Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

20 minutes ago, tshile said:

I have my name as my gmail address cause I got in during private invite only beta

suck it losers enjoy your ****ty email addresses 

Thankfully I signed up for Gmail early on. I'm not part of the early invite beta master race glitterati but I at least wasn't relegated to @catturd$69 territory. 

• Haha 5

The freedom of speech/freedom of reach thing is interesting. 

and if it was done by someone else and announced in a, I don’t know, usual way major policy changes are announced, I’d be curious the result. 

however everything that boob does is haphazard so I imagine it’ll be a disaster 

I ranted about this in the Tesla thread and caught flack for it but this is the same dumb**** that thought it was a good idea to release self driving cars on the public, in essentially an alpha/beta status, because he had them sign a piece of paper saying they acknowledged it was in testing mode. 

I called him reckless then and said it’s the antithesis of what engineering is actually about.

I am glad to see more people get it now and see what a boob this guy is. 

• Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, tshile said:

and if it was done by someone else and announced in a, I don’t know, usual way major policy changes are announced, I’d be curious the result. 

I ranted about this in the Tesla thread and caught flack for it but this is the same dumb**** that thought it was a good idea to release self driving cars on the public, in essentially an alpha/beta status, because he had them sign a piece of paper saying they acknowledged it was in testing mode. 

I called him reckless then and said it’s the antithesis of what engineering is actually about.

You have never been in the “self driving car” so I’m not surprised you think they are dangerous to be on the road. But they aren’t any more dangerous than any car on the road, and in fact, are safer per mile.

32 minutes ago, tshile said:

I have my name as my gmail address cause I got in during private invite only beta

:ols: 

I got in via invite during the beta as well so I basically got to pick my gmail address. I've had people ask "How did you get that?" when I tell it to them.

25 minutes ago, tshile said:

@China’s article above is the more nitty gritty of what I was trying to explain. 

SRE is the most high demand thing out there. And unlike CyberSecurity it’s not just a buzz word where dopes have no problem passing a certificate and get a tedious job like running someone else’s scripts, looking for the sections in the report in red, and forwarding them on saying “you have to fix these”

(seriously most cyber security people are clowns)

you have to know your **** to get into a good sre gig (and tons of places are posting sre positions that are not sre roles at all…)

and you won’t last long if you somehow pass through the interview but can’t actually do the work. You make too much and are too important to be incompetent. 

it’s what I was chasing before I had my new sweet gig drop in my lap out of the blue. Had built an entire home lab for demo purposes and was going on interviews. The pay and perks are outrageous and if you’re good and land with a good team the job isn’t even hard at all. 

Yeah that's very nitty gritty, but pretty much everything he said is completely on point. So many things can go wrong with complex systems and network architectures.

It's funny to me that, like, whenever Trump got banned everyone on the left was like "It's a private company with a Terms of Service, they can do whatever they want and ban whoever they want!"

Well, still a private company, Elon can do whatever he wants.  And he certainly is, much to the dismay of people who don't like him.  All of a sudden the whole "It's a private company, they can do what they want!" argument seems to be pissing people off.

And I am here for it :)

• Thumb up 1

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's funny to me that, like, whenever Trump got banned everyone on the left was like "It's a private company with a Terms of Service, they can do whatever they want and ban whoever they want!"

Well, still a private company, Elon can do whatever he wants.  And he certainly is, much to the dismay of people who don't like him.  All of a sudden the whole "It's a private company, they can do what they want!" argument seems to be pissing people off.

And I am here for it :)

I don’t think anyone is saying he can’t do what he wants?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

36 minutes ago, tshile said:

Bad idea. When your emails to the penis enlargement clinic are intercepted, it’s easy for bad actors to use that information.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, China said:

Thread Reader :I've seen a lot of people asking "why does everyone think Twitter is doomed?"

