Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official ES (or E...C) 2022 Free Agency Thread Signed G Andrew Norwell, Obada, Trai Turner...Goodbye Scherff, Kyle Allen, Tim Settle

Riggo-toni

3 hours ago, Warhead36 said:

I treat Curtis Samuel like Jordan Reed. Pretend he doesn't exist. Pretend he isn't even on your roster and you're just working with -10 Mil in salary cap or whatever his hit is. ANYTHING we get out of him is a bonus. 

We need another WR.

Perfect comparison and I agree. I would prefer London but any WR in the first round sounds good to me. 

To double down, I would also like to add Kenneth Walker in the 2nd. Give us an Ingram-Kamara punch with Gibson being utilized more in a hybrid role.

Obviously linebacker is a need so we shall see. 

Edited by SkinsFootball
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, goskins10 said:

Not sired there is as much correlation as you are putting to it. I think it's much more about who they want(ed) with wanted too much money or signed elsewhere. And need to point out there are a lot of what would be considered top FAs out there an no one is signing them. I think this is more a league thing tan a Washington FO thing. The das of all the best talent being scooped up day 1 or 2 appear to be behind us. Does not mean the team will sign someone. But there are options unlike even jsut 5 yrs ago. People like Wagner and T Matthew would have been gone already. But teams are being more careful and players are letting the process work out more to get their best situation. It's not a bad thing in my mind. 

I think a lot of teams are realizing that the teams that come out guns blazing are running a HUGE risk and often significantly overpaying for players.  It has become more prudent to watch the Jags shoot their load, and that might take a few top free agents off the market, but there is still significant talent remaining, and you allow the market to settle a bit, so you're not bidding against yourself.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, skinsfan93 said:

Not sure what AB is trying to say by his tweet but the longer free agency goes, the better chance we can land him on a relatively modest deal. 

Curious to know what you, and others, think Wagner would be likely to get per year.

6 hours ago, DWinzit said:

I am on the optimistic side for the offense. If they had resigned RSJ and Lucas I'd say they really just need an RB2, QB2 or 3 and WR2 or 3. 

These voids can be filled through the FA bargain bin on one year deals and mid round draft. Still hoping Lucas is brought back to settle the swing. 

The D definitely needs a LB, FS, CB and DT depth

I’m kind of neutral right now.  Lots of holes to fill, but also plenty of time left - pre-draft FA, the draft, UDFA rookies, post-draft FA, June 1 cuts and TC cuts.  We won’t fill all the weak spots with proven talent (ie we’ll still have questions until in-season), but I have some faith we find some surprising contributors, as we did last year with Leno, Lucas, Carter, RSJ, etc.

6 hours ago, KDawg said:

That is an optimistic view. But any time you add caveats to guys you are basically saying that you can’t rely on their production going into the season. We have a lot of that. 

Totally agree, that’s why I said I’d feel a lot better if we brought in a talented pass catcher or two.

General point - I will say that it seems like Samuel was a freak thing and he should be good to go this year… but I still have that worry in the back of my mind.  And even if I take the stance that he should be good, I still want to add at least one guy (but I’d prefer two) that I have high hopes for.  I like the cut of London’s jib :)

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Curious to know what you, and others, think Wagner would be likely to get per year.

Looking at the guy's stats, if I were RR I'd offer a 3 year $30 mill contract with 24 guaranteed.  The guy is a machine.  Look at his stats over the years.  He's been phenomenal!  

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, JSSkinz said:

The Bengals are stacking that O line. First they sign the Pats C and then a G from a very good Bucs O line and now this.

Good for them. They are not going to allow Burrow to take the beating he took last year again. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, RWJ said:

Looking at the guy's stats, if I were RR I'd offer a 3 year $30 mill contract with 24 guaranteed.  The guy is a machine.  Look at his stats over the years.  He's been phenomenal!  

I reckon he’s wanting top money for the latter part of his career. 15mil py maybe?

13 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I reckon he’s wanting top money for the latter part of his career. 15mil py maybe?

I could see that.  His numbers are steady and have been great.  So, a 3 year $45 mill deal with $30 mill guaranteed?  If that's what your saying, RR should do it, I think but we still need to draft a ILB early in the draft.  

• Like 2

So the Von Miller headline deal of 6/120 is in reality 3/52 with an easy out at that point. The cap, the use of multiple voidable years, and contracts in general are a joke. 

You just need an aggressive front office approach, plenty of forward thinking and some **** hot number cruncher sat in a quiet room making it all piece together.

Edited by Est.1974
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

So the Von Miller headline deal of 6/120 is in reality 3/52 with an easy out at that point. The cap, the use of multiple voidable years, and contracts in general are a joke. 

You just need an aggressive front office approach, plenty of forward thinking and some **** hot number cruncher sat in a quiet room making it all piece together.

Rivera went all in on the QB, but at the moment not following it up with other quality signings. 1 free Agent from another team up to now must be a Washington record. I'm hoping we've got signings lined up to sign soon. 

