Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wentz Traded to Washington for 2 3rd Rounders per Bleacher Report

Reaper Skins

1 hour ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It does allow us to go BPA.  

I'm expecting this team to be better under Wentz, although not significantly better.  Maybe like...3 games better.  Maybe we're a 10-7 team and somehow make the playoffs.

I'm not sure what we do from there.  Keep Wentz?  Obviously that depends on how well he's played.  But if he's not the guy, we're still in the middle of the first round of next years draft and if there's a QB there, we'd have to trade up.

We didn't have to sell out for this but I'm thinking at some point we'll have to give up picks to move up in the draft to take a guy we want...or Wentz ****s the bed, so does the team and we're in the top 10 next year anyway.  

I digress.  Any which way you cut it, Wentz isn't a long term option for us.  He's here from 1-3 years.  

I think success brings its own worries as well.  This is a contract year, what if Wentz lights it up and the Commanders win 11-12 games?  They’d have to resign him, and doing so would cost over 40 million a year.  That would be a hell of a gamble, but we’ve seen the alternative for 20 years.   

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

A worse owner? The only thing worse Irsay is, he’s a druggie.

He does it the right way. Hire a Gm and GM hire the coach. When it’s time to make a change; he makes it. He rarely interferes.

He’s a far better owner than Snyder. Dan is the worst owner.

"Far better owner than Snyder" is a very, very low bar.    

I'm guessing that you're not from the Baltimore Metro area or, if so, that you're too young to remember just how ****ed up the Irsays are.

They're **** and the son doesn't seem any better, or much different, from the father, who was a drunk.

They're terrible.

• Like 3

Boy Wentz has been involved in a lot of trades. I wonder if he's the record holder for most picks exchanged? I count 8. Nine if you consider the swap of seconds countable. 

Wentz trade history:

Eagles traded for the ability to draft Wentz. Eagles gave up The No. 8 pick in 2016, the No. 77 pick (third round) in 2016, the No. 100 pick (fourth round) in 2016, a 2017 first-rounder and a 2018 second-rounder.

Then, the Eagles received a first round pick from the Colts for their one year rental.

Then, the Colts got swapped 2nd rounder, a third rounder and a conditional third rounder.

12 minutes ago, Destino said:

I think success brings its own worries as well.  This is a contract year, what if Wentz lights it up and the Commanders win 11-12 games?  They’d have to resign him, and doing so would cost over 40 million a year.  That would be a hell of a gamble, but we’ve seen the alternative for 20 years.   

That would be the best of all worlds actually. 

Wentz is contractually committed to us for three years. This year his compensation is guaranteed. The next two are not.

If he plays well next year he becomes a hot commodity in the league's eyes with a relatively cheap compensation package.

We would control him and could either:

1. keep him on the team the next two years at a bargain rate

2. trade him to another team for MORE than we paid to acquire him or

3. Negotiate a new long term contract knowing that WE have all of the leverage.

Three great options.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

That would be the best of all worlds actually. 

Wentz is contractually committed to us for three years. This year his compensation is guaranteed. The next two are not.

If he plays well next year he becomes a hot commodity in the league's eyes with a relatively cheap compensation package.

We would control him and could either:

1. keep him on the team the next two years at a bargain rate

2. trade him to another team for MORE than we paid to acquire him or

3. Negotiate a new long term contract knowing that WE have all of the leverage.

Three great options.

100%. If we can manage to make him look at least average we have a seriously valuable commodity. The QB market is insane, which is why we need to draft our own and develop them into our starter or trade bait.

What other position will slightly above average performance get so much of a return and cost so much to get? QB needs to be drafted constantly to take advantage of the market.

Edited by seantaylor=god
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

Just had an epiphany: We traded for Wentz  to buy one to two years to develop a long term solution at qb that they know is not ready to start this year; while still being competitive for the playoffs this season.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and make an ironclad guarantee:

1. If Willis is available at 11 the Commanders will draft him. Period. Full stop.

2. If they think Willis will go before then they will try to trade up to get him.

3. If he's gone at 11 they will either draft the next best qb on their board or trade back with the goal of drafting a qb later in the first round or early in the second.

I'm on this limb for the duration (at least until the draft) and I'm certain it will hold...

image.thumb.png.25afa04c00eee5b241a3a07808fc1cff.png

I don't understand the hype surrounding Willis.. Sure he has a rocket arm but he has small hands just like kenny pickett. I'd honestly compare him at best to Jay Cutler, at worst a poor mans Jalen Hurts, no thanks.

7 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

I don't understand the hype surrounding Willis.. Sure he has a rocket arm but he has small hands just like kenny pickett. I'd honestly compare him at best to Jay Cutler, at worst a poor mans Jalen Hurts, no thanks.

You blaspheme!

No one currently in the game has small hands like Pickett.

In fact, only one qb in the entire "hand measuring" era has ever performed well with baby stubs the size of Picket and he was known as much for his elusiveness in the pocket and strong arm as his propensity for fumbling/turnovers-- Michael Vick.

And Pickett btw is no Michael Vick. 

1 hour ago, Renegade7 said:

If you honestly believe that, them you helping make the case that we shouldn't of traded for Wentz in the first place.

I don't totally agree with you, we can beat Dallas right now at least a split, but I had a similar concern when the trade was announced about us having a roster to be a contender within the next 3 years.

