Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

1 minute ago, Commander202 said:

I got this weird feeling in two years you are gonna be one of those guys that saids “ why did we let chase young go for nothing ..”

For those distraught to see Chase go, I’m curious if you really wanted to franchise him or pay him a top of market contract in the offseason.  My next question would be what has he done to earn that contract?

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

Just now, Commander202 said:

If anyone happy we let CY got for a third and feel happy about it I’m just completely stunned anyone would think it was a good move . This is going to be the second time SF fleeced us , but yes letting CY go was a good move . We got some posters in here saying he was a diva and work efforts was a problem

lol get real we got fleeced 

prefer more but think of our salary cap situation for next year.  We are looking great

• Like 1

If anyone happy we let CY got for a third and feel happy about it I’m just completely stunned anyone would think it was a good move . This is going to be the second time SF fleeced us , but yes letting CY go was a good move . We got some posters in here saying he was a diva and work efforts was a problem

What has Chase Young accomplished here?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

Yeah. Like hes been an all star here? I would bet my house that he is out of the league within 5 years before he becomes a consistent all pro.

It's just the most Redskins thing ever to drop a really talented player trapped in a horrible system only for them to be successful in a competent one.

We'll probably get a running back or undersized CB with that pick.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, KDawg said:

It’s truly fascinating to see how much people overreact to things like this on a bad team who hasn’t done anything in years.

Many of those folks are the same ones who wanted us to be more of a modern front office.

It’s going to be okay. Probably better than it used to be. 

You're exactly right my friend.  I peruse through this thread when I can to see if the trade activity and I find folks, a couple in particular, that continually post with nothing but negativity concerning the two trades as if these 2 were consistent game changers that will sign here next year, probably at a home team discount.  

sweat deal was surprisingly sweet and the Young deal not so much but, if it was all you could get, great move. 

• Like 2

Just a reminder to all.  5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds only matters if we draft well. Considering we have shown we can't draft in the 1st round well, Im not sure I have faith that we will.  Obviously Im banking on having a new GM and hope Im wrong. 

• Thumb up 1

lol wait till CY gets 2 sacks against us and this fan place goes crazy. 
 Especially the people who are “ happy CY gone “.

CY does well against mediocre tackles.  Doesn't that describe our current RT.  I expect a good game from him.

• Thumb up 1

Just now, TMK9973 said:

Just a reminder to all.  5 picks in the 1st 3 rounds only matters if we draft well. Considering we have shown we can't draft in the 1st round well, Im not sure I have faith that we will.  Obviously Im banking on having a new GM and hope Im wrong. 

This is true. But that’s not the only place the rookies/rookie contracts matter. Having rookie contracts gives you more wiggle room for more years. It may not be an impact next year, but it will be an impact.

1 minute ago, HoggLife said:

Now Sweat to the Bears for a 2nd rounder.

That already happened hours ago, sir.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

Eh, I go back farther.  All the way to 2015, I don't think he really wanted to be here.  And again, I don't blame him.  I also think he was 100% done when Sean McVay left because he knew Jay was a poser.  When the real offensive brains behind the operation left, Kirk knew he was in deep doodoo. 

I actually don't hate Kirk at all, FWIW.  I don't think he was worth what he got from the Vikings, but I never had any ill will towards him. 

I tend to agree with Rufus, though its possible you're right. The big problem with Kirk all along was that Kirk had one of those weird mental block qualities that made him totally incpable of winning games in big moments. It's telling that the best vikings run of the past few decades was by a "who?" QB the year before he arrived, rather than with him. He had a line, pro bowl talent at QB, WR and TE, and never won squat there. The defense was solid too. I was never sold they were the best team in the NFC during his time there, but they were plenty good enough to at least make a run to a conference title game. Instead they got worse after he arrived as the roster got better around him. Utterly bizarre. He's just one of those guys, the "not gonna win big games" types. There have always been those guys that can pile up All Pro stats but don't show up in big games. Usually the reason is that there's something seriously suspect in the roster build around them, but for Minneosta and even for us, it was him. Something with him. He's fine, he's had a good to very good career in regular seasons, but if we'd kept him we would have been bad to mediocre, we didn't (stupidly) and instead we were bad to very bad. I'd rather have rolled the dice with QB's in the '18 and '20 classes instead. What was criminal was that they had no plan after he left other than "let's do something insanely stupid in terms of compensation for veteraness, just like we did a decade ago with McNabb and a decade before that with Brad". Always short cuts, never ever long term planning.

Thank God, it seems as if for the first time since I was a small child, the FO has long term planning as its focus (and I'm 48). 

