Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

27 minutes ago, Renegade7 said:

That's exactly what it looks like.

Mad respect for holding our oline together with marshmallows and toothpicks the last couple years.

But that isn't a plan.

And if that is the plan going forward because we've been getting away with it, it's a recipe for getting Wentz killed.

Don't you feel like you should wait and see if we sign any OL before assuming it’ll be a duct tape and paper clip solution? They’ve consistently been successful in supplying a good offensive line from lesser parts, true—and if they feel that’s an edge they have that can be exploited to spend more elsewhere, I’m inclined to see if they’re right. But that’s also setting aside the fact that they could still sign an actual starter long term at a value they’re comfortable with, which they were unable to do with Flowers. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

We used to be great at it.

No we weren’t. We could make room for any big signing we wanted, sure, but we had very top-heavy rosters with awful depth that injuries could decimate. It was not smart or great lol. We absolutely suffered for it 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Conn said:

No we weren’t. We could make room for any big signing we wanted, sure, but we had very top-heavy rosters with awful depth that injuries could decimate. It was not smart or great lol. We absolutely suffered for it 

No doubt.

I read that comment and was like, umm we were?

Then again, I have my suspicions about who that poster is, and it would be might on brand to allude that Bruce was good at it.  🤣

• Like 1

I never said we spent wisely, but the first 10 years we spent plenty and were never in cap hell

1 minute ago, sebestian said:

I gotta be nuts.  I have the laptop on es.  I have my phone on bleacher report and I am looking back and forth trying to watch the Nets vs mavericks game.  What is wrong with me, LOL

Well, you are watching the nets vs mavs game.....

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, CapsSkins said:

You don't need to make a sales pitch when you trade for a guy without a No-Trade Clause. 😂

No...but that's irrelevant to the point.  He touts this great O line for months like a proud papa, as if that's something the incoming QB can absolutely count on...then promptly loses two of five players.  "Everything we need is in this room!"  One of Ron's favorite postgame lines.    Apparently not.  

2 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I never said we spent wisely, but the first 10 years we spent plenty and were never in cap hell

Yes, we were. We signed big on the top of our roster and had horrible depth because of it, and the inability to sign our own (few) homegrown guys. That’s cap hell. It doesn’t just mean that you have to do rounds of deep cuts every year. We absolutely experienced the downsides of spending the cap that way. 

Don't you feel like you should wait and see if we sign any OL before assuming it’ll be a duct tape and paper clip solution? They’ve consistently been successful in supplying a good offensive line from lesser parts, true—and if they feel that’s an edge they have that can be exploited to spend more elsewhere, I’m inclined to see if they’re right. But that’s also setting aside the fact that they could still sign an actual starter long term at a value they’re comfortable with, which they were unable to do with Flowers. 

I jus wish I knew what problem they saw with Flowers the player or the contract.

Didn't Flowers only miss one game last year and it was due to COVID?  He was very much a rock in an ocean of Flux last year.

This gamble makes me uncomfortable at best, I get giving them a chance, but haven't we seen them walk into seasons with patch work olines before and seen it backfire, too? That's different then the oline becoming patchwork during the season.

Guess I shouldn't be surprised we haven't resigned Lucas yet.  We jus talked yesterday about being optimistic while realistic, I want this to work while still having door open for constructive criticism and yea, some venting as well.

1 minute ago, Redwards said:

No...but that's irrelevant to the point.  He touts this great O line for months like a proud papa, as if that's something the incoming QB can absolutely count on...then promptly loses two of five players.  "Everything we need is in this room!"  One of Ron's favorite postgame lines.    Apparently not.  

Don't talk to me about the roster till training camp. We're in the first inning of free agency. Let's see where we're at when the dust settles.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

No doubt.

I read that comment and was like, umm we were?

Then again, I have my suspicions about who that poster is, and it would be might on brand to allude that Bruce was good at it.  🤣

I'm not the guy you're thinking of because I have no love for "winning off the field" whatsoever :) 

3 minutes ago, mhd24 said:

I wonder if we sign Hooper?  However, he may not want to come here.  Depends on how Logan's rehab is going.  We all know the whole staff loves Bates.

Everyone is sleeping on the leagues best kept secret.....Samis Reyes. 

What a beast.....get him the ball.

• Like 2

Flowers just doesn’t make sense to me. He’s young, in his prime (maybe getting better really) and durable. It was my understanding we easily could have restructured/extended his contract to minimize the cap hit this year. And it made sense to me given he’s only 27. 

That one was just extremely unexpected. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

Norwell, Trai Turner, Darryl Williams are all solid IOL that were with Ron in Carolina that are currently free agents and likely on the cheaper side. Curious to see which one of them is our new starting LG or RG (if Charles/Schweizer kick left).

Also assume we draft a Guard now, not sure when.

So you let a younger player who was durable and played well go to sign older players that played for you in CAR? Makes no sense. He should have been a candidate for an extension.