Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Broken #1QB. Now who should start?

SlobberknockerSkinsFan

With the Packers next, I assume Ron will start Heinicke instead of a rookie against a tough team. If we get demolished, then hopefully Ron will actually consider Sam to play against the Colts. I highly doubt it because Ron is very stubborn. 

Say what you want about Wentz but the guy is tough. He played almost the entire 2nd half with a broken finger and he had some tight spirals on most of his throws. He also does recover pretty quick. He had back issues last year and just played through it. I could see him back much quicker than 6 weeks. 

29 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Say what you want about Wentz but the guy is tough. He played almost the entire 2nd half with a broken finger and he had some tight spirals on most of his throws. He also does recover pretty quick. He had back issues last year and just played through it. I could see him back much quicker than 6 weeks. 

I think he had the back problems in Philly 2018 or 2019. Last year he suffered high ankle sprains on both sides in week 2 against the Rams. He somehow played the following week against the Titans where he was barely able to walk. At the end of the season he played against the Raiders just 5 days after being tested positive on Covid-19 (without being vaccinated).

I remember that after he torn his ACL 2017, he still finished the drive and even threw a TD.

He sure is a tough son of a b****.

Edited by Vandelay_Industries
  • Thumb up 2

18 hours ago, The Sisko said:

Howell may or may not be ready. However, we need to see what he looks like....

I understand where you're coming from man, but this ain't Madden 2023.

Until the playoffs are out of the question, Heine needs to start if Wentz can't play.

Throwing the rookie in there would send a catastrophic message to the whole team that the season is over.

Rivera would be last person to make such a drastic change.

He likes small but constant gains and putting a rookie QB a third of the way into the season is a massive gamble he doesn't need.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, skinsfan93 said:

With the Packers next, I assume Ron will start Heinicke instead of a rookie against a tough team. If we get demolished, then hopefully Ron will actually consider Sam to play against the Colts. I highly doubt it because Ron is very stubborn. 

Let’s hope not.  I don’t want him back, simply for the possibility of surrendering a 2nd if he plays 70% of the snaps.  Chances are that by the time he comes back, we’ll be mathematically eliminated from playoff contention.  Howell will be starting games by that point, and we save our 2nd.  There’s a good chance that we just saw the last of Wentz in a Commanders jersey this past Thursday night.

Edited by samy316
  • Thumb up 1

I’d like to see something highly unorthodox - like play TH, but give Howell a set of plays (with maybe a couple audibles) and throw him out there one play at a time.  Goal would be to get his feet wet and give him a chance at airing it out once or twice (preferably “safely”, like off a boot or in max protect).  Mix in handoffs, RPOs and wr screens so teams can’t key on the deep ball.  Probably crazy thinking, I know. :)

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

14 hours ago, BigDibbs31 said:

So Howell is already a better deep ball passer than Wentz? Based on what? His zero NFL games? This is one of the worst takes I've seen on here

Anyone taking the time to analyze the QB's coming out this class would have been keenly aware of this ability, which is elite. Per PFF: 

"Howell has arm talent for days. He has been an elite deep-ball thrower over course of his career."

I should have prefaced that it is my belief that Howell is a better deep ball passer than Wentz. I stick by that assessment and hopefully it will be on full display when he gets his shot with the Sam to Dyami Brown connection reestablished ala the UNC days. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Howell would be #2 and Heinicke off the team if he was game ready.  The coaches haven't shown the ability to hide weaknesses, and Howell's inexperience will be exploited. 

The smart move for any coach is not to give up on the season at 6/17 games, which is in effect giving up on the entire team, for Howell to learn.  I know is he is not "a starting QB", but the locker room knows he can win games.  Playing Taylor will maintain morale. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumb up 2

14 hours ago, skinsfan4128 said:

It's amazing to me to read the "let's play heinike" crowd. TH isn't going to salvage our damned season. This season is over, in case yall were wondering.

So, you can put TH out there and have a game or two of excitement.  Won't mean **** at the end of this season. So, why not see what you have in Howell? 

We need to see what we have in our 5th rd pick before next year's draft.

All this dumb shot about TH won't mean a thing by the end of the of the season. Finding out about our future? Priceless.

HTTR!

Howell hasnt even dressed for a regular season game. He is 3rd string and has had zero work with the starting offense. You have to start taylor for 2-3 weeks to get howell ready to play. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

Anyone taking the time to analyze the QB's coming out this class would have been keenly aware of this ability, which is elite. Per PFF: 

"Howell has arm talent for days. He has been an elite deep-ball thrower over course of his career."

I should have prefaced that it is my belief that Howell is a better deep ball passer than Wentz. I stick by that assessment and hopefully it will be on full display when he gets his shot with the Sam to Dyami Brown connection reestablished ala the UNC days. 

There is a long list of college QBs who were elite throwers or deep-ball throwers that had little to no success in the NFL. I will eat crow when Howell proves he is a better deep-ball thrower than Wentz in actual NFL games. 

15 hours ago, bowhunter said:

I don't see the flaw in this thinking. You've seen TH throw an NFL pass. Hopefully you've seen THs college tape. You probably came to the conclusion that TH did not have an NFL caliber arm. So did the scouts, and hence he was never promoted as a potential first round pick.

Personally I love the Cinderella story, and few people cheered more loudly when Taylor rallied his team behind him than I. But if I ever were to list the top qualities of Heiney, his arm strength would not make the top 8. So yeah, until I see otherwise, I would say that Sam being an unknown on deep ball passes would still rank higher until proven otherwise

Did you read the message I was quoting? The guy said Howell is a better deep ball thrower than Wentz...not TH. 

