Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

21 minutes ago, moondog said:

Flowers just doesn’t make sense to me. He’s young, in his prime (maybe getting better really) and durable. It was my understanding we easily could have restructured/extended his contract to minimize the cap hit this year. And it made sense to me given he’s only 27. 

That one was just extremely unexpected. 

I don’t get it either but you gotta question the player. He lasted only one year with Phins (who basically gave him away to us) after signing a 3 year deal and then comes back here for one year and is cut. There’s something there we’re not aware of. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, skinsfan93 said:

I don’t get it either but you gotta question the player. He lasted only one year with Jags after signing a 3 year deal and then comes back here for one year and is cut. There’s something there we’re not aware of. 

I think it was the dolphins but you’re right. Could be a maturity issue or something. But he wanted to come back here and given he hadn’t played for Rivera I have to think the oline vouched for him. Oh well. It’s done now but all of a sudden there is a huge gap on dline and oline depth. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, 86 Snyder said:

And no fan of this team (which no longer includes me) owes him any gratitude.  Washington reached on him at 5 which boosted his entire career, and he Cousins’d his way out.  Olineman get name recognition first, then make pro bowls.  If he doesn’t owe loyalty then he doesn’t deserve gratitude.  

We didn't boost his career by drafting him at 5. Player draft position has nothing to do with their performance on the field. He earned all the pro-bowls with his play on the field and has been consistently ranked among the top guards in the league. I don't get this one-way loyalty that we expect from players while teams can cut anybody at anytime. Teams make business decisions all the time so why can't players do what is best for them? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

11 is a good number for a qb. It looks right on him.

Didn't Rypien wear #11? 

he did.

As I recall 11 was a fairly popular number for QBs in the 80s and 90s that isn't nearly as common nowadays

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I don’t get it either but you gotta question the player. He lasted only one year with Jags (who basically gave him away to us) after signing a 3 year deal and then comes back here for one year and is cut. There’s something there we’re not aware of. 

I was thinking the exact same thing....maybe there's more to this than any of us would know? Our beat reporters need to uncover this. 

6 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I don’t get it either but you gotta question the player. He lasted only one year with Jags (who basically gave him away to us) after signing a 3 year deal and then comes back here for one year and is cut. There’s something there we’re not aware of. 

Dolphins not Jags

20 minutes ago, Conn said:

Yes, we were. We signed big on the top of our roster and had horrible depth because of it, and the inability to sign our own (few) homegrown guys. That’s cap hell. It doesn’t just mean that you have to do rounds of deep cuts every year. We absolutely experienced the downsides of spending the cap that way. 

I don't wanna beat a dead horse, but you're arguing roster construction and I'm arguing the amount we spent. 

RE: Flowers

He has played well for us, in fact he’s one case where this organization is actually responsible for reviving his career by moving him to guard.

That said, I can see why the team wouldn’t want to pay him the rest of the large contract Miami signed him to, after he had a career year here at Guard.

We could be looking at a scenario where he comes back, at a discount.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, moondog said:

Flowers just doesn’t make sense to me. He’s young, in his prime (maybe getting better really) and durable. It was my understanding we easily could have restructured/extended his contract to minimize the cap hit this year. And it made sense to me given he’s only 27. 

Flowers wasn't worth the $10 million he'd get. I suspect the team did try and restructure/extend him and those talks went poorly, leading to his release. Now the smart play was to line up your back-up plan at guard and try and lock that person in first before moving on. Time will tell if the team actually did that or not. If they did, we'd likely hear something pretty soon. The fact Flowers had zero dead money makes it an easy move. And I suppose, if Flowers can't find the money he wants elsewhere he can always come back should the teams still both find mutual ground.

15 minutes ago, skeenzfan said:

So you let a younger player who was durable and played well go to sign older players that played for you in CAR? Makes no sense. He should have been a candidate for an extension. 

Well, Flowers was due $10m. They probably asked him to restructure his deal to reduce his cap to about $4m this year. He said no. We see who is out on the market and feel confident in Charles, and know we can get one of those 3 on a cheap 2-3 year deal to compete and possibly replace Schweitzer this year and beyond with a cap hit of $3-4m, it makes more sense. But we’ll see. 

Is the JSteelz guy still legit? He used to get a lot of scoop but the ashburn leaks have been plugged since Rivera came in. Anyway he and another guy are insinuating Honey Badger. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, moondog said:

The chatter in Twitter world was he wouldn't restructure.  They did want to keep him.

Just now, HigSkin said:

The chatter in Twitter world was he wouldn't restructure.  They did want to keep him.

If true I don’t understand why a player wouldn’t restructure? Usually it involves adding years and turning part of the salary into a signing bonus so it can be spread out. I guess his people thought he can get more than $10 mil from someone else. I highly doubt it. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Well, Flowers was due $10m. They probably asked him to restructure his deal to reduce his cap to about $4m this year. He said no. We see who is out on the market and feel confident in Charles, and know we can get one of those 3 on a cheap 2-3 year deal to compete and possibly replace Schweitzer this year and beyond with a cap hit of $3-4m, it makes more sense. But we’ll see. 

Is the JSteelz guy still legit? He used to get a lot of scoop but the ashburn leaks have been plugged since Rivera came in. Anyway he and another guy are insinuating Honey Badger. 

"...he and another guy are insinuating Honey Badger"

After all the cuts we made today to get cap flexibility and productive players we lost Rivera better sign him or whoever else they're really after.

We've been bridesmaids in these competitive chases too many times for my comfort.

Riverboat needs to start closing some damn deals.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

3 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

If true I don’t understand why a player wouldn’t restructure? Usually it involves adding years and turning part of the salary into a signing bonus so it can be spread out. I guess his people thought he can get more than $10 mil from someone else. I highly doubt it. 

They might have offered him more years and some guarantees but less than $10M cash per year. Asked him to take a pay cut.

He and his agent felt they could get more on the open market and refused. Fair enough really - we will see if they were right.

• Like 1

I hope we don’t blow a big contract on Honey Badger. He can still play but he’s basically a better version of Landon Collins. He’s not great in coverage but is good against the run and is a threat blitzing. I think he would be a luxury signing for us - and I don’t have much confidence we would use him correctly if we did sign him.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 2

4 minutes ago, MartinC said:

They might have offered him more years and some guarantees but less than $10M cash per year. Asked him to take a pay cut.

He and his agent felt they could get more on the open market and refused. Fair enough really - we will see if they were right.

So are you saying they asked Flowers to take a pay cut? That’s different than restructuring his contract. 

2 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I hope we don’t blow a big contract on Honey Badger. He can still play but he’s basically a better version of Landon Collins. He’s not great in coverage but is good against the run and is a threat blitzing. I think he would be a luxury signing for us - and I don’t have much confidence we would use him correctly if we did sign him.

I thought he was known to be a good coverage guy? Has he fallen off? 

2 minutes ago, The Rook said:

Kyzir White IS a thumper and with a non-stop motor.  Check out some film on him.

:229:The Rook

Im not saying he can’t hit. I have a good buddy who is a Chargers fan and he likes him but thinks he’s replaceable with a rookie. For our MIKE I just prefer someone who is 240+ who won’t get swarmed up.