Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official 2023 ES Free Agency Thread... available until Free Agency 2024 begins

Riggo-toni

I am bummed that we are only receiving a late 3rd for Chase. I was hoping for a lower 2nd or a combo of picks. Overall he was a huge disappointment in Washington, without meaning to sound mean, I hope he does not flourish in San Fran. 

I am just as bummed that he went to San Fran, I feel like they have gotten the better of us, often. Trent still bothers me. 

The deal was very good for Sweat, but frankly, I wish he had been extended before the season began. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

It is classic ES fatalism to assume that we will fail, no matter what GM or coach they hire, when they haven't even had a full season's crack at this yet.  I'm opting for patience here, its going to be rough, and I'm okay with that in the short term.  I'd rather take lickings, if we land real talent that can stay long term.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Ron leaking to The Athletic that Harris didn’t make him do anything bc he wanted to do both these deals lol. Hey, maybe it’s true. But seems to me Ron wants to counter the PR narrative that Harris is the one behind the trades.

He's a good soldier who carries water for his bosses.  But he's not fooling anybody, and he's not going to be rewarded for his loyalty.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Well of course it all depends on making good hires in the FO and coaching staff. But a GM who knows what they’re doing will not need 3 years to build up this roster. Maybe to become a top top team, but modern teams can re-tool in a year or two.

I think you and I agree for the most part.  When I say 3 year rebuild, I could care less about competing for a Wild card next year.  We have had that with Rivera.  

I’m talking about building a  team that can compete for super bowls.  With the right GM and coach in place that is a reasonable time frame.  The team could go 0-17 next year for all I care.   

frame. 

• Thumb up 2

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

He's a good soldier who carries water for his bosses.  But he's not fooling anybody, and he's not going to be rewarded for his loyalty.

He’s not carrying water or being loyal here — this is pure self-interest and trying to frame himself as still in charge. Ron is sensitive to PR optics and does not want to be portrayed as the lame duck he is.

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

9 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

I am bummed that we are only receiving a late 3rd for Chase. I was hoping for a lower 2nd or a combo of picks. Overall he was a huge disappointment in Washington, without meaning to sound mean, I hope he does not flourish in San Fran. 

I am just as bummed that he went to San Fran, I feel like they have gotten the better of us, often. Trent still bothers me. 

The deal was very good for Sweat, but frankly, I wish he had been extended before the season began. 

With chases injuries and performance they got the best they could. And they got much better than expected for sweat

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Have you heard anything about what specifically the off-field issues are for Chase? I suppose it’s moot now but I’m curious if it’s just general attitude issues or something more serious like specific behaviors etc

Nothing specific.  But 5 now different reporters have referred to stories they've heard about Chase.  We've talked about it this off season.

It's clear at a minimum that Ron and this regime didn't have a good relationship with Chase.  Heck even Ron has been snarky with some of his comments relating to Chase.

Someone from the team saying its addition by subtraction is on point for this regime.

Personally, I like Chase.  I still think he can end up good.  But its clear at a minimum that this coaching staff and Chase haven't seen things eye to eye. 

And its pretty easy to piece together the narratives that Ron wanted to deal Chase.  It looks like it was the Sweat deal that might have been shoved down his throat.  Keim was saying all off season they wanted Sweat back over Chase.

Sheehan who is a big Chase guy saying before the trade that he heard from a good source that they likely won't resign Chase if they don't trade him -- that floored me some.

Grant just saying now he knows ths coaching staff didn't want to bring Chase back.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, Going Commando said:

No, probably not, but that seems to be NFL environment for the most part. It is a business and there's a new owner in town with new management on the horizon. Maybe he is offered something, who knows. He has made a lot of money during his tenure and his time is probably up, part of the culture he knew signing up for this gig. 

53 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

But like...IS he? We haven't really seen him dominate rushing the passer in any game this year. He's gotten some sacks sure, but mostly against completely garbage OL. 

The Eagles threw the ball a TON last Sunday and Young did absolutely nothing.

I guess! Truth is it ain’t my problem at this point. He can go to the HOF and I won’t blink

Thats worth it right there. 

4 minutes ago, Csup said:

I think you and I agree for the most part.  When I say 3 year rebuild, I could care less about competing for a Wild card next year.  We have had that with Rivera.  

I’m talking about building a  team that can compete for super bowls.  With the right GM and coach in place that is a reasonable time frame.  The team could go 0-17 next year for all I care.   

frame. 

wild card teams do compete for the Super Bowl and just because we get better doesn't mean the Eagles would get that much worse

2 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I don't get the Kyle Shanahan hate.  

He was a really good OC for us.  Yeah, he's a bit of a prick.  But Dan messed all that up, not Kyle. All Kyle did is turn Rex Grossman into something resembling a passable QB, and Griffin into an OROTY winner.  

Kyle was not well liked while he was here, and I never got it.  

Personally, I thought he was awesome for us and has only continued to be that since he left.  

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

The process has started. I expect more trades next offseason.  Probably only keeping one between Payne and Allen.

I can see Terry gone also. 

They are going blow things up.

