Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

1 minute ago, China said:

Welcoming back Ligma?  As in Ligma Balls?

Pranksters who pretended to be fired Twitter employees

https://www.theverge.com/2022/10/28/23428775/twitter-fake-employee-layoff-rahul-ligma-elon-musk

There are plenty of problems with what these two men say to reporters. The most glaring is that one man identifies himself as a software engineer named “Rahul Ligma.” The Verge has confirmed that name does not exist in Twitter’s Slack or email system. There is also no evidence that the employee exists on LinkedIn.  “Ligma” is, of course, also an internet hoax designed to elicit the response “lick my balls” from people who are in on the joke. That didn’t stop multiple outlets, including CNBC and Bloomberg, from running headlines Friday saying that laid-off Twitter employees were leaving the building carrying boxes.

• Haha 2

I caught a rerun of Big Bang Theory not too long ago that had Elon in it. It was a special Thanksgiving episode and he was supposedly volunteering in a soup kitchen.

I just laughed and laughed and laughed at the implication of Elon not only mingling among the poors, but actually serving them. Yeah right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Northwestern is waiving all academic requirements for tech sector workers that were recently laid off, to enter their masters in business administration program. If I was a twitter employee, looking at musks threat to lay you off with 3 months severance if you don’t work over 40 hours in the office, I’d absolutely take that severance, go get an MBA from a prestigious university, and have a resume that includes working at twitter, and laugh all the way

Edited by tshile
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, The Evil Genius said:

Isn't Northwestern like 40-50k+ a year for Grad school though?

If you’re a tech worker at twitter you can figure it out. 

Esp with all the money you should have been a saving WFH. 

I mean my wife entered the #1 ranked doctorate program for her field. 

when you have options like that you figure it out. 

@The Evil Genius

https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/programs/full-time-mba/tuition-financial-aid.aspx

😮

you were off by a factor of 3

i maintain if you reach the ability to do such a thing - you figure it out. 

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, tshile said:

That’s what smart business people do right?

fire people who criticize their ideas

The moments that really moved our software product forward were when a senior dev walked out of a meeting saying " this idea is bull****". Sometimes they were right, and sometimes they changed their mind. 

2 hours ago, tshile said:

If you’re a tech worker at twitter you can figure it out. 

Esp with all the money you should have been a saving WFH. 

I mean my wife entered the #1 ranked doctorate program for her field. 

when you have options like that you figure it out. 

@The Evil Genius

https://www.kellogg.northwestern.edu/programs/full-time-mba/tuition-financial-aid.aspx

😮

you were off by a factor of 3

i maintain if you reach the ability to do such a thing - you figure it out. 

In general I agree investing in education is a good idea, but if you are already rolling in the deep so that 50/k a year isn’t that big a deal why would you go back to school when you can be earning $100k plus. Effectively you’d be spending 300K for two years to get one of the most commonly achieved masters degree….

Edited by CousinsCowgirl84

2 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

In general I agree investing in education is a good idea, but if you are already rolling in the deep so that 50/k a year isn’t that big a deal why would you go back to school when you can be earning $100k plus. Effectively you’d be spending 300K for two years to get one of the most commonly achieved masters degree….

It also depends on what you want to do with your life. If you have no marketable skills, an MBA from a very prestigious school that allows you to go into management consulting is a great idea, provided you don't mind the hours and travel.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

12 minutes ago, CousinsCowgirl84 said:

because the money you make in a year or two will cover the debt you took on, and then you have the rest of your life to enjoy a different trajectory. 

If you’re a top SRE at twitter looking at moving to another tech company you’re in an elite class already. You’re probably in the neighborhood of 300-500k/year in total compensation. You probably also love your work. So an MBA doesn’t make sense, regardless of cost. 

But if you’re not, If you’ve capped out at 120-160k a year. And you’re looking at staying on board and hoping Musk doesn’t just randomly fire you. And you’re not necessarily in love with your career. And having an MBA from a place like Northwestern gets you into a line of work you’d enjoy… then the debt load you take on is just a formality. 

Now if you’re gonna screw around and just get through the program and hope you get something along the way - then that’s dumb. 

But if you’re the type that would rock that out and learn a lot, take advantage of the people you find yourself surrounded by, and be someone that graduates with the knowledge that makes you a very attractive candidate for the top paying jobs… yeah, that’s a no brainer. 

I went through it with myself and now my wife. Yes. It’s expensive. But she’s going to cover all her costs in 1 year of the new job she’ll get once she’s done. my situation was different but I tried and realized early on I couldn’t handle my life situation and the program. 

it’s not for everyone.  But for the people it is for, it’s a no brainer 

• Like 1