Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Broken #1QB. Now who should start?

SlobberknockerSkinsFan

I think that Heinicke will get the start because he's the backup according to the teams official site, although it is notoriously slow to update. They still don't have a report on the Wentz injury for example, and the depth chart is still listed as unofficial.

Personally, I'd like to see Howell get the start but am almost certain it will be TH.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

As bad as I want to see what Howell can do because I already know what Heinicke can't, we all deep down inside know what's going to happen to him behind this oline.

I don't agree with putting Taylor out there "because he gives us best chance to win", because if Wentz is out 6 weeks, that's end of season stuff for most franchises no matter how good their overall team is.

I want to win, tired of losing, but can you imagine the chaos if we Taylor does well after what we did to get Wentz?  It's a contract year for him, so he could play well enough to ask for a contract that can't afford keeping Wentz even if neither are worth what they are being paid.  Who do you let go, keep, the correct answer is purge, but if certain people aren't first we may do something epically stupid even in a best case scenario with Taylor starting.

TL;DR - this is ultimate lose-lose scenario, so I'm going to hope for a clearing house at end of the season instead allowing anything good or bad to cloud whether to do that.

Rooting for wins even if it hurts...

Edited by Renegade7
  • Sad 1

Sam Howell was originally considered by many to be the projected #1 qb in the draft last year going into the college season. He didn’t even have a bad season but because it wasn’t as good as his year the one prior, he dropped significantly. I watched Howell play a few games in college, and I remember thinking “oh this guy is better then Pickett and Coral.” I truly believe he has a shot to be our franchise qb. And I’m not some UNC homer. I’m a die hard notre dame fan, and I watched Howell carry his team on his back to give us a tough game that year.

• Like 4
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Redwards said:

If this franchise is at all capable of looking past its nose, then the answer is as clear as crystal: Howell.  Playing Taylor is just a waste of time. 

However....this franchise in incapable of ever doing what's right with regard to the long-term well-being of the franchise.  So...I expect Ron to trot out Taylor in a pathetic effort to make his putrid coaching and laughable record in Year 3 look just a tad better.

I value finding out if we have the long-term answer at the game's most important position over a few measly wins in yet another putrid season.  What will wins do?  We have no fanbase left to win back as long as Snyder is owner.  The only thing a few wins do with TH at the helm is prevent us from knowing if we need to draft a long-term answer at QB (we do) and at the same time, taking away our means to do that very thing in the draft without giving up the better part of our picks in the next few drafts. 

I can almost guarantee you the saviour is not coming in the 5th round.

• Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1

1 hour ago, London Kev said:

Personally, I'd like to see Howell get the start but am almost certain it will be TH.

I mean we know what we have with TH. 

I keep hearing Howell isn’t ready. He’s a 5th round pick playing 3rd string. It makes total sense he’s not ready. And the last thing that would be “good” to do as a football org is throw your new draft pick out there when they aren’t ready, just because you don’t want to trot Wentz out there. 

2-4 isn’t a death sentence but this team plays like total garbage. They are likely worse than their record indicates. So any notion of saving the season is a total joke. 

You put TH out there because wentz cannot get 70% of the snaps and he clearly sucks, and Howell isn’t ready. 

and if it turns out TH makes it at least kind of fun to watch - then that’s a bonus. 

this is about not losing your second round pick to a ****ty trade where you already lost a third round pick, and not throwing a guy out there to just fail and ruin his career because we’re a ****ty organization and he’s not ready. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

3 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

I'd say yes. This team needs his mobility, moxie and he is a much better deep ball passer than is Wentz. Not that Wentz is bad, but Howell is better. 

So Howell is already a better deep ball passer than Wentz? Based on what? His zero NFL games? This is one of the worst takes I've seen on here

Edited by BigDibbs31
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, tshile said:

2-4 isn’t a death sentence but this team plays like total garbage. They are likely worse than their record indicates. So any notion of saving the season is a total joke. 

