Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

13 hours ago, NickyJ said:

At what point does the team just sign anyone who isn't Nick Martin at center? How much worse does a player need to be to get cut? You could probably sign a UDFA who didn't even make it through training camp and you wouldn't be any worse off. Not being able to block is bad enough. If your center can't snap, you can't really call him a center.

Keith Ismael is sitting on SF’s practice squad. I would go sign him and cut Martin today

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Riggodrill44 said:

No it doesn’t. Just because you want to believe that, I don’t see it that way. Ron is doing all of this.

Want to believe what?

I’ve been observing the actions of Dan Snyder and the results of everyone he’s hired since he took ownership.  I’ve watched all of them with the exception of Zorn enter Washington with a solid reputation only to watch it deteriorate quickly, some faster than others. 

I’ve also watched fans of this team convince themselves time and time and time again, that it will all be different this time.  Dan is going to be hands off, he will have zero impact on anything, he will spend bazillions of dollars to be great, and on and on and on.  This never ends up true.  Ever.  

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Want to believe what?

I’ve been observing the actions of Dan Snyder and the results of everyone he’s hired since he took ownership.  I’ve watched all of them with the exception of Zorn enter Washington with a solid reputation only to watch it deteriorate quickly, some faster than others. 

I’ve also watched fans of this team convince themselves time and time and time again, that it will all be different this time.  Dan is going to be hands off, he will have zero impact on anything, he will spend bazillions of dollars to be great, and on and on and on.  This never ends up true.  Ever.  

That’s all true, doesn’t mean that Ron , all by himself, doesn’t have a freaking clue about running a football team.

Why can’t both takes be true?

1 minute ago, Riggodrill44 said:

That’s all true, doesn’t mean that Ron , all by himself, doesn’t have a freaking clue about running a football team.

Why can’t both takes be true?

Dude is head coach, GM, Chief drama explainer,  Dan defender, team name, logo and uniform strategist, and whatever other jobs he’s had here, all while defeating cancer.  It’s not even been a full 3 years.

I’m no Rivera apologist.  He accepted the gig and he’s collecting the paycheck, it is what it is.

But I’m on record along with many others saying that giving any one man all the power he has in conjunction with all of the other drama attached to this franchise is destined to fail.  Of course we wanted to believe and hope for the best because Rivera seems like a good dude.

I’m also not foolish enough to believe that he hasn’t been saddled with Dan’s BS.  It almost seems personal to you that it all be about Rivera and how all this is is his problem he made on his own and yadda yadda.  I’d say it’s wierd but I’ve watched this cycle with every head coach that has ever coached here.  Its Snyderitis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Riggodrill44 said:

No it doesn’t. It’s you making an argument that we don’t have money to sign guys. Not only that, the “I have option “ guys refuse to sign here because our money isn’t green.

I’ve always said, Ron is choosing not to renegotiate any contract that pushes money into future cap space. Then he does it for our broken center. Someone needs to stop him!

You and a few other posters are going to die on the hill that Dan is cheap/ broke, while he is on vacation on his mega yacht. 

Ya, you aren’t understanding the conversation I am trying to have with you so there is no conversation to have. Enjoy your day.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Dude is head coach, GM, Chief drama explainer,  Dan defender, team name, logo and uniform strategist, and whatever other jobs he’s had here, all while defeating cancer.  It’s not even been a full 3 years.

I’m no Rivera apologist.  He accepted the gig and he’s collecting the paycheck, it is what it is.

But I’m on record along with many others saying that giving any one man all the power he has in conjunction with all of the other drama attached to this franchise is destined to fail.  Of course we wanted to believe and hope for the best because Rivera seems like a good dude.

I’m also not foolish enough to believe that he hasn’t been saddled with Dan’s BS.  It almost seems personal to you that it all be about Rivera and how all this is is his problem he made on his own and yadda yadda.  I’d say it’s wierd but I’ve watched this cycle with every head coach that has ever coached here.  Its Snyderitis.

I’ve never said Dan hasn’t played his part but Ron is picking the groceries and they are past expiration date, and he’s cooking with it. That’s RON!

• Thanks 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

49 minutes ago, method man said:

@FootballZombieGive me some hope…if they release Wentz, WJ3 and Fuller, how much cap room will that leave them this offseason (accounting for the estimated yoy increase in cap)?

Assuming they draft a rookie QB, will that give them enough room to resign Payne, Sweat, Curl and also get a legit starting lineman and corner in free agency?

Wentz by himself would be 26 Mil

WJ3 would be a 9 Mil dead cap hit and a 6.5 Mil savings

Fuller would be a 3 Mil Dead cap and a 8.5 Mil savings

We are currently 9 Mil under 2023 estimated cap (could change and likely get a bit more space)

That gives us 50 Mil to play w/ not counting rookies and P squad. A really high end Rookie QB will be 6 Mil year 1.

Important to note that any deal we give out will almost assuredly start low, So a new contract for Payne would not have a monumental early impact.

Sweat and Curl are under contract thru 2023, so unless you want to move some of there cap hit forward, their huge money does not have to kick in right away. You probably would not have massive cap hit numbers on either of those deals until 2025. (Similar to J Allen's deal 2021=7mil 2022=9.5mil 2023=21mil or Terry's 2022=7mil 2023=10Mil 2024=24mil)

Furthermore, Sweat is slated to make 11 Mil next year, and if he gets a new deal it will have a first year hit lower than that, saving a few million. I wont factor that into my calculations, but its good to know that reworking Sweat will probably save cap space in year 1.

