Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

I like the Norwell signing. Sure he may not be as good as he was a few years ago but I’m sure the contract is less than a $10 mil cap hit for this year. I can see why they let Flowers go. 

He comes across as one of those nasty lineman that every team needs. One that says F it we are badder than you and we are gonna kick your a$$. We need that kind of attitude on our oline. 

Edited by skinsfan93
  • Like 1

I was kindof busy yesterday, so I didn't get a chance to post this about Matty I.

We have heard rumblings about discord in the DL room with the coaches and techniques the DL were being asked to play all the way back to Ron's first year.  Apparently it was different, and there was quite a bit of pushback.  And from VERY old reporting, Matt I. was one of the ones who was least convinced of the new way of doing things.  

That disconnect has been apparent most of the last 2 years.  I seem to remember Keim saying Matt was one of the ones who was more unhappy.  Jon Allen was also not fully bought-in early, but I think he started to buy in mid-year.  By that time Matt was on IR.

I get they need to find depth at DL now, but it could be they might have a more "bought in" group on the DL, and save some money in the mean time.  Remember, when Sweat and Young went out last year, the production didn't exactly drop, and the guys who replaced them were more bought in, even though they are significantly less physically gifted. 

So maybe they wanted to keep Matt, at the right price, but they also saw him as somewhat expendable.  It does kindof stink for Matt they didn't pull the trigger earlier, but situations changed, and sometimes that's the breaks.  

My biggest hope for this season is the DL lives up to expectations.  Young comes back healthy and explosive, and plays the way he's capable of playing, and Sweat is fully bought in as well.  This is the last year of that experiment.  If it doesn't work at a very high level this year, then they're going to have to move Sweat.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Conn said:

On the mobile twitter app there’s a button under an individual tweet, bottom right under the “likes”, that looks like a little box with an arrow pointing up out of it—if you click that, then select “copy link”, you can paste that here and it will populate the tweet onto the site 👍 

As confirmed in the official free agency press release, Andrew Norwell is not eligible to become a compensatory free agent. That's relevant for the Commanders, as they may try to protect a 3rd round 2023 comp pick for the departure of Brandon Scherff.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I thought someone had tweeted out the list of comp picks and said that we wouldn't be getting any this season, no matter who we sign in FA.

Losing Brandon Scherff this year for 2023 comp pick. 

Edited by RWJ

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

This offense could really hum with an early-pick WR.

McLaurin

Garrett Wilson/Chris Olave

Dyami Brown

Curtis Samuel

Cam Simms

Dax Milne

With that OL ... the RBs ... could be a fun offense.

You left out GIbson and McKissic.  Who both factor into both the running and passing game.

I think even without a early-pick WR, they have good weapons.  If we add another one, either through FA or the draft, that just adds to the weapons.  I'd be all for that.  As I posted in some thread somewhere, I'm so sick and tired of having an offense that has a ceiling of 20 ppg, and we're trying to slog out 17-15 victories.  Let's go for it a bit.  Increase the margin of error.  If you're going to fail, make it a big, fat, spectacular fail.  

The big questions are:

1. Can Wentz revert to form and play at a high level in the first year of Scott Turners offense?

2. Can Samuel stay healthy?  I can't stress how much of a key cog he in this operation.  If he's out again, it's a HUGE loss.

3. Can Scott Turner scheme it up and create an explosive offense, and call good games?

I like the Norwell signing to replace Flowers.  I think they will draft another OG, somewhere and then see who's the best fit at RG to replace Scherff.  My bet is on Schweitzer.  But they need to have at least 2 capable backup guards, one of which who can be the third string center, on the team.  Because they used ALL of those guys last year.  

They also desperately need a backup swing tackle.  I hope they re-sign Lucas. That would solve that need, and probably at a low dollar amount.  

Another thing about the Wentz deal ... if he does regain his 2017 form and ends up being a true Top 15 QB, we have him on a bargain contract in 2023 and 2024 that could easily be re-worked and extended. So if Wentz balls out, we make the playoffs, Ron gets extended ... Wentz likely get a new deal and we will all forget about the 3rd round (and 2nd round eventually) picks and the 2022 cap hit.

LT - Leno

LG - Norwell

C - Roullier

RG - Schweizer

RT - Cosmi

Depth: Charles, Larsen, Ismael

Still need to add a piece in the draft, but I like that starting lineup. Have to work on depth a bit. Bringing back Corn Lucas would help a lot for OT depth. Still wouldn't preclude adding a guy in the draft since I think Larsen and Ismael are expendable.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

I thought someone had tweeted out the list of comp picks and said that we wouldn't be getting any this season, no matter who we sign in FA.

