Payne, etc) thats another debate. But we may have a foundation now. 

I think we'd still want to make our major in the draft, taking almost all of our "classes" in that area. But if we choose to delve into the classroom of free agency for a course or two, I don't think it would be a problem. But when that becomes out major it becomes a problem.

On 12/3/2023 at 4:27 PM, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

That Andrew Wylie chap we brought over sure does suck. Might as well put Tony Wyllie at tackle. No more Wylies.

He's really been a turnstile. I am hoping kicking into LG as depth/competition will help. 

We HAVE to get a RT. And a LT. Hard to see us doing that in one draft but we'll see. It is a deep class, I just don't know if you can expect two rookie OTs to come in and start at LT and RT in Year 1. Oftentimes premier LTs start at RT and RTs start at RG before kicking to permanent positions. Maybe I'm off-base there, but just seems to be my interpretation. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MrJL said:

well, we're past the deadline and no they don't

He means in the offseason and Daron is at his best as a 3 technique (outside of this season where his pass rush has been anemic). There is a reason they bring in Ridgeway and Mathis to play the nose in their cinco package

6 hours ago, Darrell Green Fan said:

I have been biting my tongue to some extent on Allen.  Outside of one season I just never saw this great player everyone else claimed he was. I was told he was invaluable in the locker room.  But now, after he did nothing to earn his $25 million he is crying?  Just what has he done to help the team win?

I forget who it was but someone recently on a podcast seemed to question Allen’s leadership. To the outside world, he is the leader of the D but that person seemed to indicate he clearly is no London Fletcher .

We are rebuilding. If Allen, Payne, Terry, etc., don’t want to be here… respect them and trade them. 

I’ve seen people say that’s a Rivera move… but, honestly, the situation is a bit different. This team is bad. It’s just really, really, really bad. 

These guys have endured. They’ve tried. And we still stink. Both them and the franchise deserve a clean break. If that’s what they want, let them.

What is the worst that happens? We go 3-14 next year? I’m not sure we could replicate this experience if we tried to. I think we could mistake ourselves to 5-12 next year.

This is a team that is coached by a lame duck regime and needs to be rebuilt. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Why not just trade him? He's at peak trade value and don't he and Daron play the same position, anyway?

I would argue after this season Jon Allen's value could not be lower.

What is the free agent market for tight ends look like?  Rookie TEs rarely do a lot, this could be an easy and quick way to find a young QB some help.  

11 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

Why not just trade him? He's at peak trade value and don't he and Daron play the same position, anyway?

Rivera turned down trading him at the deadline when an offer was on the table. Haven’t seen reported what the offer was but I’d be very interested to know.

4 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Rivera turned down trading him at the deadline when an offer was on the table. Haven’t seen reported what the offer was but I’d be very interested to know.

Fortunately Mr. Rivera won’t be making these decisions come January 8!

I’m not married to either scenario, but if he wants a fresh start at a contender I certainly wouldn’t balk at trading a top DT entering his age 29 season for picks/players.

• Like 4