Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Wentz Traded to Washington for 2 3rd Rounders per Bleacher Report

Reaper Skins

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/eagles/carson-wentz-fought-back-against-jealousy-toward-nick-foles

“It’s human nature to want to be on that podium and be the guy. You grow up wanting to be there, but not being able to be up there, there’s nobody I’d rather have up there than Nick.”

Wentz may have been the most valuable player in the NFL, but Foles, his close friend and teammate, is the one with a Super Bowl MVP trophy.

But after leading the Eagles to a 10-2 record with 33 touchdowns and just seven interceptions, it wasn’t the easiest thing to watch his backup achieve football immortality with a record-setting run through the postseason.

“They’re able to step back and just focus on the team. Both guys have no egos, especially Nick. That guy is as cool as they come. He’s a phenomenal teammate, I think everyone saw that come out last year, his ability even at the beginning of the year, what he was able to do with Carson, kind of helping him out.

“When Carson was playing, Nick would be a sounding board. So the dynamic really hasn’t changed in that regard. Even when Nick was playing, Carson did the same thing for him. So that relationship started to grow last year, and I’m assuming it’s going to be the same.”

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's a take alright. I wouldn't call myself an apologist. I am just listening to all sides and forming an opinion, while being excited that we have a real QB with a ton of upside, instead of listening to the media driven rhetoric and forming a one sided opinion based on years of being jaded. I'm hopeful and happy we have a top half QB and think we have a very good team and coaches. I'm excited about what we can do. The Colts are a garbage team with a worse owner than we have and are running an obvious smear campaign to save face.

The Colts are a garbage team?  Ok.. lol.

19 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

That's a take alright. I wouldn't call myself an apologist. I am just listening to all sides and forming an opinion, while being excited that we have a real QB with a ton of upside, instead of listening to the media driven rhetoric and forming a one sided opinion based on years of being jaded. I'm hopeful and happy we have a top half QB and think we have a very good team and coaches. I'm excited about what we can do. The Colts are a garbage team with a worse owner than we have and are running an obvious smear campaign to save face.

A worse owner? The only thing worse Irsay is, he’s a druggie.

He does it the right way. Hire a Gm and GM hire the coach. When it’s time to make a change; he makes it. He rarely interferes.

He’s a far better owner than Snyder. Dan is the worst owner.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

21 minutes ago, Alexa said:

Way too many red flags w/ him and where there is smoke we all know there is fire. The Indy situation just verifies the Philly situation.

It really doesn't.  Two entirely different situations, as it's abundantly clear that the only issue in Indy was that he refused to get vaxxed, Irsay didn't like it, and it did inevitably come back to bite the team in the ass, at the worst time.  However, a smart owner would be pissed and let it be known, but not dead the relationship to the extent the team will no longer have a QB or the 1st round draft pick they traded to acquire him less than a year ago.  A volatile, reactionary owner would demand they get rid of the player and leave the GM and coach to deal with the fallout.  That's exactly what happened.

25 minutes ago, Alexa said:

But going back to Philly they drafted Hurts in the 2nd round a couple years ago. What does that say? That says that the Eagles did not believe in him at all. Eventually he was benched for terrible play and then traded. The Eagles picked Hurts over Wentz. If that isn't a red flag then idk what is. 

There is more than one narrative from Philly on what exactly went down and we'll just say that your version is painted in a way that makes Wentz the one and only bad guy....shocker. Wentz was part of the old regime and he did play poorly in 2020, yet there's another narrative that he wanted out more than the Eagles wanted out from him. 

28 minutes ago, Alexa said:

For every teammate that likes him there are two that don't.

I'd be interested to know how you came to that conclusion.  My guess...

Finger Fart GIF by Jason Clarke

30 minutes ago, Alexa said:

He isn't a good QB anymore.

Looked pretty good to me.

• Haha 3

Just now, 88Comrade2000 said:

He does it the right way. Hire a Gm and GM hire the coach. When it’s time to make a change; he makes it. He rarely interferes.

He just platooned his team by forcing the GM to dump Wentz who they don't have a 1rst round pick because of. Players are fleeing that team right now. The coaches are scared to lose their jobs. Colts are a mess.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

He's definitely a better owner than Snyder, but so am I - and I don't even own a football team.

