Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Broken #1QB. Now who should start?

SlobberknockerSkinsFan

5 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

he also didn't play his rookie season, though...I think he worked his way up to #2 in his 2nd year.

You caused an old man to learn something new today.

According to second Cousin Google you are correct, sir!

"Brady started the 2000 season as the fourth-string quarterback, behind starter Drew Bledsoe and backups John Friesz and Michael Bishop; by the end of the season, he was number two on the depth chart behind Bledsoe. During his rookie season, he was 1-for-3 passing, for six yards."

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

You caused an old man to learn something new today.

According to second Cousin Google you are correct, sir!

"Brady started the 2000 season as the fourth-string quarterback, behind starter Drew Bledsoe and backups John Friesz and Michael Bishop; by the end of the season, he was number two on the depth chart behind Bledsoe. During his rookie season, he was 1-for-3 passing, for six yards."

I was hedging a bit in my earlier post lol...thank you for validating my unearned arrogance 👍

• Haha 1

Look I'm as sick of Heinicke as anyone after watching how bad the offense was last year, but there is no way Howell is ready to play winning football in the NFL right now. Dude was a 5th rounder for a reason. He's incredibly raw. As long as the team is mathematically in it, you go with the guy who has played meaningful snaps before. You owe it to guys like McLaurin, Allen, Payne etc. who are busting their butts trying to win to put the best guy out there.

Now once we get to late November and we're like 3-9? Sure, play Howell. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb up 2

I guess my whole issue with Howell starting over TH, is as someone else mentioned, our weak O-line, specifically LG. Norwell has been a veritable turnstile on pass protection and do you really want the rookie getting flattened like CW has been? At least Taylor can escape the pocket and still produce. Do we know if Howell can?

We shellshock young QB’s and have done so for years…

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

The long term starter isn’t on the roster.

You go with Sam to see what you have in him.  There’s no playoffs this year. This team likely to go 0-6 or 1-5 in the division.

That is what I said I thought.  You go with Howell to see what you got. Period.  I would not be surprised if we do not win another game. 

• Thumb up 1

46 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

Look I'm as sick of Heinicke as anyone after watching how bad the offense was last year, but there is no way Howell is ready to play winning football in the NFL right now. Dude was a 5th rounder for a reason. He's incredibly raw. As long as the team is mathematically in it, you go with the guy who has played meaningful snaps before. You owe it to guys like McLaurin, Allen, Payne etc. who are busting their butts trying to win to put the best guy out there.

Agree to disagree. He's not really raw. He has among the best fundamentals of the rookie class. His issue would be the style of offense he ran vs. The pros.

38 minutes ago, SlobberknockerSkinsFan said:

I guess my whole issue with Howell starting over TH, is as someone else mentioned, our weak O-line, specifically LG. Norwell has been a veritable turnstile on pass protection and do you really want the rookie getting flattened like CW has been? At least Taylor can escape the pocket and still produce. Do we know if Howell can?

His OL last year at UNC is, comparatively speaking, worse than this OL

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

39 minutes ago, SlobberknockerSkinsFan said:

He may not be ready so this isn’t an argument for starting him…but whenever he plays, Howell will have more rushing production than Heinicke has imo. 

• Like 1

Why would you insert a rookie instead of a QB who was actual NFL and playoff experience?

Only a fool would pick Howell to play instead of Heine. Also, it would dismantle the locker room.

And let's not even talk about forcing an inexperienced QB to play behind a porous OL, like Pat Ramsey found out the hard way with Spurrier. 

Consequences can be devastating.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

Heinicke until/if we are eliminated from playoff contention.  Then maybe start Howell.

I am not worried about draft picks when they have 11 games to play THIS season. I want to see them win now.  Not watch them lose for the sake of a hypothetical draft pick for a hypothetical savior. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Have JDR turn his D on full blast in practice and see which QB responds.

