Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

19 minutes ago, Redwards said:

I'm not trying to be argumentative either.  This is just a board where fans are supposed to spitball opinions back and forth, and they aren't always going to be in sync.  Some fans have a hard time with different takes (not saying you!) and result to insults and all kinds of juvenile/infantile responses, but I can't relate to that.  You'll never get that from me.  I'd like to think we're all well-adjusted grown ups here respecting each other while talking about one of our passions.  I mean...it's just freaking football, right?  😆 

But, it's with discussions like these that I absolutely hate fans not being able to be face-to-face.   My whole demeanor is totally chill, I promise.  

I'll just try to explain my viewpoint on what you were asking and then I'll let it go.  You asked, so the least I can do is give you the courtesy of a response, even if you don't find that you agree with that response.

Ok...so for whom was Ron selling this to?  According to Ron himself: every prospective QB.  He was on various media outlets for months laying this down.  When specifically asked what his sales pitch to QBs was going to be - what were the attributes that his team had that would make a QB want to come here, he touted the 1000 yard WR and RB and then the 6th overall ranking of the Oline and having that Oline able to protect the QB.  

Now, yes, when Ron declares this as a part of his self-professed selling point, then I do take that literally.  As in, I am telling you (QB) that I have the 6th best O line and I can protect you with it.  If I were a QB he's saying this to, then I would and should take that literally, especially if this guy is going to be my coach. 

Now, personally, I've played football, coached it and been a fan of the Skins (I refuse to call them by their new name) damn near my entire 47 years of life.  Long enough to clearly remember the good old days.  This doesn't in any way make me a maven of the sport or any more important or necessarily knowledgable than anyone else here, for sure.   But I do know football.   I'm being genuine when I say that just because a team is being constructed in a manner that I may not approve of doesn't all of a sudden make me trounce that method and declare it a failure.  The method has to be given a fair chance to bear fruit.  Lots of ways to build a winner, and all that.  (Me frowning upon the method certainly will make me question it, but that and declaring it a failure are two wildly different things) I'm a believer in results.  The process will more often than not, vary.  Winning, in the end, (and I define "winning" in this sport by winning a Super Bowl.  Not appearing in one - winning one) is the only result that matters.  

Alright...enough.  It's a moot point; we have Wentz now and have to make the best of it.  Hope this helped to clarify things a bit even if you aren't agreeing.  All good, brother.  On to the next episode in the life of a football fan.  And, yes, Norwell does seem like a good signing.  I hope he can stay healthy.  I don't know anything about his injury history but he's nasty, which I like up front. 👍

Fair enough on all of it. Thanks for the clarification. This probably a good place to agree to disagree. Lol.  But it's all good. Nothing you or I say will change what the team so as you say it's moot point. I hope they end up with the team they want as it could be reasonably successful. We have the foundation of a fun team to watch if Carson can have any success here. Need to get those other pieces. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I still think our draft choice is between:

Sauce, Stingley, Jordan Davis, Drake London, Kyle Hamilton.

In order: Hamilton, Davis, London, Sauce, Stingley for me.

FA receivers won't help us much with what's left. A young big body pass catcher who can be dynamic can. Davis and Hamilton are game changers. Period. 

If Brown can take a step forward coming into his second year, he can absolutely become our number 2 guy. Big if but I do like what he does bring to the table

1 minute ago, goskins10 said:

Fair enough on all of it. Thanks for the clarification. This probably a good place to agree to disagree. Lol.  But it's all good. Nothing you or I say will change what the team so as you say it's moot point. I hope they end up with the team they want as it could be reasonably successful. We have the foundation of a fun team to watch if Carson can have any success here. Need to get those other pieces. 

Cheers to that, brother.  🍻

• Like 1

Just now, ZarG3 said:

If Brown can take a step forward coming into his second year, he can absolutely become our number 2 guy. Big if but I do like what he does bring to the table

I was Brown's biggest fan here. But you can't do the "if" thing with a #2. That's why Samuel can't be slotted in.