Comp picks are determined by the previous years FA period.  So, nothing in 2022 off season effects 2022 Draft Comp Picks.  They were already announced.  The Commanders have none.  

The formula for comp pick is super, duper, double top secret and the NFL hasn't released it.  What we know is what factors into it, and mostly it's a balancing of contract value you lost vs. gained.  Last year they signed Fitzy, WJIII and Samuel to big-money contracts, so they were "winners" in FA, so they get no comp picks.

This year, they lost Scherff to a big money deal, and they likely will be "losers" in FA.  However, depending on who they sign, it MIGHT cancel out.  However, there is a provision (we think) that if a player signs a top 5% contract with another team, you automatically get a comp pick.  But again, nobody REALLY knows, I don't think. 

Al Galdi did a segment on this topic on his podcast sometime in the last few days, which is where most of my information is coming from.  

• Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Still need to add a piece in the draft, but I like that starting lineup. Have to work on depth a bit. Bringing back Corn Lucas would help a lot for OT depth. Still wouldn't preclude adding a guy in the draft since I think Larsen and Ismael are expendable.

I don't have any faith in Charles at the moment.  Some have said he played ok at Guard at times last year.  I saw him being pushed backwards on ice skates more than I would have liked. He had a few flashes, but I have memory of him just getting blown the eff up at other times.   I have predicted him as a post-training camp pick and a bust of a pick.  I hope I'm wrong.  I fear I'm not.

You're right, bringing back Lucas would be a great move to solidify the backup tackle spot.  

I think they need to draft at least a developmental OG and OT.  If Schweitzer starts, I do not want Charles being one snap away from playing meaningful snaps next year. I think that's probably a HUGE need.  I would be really surprised if they don't bring in numbers at Guard to see who's going to win the backup and third string job.  Draft, maybe a FA or two, and probably some UDFAs.  

5 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Really good presser from Wentz. Owned his poor play at the end of last season. Humble but excited. Exactly what you want to see from your starting QB. Not saying that means squat on the field. But I liked what I saw. 

Winning a press conference does absolutely nothing.  

LOSING a press conference can be debilitating, at least for a while.  "Maroon and Black."  "Happy Thanksgiving."  "Winning off the field."  "We're close."  All of these pressers brought immediate ridicule. Rightfully so.  

It's better if that doesn't happen.  I haven't seen the presser, but it seems to me it didn't happen with Wentz.  

So he at least held serve.

59 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Not trying to be argumentative here but who is he selling this to? This feels like manufactured indignation that you (again meaning metaphorically) are not privy to details of how they are building the team so it must be a bad plan since it does not align with how I see the team should be built. You want to take the words literally when they were never meant to be literal. I respect your right to your opinion I just could not disagree more. 

Hopefully we will get some answers soon. Looks like we are close to terms with Andrew Norwell. That would be a big get. 

I'm not trying to be argumentative either.  This is just a board where fans are supposed to spitball opinions back and forth, and they aren't always going to be in sync.  Some fans have a hard time with different takes (not saying you!) and result to insults and all kinds of juvenile/infantile responses, but I can't relate to that.  You'll never get that from me.  I'd like to think we're all well-adjusted grown ups here respecting each other while talking about one of our passions.  I mean...it's just freaking football, right?  😆 

But, it's with discussions like these that I absolutely hate fans not being able to be face-to-face.   My whole demeanor is totally chill, I promise.  

I'll just try to explain my viewpoint on what you were asking and then I'll let it go.  You asked, so the least I can do is give you the courtesy of a response, even if you don't find that you agree with that response.

Ok...so for whom was Ron selling this to?  According to Ron himself: every prospective QB.  He was on various media outlets for months laying this down.  When specifically asked what his sales pitch to QBs was going to be - what were the attributes that his team had that would make a QB want to come here, he touted the 1000 yard WR and RB and then the 6th overall ranking of the Oline and having that Oline able to protect the QB.  

Now, yes, when Ron declares this as a part of his self-professed selling point, then I do take that literally.  As in, I am telling you (QB) that I have the 6th best O line and I can protect you with it.  If I were a QB he's saying this to, then I would and should take that literally, especially if this guy is going to be my coach. 