As an SRE and sysadmin with 10+ years of industry experience, I wanted to write up a few scenarios that are real threats to the integrity of the bird site over the coming weeks. 
For context, I have seen some variant of every one of these problems pose a serious threat to a billion-user application. I've even caused a couple of the more technical ones. I've been involved with triaging or fixing even more. 

1) Random hard drive fills up. You have no idea how common it is for a single hosed box to cause cascading failures across systems, even well-engineered fault-tolerant ones with active maintenance. Where's the box? What's filling it up? Who will figure that out? 

2) Physical issue with the network takes down a DC. I gather Twitter is primarily on-prem, and I've seen what happens when a tree knocks out a critical fiber line during a big news event. 

Click on the link for the full list

32 minutes ago, tshile said:

@China’s article above is the more nitty gritty of what I was trying to explain. 

SRE is the most high demand thing out there. And unlike CyberSecurity it’s not just a buzz word where dopes have no problem passing a certificate and get a tedious job like running someone else’s scripts, looking for the sections in the report in red, and forwarding them on saying “you have to fix these”

(seriously most cyber security people are clowns)

you have to know your **** to get into a good sre gig (and tons of places are posting sre positions that are not sre roles at all…)

and you won’t last long if you somehow pass through the interview but can’t actually do the work. You make too much and are too important to be incompetent. 

it’s what I was chasing before I had my new sweet gig drop in my lap out of the blue. Had built an entire home lab for demo purposes and was going on interviews. The pay and perks are outrageous and if you’re good and land with a good team the job isn’t even hard at all. 

I work for a company in the observability space and we have some sales notes on Twitter. I’ll add one additional piece of complexity to their SRE practice which will ultimately break them: 

Twitter’s monitoring stack is all custom/in-house. It’s not like you can go hire some people who have used xyz commercial tool before and bring them in for immediate replacement and value.  Not only are the people who know Twitter’s infrastructure largely gone, their people who know how to use the tools that monitor Twitter’s infrastructure are going to be largely gone. 

When **** starts failing, it’s going to take a very, very, very long time to get back online. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

People certainly seem to have a problem with him doing what he wants :ols: 

I think you are confusing violating the twitter tos, firing people while probably breaking labor laws, and the majority of us laughing at Elons catastrophic handling of all of this. 

Fwiw Elon can do what he wants (within the law) with the company. We can all still criticize and laugh at him without being two faced about it. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 3
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

Yeah I would assume he’s going to have lawsuits to deal with too. I mean…

the level at which this moron is failing is just absolutely spectacular (assuming the reports are true)

the funny thing is it’s undeniable for anyone with a clue on the industry and an ounce of objectivity. He’s going to find himself laughed at in the elite circus he previous had respect in (if he even did - often times we find out when an “elite” gets exposed, the other elites in the circle knew it for a while …)

1 minute ago, tshile said:

Yeah I would assume he’s going to have lawsuits to deal with too. I mean…

There are already two, and maybe there will be more to come:

Twitter sued by employees after mass layoffs begin

Twitter was sued by former employees who say they were not given enough notice under federal and California law that they had lost their jobs amid ongoing mass layoffs.

The class-action lawsuit was filed in San Francisco federal court Thursday by five current or former Twitter employees, including Emmanuel Cornet, a software engineer known for his satirical cartoons critiquing Silicon Valley, who was fired Tuesday, according to the complaint.

Click on the link for the full article

-------------------------

Disabled employee sues Twitter over Musk's ban on remote work

Twitter Inc (TWTR.MX) owner Elon Musk's mandate that employees stop working remotely and put in "long hours at high intensity" discriminates against workers with disabilities, a new lawsuit claims.

Dmitry Borodaenko, a California-based engineering manager who said Twitter fired him this week when he refused to report to the office, filed a proposed class action against the company in San Francisco federal court on Wednesday.

Borodaenko said Musk's recent call for Twitter employees to return to the office or quit violates the federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), which requires employers to offer reasonable accommodations to workers with disabilities.