Between a high end rookie QB, Sweat, Curl n Payne deals that would leave you w/ about 20 Mil left  in 2023. You can make some FA moves with that kind of cash, but w/o other moves that money needs to span the rest of your roster so you are not in "go crazy" mode. Maybe one swing at an impact guy then some targeted acquisitions.

This is just looking at pure cut scenarios.

If they designate WJ3 a post June 1 cut and split his dead cap cost across years, he will open up 12.5 Mil in 2023. I could see that as a move. Then you have some scratch to play with.

So yeah, there is a scenario where they "could" do what you described and make it fit financially. At least in the short term. When Payne, Curl and Sweat's big money kick in, somebody may have to go tho, but for 2023 n 2024 your good.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 10/10/2022 at 11:15 AM, Est.1974 said:

Signing anyone at this stage is a complete waste of time. We should be moving players out if we can, even for day 3 picks, before the trade deadline.

From a fan perspective (or even a GM’s perspective), yes, but RR still has to try to win this year.  In his shoes, I’d be looking at PS olineman from teams with strong olines and similar blocking schemes in the hopes you could eventually cobble together a halfway decent oline.  Dump Trai Turner and make sure to land a guy that can compete with Martin (preferably with G/C flex).

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

From a fan perspective (or even a GM’s perspective), yes, but RR still has to try to win this year.  In his shoes, I’d be looking at PS olineman from teams with strong olines and similar blocking schemes in the hopes you could eventually cobble together a halfway decent oline.  Dump Trai Turner and make sure to land a guy that can compete with Martin (preferably with G/C flex).

This should be what we are doing. If a team has OL on their PS we should be poaching. Trai Turner is sunk cost.

• Thumb up 1

16 hours ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Bye Felicia.  I'd trade his ass for a ham sandwich and a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos.  

Based on his play and cap hit, not sure we'd be able to get much more

Remember when he was a one their big targeted signings to replace Darby ☹️

13 minutes ago, DWinzit said:

Based on his play and cap hit, not sure we'd be able to get much more

Remember when he was a one their big targeted signings to replace Darby ☹️

I think as a post 6/1 trade we’d get about 8mil back in current year space, but have 9mil dead cap next year.

Any acquiring team likely pays up the remaining 2022 salary with no future guaranteed money.

Again, not 100% sure but that’s how it appears to me.

16 hours ago, ColonialWBSkinsFan said:

Bye Felicia.  I'd trade his ass for a ham sandwich and a bag of Cool Ranch Doritos.  

Got 2024 7th rounder written all over it.

• Like 1

On 10/10/2022 at 11:07 AM, FootballZombie said:

Wentz by himself would be 26 Mil

WJ3 would be a 9 Mil dead cap hit and a 6.5 Mil savings

Fuller would be a 3 Mil Dead cap and a 8.5 Mil savings

We are currently 9 Mil under 2023 estimated cap (could change and likely get a bit more space)

That gives us 50 Mil to play w/ not counting rookies and P squad. A really high end Rookie QB will be 6 Mil year 1.

Important to note that any deal we give out will almost assuredly start low, So a new contract for Payne would not have a monumental early impact.

Sweat and Curl are under contract thru 2023, so unless you want to move some of there cap hit forward, their huge money does not have to kick in right away. You probably would not have massive cap hit numbers on either of those deals until 2025. (Similar to J Allen's deal 2021=7mil 2022=9.5mil 2023=21mil or Terry's 2022=7mil 2023=10Mil 2024=24mil)

Furthermore, Sweat is slated to make 11 Mil next year, and if he gets a new deal it will have a first year hit lower than that, saving a few million. I wont factor that into my calculations, but its good to know that reworking Sweat will probably save cap space in year 1.

Between a high end rookie QB, Sweat, Curl n Payne deals that would leave you w/ about 20 Mil left  in 2023. You can make some FA moves with that kind of cash, but w/o other moves that money needs to span the rest of your roster so you are not in "go crazy" mode. Maybe one swing at an impact guy then some targeted acquisitions.

This is just looking at pure cut scenarios.

If they designate WJ3 a post June 1 cut and split his dead cap cost across years, he will open up 12.5 Mil in 2023. I could see that as a move. Then you have some scratch to play with.

So yeah, there is a scenario where they "could" do what you described and make it fit financially. At least in the short term. When Payne, Curl and Sweat's big money kick in, somebody may have to go tho, but for 2023 n 2024 your good.

Thanks for this breakdown. In addition to this, I can see Logan getting cut and there may be savings there.

One big name outside FA like a CB that fits the next group’s system would be great. However, for the most part, we would need a strong draft and the strategy we used with the 2020 FA class applied here (scouting driven signings of undervalued talent to shorter term deals)

A lesson we could remember in the future. DB production is extremely volatile except for the top few guys at any time. Buy low, bet on traits, cut bait if it doesn’t work out, prosper. We had the formula down with Darby. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Conn said:

A lesson we could remember in the future. DB production is extremely volatile except for the top few guys at any time. Buy low, bet on traits, cut bait if it doesn’t work out, prosper. We had the formula down with Darby. 

Love this and couldn’t agree more. A huge reason why I want to keep the entire Dline together or at least 3 of the 4. 

• Like 1