17 hours ago, Old Blue said:

I can almost guarantee you the saviour is not coming in the 5th round.

And that's exactly what we need to find out for sure.

Frankly, if it was up to me, we're moving up as high as we can get in this first round to secure a true blue chip QB prospect, regardless of Howell (if he was played) looks.  If there is any team in the history of the NFL that absolutely has to hedge its bets at the QB position, it's the one that plays in Washington.  

• Thumb up 2

I would like to see Howell to see if he lives up to his "would have been a first rounder last draft" hype. My fear is that our Oline, which has allowed 23 sacks through 6 games will get him broken. We are on pace to break the record of 58 in a single season. I did go to Heiny rehab and realize he isnt the long term solution, however if we are going to break them lets break them in order. Let Howell get more reps in practice and if he looks like he is grasping things slide him in when the coaches think he is ready. Heiny should start next week to give him that time though.

• Sad 1

4 hours ago, BigDibbs31 said:

Did you read the message I was quoting? The guy said Howell is a better deep ball thrower than Wentz...not TH. 

😳 Oops, no I didn't. I logged on after a long day at work and was reading the whole TH vs SH debate thing and made an ASSumption that was your topic at hand. Please disregard my quote. I owe you a beer

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

If Heinicke comes in and plays exactly the same as last year we are looking to upgrade… again… 

At this point it's tradition.

If Howell came in and looked like Kurt Warner he'd break a leg before the season it up. It's just how it is. 

• Sad 2

9 minutes ago, SkinsFTW said:

At this point it's tradition.

If Howell came in and looked like Kurt Warner he'd break a leg before the season it up. It's just how it is. 

I’m of the opinion (and it’s just that… I’m not in the room) that Howell would make a lot more sense. Wentz being out gives the team the opportunity to try the rookie and see what he has. If he looks bad or not ready you can turn to Heinicke immediately to avoid too much shell shock.

But if he plays well he has the combination of skills that make both Wentz and Heinicke desirable as options to people. Strong arm and mobility. Only things he is lacking are Wentz’ height and Heinicke’s knowledge of the playbook. 

Now, he could bomb out for sure. But I’d like to see it. 

Because he’s a fifth round rookie you can go to Heinicke and then back to Howell later if Howell isn’t ready. But it’s going to be hard to bench Heinicke if he gets the first chance because he’s going to do just enough to appear competent while not allowing the full playbook due to a lack of arm strength. 

But I think the Commanders will go with Heinicke despite my opinion, so it is what it is.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

Ron's only move at this point in the season is to go with the number 2 guy. Skipping over a decent backup to see what a rookie has tells the team they are looking toward next season. That's not the message you want to send after having only played 6 games so far. If they're dead in the water at week 14, sure, see what the rookie can do. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, BraveWarrior said:

Ron's only move at this point in the season is to go with the number 2 guy. Skipping over a decent backup to see what a rookie has tells the team they are looking toward next season. That's not the message you want to send after having only played 6 games so far. If they're dead in the water at week 14, sure, see what the rookie can do. 

It’s cute that you think it’ll take till week 14 for it to become obvious that the team and season are dead in the water 

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, BraveWarrior said:

I disagree with you. Playing the rookie could also say, “hey, we AREN’T giving up hope. Here is a guy with the skill set we said was needed to compete in the NFL this season and we’re going to give him a chance to prove he can do it, which is the reason we drafted him.”

I’d take putting Heinicke out there as more of a “punt on the season” move. We aren’t going to magically win the East with Heinicke (or Howell) at the helm. Why not play the guy with a higher upside?

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, El Mexican said:

I understand where you're coming from man, but this ain't Madden 2023.

Until the playoffs are out of the question, Heine needs to start if Wentz can't play.

Throwing the rookie in there would send a catastrophic message to the whole team that the season is over.

Rivera would be last person to make such a drastic change.

He likes small but constant gains and putting a rookie QB a third of the way into the season is a massive gamble he doesn't need.

C'mon, it's in his name! RIVERBOAT Ron. Roll those dice baby!!😃

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Conn said:

It’s cute that you think it’ll take till week 14 for it to become obvious that the team and season are dead in the water 

56 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I disagree with you. Playing the rookie could also say, “hey, we AREN’T giving up hope. Here is a guy with the skill set we said was needed to compete in the NFL this season and we’re going to give him a chance to prove he can do it, which is the reason we drafted him.”

I’d take putting Heinicke out there as more of a “punt on the season” move. We aren’t going to magically win the East with Heinicke (or Howell) at the helm. Why not play the guy with a higher upside?

Taylor knows Turners offense more than Wentz (I would imagine) and Howell. We are not mathematically eliminated yet from the playoffs. It doesn't matter how you feel about TH or Howell. You play the backup when your #1 goes down. You don't start building for the future after only 6 games regardless if you think the season is done. KDawg you are a football coach and you have already given up on your own team in a sense. 

Yes I would like to see Howell as well but you simply can't. But if TH doesn't move the offense or gets hurts then that is when you insert Howell. It is that simple and the proper steps to take. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, KDawg said:

???

Thats not even close to how any actual player in that lockerroom that sees them everyday would view it.  The team is not just 3 QBs.  Its 53 guys, at different positions, and they are all going to be pissed if you had it to the rookie who has never done anything or earned it and may play bad enough to cost them future contracts, over the guy they have been in the trenches with.  To act like Rivera doesnt know basic math and that #3 comes after #2 is just.....

I wonder if all thats left of the fanbase is insanity, as this page also includes the suggestion you just bring in Howell for a few plays a game to throw the ball downfield.

• Like 2