• Like 1

See - what I want to know… is wtf happened to this dude. 

is this the way he ran spacex and Tesla?

i get that aeronautical engineers are different than auto engineers are different than software engineers… but for many big industries once a person reaches elite status in the profession they demand and get a certain level of respect. 

I mean maybe in both cases you could say being involved in cutting edge industry advancement can combat being treated like **** on some level.

I always assumed he was just good at identifying talent, throwing money at them to bring them onboard, and taking all the credit for their work. I’ve ranted against this guy for years here but even I’m surprised at just how incompetent he appears to be. If I didn’t know any better I would have assumed his dad gave him every dollar and he’s never run anything of substance in his life before. 

I mean you can’t even run lemonade stands this way. 

is it just an example of someone spending years on twitter just consuming accolades and just completely losing himself? Does he have a mental illness or something?

this is snyder/trump levels incompetence

(I recall equating his behaviors to trump a few months back and our resident musk eKnight getting quite upset about it - but here it is, on full display for everyone to see)

@tshile

I don't think so.  Him treating people poorly could be something that management smooths over for him. 

I have no idea why he would take Twitter and touch it... but he wanted to.  Tesla and SpaceX and whatever failed ventures he has also done he had a vision and carried the vision and indeed did pay others to help with much of the technical.  

Again, odd people are Tweeting out the death of Twitter.  

1 hour ago, EmirOfShmo said:

First I've heard of this email-account shaming. I'm taking notes (in Wordperfect), will print them out and mail to the proper authorities (that's USPS ****es the ONLY real mail service).

You should put together a spreadsheet to analyze this phenomenon.  I'll wait while you start up Lotus 1-2-3.

• Haha 3

Guys, it’s easy. Elon tweeted himself into a corner. He knows nothing about running a social media company but forced himself into buying something he doesn’t want. This is the result. 

personally I think Twitter will get sorted out eventually, but I don’t think it will be a profitable venture for Elon, to say the least.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

People certainly seem to have a problem with him doing what he wants :ols: 

Granted, I'm really not paying attention. 

But I'm not seeing anybody claiming he can't do what he wants. 

What I'm seeing, are people laughing at him doing what he wants. 

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Larry said:

Granted, I'm really not paying attention. 

But I'm not seeing anybody claiming he can't do what he wants. 

What I'm seeing, are people laughing at him doing what he wants. 

I’m laughing with him.  There are a lot of people who seem to be very upset with him. 

Hey, when did you switch from underlining  to italics?

8 hours ago, tshile said:

Well, everyone except a certain cowgirl who’s been saying “You like that” since 1984.

8 hours ago, mistertim said:

:ols: 

I got in via invite during the beta as well so I basically got to pick my gmail address. I've had people ask "How did you get that?" when I tell it to them.

Get your own domain and you can have anything you want. Mine is m5@mydomainisonlyfourletters.net Short and easy. Best money I ever spent.

• Haha 1

Elon Musk unbans several controversial Twitter accounts, but says not yet on Trump

Elon Musk on Friday said Twitter plans to restore several controversial accounts that had previously been banned or suspended, but added that the company has not yet made a decision about the account of former President Donald Trump.

The announcement came as a follow-up to a tweet in which Musk attempted to clarify what the platform’s content moderation policies will be under his leadership.

“New Twitter (TWTR) policy is freedom of speech, not freedom of reach,” Musk said in the tweet, echoing an approach that is something of an industry standard. “Negative/hate tweets will be max deboosted & demonetized, so no ads or other revenue to Twitter (TWTR).”

Musk said that controversial Canadian podcaster Jordan Peterson and the right-leaning satire website Babylon Bee, which had both previously been banned from the platform, would have their accounts restored. He added that comedian Kathy Griffin, who was suspended from the platform earlier this month for impersonating Musk, would have her account restored.

The billionaire Twitter owner previously said he would delay the ruling on Trump, who this week announced plans to run for President in 2024, and other major content-related decisions until a “content moderation council” was in place to help make those calls.