Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wentz Traded to Washington for 2 3rd Rounders per Bleacher Report

Reaper Skins

I got no issue w/ what he said. He was talking to a bunch of kids and explained how to deal with change and adversity, and that is exactly what a trade to a new team demands.

@FootballZombie (mod edit religious content--no ban but read rule 6---report inappropriate content per rule, do not extend the original rule violation by adding to it---no ban)

If we had video I think it would be looked at differently. People on here feel like he is slumped over the mic bemoaning his life.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

Ugggghh.........just stop with Watson, it's not happening people

Even if it did it would absolutely trigger a punitive response from the league that Bruce Arians would never face 

I am trying to get over my initial pissy response to this acquisition, it still comes down to whether or not I have faith in Ron, not Wentz

We do need Curtis Samuel to come back (and stay) healthy, and get CW throwing to Logan Thomas ASAP to get them in sync

I'd look at beefing up O line depth as well, but seriously, I want to believe we are better off

Now prove it to me

• Like 2

On February 6, 2018, two days after the Eagles' victory in Super Bowl LII, Wentz announced that he and his girlfriend, Madison Oberg, were engaged.[118] On July 16, 2018, Wentz and Oberg were married in Bucks County, Pennsylvania.[119] The couple have two daughters together born in April 2020 and November 2021.[120][121] Wentz owned a farmhouse in Woodstown, New Jersey with 11 acres, but put it up for sale after being traded to the Colts.[122][123] The family now lives on the northside of Indianapolis.[124]

Wentz is a man with a wife and 2 kids, likely moving for the third time in 3 seasons. After being on top of the world a few seasons ago with a Super Bowl ring, he's been kicked to the curb twice in a row. Moving his family for soon to be the third time in 3 years is something that I'd imagine is hard to do after expecting twice that he was going to be the franchise QB for years.

If he keeps up with social media, he'll likely know that fans are looking at his deal as a 1 year rental. 4 teams in 4 years if things don't work out? No matter how big an ego, it's got to rock him pretty hard to go from Super Bowl champion to getting told he's told he's not wanted. Some people laugh and shrug it off like Fitzpatrick. If it keeps happening for Wentz, maybe he'll get used to it too. Maybe even grow out a Fitzbeard.

Edited by NickyJ
  • Like 1

I read Wentz's comments differently.  It's message is more about not questioning/complaining  being traded by the Colts after 1 year, and instead simply accepting that in the overall scheme of things, these challenging developments in his life's destiny are just part of God's plan for him.  It's a bit of an evangelical message because it's being delivered to an evangelical audience.

And the other main theme he was trying to express is one shouldn't grumble or brood over the challenges occurring in one's life-path, rather you keep doing the best you can, while keeping true to yourself and the moral code (in his case, the Christian code) that guides your time on earth.

This has to be a difficult time for Wentz, being traded for the 2nd time in two years,  having to uproot himself and his family again and being the subject (target) of every media-caster, blogger,  message-board and tweet-forum pumping out their views about Wentz's shortcomings and about why he shouldn't be starting anywhere.  (And then there's always that fact how Wentz is such an easy target to criticize ---for his evangelical views, his anti vaccine views, and the fact that it was Washington that traded for him.)

I don't think Wentz was complaining about  coming to Washington, rather he was simply expressing what sustains him through the emotional challenge of being rejected by two teams in two years.  I wouldn't be surprised if once the trade is official in NFL eyes, and he can comment, Wentz will have a very positive message about his opportunity to QB for Washington. 

Edited by Wyvern
  • Like 5

15 hours ago, Dr. Do Itch Big said:

Call me pessimistic but I think this Wentz move ends up being like McNabb. 

15 hours ago, OMacAttack said:

You're pessimistic.

Better results than McNugget no doubt in my mind.

The only acceptable monikers are McNugget and McChunky

• Thumb up 1

Y'all need to chill over that quote, where he's talking to a bunch of kids.  Look at the way his career has turned out - do you think that's what he expected?