McLaurin, London, Smauel, Brown are a good group. But lots of question marks. And I understand London is a "what if" as well, but I have an easier time justifying rookie "what if's" due to their boom/bust possibility than a second year guy turning it on right away.

Brown can do it. I believe it, too. But probably more as a 3 or 4 rather than a top 2. I think London is a top 2 receiver on most teams talent wise. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I know the draft is loaded at WR, but there really are a host of very good players left on the FA market. Jax killed that game for everyone.

I don't think they will sign a WR in FA unless it's a Hump type of guy a in a few weeks.  I DO think they might draft a guy, maybe early.  They are going to have to PAY Terry, and they already paid Samuel.  They can't tie up a lot more cap space in that position.  They also have Brown (who by all accounts, they still like and think Wentz will be able to help him develop), Milne, who they thought could take Hump's spot, and they re-signed Cam Sims.  If he can get the drops out of his game, Cam paired with Wentz as a possession type guy could be really good. 

Somebody (I think it was JP, which is interesting given my JP rant a few posts ago), that where they REALLY struggled with TH is the quick throws to the outside, which TH just couldn't execute because of lack of arm strength.  I have referred to these as "tight window throws" as well.  He's 100% right, though I think it was more than just outside, it was in the middle as well.  But whatever.  Carson can make those throws, and make them on-time and accurately.  I could see them wearing out a 8-10 yard WR option route where the WR decides which way to go based on the position of the DB/Safety, and Cam Sims could be a huge beneficiary of that on first downs and also on critical third downs.

In an absolute ideal world, you have this distribution/roles/responsibilities (and this assumes you don't bring anybody else in)

McLaurin - Clear #1, gets 10-12 targets per game.

Samuel - "Gadget" guy, 8-10 pass targets and 3-4 runs per game

Gibson - RB1 10-12 rushes per game, 4-6 targets per game. ** If healthy, should get ~20 touches per game. 

McKissic - RB2/Third Down Back 4-6 rushes per game, 4-6 targets per game

Brown - deep threat slot guy 3-5 targets per game

Cam Sims - Possession guy - 3-5 targets per game

Milne - Slot guy, 2-4 targets per game.

If you add all that up, that's about a total of 35-40 passes per game, and about 20 rushes per game.  That's about 60 plays with a 66% pass to run percentage, which is very common in the league.  Spread the ball around.  Make sure Terry gets his touches.  Use Samuel in the run and pass game.  Use McKissic as a versatile player.  DON'T run GIbson into the middle of the line 25 times a game.

7 minutes ago, KDawg said:

I still think our draft choice is between:

Sauce, Stingley, Jordan Davis, Drake London, Kyle Hamilton.

In order: Hamilton, Davis, London, Sauce, Stingley for me.

FA receivers won't help us much with what's left. A young big body pass catcher who can be dynamic can. Davis and Hamilton are game changers. Period. 

Unless Sauce is there, they are better off trying to trade down and get more Day 2/early Day 3 picks. There are obvious depth needs on the DL and at free safety currently. They will also need a nickelback if Johnson leaves

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

JP changed from reporter to sports radio personality the minute he got a sports radio show with BMitch.  

I think he still has sources, and he still breaks news, but he's no longer "just" a beat reporter for NBCSportsWashington.  Now he's kindof "king of all media" and trying to be provocative as well.  

I think he picked up a lot of that from BMitch.  Thank God he's not paired with Doc, or he might have just become a caricature of himself like Doc.

I blame BMitch.  (But I like to blame BMitch, so there is an admitted bias there).

46 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I stopped listening to JPs podcast - and I barely notice his tweets anymore. Don’t care for what he’s becoming.

Yeah, Bmitch seems to be turning JP into a "everything is terrible all the time" personality.

On one hand I get it, the team has been a disaster for 20 years.  That being said, it feels like he is looking for a narrative to spin every situation negatively.  Sometimes that is likely warranted, but sometimes he's just trying to make it fit...

