Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wentz Traded to Washington for 2 3rd Rounders per Bleacher Report

Reaper Skins

54 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

I know he would be in the AFC and the Texans want him out of their conference but how do you turn down three firsts, two seconds AND Zach Wilson (who was the second overall pick in the draft last year)?

Unless you're absolutely convinced that Wilson is a complete bust who was overdrafted you jump at that deal.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, MisterPinstripe said:

I am beyond confused at what the Texans are waiting for? They refuse to play him, he refuses to play for him, wtf are they doing not taking picks for him and moving on?

Remember that they can only trade him to a team that Watson approves and agrees to waive his no-trade clause. Even if the Jets rumor is true (seems to be disputed now) it would only matter if Watson wanted to go there. Otherwise the Texans have no choice but to turn it down.

• Thumb up 1

46 minutes ago, MisterPinstripe said:

I am beyond confused at what the Texans are waiting for? They refuse to play him, he refuses to play for him, wtf are they doing not taking picks for him and moving on?

Every QB that leaves the market makes Watson more valuable. There are no shortage of buyers, so they don't have to worry about the well drying up.

I think Watson's G money kicks in on the 20th or something, so they got some time to play around with.

• Thumb up 1

5 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

I can't see Watson going for anything less than three 1s and three 2s.

I think the Panthers are going to go 3 firsts, a couple of seconds, and then a couple of players as well.

The Wentz deal just looks better and better in my opinion.

• Like 6

Granted, I was very much less than thrilled to hear that Wentz was coming here, but after a couple of days I came around. A lot of the media still think its a terrible, failure of an idea and we're all going to be disappointed.

Trubisky just got signed...everyone is excited. Jimmy G might be going to the Colts...everyone is excited. How is it that these two get the thumbs up from the pundits, but we get the thumbs down? Whoever said that the media being against this is a good sign might be on to something here.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, Simmsy said:

Granted, I was very much less than thrilled to hear that Wentz was coming here, but after a couple of days I came around. A lot of the media still think its a terrible, failure of an idea and we're all going to be disappointed.

Trubisky just got signed...everyone is excited. Jimmy G might be going to the Colts...everyone is excited. How is it that these two get the thumbs up from the pundits, but we get the thumbs down? Whoever said that the media being against this is a good sign might be on to something here.

It is strange how the talking heads act as if Wentz didn't have a solid 2021.  But someone like trubisky who did nothing in 2021 is special?  And Jimmy g who had his share of struggles is tantalizing?   I think a lot of the criticism was based on us overpaying, which is justified, but I agree with you that Wentz should be a more respected QB than either of those guys.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, HigSkin said:

Peter Shrags this morning on NFLN said at the Combine and talking to people you could just tell something was gonna be done with Wentz because the owner couldn't get past the Jags game.  Was not the feeling of other Colts brass but they had to fall in line.

So, this is the opposite of what could have happened to Cousins with Snyder after the 2016 loss to the Giants.  I'm not entirely sure which loss was worse, probably the Indy loss.  But, in context, for reasons only the football Gods understand, the Colts can't beat the Jags in Jax.  I don't think they've won there since 2014.  So there's that. 

It's eerily similar to 2016 for us.  All the team had to do was beat a Giants team that had nothing to play for and they were in the playoffs.  And the Giants didn't REALLY try to win, but they also didn't roll over.  Our entire team, from the coach, to the QB, to the defense, completely choked.

Same thing with Indy.

Irsay, apparently, couldn't get over it, and wanted a head on a platter.  And it WASN'T just Wentz who stunk that game.  It was the entire team.  The colts defense, which was very couldn't couldn't stop a pretty pedestrian Jags offense.  But the easiest head was Wentz.  

But Irsay went after Wentz.  I get the feeling it was kindof "the last straw." There were problems there before, and they became bigger problems.

Imagine if Snyder had done the same to Cousins after the 2016 season and just said he wanted him gone.  (Granted, I was calling for Snyder to do that to Jay at the time. But not Cousins.)  Contractually it would have been a bit different because that's the off-season they used the second franchise tag on Cousins.  Wentz was under contract.  

But Snyder could have intervened. Can you imagine how different the narrative would be about Cousins now if Snyder had thrown him out?  There would be songs written about his glorious play and leadership, how he is the franchise leader in a number of categories, and Snyder was a complete ass hat who ruined everything.  It really was a sliding doors moment. 

All that to say, I'm not sure WHAT the actual story about Wentz is.  But of the options we had, he's probably the best one which was attainable.  And we'll see if they can put it together on the field.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, KillBill26 said:

It is strange how the talking heads act as if Wentz didn't have a solid 2021.  But someone like trubisky who did nothing in 2021 is special?  And Jimmy g who had his share of struggles is tantalizing?   I think a lot of the criticism was based on us overpaying, which is justified, but I agree with you that Wentz should be a more respected QB than either of those guys.

If the colts had just kept their Goddamn mouths shut, somebody was going to have to trade a #1 for Wentz. MAYBE more than 1.   Maybe us, maybe not. He was a probowl alternate, had the 9th highest QBR, 27 TDs to 7 INTs.  He had a BAD game against Jax.  So did the rest of the team.  

If the Colts had just held their collective water (and by Colts I mean Irsay) all the talking heads would have rated Wentz as the absolute best QB available this off-season.  After Wilson and Rodgers, he would have been the next most coveted QB.  (I'm leaving Watson aside because of all of his legal issues).  He's absolutely better than Mitch, Mariota, Dalton, Pryor, and every other FA QB.  He's probably better than Jimmy G., and importantly, NOT coming off of shoulder surgery.  

The colts totally blew it.  They could have played the game so much better and gotten so much more, and the narrative would have been so much different.  

But they just loaded a shotgun, pointed it directly at their left foot, pulled the trigger, then re-loaded, pointed it at their right foot, pulled the trigger, and just to be sure they shot both of their feet off, picked up a bazooka and fired that at both their feet as well.  

18 hours ago, MisterPinstripe said:

It will happen today.  I think there is incentive for it to happen before the league year.  

• Like 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

Ugh, is the Carson Wentz era in Washington over yet?  

YARN | The Way I See It, We've Only Just Begun. | Happy Gilmore (1996) |  Video gifs by quotes | 93048132 | 紗

Chris Ballard trades a 1st and a 3rd for Wentz. Media:

Rock Clapping GIFs | Tenor

Chris Ballard subsequently trades Wentz a year later for a 3rd and maybe a 2nd, without a backup plan. Media:

Chris Ballard takes a ****, doesn't wipe, and pees on a seat out of spite. Media:

• Haha 6
  • Thumb up 2

21 minutes ago, Riggo#44 said:

Chris Ballard subsequently trades Wentz a year later for a 3rd and maybe a 2nd, without a backup plan. Media:

If you can trade a guy who your org scapegoats, disparages, bemoans and comes just short of getting the foreign old lady down the street to lay a curse upon, for shockingly plus returns, you did good. They did everything possible to tank Wentz trade value.

Ballard basically came out ahead while playing with his poker hand facing the opponents on this one. Pretty remarkable.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1