Whether you blame him or not, he's clearly hearing the criticism and leaning into his faith because of it.  You don't have to agree, but don't be a dick.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Totally unnecessary to bash the guy based on his beliefs. He’s by all accounts been an extremely great leader in his communities, Joe Gibbs could literally have written those same words.

ain’t the place for your Christian bashing, I don’t come here for that ****

I love the Christians. You people make a hellacious chicken sandwich.

• Haha 2
  • Thumb down 1
  • Thumb up 1

22 minutes ago, DiscoBob said:

The only acceptable monikers are McNugget and McChunky

I always thought Worm Burner was the best. Dude really did look like he was just spiking em 5 yards short of everyone by the time he got here. He missed low as much as Heinicke misses high.

Should call him Hospital Ball. Kinda has a ring to it.

Edited by SpacePenguin
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

mod edit quote of rule violation

(mod edit religious content---report inappropriate content per rule, do not extend the original rule violation by adding to it---one week ban for rule 6 & 18 violation)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 2

Setting aside the religion stuff, because it doesn’t belong here—the dude clearly feels he’s being tested bc he’s been traded from organizations he thought at some point would be his forever home twice in two years. Regardless of how things soured, that’s still a shock when you’ve almost been on top of the sports world in the past. I don’t think it’s commentary about Washington specifically at all but talking to a bunch of kids in a religious school from a religious perspective about things not going according to plan after the downslope he’s been on since 2017-2018. I would guess in the first days of a trade (that isn’t pushed for by the player) the mind lingers on what went wrong in the previous destination before it even has a chance to marinate in ideas about the future. I would guess there’s a weird mourning period, extended in this instance bc the trade isn’t official and he couldn’t just immediately be flown to meet everyone and take it all in. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 3

23 hours ago, Burgold said:

@Inigo Montoya mod edit quote of rule violation (religious comment)--this is another rule 6 violation, don't do it again :) 

Washington then vs Washington now, I thought he spoke of his bankruptcy in a similar way to this. poor wentz knows this is where QBs and careers go to die, bankruptcy = landing in Washington 😂 

regardless, his comments don’t scare me. Sounds like a man who was traded for the 2nd time in 12 months 

• Like 1

Seems like a non-issue to me.  He most likely was scheduled to visit the school and give a talk to the kids long before the trade happened.  He could have canceled on the kids, but he honored his obligation.  What's he supposed to do, tell a bunch of Indiana school kids that he's happy to get the hell out of there?  No, he handled it as best he could, talked about accepting change in life and dealing with things that are out of your control.  I think the context of where he was and who he was talking to needs to be considered, rather than using this as yet another "sky is falling" scenario to panic about.  These are not the droids you're looking for.  Move along.

Edited by Number 44
  • Like 5

Gentlemen, & I use that term loosely... :) 

Some of you may want to go take a refresher on this:

As @Jumbo will eventually show up & smack you upside the head. :chair:

My advice would be to go edit your religious comments out before he sees this. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Thumb up 1

13 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

What makes you think Frank Reich tried to "fix it" to make him better at what he's really not good at? I need to hear more on this....Frank Reich knows Wentz and his game better than anyone in the NFL. Please explain where you got this thought from. 

There was one of the Colt beat guys, I think the one from the Athletic, who said that Reich got so concerned with turnovers this year coming off of Wentz's disastrous 2020 season, he shrunk the playbook and tried to protect Wentz, and leaned to the extreme on the running game.  Which, in fairness, Indy can do because they have either the best or second best running game in the league.

Overall, his point was Reich wanted Wentz to become more of a game manager this year than he had in the past because they had a really good defense and a really good running game.

And my point is that doesn't actually play to Wentz's strengths. And by becoming overly conservative, they actually lost the upside of what Wentz can do well, and accentuated what he doesn't do well.  (And I'll point out, from a production perspective that still wasn't a disaster.  He had the 9th highest QBR in the league, 11th highest passer rating, 27th TDs (10th) and 7 INTs.) But I think if they had let him be a bit more of himself, they could have had better overall production.  

A long time ago, we had a QB that was actually fairly similar in Mark Rypien.  Coach Joe has come out and said he really struggled with the short/underneath stuff.  But "he could really hit the deep one."  So they structured their entire offense around what Ryp could do well.

