Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

2 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I don't like the cuts. But that is an initial reaction. None of us know how this is going to play out and there is a chance that there is a plan in place. We will know in the next month or so if there is or isn't. Much easier to begin figuring out an opinion at that point than now.

But we won't REALLY know until September or later.

I agree with that, but I do credit them with at least having a plan in place.  It might not be clear to us now and whether or not it comes to fruition is a different subject.  But I can't imagine Ron and the gang are all just sitting around making decisions to cut guys on the fly - there has to be some method to the madness.

I guess in general for me, the more and more I hear our fanbase **** and moan about what we're doing - the more I feel like we have a chance.  Similar to the betting theory of betting against the public.  I've watched folks pop champagne around here offseason after offseason, talk themselves into all sorts of things, etc. and it never works out the way they had hoped.  That's not to say where Rivera and the gang is taking us is going to be any different, but the path is different and I'm willing to see where it leads us.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Wow is that right?

Yup... a quick peek at footballdb.com says we played GB 4 times during Favre's career and lost every one.

I don't think we ever got over on Peyton Manning. Got Brady twice though...but not in the one we really needed.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Here's my plan for the OL. I like to draft a guy or two ever year (when the picks are there to allow it) so that you always have a mix of talent and youth. Currently, we have 3 "paid" OL but, at a budget. Roullier, Leno and Schweizer. Adding Norwell would make it a 4th. But none of these guys are making premier money. I guess Roullier is for Center, but not necessarily for the OL in general. Leno is making peanuts for a LT.

LT - Leno (3 years remaining)

LG - Charles (2 years remaining)

C - Roullier (3 years remaining)

RG - Schweizer (final year)

RT - Cosmi (3 years remaining)

Charles apparently looked really good, according to some. It takes a couple years for raw OL to really gel, and he could be primed for a breakout this year. If we signed Norwell or another veteran to play LG, then I feel pretty good about the OL again. We would probably have Charles slot in at RG (assuming he beats out Schweizer, which I put at 50/50) ... which makes Schweizer a value backup at RG in the final year. BUT, the depth is a concern.

Assuming Norwell signs a 1-2+ year deal, we'll be in good shape with the starters in place for 2022-2023 (if you include Charles) but we need depth. So I think you bring in Norwell for a few years if possible. Bring in a swing tackle (maybe Williams?) for 1-2 years (although that's probably unlikely).

In the draft, I think you have to go with a Tackle that can play Guard (ala Charles in 2020). Right now, unless you bring back Corn Lucas, you are without a backup OT. Charles can probably slot there if need be, but if he's your starting Guard, that's less than ideal.

Assuming we sign a veteran LG and MLB, I am trading back from #11 and drafting WR and OT with 2 of the first 3 picks.

I know we re-upped Tyler Larsen and tendered Keith Ismael. They are bodies. They are back of the depth chart break glass in case of emergency guys. They're useful, but I'm not including them here because they could easily be cut in camp and nobody would bat an eye. I'm talking about solutions for the OL in relation to who will be starting beyond 2022.

They have drafted five OL in the past four years and 11 in the past eight.  For every Spencer Long or Chase Rhoulier, you get a couple of Wes Martins, Geron Christian, Ross Pierschbacher, Keith Ismaels.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Redwards said:

I'll just have to respectfully disagree on this.  

I share JP's viewpoint:  I see it as holding a HC accountable for the moves he makes vs the things he says.  Now, perhaps Ron gets more of a pass because we all know he's the last and best option we have as a HC.  This, I can understand.  

There’s the start to your problems imo. The more the years go on the more Finlay morphs into the sort of sports radio personality that harps on narratives meant to upset you. He used to be a pretty straight forward news guy, but I think he lost most of his sources when Rivera came in and cleaned house because he reaches for content now in a way he never used to, from what I’ve seen. But I don’t follow it as closely as SIP or you probably so I could be wrong. 

Hearing Rivera listing ONE of our strengths in his hypothetical “pitch” (that we never actually heard in action btw, we just heard him talking about how we have a strong one as he understandably pursued a doomed attempt at those HOF QB’s) as our OL being good—and then twisting that into this weird hyper-specific “I interpret that as him hyping up the exact 5 guys starting on our week 18 roster” (when our OL’s actual strength is that it’s been good no matter who we plug in or what injuries we suffer there!) when everyone knew Scherff was gone and Flowers is somewhere between ‘replacement level’ and ‘pretty good’, is silly. It’s looking for things to get mad at. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Does the board want honey badger or Wagner more? 

Personally I want a VET MLB much more then a vet safety. Safety has a ton of draft option that have star written all over them. Brisker Penn St. YouTube him. 

never mind just watch this middle. 

Edited by sebestian
  • Like 2

With the loss of Collins I think a major unanswered question for our defense is do we have a vocal, charasmatic leader in the back 7?

We need someone that is enthusiastic, energetic and well respected who is capable of galvanizing a team.

That player just might be Tyrann Matthieu.

I think we will get the answer to that question today.

Edited by CommanderInTheRye
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Anselmheifer said:

Does the board want honey badger or Wagner more? 

Both would be nice adds but Wagner right now

I would have been psyched for the Honey Badger before they resigned McCain. I  am just positive what the plan is if they bring him with the current group now.

1 minute ago, RWJ said:

No brainer but he wants WC, Wagner. :)  

I’ve heard people on the board say this but haven’t seen any tweets or links. 

I’d also prefer Wagner. I actually think Wagner,

Mathieu and Donte Jackson would give us the defense we thought we were going to have next year. That’s probably not in budget though. 

• Like 3

I'd love to have Wagner, but I'd imagine so would a few others and at what cost.

Zero interest in investing in Honey Badger at anywhere close to what he's accustomed to making.  I'd take a pissed off that he can't secure the bag, Honey Badger, on a one year $7.5MM prove it deal in a heartbeat, but I don't see that being realistic.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Personally I want a VET MLB much more then a vet safety. Safety has a ton of draft option that have star written all over them. Brisker Penn St. YouTube him. 

never mind just watch this middle. 

I like him in the 2nd .  Favorite FS besides Hamilton but Hamilton will go before #11.  If we don't draft Brisker in the 2nd and sign a vet MLB give me Muma in the 2nd. :)  

• Like 1