Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Broken #1QB. Now who should start?

SlobberknockerSkinsFan

16 minutes ago, NoVaSkins21 said:

They're basically worse off than they were last year.  Wentz, Snyder's hand-picked QB, is trash.  Heinicke is what he is as a backup, and Howell is an unknown

Then the choice is obvious-- Take out the trash, let the backup continue to back up, and fully embrace the unknown.

Samuel "Thurston" Howell the thirds time has come!

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

Maybe he gives 5 percent of the fanbase of 10000 of this fanbase will agree that he brings some excitement but most mediocre defense will be able to stuff him, he brings zero future hope potential and is only on the roster because some fans believe in him. 

A coach who makes decisions based on what the fans want. Isn't in this league for very long.

Howell.

Have to see what we have. And a rookie QB is always exciting to see.

If he struggles along the way and they feel like they have to play TH, fine. But we shouldn't see TH before Howell. TH is a known entity for better or worse:

Wentz: Strong arm, great touch on deep balls, not bad in the intermediate, horrible on short throws and throws to the sideline. Jumpy in the pocket, low mobility.

Heinicke: Noodle arm. Inconsistent accuracy. Knows the playbook. Plays hard on every play. Good mobility.

Howell: ?

I can tell you what I think Howell will be, but until we see we don't know. But for the record here's my thought:

Howell: Strong arm, good mobility, plays hard every play, used to a porous OL. A mix between Wentz' positive traits and Heinicke's.

For the record, if we finish with a high enough pick to draft a QB we will do that. But if we somehow find success and play ourselves out of the high end QB sweepstakes (again) then I think Howell and Heinicke wouldn't be a bad combo of QBs for next season. If we play ourselves out of the high end QB sweepstakes it means Howell likely played pretty well anyways.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 5

If this franchise is at all capable of looking past its nose, then the answer is as clear as crystal: Howell.  Playing Taylor is just a waste of time. 

However....this franchise in incapable of ever doing what's right with regard to the long-term well-being of the franchise.  So...I expect Ron to trot out Taylor in a pathetic effort to make his putrid coaching and laughable record in Year 3 look just a tad better.

45 minutes ago, Old Blue said:

I value wins over draft picks, and so do winning teams. Draft picks we've had, it's wins we're lacking.

I value finding out if we have the long-term answer at the game's most important position over a few measly wins in yet another putrid season.  What will wins do?  We have no fanbase left to win back as long as Snyder is owner.  The only thing a few wins do with TH at the helm is prevent us from knowing if we need to draft a long-term answer at QB (we do) and at the same time, taking away our means to do that very thing in the draft without giving up the better part of our picks in the next few drafts. 

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

16 minutes ago, Old Blue said:

The fans have bought into the wait till next year mantra. it's a dangerous place to be. Because in the end, next year never comes.

Its more because its obvious to just about anyone with half a brain that this team isnt going anywhere. 

• Thumb up 1

The love for Howell is unreal.  There's a reason he was a fifth round pick, and if we didn't take him then we would have gone undrafted.  He holds the ball for way too long which means he has trouble processing and reading defenses.  I've been wrong before, but with the luck of this team I highly doubt we found a franchise QB in the fifth round.  Having said that, I do support starting Howell over TH.  At least Howell has the deep ball threat to spread the defense out.  

• Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1

7 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

The love for Howell is unreal.  There's a reason he was a fifth round pick, and if we didn't take him then we would have gone undrafted.  He holds the ball for way too long which means he has trouble processing and reading defenses.  I've been wrong before, but with the luck of this team I highly doubt we found a franchise QB in the fifth round.  Having said that, I do support starting Howell over TH.  At least Howell has the deep ball threat to spread the defense out.  

Its not a love of Howell. At least for most. Im sure for some it is love just because hes a drafted QB. Its more about finding out answers. Especially when theres exactly zero upside to playing Taylor. 

• Thumb up 2

7 minutes ago, Daniel.redskins said:

Hey, you may wind up being right. But Pickett was chosen 20th overall and he's been nothing short of awful so far. 

Howell has gotten knocked by many through the draft process and I continue to stand by his ability. I had him as a back end first round QB, not a high selection despite the fact I like him for what that's worth. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Then the choice is obvious-- Take out the trash, let the backup continue to back up, and fully embrace the unknown.

Samuel "Thurston" Howell the thirds time has come!

The thing is that Rivera won't go to Howell right now.  If he believes Heinicke gives them the best chance to win, then it will be TH.  Howell's time won't come until the end of the season when they're out of it with nothing to play for.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Zim489 said:

Its not a love of Howell. At least for most. Im sure for some it is love just because hes a drafted QB. Its more about finding out answers. Especially when theres exactly zero upside to playing Taylor. 

