Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Unofficial "Elon Musk trying to "Save Everyone" from Themselves (except his Step-Sister)" Thread...

Renegade7

7 minutes ago, Llevron said:

My mom still has her old AOL email. And I tell her all the time to use the gmail one I created for her. But she won’t let it go. I don’t know how to help her anymore 🥺

My Mom at one point had three different Facebook accounts because she kept losing or forgetting her password then getting locked out while also feeling bad she kept constantly asking me for tech help so didn't tell me until I figured it out (haven't had Facebook in long time so took a while).

If folks don't want to keep up with what's out there or in some places can't, no need to make them. My Mom has a consumer cellular flip phone, not a smart phone, she jus can't keep up, it's fine, she doesn't need to, imo, she's been on disability for at least 20 years now.

14 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

I use Yahoo as my primary email address.  What do you assume about me?

You're over 50 years old, just got off dial-up internet like 3 years ago, still think Zubaz pants are cool, tuck your t-shirt into your jeans with a braided leather belt and have an affinity for mullets.

52 minutes ago, Califan007 The Constipated said:

At the same time, though, a lot of people suffering through hurricane Ian were helped thanks to Twitter and other social media outlets, that never would have received assistance otherwise. And there have been more than a few politicians whose transgressions were exposed via Twitter and lead to their leaving office or dropping out of races. Twitter is like the national receipts archive lol...

Fair points that shouldn't be ignored.

Edited by Spaceman Spiff
  • Like 1
  • Haha 6

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

You're over 50 years old, just got off dial-up internet like 3 years ago, still think Zubaz pants are cool, tuck your t-shirt into your jeans with a braided leather belt and have an affinity for mullets.

Would revise this to 60, and add that you likely wear cargo shorts with sneakers and white ankle-high socks, and that you say "let's rock and roll" every time you are ready to leave a restaurant. 

Edited by PleaseBlitz
  • Haha 6

5 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Fair points that shouldn't be ignored.

1 for 5.

Tell me, what do you use email for that can’t be done with an older address?  What advantage does gmail provide?

3 minutes ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Would revise this to 60, and add that you likely wear cargo shorts with sneakers and white ankle-high socks, and that you say "let's rock and roll" every time you are ready to leave a restaurant. 

You admit that your firm practices age discrimination.  Reported.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ball Security said:

1 for 5.

Tell me, what do you use email for that can’t be done with an older address?  What advantage does gmail provide?

Hell if I know, I haven't had a Yahoo email address since Bush II was in office.  I do believe gmail has better security which should be a reason enough to use it.  That, and it's got Google behind it, not Yahoo...so immediately you can assume that there are better techs/engineers working behind the scenes.  

I'm assuming when you want to search for something on the internet you're not going to Yahoo to do it.  

4 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Hell if I know, I haven't had a Yahoo email address since Bush II was in office.  I do believe gmail has better security which should be a reason enough to use it.  That, and it's got Google behind it, not Yahoo...so immediately you can assume that there are better techs/engineers working behind the scenes.  

I'm assuming when you want to search for something on the internet you're not going to Yahoo to do it.  

Not when I have Bing!

No, I use google for searches.  Never felt the need to switch to gmail.  Don’t feel like I’ve been missing anything these past 20 years.  I don’t have much of a need for personal email.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Hell if I know, I haven't had a Yahoo email address since Bush II was in office. 

I have a Yahoo email address. 

It thinks my first name is "Fake" and my last name is "Name". And every time I deal with a business that won't do business with me without an email address, that's the one I give them. Because I know in advance they're going to sign me up for spam. (Even when I uncheck the pre-checked "sign me up for spam" box.)

• Like 1

On 11/17/2022 at 12:03 PM, The Evil Genius said:

21 hours ago, Corcaigh said:

Unless they've just come from their job that involves wearing safety goggles their kids won't be excelling at anything that involves good vision.

Assuming Musk and these folks are indicative of the movement, if anything goes wrong with the ozone layer, their progeny are looking at a one way trip to being Morelocks.

14 hours ago, China said:

Identically?

The best Twitter alternatives

Which of these is identical?

Counter.Social is not even remotely equivalent to Twitter. They actually care about privacy and preventing misinformation. They do seem to be enamored of a butt ugly user interface though.

2 hours ago, PleaseBlitz said:

Does Hotmail even exist anymore?

Yes as a legacy product. It was rolled into the outlook.com system. 

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

My mom still has her old AOL email. And I tell her all the time to use the gmail one I created for her. But she won’t let it go. I don’t know how to help her anymore 🥺

Verizon purchased AOL email and rolled it into their system. The email addresses still work but it’s Verizon’s email system. 

2 hours ago, Llevron said:

I still use AOL mail. I use it for junk email and deals on streaming services. 🤓

I probably use my aol account more than my Gmail. Mainly because everyone wants you to provide an email address just to do basic **** like pay a water bill. So I give that one out to the jabronis. 

