Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

1 hour ago, Conn said:

How could there be any remaining questions as to whether letting Settle and Ion go was the right move? They’re being outperformed by all the younger, cheaper alternatives that replaced them as rotational pieces and the DL is playing better than ever. Maybe Settle and Ion would have also played better with the current coaches and DB play, sure—but the current guys are still younger and cheaper. 

Clearly this was a series of moves that worked out, the coaching staff it turns out has a handle on the DL depth decisions. Can’t question that now. 

The OL is another thing entirely. They can take plenty of criticism for that, that’s fair. 

Mainly because those guys were let go and no one was signed in FA. And you don’t know who/when is going to be available in the draft. We got Mathis and then lucked into Ridgeway. It’s fair to say none of us thought Toohill/JSW would be playing so well. Maybe the coaches did or maybe they didn’t. 

So while we are all elated that it’s working as well as it is, the process seems a little lucky to me. If you’d told us all that we’d draft a guy in the second but he’d miss basically the whole season and we’d have to rely on a castoff fifth rounder AND that chase wouldn’t play til this late we’d all have said our defense would be trash again before the season. 

Results are great, but we’ve definitely had plenty of luck in how well it all panned out and how much so many guys have grown. 

3 hours ago, Conn said:

How could there be any remaining questions as to whether letting Settle and Ion go was the right move? They’re being outperformed by all the younger, cheaper alternatives that replaced them as rotational pieces and the DL is playing better than ever. Maybe Settle and Ion would have also played better with the current coaches and DB play, sure—but the current guys are still younger and cheaper. 

Clearly this was a series of moves that worked out, the coaching staff it turns out has a handle on the DL depth decisions. Can’t question that now. 

The OL is another thing entirely. They can take plenty of criticism for that, that’s fair. 

Goodness, I rechecked my post and realized it was poorly written.  Basically, I like the idea of getting younger and less expensive at DT.  I’m not sure cutting Io for Wentz was the right move (if that was the reason), but that’s more so because Wentz hasn’t worked out.  Of course, I think it’s also fair to say the backup DTs haven’t really been tested - Allen and Payne have played a crazy number of snaps.  Also fair to say we aren’t missing Settle considering his lack of production.  I haven’t followed Io.

I always prefer it when we have some kind of succession plan.  My assumption was Wise was a big part of that, but he ain’t playing much.  If the hope was the draft would bring the answer, well… I don’t love that approach, but it happens.  Similar feel about hoping to land a player via roster cuts.  

• Like 1

You guys are right that the specifics of which players we filled the roster spots with couldn’t be known at the time, but I’m more talking about the process being correct—to me the process behind moving on from those guys was: these more expensive vets are replacement-level, so we trust ourselves to replace them with cheaper and younger guys with unknown upside. And that process played out in our favor. 

• Like 2
  • Thumb up 2

9 hours ago, moondog said:

Mainly because those guys were let go and no one was signed in FA. And you don’t know who/when is going to be available in the draft. We got Mathis and then lucked into Ridgeway. It’s fair to say none of us thought Toohill/JSW would be playing so well. Maybe the coaches did or maybe they didn’t. 

So while we are all elated that it’s working as well as it is, the process seems a little lucky to me. If you’d told us all that we’d draft a guy in the second but he’d miss basically the whole season and we’d have to rely on a castoff fifth rounder AND that chase wouldn’t play til this late we’d all have said our defense would be trash again before the season. 

Results are great, but we’ve definitely had plenty of luck in how well it all panned out and how much so many guys have grown. 

It didn't feel like luck to me.  Though I think in an ideal world, they actually would have kept Settle.  I think they liked him as a DT that didn't play very much.  I think they wanted to jettison Ion because he was expensive and clashed with coaches.  And wasn't playing at a very high level. 

Settle, I lay blame it appears as thought they couldn't do 2 things at once: concentrate on the QB and keep track of their players.  It seems as though they were completely taken by surprise when Settle and McKissic both signed contracts.  So, I place blame there.  

However, I also don't think they cared that Settle was going to go elsewhere, and Settle wanted to go somewhere which gave him more of an opportunity to play.  I don't think he was coming back here with Allen and Payne entrenched as starters one way or the other.  

The plan was certainly they wanted to draft a guy.  And to the "you don't know who is available in the draft" comment, no, not exactly.  But my guess is they knew there were 2-4 guys they thought they could get in the 2nd - 4th rounds, and were comfortable saying they would target one of them.  I know, I know, all the draftniks will scream BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE!!! at that, and Thor Nystrom will scream his head off that the value wasn't there in the second, and I get all that.  Except, none of them really know anything about anything, and Thor is especially idiotic.  

And let's not confuse the DE situation with the DT situation.  They were not going to make a move with JSW, Toohill, Toney, and others on off-season roster who played well last year with Young slated to come off IR at some point during the year.  