Expecting a SuperBowl is ridiculous this year.

Wentz has to learn Turner’s offense and a rhythm with the offensive players. Expecting more than 9-10 wins this year; is unrealistic. Maybe, we get lucky and win the playoff game; especially if it’s against division winner Dallas.

I don’t expect much more in Year 1. Year 2 , I expect more and by year 3; maybe we can make a run. 

Remember; if we do make the playoffs , it gets tougher in 23 and this team has to prove it. I’m talking defense more the offense.

1 hour ago, Destino said:

It's a lock that if he has an amazing season and we re-sign him that he ****s the bed.  There's no other outcome.  

• Like 2

2 3rds and a modest contract that is cuttable for the most important position in football is a lot better than 2 2nds and a full contract you can't walk away from for a great. but aging pass rusher.

1 minute ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

It's a lock that if he has an amazing season and we re-sign him that he ****s the bed.  There's no other outcome.  

He's already resigned for 3 years. We don't have to do anything.

2 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

He's already resigned for 3 years. We don't have to do anything.

IIRC, what @Destino was alluding to is that...yes, it's a 3 year deal but we can cut him at the end of the season and there's no cap hit for us.  Essentially, it is a contract year for him.  We can also keep him on the roster for the remaining two years if we wanted to.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Spaceman Spiff said:

IIRC, what @Destino was alluding to is that...yes, it's a 3 year deal but we can cut him at the end of the season and there's no cap hit for us.  Essentially, it is a contract year for him.  We can also keep him on the roster for the remaining two years if we wanted to.  

I know, although I wouldn't call it a contract year persae 

rKkcCYW.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 9
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Carsonator has 3 years left. We don’t have to do anything for 2 years. We can release him next year and no cap hit.

Don’t extend him until after Year 2; if he’s earned it. If he’s earned it; he will get his $40 million a year/ 5 year contract before the 24 season.

He has one year to prove he comes back in 23. 2 years to show he’s our franchise QB .

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, srtman04 said:

Looking at Wentz's highlights last year,  they really aren't that bad.   I'm starting to relax my position on this and willing to give it a chance this year.  Wentz at least has an NFL arm and can be accurate:

The throw to Zach Pascal (an ex skin I believe, but who?) in the Rams game in between 3 *4* defenders was a thing of beauty. That window was super small. If Samuels is healthy this year, he has Scary Terry and CS.. that could be a dangerous combo. 

wentztd.PNG

Edited by ZarG3
  • Like 2

I gotta push back on the notion that Wentz is going to wilt under the pressure of Rivera if he cant handle criticism. And it actually has nothing to do with Wentz. Say what you want about Rivera but one thing Rivera does seem to do really well is understanding that no every player responds to the same style of Coaching. Rivera is a very good motivator and I think a lot if it is from this understanding that every person is different and each individual has to be handled differently. Its been reported that Wentz is kind of an introvert. So there's a possibility here that its not the criticism in and of itself that he cant handle so much as he cant handle the criticism when its out in the open and in front of everyone if that makes sense. Im very much in wait and see mode like most of you but I do have hope that the way Rivera is able to connect with so many different players that he might be able to get through to Wentz.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I'll take the *thumbs down* drive-by to mean @Alexa is still aggressively researching the internet for proof that for every teammate that likes Wentz, there are two that hate him.

I just read Carson has zero, ZERO, friends on MySpace.

How you go and sign a guy like that is beyond me.

• Haha 7

There's not one QB in this year's draft that's able to sit and be coached up in 1-2 years. Not one. I'm super glad we have Wentz and can go BPA/need on all draft choices. 

I want to see how the team does this year and think about next year further into the season. There's no need to take a QB that's will never be ready to play ever. Think about that.

Just now, ExoDus84 said:

I just read Carson has zero, ZERO, friends on MySpace.

How you go and sign a guy like that is beyond me.

My Space is so 00s!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I ever tell yall my absolute favorite thing I almost remember doing at FedEx was going to an Eagles game, getting endzone seats, and just belligerently yelling CARSON WENTZ for the entire four quarters? I dont really remember it all myself. But there are videos. I was with the wifes brother and my brother who are both eagles fans and all I really remember was the tailgate. 

Fun times. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Llevron said:

I ever tell yall my absolute favorite thing I almost remember doing at FedEx was going to an Eagles game, getting endzone seats, and just belligerently yelling CARSON WENTZ for the entire four quarters? I dont really remember it all myself. But there are videos. I was with the wifes brother and my brother who are both eagles fans and all I really remember was the tailgate. 

Fun times. 

I went with skins4lyfe21 (I think was his screen name) and we were back against the fence high up. Some guys came over and gave us the Best Buy dream seats. Well, long story short DJax flipped me off and I made Jon Ronyun (sp) laugh.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Alexa said:

Yep, and between the two of them we will have on average 2 fumbles per game!

In 2021, Wentz had 8 fumbles. This was tied for 15th among QBs, behind (in order): 

Dak
Carr
Murray
Cousins
Fields
Roethlisberger
Ryan
Tannehill
Goff
Mahomes
Darnold
Tua
Hurts
Lawrence

And had the same number as Jimmy G and Josh Allen. Russell Wilson, incidentally, had 6 himself. 

• Like 1