• Like 1

I looked at Wentz's contract and it looks like he has a 6 mil roster bonus this year.   Why not turn that into a signing bonus and spread it out over the 3 years left on his contract?

I believe that would save us 4 mil and only cause a small dead money hit if we cut him next year; which I'm confident we won't anyway.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FLSkinz83 said:

I looked at Wentz's contract and it looks like he has a 6 mil roster bonus this year.   Why not turn that into a signing bonus and spread it out over the 3 years left on his contract?

I believe that would save us 4 mil and only cause a small dead money hit if we cut him next year; which I'm confident we won't anyway.

Correct. WJ3 has a similar roster bonus to. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

A lot of players have a freak season where they are not healthy. 

Disagree.....how many players in any sport have "freak seasons" where their groin or hamstring NEVER heals enough for them to play at least half of the season? What is a freak season injury? To me that's when a guy falls down his steps in his house carrying his laundry or someone who cuts their hand doing something.....Your opinion is an optimistic apologetic excuse for a player who signed a huge contract and never contributed. I have no problem for your optimism but the original poster is right in that this is a guy you can't count on to be totally healthy given his non-participation last year. 

11 minutes ago, markmills67 said:

Rivera went all in on the QB, but at the moment not following it up with other quality signings. 1 free Agent from another team up to now must be a Washington record. I'm hoping we've got signings lined up to sign soon. 

This is a team that had the 5th most cap space  heading into FA, coming off a 7-10 record, and going into year 3 of the program.

They traded for a QB… a QB that was their option D (not really among their top preferences) - judging by the fact their initial offer was 4th and 6th.

And here they stand. Content to write off the season to recoup a 3rd round comp pick.

This team has holes and no depth where there isn’t holes. There’s no margin for error this season.

In a conference with just Rodgers, Brady and Dak.

Riverboat my ass. 

Ron should be president. Not a coach.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb down 2
  • Thumb up 1

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

1 hour ago, Voice_of_Reason said:

I think a lot of teams are realizing that the teams that come out guns blazing are running a HUGE risk and often significantly overpaying for players.  It has become more prudent to watch the Jags shoot their load, and that might take a few top free agents off the market, but there is still significant talent remaining, and you allow the market to settle a bit, so you're not bidding against yourself.

How many teams sat out the first tier of free agency like we did? About 7....

Prudent gets you nowhere in the NFL...especially when you have holes all over. LA Chargers haven't been prudent, they've been majorly aggressive....ditto the Bengals, Dolphins and others. The Rams won a SB and went out and added Allen Robinson....Chiefs grabbed Ju,Ju.....Yes there's risk to spending big and early but you also lock in the biggest and best players.

I don't think anyone is watching the Jags and running their organizations based on what they do. The Jags got their franchise QB and are loading up while he's on a rookie contract to support him as best they can....makes a lot of sense. Spend it if you have it and go for it. Also, each team has various players/factors to consider just like the Commanders do with restructuring and long term deals to offer players on the roster etc....What the Jags do has no bearing on what each team does on their own. 

Edited by kingdaddy
double post
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If anyone can photoshop Wagner in a commanders jersey that would be sweet. Maybe we can visualize it into reality. 

Imagine sign Wagner,  Hamilton falls, draft C. Watson in second. 

🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

I would be doing the Jackie Moon “I can’t feel my arms” LOL. 

296B254C-44C3-45CF-B5EB-B3E76960F578.gif.7ac2c9b92ad33d13047447b6288bc7ed.gif

• Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, Warhead36 said:

We've had much better luck in the Rivera era with low cost under the radar FA signings so I'm glad we're sticking with that approach. 

Luck? This team has no luck 🙂

How is that not an indictment of the coach? A coach unable to identify good talent, unwilling to pay for good talent, and unable to integrate good talent (getting their high profile CB last year to learn new technique).

This is a team that can’t even upgrade Troy Apke off its roster. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thumb up 1

2 hours ago, Est.1974 said:

Myles Jack signed for 8mil per and Jordan Hicks got 5mil per. Wagner is head and shoulders above those guys but he’s also 32. I’m sure he is holding out for a huge contract but it’s not happening right now otherwise someone would have signed him. Plus mlb is not as vital than outside edge rushers. 

What I think he would get and what we should sign for him is different. If we can get him for 3 years (to spread signing bonus) for $30 mil with $20 guaranteed, I think we can make that work w the cap. 

Cmon Ron and Mayhew make it happen!

18 minutes ago, Die Hard said:

Luck? This team has no luck 🙂

How is that not an indictment of the coach? A coach unable to identify good talent, unwilling to pay for good talent, and unable to integrate good talent (getting their high profile CB last year to learn new technique).

This is a team that can’t even upgrade Troy Apke off its roster. 

Apke is a future HOF. Show some respect. 

• Haha 1