Commanders should probably be 0-6. Lucked out on a few overthrown passes in the endzone. They're definitely worse than their record indicates. 😞

9 hours ago, KDawg said:

Hey, you may wind up being right. But Pickett was chosen 20th overall and he's been nothing short of awful so far. 

Howell has gotten knocked by many through the draft process and I continue to stand by his ability. I had him as a back end first round QB, not a high selection despite the fact I like him for what that's worth. 

Plus if he would have come out a year earlier would have been a 1st round pick.  He literally lost every single weapon on offense and the cupboard was bare for him 

It's amazing to me to read the "let's play heinike" crowd. TH isn't going to salvage our damned season. This season is over, in case yall were wondering.

So, you can put TH out there and have a game or two of excitement.  Won't mean **** at the end of this season. So, why not see what you have in Howell? 

We need to see what we have in our 5th rd pick before next year's draft.

All this dumb shot about TH won't mean a thing by the end of the of the season. Finding out about our future? Priceless.

HTTR!

• Like 2

All you numb nuts saying TH will bring more than Carson must have been watching last year through a blast shield.  

TH will play, and unless he's somehow gotten an arm replacement, everything will be within 10 yards of the LOS, and we can expect our receivers in concussion protocol.  At least 1, probably 2.   

That said, I don't want Howell to play.  QB is a dependent position.  Norwell, Larsen and Charles are going to get whoever lines up under center killed.  So I'd prefer it be the no-talent guy who's going to be out of the league.  

I don't think you'll learn beans about Howell if he plays, except if he can run away real fast, which I think we already kindof know.   

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, BigDibbs31 said:

So Howell is already a better deep ball passer than Wentz? Based on what? His zero NFL games? This is one of the worst takes I've seen on here

I don't see the flaw in this thinking. You've seen TH throw an NFL pass. Hopefully you've seen THs college tape. You probably came to the conclusion that TH did not have an NFL caliber arm. So did the scouts, and hence he was never promoted as a potential first round pick.

Personally I love the Cinderella story, and few people cheered more loudly when Taylor rallied his team behind him than I. But if I ever were to list the top qualities of Heiney, his arm strength would not make the top 8. So yeah, until I see otherwise, I would say that Sam being an unknown on deep ball passes would still rank higher until proven otherwise

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I start Heinicke until we're mathematically eliminated or the offense just remains god awful

This is the correct answer. No matter how much you want to see Howell next week and how much you don't want to see TH. The season is not over yet, mathematically. You play to win as much as you can. When we are eliminated then the evaluation process begins not just for the QB but for all other players as well. This is also when you bring up guys who are backups and see if you want to keep them for next season or not. 

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, Old Blue said:

If, as I believe, Wentz is not familiar enough with the offence to produce, how familiar is the 3rd stringer?  Or perhaps you think our 5th round pick is the next Tom Brady?

Only one way to find out. Maybe he has a higher football IQ than Wentz. Maybe he'll click better with the WRs and TEs. Maybe he'll be mobile enough to extend plays with his legs, which Wentz seems to have lost the ability to do (though he's proven he can throw a nasty block). 

11 hours ago, TradeTheBeal! said:

Also, the Howell 3rd down “imma stiff arm a couple linebackers” playing style is not sustainable at this level.  He needs more clipboard time to get that coached out of him.  

If you elevate him to starter now, he’s not gonna make it to Thanksgiving.

If that's true, we should find out sooner than later, so we know he's not the guy going forward. This is no longer a league where you can sit a young guy with potential for 3 or 4 years before he gets his chance. 

2 hours ago, Captain Wiggles said:

Commanders should probably be 0-6. Lucked out on a few overthrown passes in the endzone. They're definitely worse than their record indicates. 😞

If we're gonna play that game, one could say they could just as easily be 3-3, given the close loss to the Titans.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

One thing is pretty much agreeable here, and that is no one on coaching staff has any form of creativity or ability to scheme to get better results. 

Let's face it; neither QB will likely get this team on a heater, the chances of winning the division are all but mathematically gone. 

