Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

People around him have said multiple times he won't do an Eli.   But will see.

Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 7.40.48 PM.png

The wildcard might be the Raiders and not for Williams.  It is my understanding and listening to the Pivot Podcast that Antonio Pierce loves Jayden Daniels and may push GM Telesco to do what it takes to get him at #1.  Pierce was coaching at Arizona St. when Daniels was QB there and loves the guy!  

Edited by RWJ

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

People said the exact same stuff about Trubisky. He's super talented. The Bears just did him wrong and don't know how to develop QBs.

No, he just sucks. And Fields just isn't a very good QB.

Trubisky never showed any flashes or glimpses of elite ability at the nfl level, fields has. Trubisky was just a botched pick

• Like 1

As someone who is firmly in the trade-down boat, what happened to penix? Before the national championship there was talk about him possibly going #1. Sure, he played awful, but is this current lack of love an overreaction to the game, something related to his injury history, or were there big issues with him all along?

5 minutes ago, CTskin said:

As someone who is firmly in the trade-down boat, what happened to penix? Before the national championship there was talk about him possibly going #1. Sure, he played awful, but is this current lack of love an overreaction to the game, something related to his injury history, or were there big issues with him all along?

No, there was no talk about him going #1. At all. Ever.

Penix is a 6th year senior with a worse injury history than an MMA fighter and who crumbled when faced with a great defense that could get pressure on him. He's probably a 3rd rounder now. Maybe.

PS: We're not trading down

Edited by mistertim
  • Like 7

12 minutes ago, RWJ said:

The wildcard might be the Raiders and not for Williams.  it is my understanding and listening to the Pivot Podcast that Antonio Pierce loves Jayden Daniels and may push GM Telesco to do what it takes to get him at #1.  Pierce was coaching at Arizona St. when Daniels was QB there and loves the guy!  

The Raiders are at 13. They literally cannot afford to get to 1 (simultaneously depriving the Bears of a chance to take not only Caleb Williams, but any top QB). They don’t have enough picks in the next two years to get it done even IF the Bears were inclined to trade down to the mid-1st (no one would be). 

The Raiders probably can’t even get to the Pats pick at #3, but it’s their only shot at Daniels. It’s a very very minuscule chance, but it’s their only chance. 

• Like 2

Benkert lost me within the first minute of his Daniels segment. He announces that he’s only going to be watching highlight videos. Which, purportedly, is by design. He believes that “good NFL coaches can get college players to play up to their ceiling as often as possible.” So he’s “not going to try to judge him on his bad plays.”

A few minutes later, he does a wonderful job of demonstrating why it’s a problem to evaluate guys based on their highlight films, as he sees a clip of a (great) run by Daniels, where he sort of pops out of bounds at the end. And Benkert notes that he’s “smart about not taking hits.” Oops. 

Anyway, there’s a lot of voices out there offering their “take” on the players. I’ll probably be looking elsewhere for my expert insight.

• Thumb up 1

11 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Benkert lost me within the first minute of his Daniels segment. He announces that he’s only going to be watching highlight videos. Which, purportedly, is by design. He believes that “good NFL coaches can get college players to play up to their ceiling as often as possible.” So he’s “not going to try to judge him on his bad plays.”

A few minutes later, he does a wonderful job of demonstrating why it’s a problem to evaluate guys based on their highlight films, as he sees a clip of a (great) run by Daniels, where he sort of pops out of bounds at the end. And Benkert notes that he’s “smart about not taking hits.” Oops. 

Anyway, there’s a lot of voices out there offering their “take” on the players. I’ll probably be looking elsewhere for my expert insight.

He did full game breakdowns of Williams and Daniels here:

Daniels vs Alabama:

Williams vs Washington:

MHJ is only interviewing. No drills and won’t even get measured. What’s he hiding from not getting measured?

9 hours ago, Chump Bailey said:

Curious as to why they retained Mayhew. 