12 minutes ago, Captain Wiggles said:

I still use AOL mail. I use it for junk email and deals on streaming services. 🤓

I probably use my aol account more than my Gmail. Mainly because everyone wants you to provide an email address just to do basic **** like pay a water bill. So I give that one out to the jabronis. 

I use my wife's gmail account for that bull****. :)

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, Fergasun said:

I don't use Twitter... but how poorly designed and developed is a website/"internet app" if it requires many people to maintain and run?  

picking this one but there’s a few and sorry I’m not tagging everyone. 

Websites/apps just get and push data.  Nothing more. They display it on the screen however they want. But other than clicking a button to change what’s on the screen, they’re just get/push ing data. 

which is why website and app development are the most boring jobs in the world. And they both are dominated by overseas cheap labor from other countries.

the real effort, the real engineering, the real costs:

- physical data centers that house this (and many outsource this to Amazon, Microsoft, or google it any other number of platforms)

- the data modeling. This is its own thing. Relating users to posts, likes to posts, generating timelines, etc. the larger the size of data the harder it gets to make it work fast with millions of concurrent connections 

- the actual architecture of the system. The think that the app/website talks to to get/receive data to display. And everything else that comes with it. This is where SRE’s live and twitter should have had among the best in the industry, and they’re paid every well. These are the people that run the system such that you don’t get errors from request timeouts, that notifications can be delivered on time, etc. 

- security - they’re a huge target and a very complex system. Enough said. 

without any actual knowledge I’m going to guess Twitter is actually designed very well and on par with Netflix, hulu, Facebook, or any other content provider that has a huge global audience. If they weren’t, we’d have tons of problems. When you read SRE books where they speak with the people running these departments at Netflix, for example, they’ll tell you they’d rather lose 10k in a hosting fee screwup for the day than have one user get an error. They very much value making sure the service works when you go to use it - if it doesn’t they lose customers. And eventually it builds a reputation. 

reducing twitter to a website/app would be like reducing an aircraft carrier to a boat. 

there’s just a ton of **** going on to make a very complex system work without issues. A ton. 

and no you can’t afford to lose 50% of your engineers, presumably the best and brightest with the best options being the first to bail, with a new reputation of being a **** place to work with no job security, and just be OK. 

if musk doesn’t fix this he’s going to have paid 44 billion for a bunch of useless source code and scrap metal. 

there’s a reason high paying tech jobs like those are such cushy gigs. At a certain point you can’t just throw more money at a person for a position, cause the other companies can just do the same and it stops making sense. You have to throw out a series of perks to make it attractive to work. For these people it’s not discussed as “pay” in their circles - it’s total compensation package (TCP.) stock optioned, unlimited time off, work your own hours, badass healthcare, lots of free equipment, and work from where ever, etc. 

It’s not unusual for a highly paid SRE to make something like 225k/year but have a total compensation valued at 400k/year (for example)

and musk came in and started ripping away non-salary perks. 

and those people have no problem immediately saying “**** you” and going somewhere else. And if reports are to be believed - that’s exactly what we’re seeing. 

• Like 1

Thread Reader :I've seen a lot of people asking "why does everyone think Twitter is doomed?"

As an SRE and sysadmin with 10+ years of industry experience, I wanted to write up a few scenarios that are real threats to the integrity of the bird site over the coming weeks. 
For context, I have seen some variant of every one of these problems pose a serious threat to a billion-user application. I've even caused a couple of the more technical ones. I've been involved with triaging or fixing even more. 

1) Random hard drive fills up. You have no idea how common it is for a single hosed box to cause cascading failures across systems, even well-engineered fault-tolerant ones with active maintenance. Where's the box? What's filling it up? Who will figure that out? 

2) Physical issue with the network takes down a DC. I gather Twitter is primarily on-prem, and I've seen what happens when a tree knocks out a critical fiber line during a big news event. 

Click on the link for the full list

• Thumb up 2

2 hours ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

I have gmail and yahoo email accounts...does that make me the old guy who wears young man shirts and still goes to the club? lol...

• Haha 2

@China’s article above is the more nitty gritty of what I was trying to explain. 

SRE is the most high demand thing out there. And unlike CyberSecurity it’s not just a buzz word where dopes have no problem passing a certificate and get a tedious job like running someone else’s scripts, looking for the sections in the report in red, and forwarding them on saying “you have to fix these”

(seriously most cyber security people are clowns)

you have to know your **** to get into a good sre gig (and tons of places are posting sre positions that are not sre roles at all…)

and you won’t last long if you somehow pass through the interview but can’t actually do the work. You make too much and are too important to be incompetent. 

it’s what I was chasing before I had my new sweet gig drop in my lap out of the blue. Had built an entire home lab for demo purposes and was going on interviews. The pay and perks are outrageous and if you’re good and land with a good team the job isn’t even hard at all.