Why not play BOTH Howell and Heinicke? This way both get an opportunity to play, both are young QBs so they'll be able to learn a thing or 2 from each other, and hey, if one is playing much much better than the other then you have the answer of what to do. 

Gibbs bounced Shroeder and Williams in and out all season and look what happened! lol, i'm not saying it would happen but it sure would keep opponents on their toes guessing. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

20 minutes ago, skins island connection said:

One thing is pretty much agreeable here, and that is no one on coaching staff has any form of creativity or ability to scheme to get better results. 

Let's face it; neither QB will likely get this team on a heater, the chances of winning the division are all but mathematically gone. 

Why not play BOTH Howell and Heinicke? This way both get an opportunity to play, both are young QBs so they'll be able to learn a thing or 2 from each other, and hey, if one is playing much much better than the other then you have the answer of what to do. 

Gibbs bounced Shroeder and Williams in and out all season and look what happened! lol, i'm not saying it would happen but it sure would keep opponents on their toes guessing. 

no friggin way; that makes sense

• Haha 1

Maybe Dan or Tanya could start. They would save money by not having to pay their own contracts. The line is really solid and should give them plenty of time in the pocket. We know Turner is great at scheming plays for his personnel. 

Maybe Dan is the next Doug Flutie or Tanya is the next Joe Namath. Tanya and Joe have a lot in common like wearing womens clothes and Dan isn’t too much shorter than Flutie.

We don’t know unless we try. I’m willing to make this sacrifice.

• Haha 1

As usual I will be lobbying for both. Yes the unthinkable yet again let both get reps in games as see how it plays out. See if TayTay can get some wins until we are eliminated proper while getting ThurThur much needed reps/evaulation of what we have here. Ease the rookie in without the pressure of being THE GUY. Say next week we are blown out halfway though the 4th. Enter Howell. Or TH has led us to a blowout. Enter Howell.

RR is old school and likes TH so is the guy for now which shouldn't surprise anyone as we know the NFL until recently would never think of starting a 5th round QB in his first year. I don't expect to see Howell until week 17 2nd half barring injury. Gibbs would have clipboarded his ass for 3 years and no one here would have complained and that was a league norm for all but top overall picks.

Carson went to the west coast for a broken finger?  He sure wants to get as far away from the Snyder dumpster fire as quickly as possible.

It'll be telling if Ron doesn't bring in a QB. Paging Ryan Fitzp Leaf

Edited by RandyHolt

Washington's offensive line and their poor pass protection have already done a "Ramsey job" on Wentz's confidence in the pocket.  So, do you really want to do the same to a young, promising QB talent, still being shaped as a possible Washington QB starter for the near future?  You might simply turn him into another Ramsey.

Rather, until the line gets a little better, it's probably wiser to use Heinicke.   Heinicke has greater experience dealing with this poor O-line, quicker grasp of Turner's game plan, and a gritty "escapability" factor to buy the time needed.  And even though Heinicke is not in the future plans for Washington, he will play hard as he can because he showcasing his talents to other teams. Moreover, since the O-Line does not currently seem able to pass-protect long enough for Turner's long pass plays, that somewhat means Heinicke's weak arm isn't as big of a negative, ...at least until the O-Line gets better.

Also,, I mentioned this in another post -- if Washington wants to avoid exceeding the 70% snaps threshold for Wentz, which triggers having to give up a 2nd rounder rather than a 3rd.rounder...then they should play Heinicke.  Heinicke's "dink-&-dunk" style usually results in more snaps per drive than what Wentz (and his long pass ability) averaged.  Both Wentz and Howell have strong arms would  encourage Turner into trying for the long play --which even if successfull, results in fewer snaps (Fewer number of plays per drive, either due to long yardage gains leading to scoring plays,, or incompletions on 3rd down, or interceptions).

In a way its cynical -- using Heinicke to start, because he's viewed as a short primer with Washington, almost a disposable QB, to fill in until conditions are better for trying out the more "valuable" Howell or even Wentz when there are more favorable conditions supporting their style of play.

Edited by Wyvern