On the DT front, I think they looked at it as addition by subtraction, they signed Obada who can play inside and outside, they knew they were gong to draft a guy, and they already had their starters.

The big difference between the DL and the OL is on the DL, they were messing around with the primary and secondary backup spots with 2 entrenched starters returning.  

With the OL, they were replacing 2 starters, both centers coming off of IR (Rouiller and Larsen), and the primary backup also coming off of IR (Schweitzer.)  Hindsight being 20/20, I think they should have just kept Flowers so they had less churn on the line, and signed Norwell and Turner.  But again, the difference was on the OL they were replacing starters.  On the DL they were placing backups, and in Settle in particular, a backup who didn't play and wasn't that good.  

7 hours ago, skinny21 said:

Goodness, I rechecked my post and realized it was poorly written.  Basically, I like the idea of getting younger and less expensive at DT.  I’m not sure cutting Io for Wentz was the right move (if that was the reason), but that’s more so because Wentz hasn’t worked out.

Nobody was cut for Wentz.  They released guys for cap reasons, but they have more than $40m of cap room going into the off-season.  They had more than enough cap room to do literally anything they wanted to.  

• Thumb up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like Baker Mayfield is being released...waiver claim?

I would have taken him over Wentz this offseason, but the timing was off. 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/panthers-to-release-baker-mayfield-after-seven-games-with-team-former-no-1-overall-pick-subject-to-waivers/#:~:text=The Carolina Panthers are moving,will be subject to waivers.

Edited by formerly4skins

With Larsen on crutches and in a brace after the game, as well as Cosmi with an ankle injury, I don't like our interior line situation. Nick Martin is not the answer. Last year, Keith Ismael did an okay job down the stretch. He would probably do a better job than Martin. He knows our offense, and he's on the 49ers practice squad now. I'd give some very serious thought to signing him to our active roster.

• Like 3

If Larsen can't go, I'm assuming Schweitzer will be in at Center, which assumes that RG will be played by  Charles if Turner and Cosmi remain injured. I'm suggesting that we sign Ismael as insurance for Schweitzer in case he goes down or is needed to play G.

6 minutes ago, MrJL said:

the Panthers actually waived Mayfield? 

I don't see him as being done.  I think someone signs him

Fantastic buy low opportunity on a player who’s been competent at the QB position in the past. Love the value of this kind of player at this moment in time. You also get a QB who’ll be grateful for the opportunity unless he’s a complete knucklehead, which is always possible… though, unlikely.

Often times, teams and fans will get behind buying high in this level of player and that player flames out after taking up 8-13% of the cap for 1-3 years. 

Reverse engineer this process with this level of QB. 

Edited by wit33

3 hours ago, wit33 said:

Fantastic buy low opportunity on a player who’s been competent at the QB position in the past. Love the value of this kind of player at this moment in time. You also get a QB who’ll be grateful for the opportunity unless he’s a complete knucklehead, which is always possible… though, unlikely.

Often times, teams and fans will get behind buying high in this level of player and that player flames out after taking up 8-13% of the cap for 1-3 years. 

Reverse engineer this process with this level of QB. 

If for some ungodly reason we don't manage to get a QB in the draft then by all means bring him into camp on a prove it deal.

1 hour ago, tmandoug1 said:

If for some ungodly reason we don't manage to get a QB in the draft then by all means bring him into camp on a prove it deal.

The only pause for me is if he’s not a great locker room guy. Need the QB to be great in the locker room, especially ones who are attempting to reestablish themselves. I don’t know enough about him as a dude to make an opinion. 

I view the QB position like the Nasdaq, if the elasticity is extreme either way I want to know and be on the right side of value. 

13 minutes ago, CommanderInTheRye said:

image.png.8dde2ce100a5cc9b615cdaa01b2470bf.png

Someone somewhere on the west coast is thinking...

"Call me, Ishmael."

Moby Dick

Though Ismael may not be Ishmael, Keith was our 5th round draft choice. In any case "This whole book [season?] is but a draught [draft]-- nay, but the draught of a draught--Oh, Time, Strength, Cash, and patience." Last sentence of Chapter 32 ("Cetology") MD (had to do it). Now, I will leave quietly.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, FootballZombie said:

Dang we have been absolutely decimated at C this year.

Gotta be much more prepared for this next season especially since all our C's are coming off injury... again.

Need to draft a young sturdy guy and make Roullier take a paycut

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, method man said:

Need to draft a young sturdy guy and make Roullier take a paycut

Dotson is good but we might have effed up not drafting Tyler Linderbaum who might already be a Pro Bowl C as a rookie for Baltimore.

I have no regrets though since Dotson has both a game winning and game tying TD this year.