That's all I'm saying.  Wentz is most effective when he's going down the field.  He's still elusive in the pocket (though not as much as he was before his knee and back injuries) and he still has a great deep ball.  So use those.  Don't try and force him into a bunch of quick-game WCO concepts which he has struggled with more.  

Sometimes coaches get lost a bit in the common thinking of "we have to protect the ball at all costs."  And I could see why Reicht would go that way given he has a good defense and a great running game.

We don't have either.  So don't worry as much about the turnovers and go for it.  If it fails, it will fail spectacularly.  The two coaches who really have sortof gone against that grain are Bruce Airians and Mike Martz.  They're willing to risk a little more in the turnover department to get more big plays and stretch the defense. 

I'm just tired of trying to win games 17-15.  Run the hell out of the ball, play conservatively, limit your mistakes, and hope like hell you're going to hang on for a 2-3 point win at the gun.  You have a QB who excels at stretching the field. You have several receivers who have a ton of speed.  Use that as much as possible and see what happens.  If it fails, we're going to be looking at a high draft pick and a new QB again next year anyway, so what do you have to lose?

• Like 6
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

And Turner could only use 40% of the playbook with Haskins, Smith, Heinicke and Allen? Do you have a source on this? 

Haskins knew about 8 plays in the playbook. His lack of understanding of the playbook got him benched. Smith had one leg and couldn't move. Allen just isn't very good.  And TH doesn't have he arm strength to run a full NFL offense.  Ron has said if Fitz hadn't gotten hurt, they would have been able to run more of the playbook to stretch the field and throw into tight windows. I was challenged to go find that quote, and I'm just not going to.  @Skinsinparadise confirmed he heard it too.  It was on one of the multiple Ron interviews after the season when he was talking about QBs.  The thing is, he was on every radio show and every podcast, so I don't know which one it was.  But I'm not making it up, he said it.  

And I think you read it wrong, what I have been saying for ages is turner couldn't use 40% of his playbook.  That might be a exaggeration, but look at the way they attacked defenses down the stretch: it was all running on first down, the same set of about 15 pass concepts which featured a lot of dump-offs to the back and quick slants, very few tight window throws, and deep shots only when they really needed them.  And after the bye, they actually eliminated some things from the game plan which were there in the early part of the season.  They previously used a few different "cover-2 busters," targeting the "honey hole" (between the up CB and the closing deep safety, and seam routes where an inside guy blows by the dropping MLB, and the QB has to drop the ball in over the LB but in front of the safety.  Those 2 concepts are league wide, everybody uses them.  But you need a big arm to drive the ball into the "honey hole" or it will get broken up or picked off by the closing safety.  They ran it a bunch early.  They essentially stopped after the bye, and the few times they did, it wasn't successful.  They also tried the seam route, and that almost never worked, and they just stopped using it altogether.  

If you know what you're looking at when you watch play design and play calling a little bit, you can tell what they're doing and what they're not doing. I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, I know what I know by watching some of the all-22 and listening to Cooley for years break down film, and then going back and watch the all-22 to see what he was talking about.  Over the years, I've gotten reasonably descent with at least understanding what the offense is trying to do, and how they are trying to attack the defense. Am I always right?  Probably not.   I mean, nobody really knows because the team doesn't exactly publish what they are doing.  But if you've studied it a bit, even as a lay-person, you can pick up on what's going on.  

Wentz, for all his faults, will allow them to run anything they want to.  I have no idea if it will be successful.  Keim even came out in his post-Wentz pod and said something to the effect "they know what they're getting, the good and bad, but they believe he will allow them to open up the playbook which they haven't been able to do."  (If you are familiar with Keim's reporting, you can hear him saying that as you read it.) 

Edited by Voice_of_Reason
  • Like 1

Mods, I ask that you allow this one-time post since others have given their thoughts and ideas on what Carson was trying to imply to the kids in Indy, he was talking to them.

Maybe I can try and clarify what Carson was trying to say. 

@RWJ no, you can't, per rule (mod edit bible verses and other religious content)

good thing you're an otherwise fine longtime es'er, cuz this level of violation, as tk noted, would typically get you a perma-boot

for this one time i wouldn't have done that anymore than tk, but solely because of your solid history here---don't repeat it though :) 

• Like 2