Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Nah Nah Nah…Nah Nah Nah…Hey Hey Hey…GOODBYE CLOWNSHOES

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Looks like Danny may be spending his 7 plus billion from a white collar crime jail cell.

If he looked Disheveled before I could just imagine how he'll look after BIG Bubba and the Boyz get to him...

Sources: U.S. attorney's office investigating Commanders over alleged financial improprieties

5:24 PM ET
  • van-natta_don.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
    Don Van Natta Jr.ESPN Senior Writer

The U.S. attorney's office in the Eastern District of Virginia has opened a criminal investigation into allegations that the Washington Commanders engaged in financial improprieties, two sources familiar with the matter confirmed to ESPN on Wednesday.

The sources said prosecutors are focused on several areas, and that the inquiry was triggered by a letter the House Committee on Oversight and Reform sent to the Federal Trade Commission and several attorneys general in April that alleged deceptive business practices. Attorneys general in Virginia and Washington, D.C., also are investigating allegations of financial impropriety.

Team spokeswoman Jean Medina did not immediately comment but provided a statement from attorney John Brownlee of Holland & Knight, who represents the Commanders.

"It is not surprising that ESPN is publishing more falsehoods based solely on anonymous sources -- given today's announcement," the statement said. "...We are confident that, after these agencies have had a chance to review the documents and complete their work, they will come to the same conclusion as the team's internal review -- that these allegations are simply untrue."

Asked Wednesday if the league is aware of the federal criminal investigation, NFL spokesman Brian McCarthy said: "We will decline comment."

"The NFL in April engaged former SEC chair Mary Jo White to look into this matter," McCarthy said. "The review is ongoing."

White is leading the NFL's second investigation into matters involving alleged sexual misconduct in Snyder's organization, including the owner's own alleged sexual assault of a woman on his plane in April 2009. It's not clear when White will wrap up. The first investigation, led by Beth Wilkinson, resulted in a $10 million fine and a suspension for Snyder but produced no written report.

The U.S. attorney's office did not respond to a request for comment, and the FTC declined to comment.

The House committee said in its letter to the FTC that it found evidence of deceptive business practices over the span of more than a decade, including withholding ticket revenue from visiting teams and refundable deposits from fans. The committee outlined through the testimony of former employees and access to emails and documents a pattern of financial impropriety by owner Dan Snyder and team executives. At one point in 2016, the team retained up to $5 million from 2,000 season-ticket holders while also concealing sharable revenue from the league, according to the committee.

One former employee testified before Congress, saying the team had two separate financial books: one with underreported ticket revenue that went to the NFL and the full, complete picture. According to testimony, Snyder was aware of the numbers shared with the league while also being privy to the actual data. The business practice was known as "juice" inside Washington's front office.

According to other testimony, financial misconduct included making it intentionally difficult for season-ticket holders to recoup refundable deposit money, counting some of those leftover funds as a different kind of revenue that doesn't need to be shared with the league, and shifting money from ticket sales for NFL games to other events at FedEx Field as a way of hiding that money from the league. The committee in the letter shared spreadsheet data showing evidence of deposits that were not returned. Citing emails and the testimony of Jason Friedman, a longtime vice president of sales and customer service, the letter said ticket sales from Washington games were shifted to a 2013 Kenny Chesney concert and a 2014 Navy-Notre Dame college football game as a way to "juice" revenue and keep it off the books shared with the NFL.

"The Washington Commanders have fully cooperated with federal and state investigators since the House Oversight Review Committee sent its letter to the FTC on April 12, 2022 -- now nearly 7 months ago," the statement from Brownlee said. "The team has produced tens of thousands of records in response to the requests. The investigations, which ESPN's anonymous sources have mischaracterized, are premised on the same baseless allegations made by a disgruntled former employee, Jason Friedman, who also is represented by the law firm of Katz Banks."

Also on Wednesday, Dan and Tanya Snyder announced that they have hired Bank of America Securities to explore potential transactions involving the team. It's not clear what those transactions might be, whether it was the sale of the team or they are pursuing minority partners.

• Haha 1

24 minutes ago, RVAskins said:

That's my fear. I think Snyder is cash strapped and want's minority investors.

Yall really need to stop tempering your expectations here.

If owners have 24 votes to force him to sell, he can't get 24 votes to approve a minority owner.

We're at the part of the disaster movie where the dust is finally settling and someone cliche asks "is it over?"  There might be one more cheesy jump scare left, but we right around the corner from the credits rolling.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

42 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

Brad Johnson

The Schottenheimer family

Ryan Clark

Antonio Pierce

Lavar Arrington

Mike Nolan

Norv Turner

Scot McLoughin (sp)

Frank Herzog

that’s a start.

You can add

Laverneus Coles and his flatscreen TV

Possibly Stephen Davis too

And that old lady he sued over tickets

A few cheerleaders who went overseas on those pimping expeditions

Also, I'm sure that Trent Williams has a few things to say.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

Yall really need to stop tempering your expectations here.