Terry and Allen are the only safe ones 

28 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

Ron leaking to The Athletic that Harris didn’t make him do anything bc he wanted to do both these deals lol. Hey, maybe it’s true. But seems to me Ron wants to counter the PR narrative that Harris is the one behind the trades.

image.png.9c09e2ce7b56df6ca26e197c315facec.png

It’s not true lol

37 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

I don't buy this argument that Harris can be a ****ty owner to Ron because he didn't hire him. 

You've made that crystal clear in various posts.  But judging by comments here and a twitter fan poll I just looked at, you are in the minority on that front.  That's cool but at a minimum your point isn't conventional wisdom, its a bit off beat.

You got a lame duck coaching staff who right now is looking to have an epic level garbage off season.  Epic for the ages bad off season.   And it followed with an epically bad coaching job (as you have pointed out too).  Where Ron looks as clueless on the sidelines as Zorn did.  I am a bit shocked by that.  I've reached the conclusion that Ron is mediocre this off season.  I didn't expect him to become comically bad but here we are.

Yet Harris needs to have some loyalty to Ron to run the course whichever way he chooses?

37 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

How are you going to feel when Harris does something like this to a front office you don't dislike? 

I got zero concern about it.  The cool thing here is he actually has a track record with the 76ers and Devils.  Like him or don't like him, he is not known to interfere.  Ironically his loudest critic among the media in Philly goes after him because he doesn't interfere and thinks he should.

So Harris clearly doesn't see it as the same in this case -- as to inheriting a lame duck HC and GM who is clearly right now grossly unpopular with the fan base and to say he has done a crap job this year would be understatement -- but he should get out of his way for to put his own job ahead of the future of this franchise.

But regardless, even playing this your way.  If its purely about Ron.  Be upset about Sweat.  That's the dude he didn't want to trade.  But its clear as heck he wanted to move Chase.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, MartinC said:

The photo was not needed. Your point was (well) made before that.

Apologies to @Tress Is The Way if I came in disproportionately hot. I felt the original response was condescending on top of being factually incorrect and was a bit indulgent in dishing it back out. Today is a good day for the franchise IMO so no need for any animosity.:cheers:

HTTC

• Like 2

One thing remember resigning Chase and Montez would cost about 25 million per season for each of them. These trades allow the team to pick up two quality picks and spend that money on the oline, lb and cb. I honestly feel this puts the team in better position moving forward.So you get 2nd and a 3rd and 50 million to play with.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

if we get back on the 8-9 gravy train after beating the mighty Patriots and get to 4-5 -- it would be very awkward?

Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 4.30.21 PM.png

Screen Shot 2023-10-31 at 4.30.26 PM.png

I'm not a fan of trading away good players for pennies on the dollar (just my opinion). However, in Chase's case, if he's causing trouble off the field, it's easy to justify parting ways with him. It's challenging to succeed with players who aren't fully committed or have off-field issues; the risk isn't worth it.

Earning a playoff spot would indeed be a surprising and somewhat amusing turn of events. To escape the 8-9 pattern, it's crucial for Sam Howell to grow into a proficient quarterback while on a rookie contract. This issue is more quarterback-related than it is about the front office.

Regarding the defense, there have been serious concerns, and Ron and Jack are responsible. On the other hand, EB, the offensive coordinator, has shown promise and delivered some outstanding offensive stretches that haven't been seen in this area for a long time.

Given the circumstances, it's evident that change is needed. If EB and Howell continue to progress as they are, I would be thrilled to find a way to keep them together.

35 minutes ago, Going Commando said:

Like it or not, Ron Rivera and his coaches and front office and Chase Young and Montez Sweat are all real people.  How badly do you hate the guy to not see that?  I don't buy this argument that Harris can be a ****ty owner to Ron because he didn't hire him.  I don't buy into the sentiment that it's whatever because I didn't like Ron.  How are you going to feel when Harris does something like this to a front office you don't dislike?  Guess what, I didn't like the job Ron did either.  But that is no justification for Harris to be a ****ty, toxic, meddlesome owner.

Harris owns this bag of ****.  I don't want to see anyone trying to pin this **** on Ron in three years when they realize what a mistake this all was.

Maybe I am missing something. But how is Josh Harris being a ****ty owner? He can make personel changes due to lack of performance. The team is 3-5 and woefully underperfroming (or performing just as it should, niether is good). So they are making some moves that will help the team. I was one of the longer Ron hold outs thinking he was jsut struggling under mini-me's ignorance. But the game has passed him - and that includes JDR. Ron is a great guy but he lost his edge as a good coach. So Ok, just move on. If I missed something said let me know. 

If they fire Ron tomorrow it's not being a ****ty owner unless he goes out of his way to embarress him, ala Bruce Allen and Scott M.

Last sentence really makes no sense. WHat was all a mistake? Trading 2 players from an underperforming until that are both on last contracts that would have eaten a lot of CAP space even if you just sign 1 much less two? And you get a 2nd and a 3rd for them. 

I am just not seeing how any of that is being a ****ty owner. 

2 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Do we get back the money we owed both Sweat and Young,  or was it part of the trade that we have to eat the rest of this years cap hits. Hopefully we got the cap relief,  be over 10m to carry over to next season. 

they are both off the books, the remainder of their respective contracts will be paid by the teams they go to.

• Like 1