• Like 1

My preference is to trade down a bit to hopefully pick up a third or second. I prefer Burks over London. Too many USC receivers become busts in the NFL. Burks is tall, good straight line speed and runs crisp routes. He’s too high at #11 but maybe more in the 20s. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

My preference is to trade down a bit to hopefully pick up a third or second. I prefer Burks over London. Too many USC receivers become busts in the NFL. Burks is tall, good straight line speed and runs crisp routes. He’s too high at #11 but maybe more in the 20s. 

At this point, I care much more about quality than quantity.  This team desperately needs stars if it wants to be up there as a legit SB threat.  If we can trade down and still draft a player with star potential, then I have no problem with this.  But I've had enough of taking "solid players".  We're full of them.  That's great.  We now need to compliment them with higher ceiling guys.  

2 minutes ago, Redwards said:

At this point, I care much more about quality than quantity.  This team desperately needs stars if it wants to be up there as a legit SB threat.  If we can trade down and still draft a player with star potential, then I have no problem with this.  But I've had enough of taking "solid players".  We're full of them.  That's great.  We now need to compliment them with higher ceiling guys.  

Agreed, if a stud WR is there a 11 then take him. If it's a stud LB or safety then take one. If nothing is there that you don't love, trade back and get more picks.

• Thumb up 1

4 minutes ago, Redwards said:

I agree completely but that’s why it’s the draft right? Wilson Olave London Burks Williams all could be stars or all could be busts. I think Wilson has a shot at being really good but he’s only 6’0. I just want to diversify our receivers with a tallish receiver not named Sims. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Est.1974 said:

Donte Jackson would impact that, unless it was really low value more comparable to the Settle deal. However, CB usually get decent cash.

Wager, Hooper are ones I still like, both released players.

Honey Badger would screw the comp pick.

RSJ and settle might be good for comp picks

19 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

I agree completely but that’s why it’s the draft right? Wilson Olave London Burks Williams all could be stars or all could be busts. I think Wilson has a shot at being really good but he’s only 6’0. I just want to diversify our receivers with a tallish receiver not named Sims. 

Christian Watkins WR NDSU

• Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, Ball Security said:

Not having the compensatory aspect of it changes things.  Still need to get that swing tackle.  It didn’t look like Charles could handle outside. But having him push Schweitzer for RG is a good position to be in.

Agreed, a single injury can make your swing tackle the most important player on the line.

Is Cornelius Lucas still out there?

I have always held him in higher regard than the forum's  general consensus. I also think that last year he acquitted himself well when called upon.

Has anybody else noticed how PFTs pictures are not matching up with the posts?  For example, the latest story is the Bills released Cole Beasley and the picture is of Von Miller.  Every post is like that and it throws my brain off.  Annoying!!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Any more rumours about more free agency signings 

The only recent rumors are oblique honey badger references you can read a couple pages back.

Reporters are speculating though, that they are making moves cap wise for a big signing.

1 hour ago, MartinC said:

I stopped listening to JPs podcast - and I barely notice his tweets anymore. Don’t care for what he’s becoming.

It's pretty much everyone on 106.7, they've become the sports equivalent of cable news.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, method man said:

Unless Sauce is there, they are better off trying to trade down and get more Day 2/early Day 3 picks. There are obvious depth needs on the DL and at free safety currently. They will also need a nickelback if Johnson leaves

This is where I am at also. Can't rely on the trade back but Sauce would be my hope

30 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Christian Watkins WR NDSU

I didn’t realize he ran a 4.28. 6’4 200lbs with that speed. Sign me up

Just now, redskinss said:

What do you guys think of Joe Schobert?

Just released by the steelers.

Only concern is that he played in a 3-4 so not sure how he would do as a pure MIKE. He’s young though and could provide depth. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 86 Snyder said:

Has anybody else noticed how PFTs pictures are not matching up with the posts?  For example, the latest story is the Bills released Cole Beasley and the picture is of Von Miller.  Every post is like that and it throws my brain off.  Annoying!!

It's always been like that for as long as I can remember buddy