If owners have 24 votes to force him to sell, he can't get 24 votes to approve a minority owner.

We're at the part of the disaster movie where the dust is finally settling and someone cliche asks "is it over?"  There might be one more cheesy jump scare left, but we right around the corner from the credits rolling.

Scared Mask GIF by Friday the 13th

• Haha 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

I don’t really care who the new owner may be but just want Dan to sell it!

Well actually I don’t want Bezos. Hopefully someone who is hands off and decides to hire a real GM to run the team. Enough of Ron and Dan making all the decisions.

I think Dans lack of ability to get a new stadium was the final straw to him willing to sell the team. 

I am wearing my Washington Football Team hat again. I am so happy.

This is the happiest sports day I've had since October 30, 2019, when the Nats won it all.

My signature is still dead on accurate as well. Sometimes the only way to beat an evil force is to outlast it.

Edited by Bacon
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Dang, they Quantum Realm'd my guy

He Quatum Realm'd him damn self, imo.

Seemed like everytime he came back to "check on us" he was a worse dick then before without the power to ban people, like some bully that didn't realize everyone was same size as him now.

It was cute back in the growing pains days of being a teenager, but I remember calling him out on that at some point, then he started reiterating that was formally a Vikings fan now anyway, so I have no ****'s left to give on that one.

NSFW title, somewhere where I'm at...

Spoiler

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I reflect on today and it’s just unbelievable, even with all the recent revelations, this seems surreal.

I literally remember thinking there was a 100% chance this guy was going to basically ruin football for me for the rest of my life.  It wasn’t even that long ago that it seemed liked a foregone conclusion that he’d own this team forever.

I also can’t help but feel some level of vindication, that our voices have been heard, and all the forces have banded together to remove this POS.

The good guys rarely win, particularly against billionaires.  Sure, he’s going to walk away with more money than the sum of every fans savings put together.  It’s not about the money though, it’s the principal.

I know this seems bold with nothing in ink yet, but my soul is telling me this is it - this SOB is gone, one way or another.

Edited by BatteredFanSyndrome
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 3

4 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

He Quatum Realm'd him damn self, imo.

Seemed like everytime he came back to "check on us" he was a worse dick then before without the power to ban people, like some bully that didn't realize everyone was same size as him now.

It was cute back in the growing pains days of being a teenager, but I remember calling him out on that at some point, then he started reiterating that was formally a Vikings fan now anyway, so I have no ****'s left to give on that one.

NSFW title, somewhere where I'm at...

Reveal hidden contents

Oh I was joking. Art was a Menace. But I'm not here to talk about the past 👀

/Mark McGwire

4 minutes ago, CRobi21 said:

I asked Siri what Jeff Bezos' net worth is today...

Feel free to do so if you want. That number popping up on your phone hits harder than if I just posted it on here.

Lil Luthor got him big time

3 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I reflect on today and it’s just unbelievable, even with all the recent revelations, this seems surreal.

I literally remember thinking there was a 100% chance this guy was going to basically ruin football for me for the rest of my life.  It wasn’t even that long ago that it seemed liked a foregone conclusion that he’d own this team forever.

I also can’t help but feel some level of vindication, that our voices have been heard, and all the forces have banded together to remove this POS.

The good guys rarely win, particularly against billionaires.  Sure, he’s going to walk away with more money than the sum of every fans savings put together.  It’s not about the money though, it’s the principal.

I know this seems bold with nothing in ink yet, but my soul is telling me this is it - this SOB is gone, one way or another.

He was rich to start with and more money won’t move the needle on his daily life. He can only use one yacht, designer suit, mansion, etc. at one time. However, he’ll never be the bigwig in an NFL owner’s box again, nor will he command the attention of millions. He can just go and quietly ruin some other business and leave our team alone. Loss of T he attention, juice, and power that comes with being an NFL owner is what will really hurt him. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

17 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

We did it, my friend. Especially with the criminal investigation news dropping today. That **** ain't coincidental. The wolves are circling and it's full court press time.  He is a dead man walking. 

Bye, Felicia. 

Hail. All Damn Day, Err Day. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, djpapeleta360 said:

When this happens can the new owner please change the name back to the Redskins. Screw sponsors and woke media if they don't like it. Imagine someone like Bezos caring if you pull sponsorships with all his money. Changing the name he can argue actually cost this franchise money from lost fans.

It's over - nurse your nostalgia as you will but it's over

Now another two syllable name like "Red Wolves" or "Red Hawks"...

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

19 minutes ago, LetThePointsSoar said:

We did it, my friend. Especially with the criminal investigation news dropping today. That **** ain't coincidental. The wolves are circling and it's full court press time.  He is a dead man walking. 

Bye, Felicia. 

Hail. All Damn Day, Err Day. 

Love the profile pic change.  I’ll be watching them again from here on out.  It’s good to be back and I bet you feel the same.

• Like 1