Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

On 10/21/2022 at 9:24 PM, skinfan2k said:

they did this to themselves.  You never invest this much into 1 position 

And there was plenty of time to address this if there was any kind of planning. You figure out who to keep, make a move when your asset has the mist value, maybe lock in some cost effective options early (Ionnadis, Settle). 

But because the priority is always short term, the team was better off for 2021 with all the DTs kept, so that 7-10 record was more important than any long-term plan. As it's been for a quarter century. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Conn said:

Holy crap they’re fully going for it 

Eagles aren't losing a single game this season. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a few more moves, either. Ro Smith, Kareem Hunt.

And they're going to have a top 5 pick next year that they can trade to a QB desperate team to recoup every thing they trade away now.

Philly ****es!  :ols:

• Sad 1
  • Thumb down 1

Eagles stocking up and fortifying their d-line for a Super Bowl run...

"The Eagles are trading for Bears pass rusher Robert Quinn, a league official with knowledge of the deal but not authorized to speak publicly confirmed to The Athletic.

The Bears will receive a fourth-round pick in exchange for Quinn.

Quinn has started all seven games for Chicago this season and has logged eight tackles and a sack. The three-time Pro Bowler is coming off one of the best seasons of his career. Quinn earned All-Pro honors in 2021 after posting 18 1/2 sacks, 17 tackles for loss and four forced fumbles.

Philadelphia boosts its already strong defense by adding Quinn, as he joins an Eagles team that is undefeated (6-0) and currently allowing a league-low passer rating of 66 to opposing quarterbacks.

Bears linebacker Roquan Smith was meeting with members of the media when news of the deal first broke. Smith became emotional when asked about Quinn reportedly getting traded.

“I have a great deal of respect for that guy,” he said."

Edited by CommanderInTheRye

5 minutes ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Eagles gave up a lot for a 32 year old that has this change from last season:

2021 - 18.5 sacks and 22 QB hits in 16 games

2022 - 1 sack and 3 QB hits in 7 games

I guess stats don't tell the whole story if the Eagles still want him.

They can cut him clean after this season and the Bears are paying most of his contract this year, so basically for a 4rth rounder Riddick is now attacking behind Quinn.  

2 hours ago, Koolblue13 said:

Eagles aren't losing a single game this season. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a few more moves, either. Ro Smith, Kareem Hunt.

And they're going to have a top 5 pick next year that they can trade to a QB desperate team to recoup every thing they trade away now.

Philly ****es!  :ols:

They will lose one game this season either game 16 or 17 when they rest everyone for the super bowl run

14 minutes ago, ultravin said:

i don't understand how the eagles can afford Quinn's cap rate.  are the bears keeping his salary cap in exchange for a pick?

It's a Wentz like deal where they can get out of it next season and I think the Bears are paying most of it this year.

Edited by Koolblue13
  • Thumb down 3

The thing that bugs me a lot is Philly has 60+ Million in dead cap. We have 8. You can't tell that looking at the two teams.

Sometimes you gotta be willing to take a hit to make a move (maybe not 60 Mil of a hit but a hit none the less) if a player on your roster isn't the guy. We ride even poor fits like we are driving a car that is past E, waiting for the least hurtful time to rip off the band-aid, ignoring the fact the the wound is infected.

We are archaic in how we operate our player contracts. Gotta do a better job keeping w/ the times. Same deal with keeping specific coaches on this staff past the point of blatantly obvious troubles. Being too loyal can hurt.

Edited by FootballZombie
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

The thing that bugs me a lot is Philly has 60+ Million in dead cap. We have 8. You can't tell that looking at the two teams.

Sometimes you gotta be willing to take a hit to make a move (maybe not 60 Mil of a hit but a hit none the less) if a player on your roster isn't the guy. We ride even poor fits like we are driving a car that is past E, waiting for the least hurtful time to rip off the band-aid, ignoring the fact the the wound is infected.

We are archaic in how we operate our player contracts. Gotta do a better job keeping w/ the times. Same deal with keeping specific coaches on this staff past the point of blatantly obvious troubles. Being too loyal can hurt.

A big piece of it is Snyder. He is tighter on cash and can’t afford to eat tons of dead cap. 

25% of our utilised cap is currently sat on either IR or PUP.

We don’t really have any significant impending FA in 2023. Get the Wentz and WJ3 deals off the books and we’ll likely end up with 40mil in cap space.

Feels like drafting a QB to throw in the mix will be inevitable. If we lose a third for Wentz, but gain the comp pick for Scherff we will broadly have a full house of picks. We’re getting a comp 7th I think as well.

Just like last year we’ll need a number of key FA acquisitions. Not sure we are in a position to snag them though. 

15 hours ago, Always A Commander Never A Captain said:

Eagles gave up a lot for a 32 year old that has this change from last season:

2021 - 18.5 sacks and 22 QB hits in 16 games

2022 - 1 sack and 3 QB hits in 7 games

I guess stats don't tell the whole story if the Eagles still want him.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

I believe I heard the FO/Rivera mention during the off-season that if Wentz was the guy, they'd rework contracts for oodles of cap room and go all in next season.

I'm sure we'll be adding to dead cap next off-season by jettisoning WJ3, maybe Logan Thomas, maybe Roullier. The latter two being health and age.

• Like 1