But there's more than enough out there about Irsay to suggest that he absolutely rules the roost over there, definitely not hands off.

19 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

I'll say it once. Expecting wentz to go into the season with a 28 mil cap hit is not only short sited, it's stupid. A lot of casual fans have no idea how the cap works. They can convert 19 million of his salary to a signing bonus, saving us around 13 million in cap space, and they don't even have to request carson do that.

A 15 million cap hit puts him about 19th in the league vs. other QB cap hits. (source: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/rankings/cap-hit/quarterback/). That is NOT bad at all, and what I call a good deal.

Isn't that sort of like saying, this item is too expensive for what it's worth so I'll pay half in cash and put the rest on my credit card and voi-la it's a good deal?

Just now, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

He's definitely a better owner than Snyder, but so am I - and I don't even own a football team.

But there's more than enough out there about Irsay to suggest that he absolutely rules the roost over there, definitely not hands off.

Irsay is like Dan was 10 years ago. Even up to the Haskins trade.

When I say that he is worse, I'm talking strictly in football team terms. As a person, Dan is a garbage can. 

Just now, Koolblue13 said:

Irsay is like Dan was 10 years ago. Even up to the Haskins trade.

When I say that he is worse, I'm talking strictly in football team terms. As a person, Dan is a garbage can. 

I still think Irsay has a bit better of a knack for who and how to hire the folks to run his football operations than Dan.  The track record for Irsay is much better, that said - I absolutely get what you mean as far as him meddling and interfering, it's always been my understanding that he's one of those owners for sure.

8 minutes ago, redskinss said:

Isn't that sort of like saying, this item is too expensive for what it's worth so I'll pay half in cash and put the rest on my credit card and voi-la it's a good deal?

Not at all, Carson is still being paid and not taking up cap space ala the top 10 QB cap hits in the league. You build a team with cap space, and if you have someone that could potentially (and it is a big potentially) become a good QB again at a somewhat cheap number while not hamstringing the team? That's a good deal. About 13% of your cap for a QB is a prove it deal, and is right where you want to be unless they are Mahomes type who gets 500 million lol

If Wentz comes out, throws 4000+ yards, 25+ TDs, and gets us into the playoffs? That's a great deal.

If he crashes and craps the bed, then they release him without much ramifications.

Edited by ZarG3

good stuff seems like we have a lotta insiders on the Colts and their locker room...

13 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

If he crashes and craps the bed, then they release him without much ramifications.

Im surprised far less people understand this. The team wasn't gonna roll out Taylor Heinicke and our high school offense for the first season under a new name....simply wasn't gonna happen this trade was probably the best thing that could happen we get a starting caliber NFL QB, on a one year prove it deal. 

Edited by CjSuAvE22
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

good stuff seems like we have a lotta insiders on the Colts and their locker room...

Im surprised far less people understand this. The team wasn't gonna roll out Taylor Heinicke and our high school offense for the first season under a new name....simply wasn't gonna happen this trade was probably the best thing that could happen we get a starting caliber NFL QB, on a one year prove it deal. 

Exactly.

Prove it Mr. Wentz, I know you want to tear up some sheagles twice a year for what they did to you.

15 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

I know that teams adjust contracts to push cash out into the future so they can stay competitive in the present but that doesn't change whether it's a good deal or not.

If wentz counts 28 million towards the cap this year and we restructure pushing 15 million into the future that money doesn't just go away.

If we decided to cut him that 15 million would become dead cap.

We're now committed to pay wentz 28 million dollars of our salary cap no matter how much magic we create with numbers, whether that's a good deal or not is debatable. 

13 minutes ago, CjSuAvE22 said:

I don't see a lot of people saying this isn't an improvement, and by God a needed one.

Its more like simply making the best of a bad situation does not automatically equate to a good move.

Even if you believe this is the best thing that could come down the pipes, that does not mean you have to like or celebrate it.

3 minutes ago, redskinss said:

I know that teams adjust contracts to push cash out into the future so they can stay competitive in the present but that doesn't change whether it's a good deal or not.

If wentz counts 28 million towards the cap this year and we restructure pushing 15 million into the future that money doesn't just go away.

If we decided to cut him that 15 million would become dead cap.

We're now committed to pay wentz 28 million dollars of our salary cap no matter how much magic we create with numbers, whether that's a good deal or not is debatable. 

