Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

11 minutes ago, redskin301 said:

Woods for. A 6th would have been great 

It would also require us to take on his 4 year 60 mil dollar contract (I believe, not 100% on the exact numbers).  I'd pass.  Rather get a wr in the draft on that cheaper contract.

Edited by KillBill26
  • Like 7
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

It was for a 6th rd pick next year 2023. Would have been a very savvy move to secure our number 2 receiver. The injury may have kept us from pulling that trigger. 

Rams may also have preferred sending him to the AFC.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, The Sean and Laron show said:

Regarding Wagner, why on earth would a HOFer on the backside of his career come here? We aren't competing for a championship anytime soon and we're frugal with contracts. 

I agree....but if not Wagner I hope we land a veteran LB to show Jamin the ropes as a kind of coach on the field for him. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Salary dump for LA.  LA gets a 6th out of it.  Woods will be 30 in days.  LA wins big on this one.

WR coming off ACL usually need and extra year before they are back to normal as well. They dumped a lot of salary and a lot of risk and got a 6th in return. 

• Like 1

That iss a lot of money to pay Woods. He and OBJ are in a similar boats.

About to be 30, coming off an ACL.

I was doubting anyone was willing to give OBJ a LTD, but if someone makes a play for Woods like that...

I thought he was gonna have to settle for a 1yr deal and try again next year.

12 minutes ago, SoCalSkins said:

WR coming off ACL usually need and extra year before they are back to normal as well. They dumped a lot of salary and a lot of risk and got a 6th in return. 

Why would Tennessee do this deal? Is Woods really that much better than all the other available options to them? At that cost in salary? 

• Like 3

One day after trading for Deshaun Watson, the Cleveland Browns are expected to sign free-agent quarterback Jacoby Brissett to a one-year deal to be Watson's backup, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter on Saturday.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33550533/cleveland-browns-signing-qb-jacoby-brissett-1-year-deal-back-deshaun-watson-sources-say

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Look. I am not exactly against the Wentz move. But to claim I dont have questions is ridiculous. Franchise QB's dont get tossed in back to back off seasons. They get 50 Mill per year guaranteed in the modern NFL. I am willing to let this play out. But dont insult my intelligence by claiming there are no questions with this move. 

Considering Ron actually spoke with several of his prior coaches, I think it’s safe to say he is just a tad bit more in the know about Wentz than you.  

• Like 3

Interesting for sure. My offensive coordinator in college used to harp on players who are "proven" vs upside. 

Players coming off of injury have the risk of never being the same. The draft is full of busts but this time of year we assume all of the first round picks will reach peak potential. 

The Titans went with "proven" and the recent trend of ACL recovery.  They also already have AJ Brown, so Woods appears to be the vet to replace Julio.

They made a financial investment sure, but we have seen over the last week how teams can manipulate the cap..so..... They also didn't give up much in terms of draft capital so whats the risk?

Edited by SkinsFootball

1 hour ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

It was for a 6th rd pick next year 2023. Would have been a very savvy move to secure our number 2 receiver. The injury may have kept us from pulling that trigger. 

Considering we have to extend Terry to a $20MM+ Apy deal in the very near future, Samuel at around $13MM, I think it would be the opposite of savvy to invest another $15MM apy on a #2 coming off an ACL.

And I love Robert Woods as a player, both catching passes and loving to block.

16 minutes ago, kingdaddy said:

Why would Tennessee do this deal? Is Woods really that much better than all the other available options to them? At that cost in salary? 

I think a WR that loves to block in the run game is a perfect fit there.  But yeah it’s a lot of money for a guy approaching 30 who just tore his ACL.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

Look. I am not exactly against the Wentz move. But to claim I dont have questions is ridiculous. Franchise QB's dont get tossed in back to back off seasons. They get 50 Mill per year guaranteed in the modern NFL. I am willing to let this play out. But dont insult my intelligence by claiming there are no questions with this move.

I wouldn't take that at pure face value. Felt like coach speak to me. Just supporting his QB.

The idea that Wentz has no ?'s holds no merit. Obviously there are things that need to be under a microscope with him in both behavior and play.

But at the end of the day he is your QB and you support him. Rivera did exactly as any coach would, whether your starting your backup QB in week 2, or signing Andy Dalton as QB1 last year. I bet i could find similar speak surrounding TH and Dalton last year rather easily. Don't gotta believe with all your heart, but you gotta have some faith in your guy.

There is no doubt in my mind that Ron knows there are things to be wary of, but you support your guy in this situation. Cant fault him for that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, BatteredFanSyndrome said:

Considering we have to extend Terry to a $20MM+ Apy deal in the very near future, Samuel at around $13MM, I think it would be the opposite of savvy to invest another $15MM apy on a #2 coming off an ACL.

