Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

6 minutes ago, mistertim said:

This sort of idiocy by a sociopathic dolt who believes he's smarter than everyone else sounds vaguely familiar...

Has anyone ever actually seen Dan Snyder and Elon Musk in the same room together?

No but they deserve each other. Throw trump in with them on a space-x rocket to Mars and I can finally get some sleep. It's hard work making fun of three buffoons all the time. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

Elon Musk is enrolling all twitter employees in the Jelly of the Month club instead of giving them Christmas bonuses...facts!

You Got It Wink GIF by Johnny Slicks

I think a Jelly of the Month would be better than any bonuses Twitter will be paying out for the foreseeable future.

14 minutes ago, CobraCommander said:

No but they deserve each other. Throw trump in with them on a space-x rocket to Mars and I can finally get some sleep. It's hard work making fun of three buffoons all the time. 

Yeah Snyder and Trump are the two people Musk reminds me most of at the moment.

It's amazing just how bad one person can be at this, after decades of ostensibly being a "brilliant" businessman.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, The Sisko said:

Let me see if I’ve got this right. Dude buys a company, then aside from royally screwing it up, proceeds to roll up his sleeves and starts personally trying to “fix” things. I don’t think I’ve ever seen an owner or CEO jump into daily customer-facing business operations and start acting as the de-facto customer service department. This is like being a fly on the wall at the Commodes’. Unlike Farquaad though, the public display of Elon’s incompetence and stupidity isn’t limited to seventeen days a year and only noticed by a small fan community. 

I just don’t think he really gives a ****. I think he finds Twitter interesting, something to **** around with but I don’t think he’s taking it entirely 100% seriously. I mean, some of his tweets are absolutely hysterical and troll-worthy. 

Contrast that to the people who think this is a downfall of a key pillar to society (the very people he’s trolling) and the spectacle is absolutely fantastic. I’m totally with @Momma There Goes That Man, this has been the funniest week ever. 

But I think what a lot of people aren’t realizing is that Musk is an engineer at heart. We can banter back and forth about how much he’s actually invented vs what he’s been given credit for, that’s fine. Steve Jobs could be viewed similarly. Jobs was a fantastic pitchman and an idea guy, not a wrench turner but he gets credit for practically everything. 

But I digress. I believe in Musk’s world, there’s a lot of ****ing around and experimenting on things before they’re seen in public. And I think that’s what’s happening here with his purchase of Twitter but a lot of people don’t know how to handle it. 

Musk was pretty pivotal in the software development of PayPal, so watching him break nearly every rule known man concerning production code changes screams "no ****s given".

He's acting like even if his decisions hurt people's livelihoods he's already directing his accountants to soften the blow from too negatively impacting his richest man in the world rankings, he won't go broke if Twitter does, no fear of that at all it seems.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I believe in Musk’s world, there’s a lot of ****ing around and experimenting on things before they’re seen in public. And I think that’s what’s happening here with his purchase of Twitter but a lot of people don’t know how to handle it. 

I think his experimenting and ****ing around IS being seen in public.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

Musk was pretty pivotal in the software development of PayPal, so watching him break nearly every rule known man concerning production code changes screams "no ****s given".

He's acting like even if his decisions hurt people's livelihoods he's already directing his accountants to soften the blow from too negatively impacting his richest man in the world rankings, he won't go broke if Twitter does, no fear of that at all it seems.

Max Levchin was the main software architect behind Paypal. Musk didn't do much, if any, coding there from what I understand.

His main coding was his first company, Zip2. But once Zip2 expanded and hired professional software engineers, they mostly rewrote what Musk had done since he was self taught and his code was too bloated to do the new things they wanted.

Zip2 was sold and he invested the money from that sale in a new company called x.com, but they were well financed and hired professional coders. I think Musk was mostly on the business end of things (IIRC there was actually a power struggle for CEO between him and another guy for a while.)

Then x.com merged with Confinity, which was basically Paypal and had already been written by Levchin.

He probably still knows some software engineering, but I'd be shocked if he actually deployed any production code in the last 20 years.

Edited by mistertim
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1

30 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Max Levchin was the main software architect behind Paypal. Musk didn't do much, if any, coding there from what I understand.

His main coding was his first company, Zip2. But once Zip2 expanded and hired professional software engineers, they mostly rewrote what Musk had done since he was self taught and his code was too bloated to do the new things they wanted.

Zip2 was sold and he invested the money from that sale in a new company called x.com, but they were well financed and hired professional coders. I think Musk was mostly on the business end of things (IIRC there was actually a power struggle for CEO between him and another guy for a while.)

Then x.com merged with Confinity, which was basically Paypal and had already been written by Levchin.

He probably still knows some software engineering, but I'd be shocked if he actually deployed any production code in the last 20 years.

The better way to describe Elon is that he is a product manager at heart.

1 hour ago, mistertim said:

The "doing his code better" part especially makes a lot of sense.