Well it really depends on what next year's salary cap increase will look like. Estimated values are around 225 million compared to this year of 208 million.. this is why teams push cap into other years due to the cap increases, making this a feasible deal. Due to the cap increase that 15 million dead cap isn't going to kill the team.

• Like 1

Wentz at the minute is on a borderline top 10 QB contract. Behind him you have a couple of players due big money deals this offseason plus half a dozen excellent QBs still on rookie deals. 

To me, it’s a wash. He’s effectively on a mid tier veteran QB deal. The best will all soon be on 40mi plus per year and the Trubiskys of this world will soon be on 10-12mil per year.

We have an out after one season. To get a true starting quality QB, which he is, the contract is reasonable enough to me.

1 minute ago, Alexa said:

BatteredFan-  you and others are just trying to make a bunch of excuses for him. The red flags are there and they aren't going anywhere. 

Perhaps Wentz going to Indy didn’t really do him any favours. The red flags are there for sure. None of us know to what extent. But he went to Indy and really Reich was a close associate of his. Maybe didn’t help straighten out the issues. Maybe they were glossed over due to that close relationship.

Rivera has a strong reputation with what is likely to be a more independent opinion on Wentz. He just needs to sort any crap out that he thinks is there.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, ZarG3 said:

Well it really depends on what next year's salary cap increase will look like. Estimated values are around 225 million compared to this year of 208 million.. this is why teams push cap into other years due to the cap increases, making this a feasible deal. Due to the cap increase that 15 million dead cap isn't going to kill the team.

All true, but still has no bearing on whether or not it's a good deal.

To use the same analogy, if I buy a 50 thousand dollar used truck and pay 20 cash and put 30 on an interest free credit card the fact that I'm getting a raise next year doesn't mean I got a good deal on the truck, it just means I maybe can afford it.

11 hours ago, Ball Security said:

I’d be surprised if Winston and Trubisky combine for $28M in ‘22.

I agree but the real quandry that Rivera faced was whether or not either of those players (and Mariotta) would have chosen the Commanders in a free market no matter how competitive our offer was.

There were also reports that Garopollo had no interest in coming here in a trade and that Shanahan was inclined to do him a solid by accomadating his preference.

There was a very real possibility that when the music stopped we would have been left standing with no chair to sit in. Which would have left a weak qb draft as our only avenue to improve the qb room.

Rivera was forced to gamble that he could make chicken soup out of chicken ****.

I guess we'll all just have to wait until it's served to see what it tastes like.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

52 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

I still think Irsay has a bit better of a knack for who and how to hire the folks to run his football operations than Dan.  The track record for Irsay is much better, that said - I absolutely get what you mean as far as him meddling and interfering, it's always been my understanding that he's one of those owners for sure.

Oh like how he fired Jim Caldwell after three seasons with 26-22 record with two playoff appearances, a super bowl appearance and one bad season after Mannings injury and the team basically tanked to a 2-14 record to draft Andrew Luck? Oh and also fired Bill and Chris Polian that same offseason after not making the playoffs for the first time in nine years? or how about then drafting Andrew Luck and then putting no offensive line around him allowing him to constantly get hit and injured to the point he has to retire in his prime? Or how about the fact that the offensive line is still terrible in pass pro there ranked 20th and 30th per espn and pff and forcing out a qb that had 27tds and 7 picks despite the awful o line and very little in way of receiving weapons because he was mad that he didnt get vaccinated and trashing the dudes character to make himself look better. From a football perspective the only difference between Dan Snyder and Irsay is Irsay lucked into not one but two Franchise qbs including a 1st ballot HOFer, Tony dungy, and being in a smaller market. Keep in mind there are players in Indy right now on their roster publicly trashing the organization. @BatteredFanSyndrome sorry bout that did not mean to direct that at you 🤣

Edited by Mrshadow008
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, Alexa said:

BatteredFan-  you and others are just trying to make a bunch of excuses for him. The red flags are there and they aren't going anywhere. 

You got me!  Totally my M.O. - big homer making up excuses for this franchise.

I’m still waiting for your proof that for every teammate that likes him, two hate him.

Still Waiting Office Tv GIF by The Office

• Haha 4
  • Thumb down 1