He did all the predraft work. After the draft, Martin may be let go. If he stays, then it’s because of the previous relationship in San Francisco with Adam.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, MartinC said:

All this trade down talk is nonsense. Teams who don’t have an established franchise QBs or very recent first round QBs don’t trade down in a draft with 3 highly rated blue chip QB prospects. They take the best QB on their board.

Never say never but I’d say there is less than a 5% chance Chicago (or we) trade down.

Funny enough, your post actually gives me some pause.  I mean, I’m right there with you in that I didn’t (and still don’t) think Chicago trades down.  With that said, if I was in their shoes and had two (or 3) qbs rated close to each other, and/or if the room is divided on the pick, I’d have to consider a trade down.  Given the crapshoot nature of the draft, particularly with qbs, adding a couple 1st round picks (or whatever) might be a really smart hedge.

Of course that’s easy for me to say.  

2 hours ago, 88Comrade2000 said:

MHJ is only interviewing. No drills and won’t even get measured. What’s he hiding from not getting measured?

I get not working out, he has nothing to gain, but no measurements?!

Why even show up at that point. You can just do the zoom interview and save yourself the time and hassle of going to Indy.

10 hours ago, WashingtonRedWolves said:

I don't think Fields is the problem in Chicago...you want to talk about howell getting dealt a ****ty hand how bout this guy who's had to go through multiple coaches/systems in such a short time frame, a ****ty o-line, and limited weapons until moore arrived. Despite that, he's shown real flashes in his ability, e.g. saying **** it and running free in the back half of that 2022 season. The bears are just an inept poorly run organization that won't step back and realize they've been the problem with his development and instead put all the blame on him. They should hold onto him and take MHJ and other pieces to build around him but instead will go for the flashy quick fix in williams

It's a shame because the way that team is run, williams will fail in that system as well and they'll be left scratching their heads like idiots all over again

They got a good offensive coordinator for this comin season.  I liked Fields before the draft.  He's painful to watch though as a QB.  Killer runner.  But accuracy is hit and miss, holds on to the ball too long, decision making hit and miss.  I think you got to turn him more into early Lamar Jackson style player were his running is even more featured. 

Avery is a well known  QB coach.  Speaking of saying wild things, listening to a dude on the Junkies now, ex-scout if I heard him correctl and he has Daniels as a third rounder and Caleb as a 4th.  Now if I was one of the people here rallying about just about every word pro the Qb I like and negative for the one I don't -- i'd be transcribing every word. 😎

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, HTTRDynasty said:

Oh, I'm sure the NFL is plenty impressed with that stuff. Don't be fooled. Some rando Twitter scouts and other pundits may be less "impressed", but there's no way actual NFL scouts are missing that Maye is regularly making these types of NFL level throws that most other guys simply aren't.

Yes, there's absolutely stuff that has to be cleaned up in his game. But the fact that he has so much demonstrable proof of being able to make those sort of tight window throws, especially down the middle, gives him a big advantage and removes some risk when it comes to projecting whether he'll be able to adapt to that part of the college to NFL QB transition.

• Like 8

9 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

I think Nix is very underrated.

I think his ceiling is a 12-16 type.  Efficient passer.  Not exciting upside but high floor passer IMO.

He has a chance to redeem himself from his poor Senior Bowl with a good combine.   He seems like a good dude so I expect him to interview well.  I like McCarthy over Nix as to QB 4 but not by a mile.  But I'd go Nix over Penix for QB 5.  

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1

I've always been a bit on-off about Nix. Some things to his game I like. Good when things break down, can throw off platform, very good mobility, pretty good arm. But he also was extremely meh at Auburn but then started to put up big stats at Oregon where the offense is far simpler. Tons of quick stuff and vertical isolation routes, so not many complex reads or progressions. I'm not sure he has a ton of upside.

Also, he was reportedly pretty terrible during the Senior Bowl, which also raises some of the same concerns about him being able to play in a different/more complex system.