And I love Robert Woods as a player, both catching passes and loving to block.

I think a WR that loves to block in the run game is a perfect fit there.  But yeah it’s a lot of money for a guy approaching 30 who just tore his ACL.

Just to clarify my comment a bit I wasn’t super clear, sorry.  Imo a healthy Robert Woods at 15 M for 4 yrs is a savvy move the way the market is trending. But like I poorly tried to imply above, you can’t just wipe away the ACL, hence, no move. If he would have been healthy imo it would have been a savvy move was the gist. You can still disagree on that too, all good, just some thoughts..

Tennessee’s not too concerned it appears, even with the injury.  I’m a fan of RW..But the ACL definitely changes things. Otherwise, I’d do it. 

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

There is no doubt in my mind that Ron knows there are things to be wary of, but you support your guy in this situation. Cant fault him for that.

100% agree. RR can get rid of one of the ? marks only by doing exactly what he's doing here as you can't go back and fix the vibe you're giving off and signaling to your team later.

Pretty standard 'We are all in', until we're not.

Less stress on Wentz means faster progress.

46 minutes ago, COWBOY-KILLA- said:

Tennessee’s not too concerned it appears, even with the injury.  I’m a fan of RW..But the ACL definitely changes things. Otherwise, I’d do it. 

Agreed, pluss there's too many burners you can get in the draft, even if they trade down and get more picks.

• Like 2

Top 100 Available 2022 NFL Free Agents List - NFLTradeRumors.co

Hey guys.  Here is a list of the best remaining free agents.  I want players a much as anyone who invests time on this board.  My point is simply, RR has a plan, they have their free agent boars and I am sure they are updating and have meetings everyday.  I feel confident that they are going to make the right moves.  

If you have to overpay to bring in any player, I think that has ramifications far beyond the dollars and cap hit associated with any free agent.  They (the player) that knows you overpaid, could care less, I mean we should all be experts on this notion by now.  In the next few days their will be another signing.  Lets not worry, that is exactly the right way to do it.  Quiet and effective.  I never want to win the headlines ever again.  

An example of my first point is if we signed Wagner to a big time contract, but you know his heart is one the west coast, which their is nothing wrong with, then are you really getting the player you think you are getting?

I am no expert, but if I use examples of other successful organizations and how they run their business, in all aspects, then I am happy with how they are approaching the offseason.  This list has a lot of talent on it, right down to the bottom of the list literally, K. white at 100, seems strange but I digress.  So far I like the approach and believe their is more to come.

Washington, yesterday, today and tomorrow.  

3 hours ago, kingdaddy said:

The reason for the deal is Tenn didn’t pay his signing bonus, LAR did. Thus, the guaranteed money is less than if they had signed him as a FA at the same deal

I really took the news of Wentz coming here quite poorly. He was literally the last one I wanted to come here out of all the list of available QBs. Its just weird, all of the reasons of why I didn't want him here, all of the reasons we're being told we shouldn't want him here, don't seem to hold water. He isn't particularly injury prone, he isn't a turnover machine, he's not uncoachable, he's not a locker room cancer, etc. This seriously seems like a hit job on Wentz from the Colt's front office, all accounts say its Irsay and not the coaches. Not only did the Colts fantastically fail on this move, but I'm going to not only say we capitalized on it, but we came out with the much better end of the deal. I've gone from hating the ideas of Wentz coming here to be excited to see what he will do next season. I'm officially on board!

I'm really glad we dodged the Deshaun Watson bullet, I honestly don't know why everyone in the media is bowing down to the Browns organization on making this move. They gave up WAY too much for Watson, too many picks and too much money. Everyone says the guy is good, but he hasn't actually done anything of note yet in the NFL. I don't think he's worth what was given, he may make the Browns better, but the hit at draft picks/cap/players traded will hurt them more and for longer than Watson will be helpful.

Also, Watson was clearly in it for the money. All these snippets of info coming out saying that he won't go to this team or that team...it was all about money. I want to see this guy fail, sorry, but I don't like him.

Last, but not least, can we all say "**** the Bills"? Not only Brandon Beane for being a little crybaby ****, but also the entire Bills Mafia. Yes, I know they do some great things for charity and whatnot, but these fans are feeding way too much off their own ego. Hearing their thoughts about us and McKissic is pretty pathetic, these fans are elitists and I have no idea why. They were only relevant for a four year period in which they accomplished 4 straight, Super Bowl losses. Over on their message board, they can't believe that we wouldn't let them have our guy, JD. He belongs with us, not Buffalo.

• Like 5