The upside is you might win! There maybe some plays with TH to Terry where I yell heck ya! But maybe he blows and I yell crap! Yea I dont get it, this TH might win some games will hurt us in April isnt the way I think. TH had some really good games last year when the team was complete. To each their own, but guys wanting to loose in Oct for April I will never understand. I want some enjoyable Mons, by the way all those who want to play Sam and want to loose even if it means seeing a player dont take in consideration the rest of the team. You think Allen, Terry, etc want to put players out there that arent ready or want to loose for April? Nobody thinks like that in the NFL, to be honest that is looser thinking. There maybe a time for Sam but its not yet.

Edited by TChaler70
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1

I don't want to see Heinike again. Even if he says he has improved his long ball, I don't care. He is what he is. That means allowing Howell to go through his growing pains as a rookie NOW.  And I think since he has a big arm, our run game will not suffer, either. They can help him out. At first, I was against it, because of our putrid line, and then I thought about draft positioning, and other QB rookies that had to play with below average lines, and thought he has to just suck it up.  And I don't want Wentz getting 70% of the snaps, and I want to know what we have in Howell at the same time.  If he does well, you roll with him and end the Wentz experiment, and get a couple decent draft picks in the process. Maybe a really good LB for once or safety. Improve our secondary because it is so sub par.

Personal meal culpa is overdue and the one thing I learned very early in life is that men of character always pay there bills.

During the game both on the forum and alone at home I was calling Wentz every bad name in the book and a few that ain't even been invented yet for underperforming and throwing so many crazy ass bad passes (although he had some drops too).

Now after realizing that the dude was gutting it out heroically while dealing with not only  a severely mangled and fractured finger but also a nasty ankle sprain, bruised ribs,  and a clueless offensive play caller who is clearly in over his head I feel just this side of internet awful.

Carson, despite the considerable obstacles he encountered never once complained, backed down or asked for quarter. He accepted the challenge without blinking like a mythical old west cowboy at a showdown shootout. 

He stood strong in the storm, faced it head on and prevailed in the end. He fought a noble fight and even a loudmouthed obnoxious dunderhead like myself can recognize that there is rare honor in that.

I do not know what the future holds for young Carson Wentz the quarterback-- no one does. 

Carson Wentz the man, however, has most certainly earned my enduring respect and a tip of my hat.

image.png.230f11404b396cba417841a7a850c505.png

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

As soon as Sam is ready, you start him. If they feel he can start next week, then start him. If not go with Taylor until then.

But what QB is ready? This is how you break into the league and the game slows down faster. Gives us a chance to see what he can do.  Have your outlets, run the ball, and take your shots.

6 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

But what QB is ready? This is how you break into the league and the game slows down faster. Gives us a chance to see what he can do.  Have your outlets, run the ball, and take your shots.

The long term starter isn’t on the roster.

You go with Sam to see what you have in him.  There’s no playoffs this year. This team likely to go 0-6 or 1-5 in the division.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Zim489 said:

Dont care. What is the point in playing taylor? Accidently win a game or 2? **** that

I think you only play Taylor if Howell is not ready. But you work you ass off as a staff to get him ready. 

21 minutes ago, skinsmania123 said:

If sam doesn't know the offense yet you start taylor 

36 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Personal meal culpa is overdue and the one thing I learned very early in life is that men of character always pay there bills.

During the game I was calling Wentz every bad name in the book and a few that ain't been written yet for throwing so many crazy ass bad passes (although he had some drops too).

Now realizing that the dude was gutting it out heroically while dealing with not only  a severely mangled and fractured finger but also a nasty ankle sprain, bruised ribs,  and a clueless offensive play caller who is clearly in over his head.

However, he never once complained, backed down from the challenge or asked for quarter.

He stood strong in the storm, faced it head on and prevailed in the end. He fought a noble fight and even a loudmouthed obnoxious dunderhead like myself can recognize that their is rare honor in that.

I do not know what the future holds for young Carson Wentz the quarterback, no one does. 

However, Carson Wentz, the man, has most certainly earned my enduring respect.

image.png.230f11404b396cba417841a7a850c505.png

Carson has been the ultimate professional while with the team. There has been as far as we can know nothing negative from him other than his erratic play 

• Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Old Blue said:

If, as I believe, Wentz is not familiar enough with the offence to produce, how familiar is the 3rd stringer?  Or perhaps you think our 5th round pick is the next Tom Brady?

Well, Brady was a 6th round pick so you never know what you have until they play.

• Thanks 1

In my eyes, you start the QB who understands the scheme the best, shows in practice that they are the best option, and that the coaches have the most confidence in to help the team win. Anything else and you're wasting everyone's time.

Guys will put their bodies and even careers on the line for wins...but very little else.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

I don't care who they put in I'm just glad the Wentz experiment may be over,  He's a good dude unlike how he was portrayed in the media but I get the frustration previous fan bases have had with him.

I would like to see Howell but my gut tells me Ron plays Heinicke until we get around 8 losses and then we see Sam.

• Like 2