Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

31 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Does anyone really believe Twitter is going to be shut down?  C'mon.

It sounds like it's close to running on toothpicks and marshmallows right now...its not sustainable, there's still time to change that, but something happens during that window, yes, it could come down. 

Will it stay down, up to Musk, not buying it, but it will never be the same if it does.  **** happens even in well run operations, they don't have enough folks to survive that right now at this very moment. 

I don't use Twitter... but how poorly designed and developed is a website/"internet app" if it requires many people to maintain and run?  

I know this is a "serious but non serious" rhetorical.  

In before Jack Dorsey buys Twitter back for $3.50... 

Mrs. Fergasun and I were talking about Elon and she basically said "that's the problem with asberger's people... no empathy... they think the world revolves around them."  At least he's only hurting his own fortune and unlike bank failures this will not impact main street much.  

How much we pathetically overvalue tech...

3 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

This will be Twitter's homepage soon lol...

image.png.2e724b61b0b7ccd8de1c7e91fd7781b5.png

I've gone on record as saying I hope it happens.  I saw some **** on there earlier today bemoaning the fact that this was the downfall of a "public utility" which made me laugh.  I always thought that electric, gas, water, etc were public utilities but **** me, how could I not understand that Twitter was SO ****ING IMPORTANT.  The dumbing down of our society's ability to communicate to 280 characters and gunning for mic drops and punchlines is so invaluable, it would just have to rank right up there with the ability to have water pouring from a faucet or the heat coming on in the house in December.  

• Thanks 1

I don't think Twitter will be shut down any time soon.  I think it will start to look a lot like Yahoo (which still has a website up, but I had to check).  Yahoo once got an offer to purchase it for $47 billion from Microsoft.  Eight years later, which was chock full of bad management, it was purchased by Verizon for 10% of that.  Yahoo used to be HUGE.  Now it's basically nothing.  I can see that happening if this poor management continues and people take their worthless thoughts elsewhere. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fergasun said:

I don't use Twitter... but how poorly designed and developed is a website/"internet app" if it requires many people to maintain and run?  

Are you IT by any chance?  Because that's reasonably considering how many people use Twitter around the world right now.

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

I don't think Twitter will be shut down any time soon.  I think it will start to look a lot like Yahoo (which still has a website up, but I had to check).  Yahoo once got an offer to purchase it for $47 billion from Microsoft.  Eight years later, which was chock full of bad management, it was purchased by Verizon for 10% of that.  Yahoo used to be HUGE.  Now it's basically nothing.  I can see that happening if this poor management continues and people take their worthless thoughts elsewhere. 

It is hysterical to see a Yahoo email address.  Even better is coming across an AOL email address.  You just start assuming things about people that still have them.

• Like 2

Just now, Spaceman Spiff said:

It is hysterical to see a Yahoo email address.  Even better is coming across an AOL email address.  You just start assuming things about people that still have them.

Absolutely.  In the rare instances I've seen job applications at my firm with Yahoo emails, they get discarded without further inquiry. Never seen an AOL one. 

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I kinda feel that way about hotmail emails as well. And as a business that collects this info, it’s really much higher than you’d like to think.

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

The dumbing down of our society's ability to communicate to 280 characters and gunning for mic drops and punchlines is so invaluable, it would just have to rank right up there with the ability to have water pouring from a faucet or the heat coming on in the house in December.  

You ever see how people react when this place goes down? lol...We swear it's because some huge news just dropped or Snyder sold the team or Tom Brady just signed here...the reality is more like one of the mods tripped over the extension cord and unplugged something.

Social media is a massive part of international life now. And for good reason...probably 98% of all news we consume originated on Twitter. We follow up on traditional news outlets but are exposed to it--directly or indirectly--via twitter.

• Haha 2

17 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

My mom still has one, which makes me laugh, but she's almost 80 and there is no point in changing that. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

You ever see how people react when this place goes down? lol...We swear it's because some huge news just dropped or Snyder sold the team or Tom Brady just signed here...the reality is more like one of the mods tripped over the extension cord and unplugged something.

Social media is a massive part of international life now. And for good reason...probably 98% of all news we consume originated on Twitter. We follow up on traditional news outlets but are exposed to it--directly or indirectly--via twitter.

When this place goes down (and it will) it’ll be sad. I hope there will be a way for everyone to reconvene somewhere else. 

At the same time, I shudder to think how much time I could have aimed towards things in life that actually MATTER, like friends, family, work, etc and if that time would have been better we’ll spent instead of making fun of @TradeTheBeal!  

Same with Twitter. Major distraction and a time suck. I’ll miss this place and Twitter but I’m probably better off without either in the long run. 

• Like 1

Does Hotmail even exist anymore?  I thought they discontinued it. I had a hotmail account until 2010. Microsoft emails me occasionally about security breaches, which i must ignore because (1) I cant even access that account anymore and (2) its so old, there isnt anything in there that a hacker could use. 

Fwiw I use my Yahoo email solely for fantasy sports with Yahoo and for marketing emails (sales, surveys, etc).

Keeps my Gmail inbox mostly clean that way. 

6 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Does Hotmail even exist anymore?  I thought they discontinued it. I had a hotmail account until 2010. Microsoft emails me occasionally about security breaches, which i must ignore because (1) I cant even access that account anymore and (2) its so old, there isnt anything in there that a hacker could use. 

They became outlook live. Users had the option to keep their old Hotmail address or convert it over. 

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

When this place goes down (and it will) it’ll be sad. I hope there will be a way for everyone to reconvene somewhere else. 

At the same time, I shudder to think how much time I could have aimed towards things in life that actually MATTER, like friends, family, work, etc and if that time would have been better we’ll spent instead of making fun of @TradeTheBeal!  

Same with Twitter. Major distraction and a time suck. I’ll miss this place and Twitter but I’m probably better off without either in the long run. 

At the same time, though, a lot of people suffering through hurricane Ian were helped thanks to Twitter and other social media outlets, that never would have received assistance otherwise. And there have been more than a few politicians whose transgressions were exposed via Twitter and lead to their leaving office or dropping out of races. Twitter is like the national receipts archive lol...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mistertim said:

Not sure why some people think that "Twitter is going down in flames" means their datacenter servers and network underlay will suddenly **** the bed immediately. It will take a little while for that to happen most likely, as I'm guessing they're well designed with plenty of redundancy. The problem is that when it does happen, there will literally be nobody to fix it.

It also means that there's likely nobody to manage regular patching, etc. which means potential new bugs and security vulnerabilities in the stack won't be addressed.

I can't speak for everyone but for me, it was simply being too ****ing stupid to understand how things work.  Thanks to @tshile for explaining it.

• Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

My mom still has her old AOL email. And I tell her all the time to use the gmail one I created for her. But she won’t let it go. I don’t know how to help her anymore 🥺

• Haha 1