Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

@Skinsinparadise another thing that is interesting regarding Wentz' contract ... is the way the team/FO has worded the acquisition. We'll learn more today obviously, but it sounds like they think he can be "they guy" ... and if he's NOT "the guy" then there's likely a new front office in place here.

So there's a lot of room to work with on this Wentz contract. A simple restructure frees up substantial cap space this year, at the expense of next year. I guess they feel they made the moves they had to make, and want to remain flexible in the cap arena next year, but is just curious they'd rather cut Flowers/Ion before re-doing the Wentz deal to lower the hit this year.

We have plenty of space now. No reason to redo Wentz. We can walk away after this season with no penalty at all if need be. And of he turns out to be the answer we have him locked up for 2 more years at a very respectable number. I am leaving Wentz's contract exactly how it is and working around it this year.

1 minute ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Mathieu is expected to secure a contract of near $15MM per season.  You have to factor that into the equation of whether or not you wish to acquire him.  Is he a $15MM/apy player?  I'm not sure any safety is currently worth that much money.

So we'd pay him what we would've been paying Landon Collins....??? Is that right?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

We got us another Bud swilling old school mean mutha in the middle of our oline...

Love this.  Good protection for Carson.  :)  He's a big man!  

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

29 minutes ago, Hazel-Ra said:

Yup... a quick peek at footballdb.com says we played GB 4 times during Favre's career and lost every one.

I don't think we ever got over on Peyton Manning. Got Brady twice though...but not in the one we really needed.

Spurrier beat Manning at least once:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/221027028

Remember listening to it on the radio because our power was off, was unexpected and right on time...

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

We have plenty of space now. No reason to redo Wentz. We can walk away after this season with no penalty at all if need be. And of he turns out to be the answer we have him locked up for 2 more years at a very respectable number. I am leaving Wentz's contract exactly how it is and working around it this year.

We reportedly have 17mil left with the McCain deal not yet deducted. Assume down to 14mil. 

The Collins credit isn’t included yet either. That’s 12mil to be added in June if he is in fact a June 1 transaction.

I think we’ll need to either convert some Wentz cash OR do a couple of conversations on salary/roster bonus on the bigger existing contracts.....IF we are targeting more FA or course, especially a higher end player.

Just now, Est.1974 said:

We reportedly have 17mil left with the McCain deal not yet deducted. Assume down to 14mil. 

The Collins credit isn’t included yet either. That’s 12mil to be added in June if he is in fact a June 1 transaction.

I think we’ll need to either convert some Wentz cash OR do a couple of conversations on salary/roster bonus on the bigger existing contracts.....IF we are targeting more FA or course, especially a higher end player.

Is it too late to deduct the McCain deal entirely?

• Haha 5

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Mathieu is expected to secure a contract of near $15MM per season.  You have to factor that into the equation of whether or not you wish to acquire him.  Is he a $15MM/apy player?  I'm not sure any safety is currently worth that much money.

Maybe that number will be dropping as the days pass. I will be curious to see if he and Wag cash in as expected. I dont think they will get what they wanted because if so they probably would have signed by now when the stupid money was flying around. We will see. Either guy would be awesome leaders.

Reminder that the salary cap is a needless worry to some...

The Saints have reworked a load of deals again, and they now have 30mil in cap space..

Just wait for it, they bring back their LT Armstead and maybe trade for Watson ?????

5 minutes ago, KDawg said:

Is it too late to deduct the McCain deal entirely?

Yeah that’s an odd one for me too.

We actually confirmed that deal very soon after it was announced that the Ravens got Williams. Maybe we missed out, maybe coincidence. Could be a cheap fallback pending an upgrade. Or they just like him more than most others do....

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Redwards said:

I get what you're saying.  I do.  Perhaps it comes down to a personal viewpoint, and I'm starting to feel silly going back and forth about this point. 😉 

But Ron was selling THIS Oline - the actual Oline that played and achieved the 6th ranking this past season - to prospective QBs as a major reason to join the team.  He went on and on for months about that.  He wasn't selling an O line with prospective backups that could move into a starting role, future FA pickups or draftees that hypothetically could achieve that 6th ranking.  That's a huge difference.  

Now, if one chooses to believe that behind closed doors, Ron was trying to sell a franchise QB on those hypothetical things, then that's fine.  But it would make Ron a lackluster salesman.  "We had the 6th ranked Oline this year but we're not going to have Scherff in all likelihood next season and Flowers is a good bet to be gone, too.  But don't worry, we'll still be able to keep that ranking, or better, with players that have zero chemistry with the other members of our Oline and haven't proven they can do it here.  But they will, don't worry."  

I'm not buying that was the sales pitch.  

Not trying to be argumentative here but who is he selling this to? This feels like manufactured indignation that you (again meaning metaphorically) are not privy to details of how they are building the team so it must be a bad plan since it does not align with how I see the team should be built. You want to take the words literally when they were never meant to be literal. I respect your right to your opinion I just could not disagree more. 

Hopefully we will get some answers soon. Looks like we are close to terms with Andrew Norwell. That would be a big get. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Love me some Lewis Cine from Georgia. draft sleeper I like is Yusuf Corker from Kentucky.

I like Cine as well. But he isnt a sleeper anymore after the combine he had. 

Edit: NVM. I see Corker is your sleeper. Lack of coffee on my end. Carry on. :)

Edited by clskinsfan

Just now, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Norwell better not cancel out the 3rd round comp pick from Scherff

Probably will downgrade it at the least. Honey Badgers would wipe it out.

Its an early 4th for all intents and purposes. It’s a great get when it fits your roster construction of course, but if the reason you lose out on it is because you’re adding real, impactful talent to the roster after you acquire a QB to win with? Hard to hate on that. 

• Like 2