Even his wiki page shows his involvement down the line with companies you mentioned showed his involvement was more as a CEO who didn't know what he was doing.  One example I did hear of before I made my post was trying to push his vision for the software so hard from the top it would force important people to resign, and eventually replace him in order to get what we know PayPal to be today.

He probably oversees from a high level some of the agile functions at Tesla and SpaceX, him doing coding himself isn't a requirement for giving final approvals for code into production.  

What it looks like now is someone who learned to back off getting involved in the agile process himself to point of holding them back with Tesla and SpaceX (those are too much his babies to be completely hands off, see that in documentaries about it).  Now he's all up in it to prove points, doubling down on the kinds of mistakes he got replaced for as CEO in his younger years.

It's actually kinda scary how similar his early days lack or really being good and getting rich anyway story is to say Dan Snyder the more you think about it. He made of money of mergers and sales of companies that kept giving him a chance to be deeply involved and finally jus had to push him out. At some point he pulled back meddling too much with later companies, what we seeing now with Twitter reminds me of something early 2000s Snyder would do.

It begs the question of if this is what it looks like Musk is too involved in a company, how involved was he in the companies like Tesla and SpaceX?

Edited by Renegade7
  • Thumb up 1

42 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

The "doing his code better" part especially makes a lot of sense.

Even his wiki page shows his involvement down the line with companies you mentioned showed his involvement was more as a CEO who didn't know what he was doing.  One example I did hear of before I made my post was trying to push his vision for the software so hard from the top it would force important people to resign, and eventually replace him in order to get what we know PayPal to be today.

He probably oversees from a high level some of the agile functions at Tesla and SpaceX, him doing coding himself isn't a requirement for giving final approvals for code into production.  

What it looks like now is someone who learned to back off getting involved in the agile process himself to point of holding them back with Tesla and SpaceX (those are too much his babies to be completely hands off, see that in documentaries about it).  Now he's all up in it to prove points, doubling down on the kinds of mistakes he got replaced for as CEO in his younger years.

It's actually kinda scary how similar his early days lack or really being good and getting rich anyway story is day Dan Snyder the more you think about it. He made of money of mergers and sales of companies that kept giving him a chance to be deeply involved and finally jus had to push him out. At some point he pulled back meddling too much with later companies, what we seeing now with Twitter reminds me of something early 2000s Snyder would do.

It begs the question of if this is what it looks like Musk is too involved in a company, how involved was he in the companies like Tesla and SpaceX?

Yeah it seems like everything he's doing recently is mostly driven by emotion and, as you mentioned, trying to prove points, vs anything even remotely resembling sound business tactics.

I think like @method manmentioned above, it might be better to think of Musk as a product manager vs an engineer. He'll come up with a high level idea and set the end vision, but he won't be the one who actually designs it, builds it, codes it, etc.

And yeah, I definitely get Dan Snyder vibes from him nowadays. To me right now it's like if you somehow took Snyder's almost unrivaled Dunning-Kruger tendencies and then combined it with the obnoxious and juvenile trolling of Trump. (and added some IQ points...he may do some dumb ****, but he's definitely way smarter than either of those guys)

As far as things at SpaceX, etc...IIRC it may have been @Jabbyrwockwho mentioned that most scientists he's knows regard Musk as sort of a useful idiot. I could imagine it being a situation where they let him play around and think he's doing stuff, but then when he leaves the room the real work starts. I imagine there's a fair amount of time spent in making Musk think their ideas and designs are actually his before he'll approve them.

Elon at SpaceX HQ:

ac2d0780-c721-4ff0-a6f0-97f52eab9d9d.__CR0,0,970,600_PT0_SX970_V1___.jpg

Edited by mistertim
  • Thumb up 1

Elon Musk braces for $56 billion battle with heavy metal drummer

Elon Musk has taken on Detroit's automakers, short-sellers and securities regulators. Next week, the Tesla chief executive is set to square off in court against an unlikely foe - a thrash metal drummer who hopes to strip Musk of his $56 billion pay.

The trial will pit the world's richest person against one of the electric carmaker's smallest investors, Richard Tornetta, who held just nine shares when he sued in 2018.

Tornetta sued Musk and the Tesla board on behalf of the company in what is known as a shareholder derivative lawsuit. If successful, Musk's 2018 package of stock grants will be rescinded, benefiting Tesla. Tornetta is not seeking damages for himself.

Historically, cases brought by investors with a near-meaningless economic stake in the litigation have been criticized by business groups as "nuisance suits." Such lawsuits often end quickly in a non-monetary settlement and a payment to the attorneys representing the plaintiff.

"This case looks different," said Jessica Erickson, a professor at University of Richmond School of Law who has specialized in shareholder litigation.

Tornetta's case survived a motion to dismiss in 2019 and is heading to a week-long trial beginning on Monday in Wilmington, Delaware that will feature live testimony from Musk, who last month bought Twitter for $44 billion.

The pay package was widely criticized and California's teachers retirement system known as CalSTRS was among the investors who voted against it.

Legal experts said such large shareholders are unlikely to sue because it might invite blowback from Musk and cut off access to management.

CalSTRS declined to comment.

Click on the link for the full article