How will letting both QBs and the waterboy throw deep passes at will determine which is best? Because that's a specialty of a JDR defense.

9 minutes ago, El Mexican said:

Why would you insert a rookie instead of a QB who was actual NFL and playoff experience?

Only a fool would pick Howell to play instead of Heine. Also, it would dismantle the locker room.

And let's not even talk about forcing an inexperienced QB to play behind a porous OL, like Pat Ramsey found out the hard way with Spurrier. 

Consequences can be devastating.

Howell may or may not be ready. However, we need to see what he looks like. A lost season is the perfect time for him to start learning to read NFL defenses and get accustomed to the speed of the game. As for the OL, he might fare a bit better due to his mobility, unlike the statuesque Wince. Additionally, Howell could credibly run the RPO stuff that Wince failed miserably at, and for which Turner should be horse whipped for calling. Those plays can slow down a pass rush a little so it could potentially open up the playbook a bit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Hangman- C_Hanburger said:

Have JDR turn his D on full blast in practice and see which QB responds. Easy enough to see. JDR played pattycake D in Training camp and you see what good that did. You play like you practice..that all changed with Gruden and now Ron (Players Coaches). We need Gibbs/Shanny coaching

I like this idea - test the qbs against what they’re likely to face.  Of course, against this back 7, they could develop a false sense of confidence…

2 minutes ago, BigDibbs31 said:

Does anyone really thing we will get a good read on Howell with this pass protection? I'm not against playing him but probably just setting the dude up for failure

There’s a chance we will break him I think. But if he does stink it up we will end with high draft pick and be getting a QB anyways.

Best case, Howell improves as the season goes on and we can pick at a position of need or trade down because we have our QB of the future. 

If Wentz aint it we need to find out about Howell before the draft.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, BigDibbs31 said:

Does anyone really thing we will get a good read on Howell with this pass protection? I'm not against playing him but probably just setting the dude up for failure

I'd say yes. This team needs his mobility, moxie and he is a much better deep ball passer than is Wentz. Not that Wentz is bad, but Howell is better. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

This is the sensible and really the only reasonable take on this. Under no circumstance should SH be starting until we are officially done or TH gets hurt. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

Agree to disagree. He's not really raw. He has among the best fundamentals of the rookie class. His issue would be the style of offense he ran vs. The pros.

His OL last year at UNC is, comparatively speaking, worse than this OL

Season 4 Episode 13 GIF by The Office

5 hours ago, Peregrine said:

If Wentz cant go, 100% Rivera will play TH unless Snyder has assured him hes the coach next season no matter what.  Rivera truly believes its a great team and should be making the playoffs, hes not about to give it to the 5th round rookie, hes going to hope they can string a few wins together with the QB hes won some games with.

Facts, buckle up, those with faith in different places still prepare to be crushed soon.

• Sad 1

If Wentz is out 6 Weeks I think you can go with the plan right now of having Heinicke start to see if he provides a spark to get the team back to .500ish over the next 6 games. You have to go 4-2 to do that though. By this time next month this team will either be solidly back in the mix for a wildcard or pretty much mathematically eliminated.  If this team ends up with 8 losses before Wentz is ready to return, I don't see the value Heinicke provides at that point.  

If Howell comes in at a 2-8 or 3-7 record, the expectation is not that he is there to win games, but instead to get experience and help the coaches & front office figure out the best course of action going into the offseason.  There are still question marks about whether a healthy Wentz was worth the money he might be asking for in a restructure.  It's funny in a sad way but so many people before the season thought this scenario was possible, Wentz getting hurt I mean, but no one probably thought it would happen this soon into the season. 

The other thing to consider is that while Heinicke will have more weapons at his disposal, he is also playing behind a much worse O-line and his scrambling for life vs being able to drop back, scan reads and then take off is going to be a lot different this season.  I am not so confident that Heinicke won't end up hurt at some point if he has to play 4-6 weeks.