Now, personally, I've played football, coached it and been a fan of the Skins (I refuse to call them by their new name) damn near my entire 47 years of life.  Long enough to clearly remember the good old days.  This doesn't in any way make me a maven of the sport or any more important or necessarily knowledgable than anyone else here, for sure.   But I do know football.   I'm being genuine when I say that just because a team is being constructed in a manner that I may not approve of doesn't all of a sudden make me trounce that method and declare it a failure.  The method has to be given a fair chance to bear fruit.  Lots of ways to build a winner, and all that.  (Me frowning upon the method certainly will make me question it, but that and declaring it a failure are two wildly different things) I'm a believer in results.  The process will more often than not, vary.  Winning, in the end, (and I define "winning" in this sport by winning a Super Bowl.  Not appearing in one - winning one) is the only result that matters.  

Alright...enough.  It's a moot point; we have Wentz now and have to make the best of it.  Hope this helped to clarify things a bit even if you aren't agreeing.  All good, brother.  On to the next episode in the life of a football fan.  And, yes, Norwell does seem like a good signing.  I hope he can stay healthy.  I don't know anything about his injury history but he's nasty, which I like up front. 👍

Edited by Redwards
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Lucas needs brought back and we need to draft a versatile IOL. Hopefully we can do enough in FA from now on to open up the draft in that respect for us.

I think he is realizing he won’t get a starting role. He is going to get top of the line backup OL money and I’d take him at that. Maybe Moses’s $5M AAV is a good comp

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MartinC said:

I stopped listening to JPs podcast - and I barely notice his tweets anymore. Don’t care for what he’s becoming.

I still listen to the podcast, thought it's getting harder.  I thought they used to have a really good mix of "points of view" with JP as the "straight guy" who had the information, Mitch as the overly bullish hard-core fan with an obsession on the OL, and Pete as the angsty millennial.  

Somehow, now Mitch believes they could get similar play out of TH as any of the other FA QBs, and has gone on several tirades that they could just use him as a stop gap to a rookie.  They all killed the Wentz trade.  At least hey acknowledged Wentz was a better QB than TH. But Mitch was trying to say "only a little bit."  JP has turned into a rabble rouser (you can see the BMitch influence there), and Pete is still angsty, but there's nothing to counter-balance it, it's turned into just annoying.

I still find them humorous, so I still listen, but they are down in the order.  They used to be first, now it's Keim, Standig, Sheehan (who's also kindof gone off the deep end), and replays of Bram's radio show.  

I really like Bram's show.  I completely get that he's the "voice of the team" but he won't hesitate to crush them when they deserve it.  BUT I think he reserves crushing them FOR when they deserve it, rather than ALL THE GODDAMN TIME.  He is pissed he hasn't gotten any Commanders merch from Julie and the team, and that's a pretty funny bit.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sebestian said:

Agents are ……….. you know

Completely in it for themselves?  Yeah. You know.  

4 minutes ago, method man said:

I think he is realizing he won’t get a starting role. He is going to get top of the line backup OL money and I’d take him at that. Maybe Moses’s $5M AAV is a good comp

He absolutely needed to test the market. 

However, if I'm Martin, Marty, Ron or any other their other folks, I am on the phone with his agent every hour trying to get him to come back for backup money.  I'd even overpay him a bit.  He solves so many depth problems.  If you have to replace him, they're going to have to sign and draft multiple guys to figure out who can play.  

3 minutes ago, HigSkin said:

Perhaps Flowers comes back if he doesn't generate the interest?

I think that ship has finally sailed or the last time.  They already signed his replacement.  I don't think he's ever played on the right side.  And they seem to have an in-house starting solution in Schweitzer and backup (for now) in Charles.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I know the draft is loaded at WR, but there really are a host of very good players left on the FA market. Jax killed that game for everyone.

They should wait until post draft to sign a guy. I understand the pickings are slim but no loss of comp picks if you wait until then

5 minutes ago, method man said:

They should wait until post draft to sign a guy. I understand the pickings are slim but no loss of comp picks if you wait until then

Yeah the comp pick period ends by then. Depends if they plan to blow the comp pick before then. If they go for the Honey Badger then comp picks are really a moot point thereafter.

I still think our draft choice is between:

Sauce, Stingley, Jordan Davis, Drake London, Kyle Hamilton.

In order: Hamilton, Davis, London, Sauce, Stingley for me.

FA receivers won't help us much with what's left. A young big body pass catcher who can be dynamic can. Davis and Hamilton are game changers. Period. 

• Like 3