5 minutes ago, Fred Jones said:

Looks like specifically we got:

49ers are projected to get a compensatory third-round pick for OT Mike McGlinchey and another compensatory third-round pick for the losses of Ran Carthon and DeMeco Ryans, and one of those comp thirds is being sent to Washington in exchange for Chase Young, per source. https://t.co/Q0nluFOMya

Compensatory. So, slightly higher than a 4th rounder?

4 minutes ago, TMK9973 said:

well this perspective means there's no reason to hope at all, so why even bother watching.?

4 minutes ago, Fred Jones said:

CY does well against mediocre tackles.  Doesn't that describe our current RT.  I expect a good game from him.

Wouldn't surprise me. Wylie is hot trash. Dude should play hockey the way he's constantly on skates. 

9 minutes ago, Commander202 said:

He literally does nothing here. 

Go ahead and give him $20M so he can do more cute commercials I guess with little production 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Commander202 said:

lol wait till CY gets 2 sacks against us and this fan place goes crazy. 
 Especially the people who are “ happy CY gone “.

2 sacks against a **** OL and an inexperienced QB, then 9ers fan question why he's invisible against quality teams...

Sounds about par for the course.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

7 minutes ago, The Consigliere said:

They've been a consistent contender for more than half a decade. When was the last time we could say that? 1986-1991, or, 35+ years ago, we'd kill to be as good as the sixers have been since '17-'18, and the sad truth is, if they'd been a little healthier, and if two of their top picks hadn't been head cases, instead of a top 3 team in the east, they would have probably grabbed a couple of titles, either conference, or league wide, but missing badly on Fultz and Simmons, and Embiid's health issues really hurt them. 

So yeah, I am inspired by what they've done, despite whiffing badly on those two guys and suffering Embiid's health issues, they've still managed to go 300-174 the previous six seasons, including four 50 win seasons, as in 4 more in just the last 6 years than the Boulez have done in the past 43 years. 

So yeah, I'd love to be as competent as them, with luck at QB, that level of competence would have us back in the Super Bowl and maybe even winning some, rather than just pulling one "1 and done" run to an early playoff exit every fourth year before getting swallowed by incompetence quicksand as per usual the following season. 

It's so hard to go from a mid-term team to a title contender in the NBA, it's ridiculous. Tanking and getting players that put them in that conversation was 100% the right thing to do, and an owner who was willing to take the fan reaction and ticket sale drop to do it is such a testament to an owner any fanbase should want to have.

And the only reason it didn't turn out better is because Ben Simmons, who literally every GM in the league would have taken, didn't work out. Or Markelle Fultz, who most GMs would have taken (except Danny Ainge, who was smart enough to see Jayson Tatum was the nest player there. 😎- sorry, I am a Celtics fan)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

This is true. But that’s not the only place the rookies/rookie contracts matter. Having rookie contracts gives you more wiggle room for more years. It may not be an impact next year, but it will be an impact.

Well if you're crappy at drafting, having more rookies doesn't help the situation I guess.

I don't care much we got a 2nd for Sweat and a 3rd for CY. At the very least we're getting something.

But so far we still have the same guys scouting and the same guys drafting next year. The guys drafting will probably change, but the guys scouting may still be the same, so I'm not that confident we're gonna do some god use of those draft picks.

If we use those draft picks to draft to DE like we've been doing those last years and no OL, well I'll be...

835b2b1227522dc6467761fb904d1a34.jpg

• Thumb down 1

22 minutes ago, Commander202 said:

Its not about the diva ----. I couldn't care less about that. It's about that we didn't have him. He wasn't ours, beyond the next 9 games, and honestly, do you want to win the next 9 games and screw up draft slotting? For what? This team is donezo, just like the front office. 

Most that are happy w/the trade, aren't happy that we turned a once a decade Edge talent into a 3rd compensatory pick, their happy we got something, anything, for a guy whose contract we no longer controlled after the season finale against Dallas. We don't own Young's next 3-4-5-6 years etc UNLESS we wanted to pay him All Pro money, and if we want to pay an edge all pro money, maybe pay a guy with a healthy knee, and less question marks than the guy who did nada after his rookie year until now.

The problem, Commander202, is that what we controlled with Chase was simply the next 9 games of his career, and the ability to destroy our cap risking a mega contract for the guy, if we wanted to. That's it.

That's nothing, it's no different than doing the same for any free agent around. We didn't trade Chase Young's future, we traded Chase Young's next 9 games as a redskin. That is it.

Pay attention to the contract, it's the only relevant thing in the trade and the story. 

Edited by The Consigliere
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1