Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

2 minutes ago, CapsSkins said:

I tend to think the same way. In the NFL, good defenses will put a spy on the QB, the DEs will have good rush discipline and not get beat to the edge, and they will force running QBs to stay in the pocket and beat them with their arm.

If you can do that AND run at an elite level? That's crazy upside. But the running will fade as the QB gets older, so the pocket passing has to be the *primary* mode of quarterbacking to sustain success. Resetting the pocket, eluding the rush, stepping up in traffic, accurate placement, those are the keys. Not just deep bombs to open receivers or running down the sideline.  

I am not one of the zero sum people here as for we are screwed if we don't get the QB of our choice.  I'd love Caleb.  I'd love Maye.  I'd love Daniels.

But one of the reasons why i think its Daniels more so than Maye that has to adjust to the NFL because he needs to master throwing off platform.  You can't just run when you are flushed out of the pocket all the time -- not just because of injury concerns but because defenses will crowd the edges and force him to stay in the pocket.

daniels2.png

danielsstat.png

• Like 1

Just now, Est.1974 said:

Peters saying now i got to find a new QB is a poor statement IMO. Yes we know. But Howell is confirmed as done with that statement. Poor wording for me.

Howell was confirmed done the moment we secured the #2 overall pick and Rivera was fired.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

Peters saying now i got to find a new QB is a poor statement IMO. Yes we know. But Howell is confirmed as done with that statement. Poor wording for me.

Considering it's his first time as a GM, I give the guy a pass.  Maybe he analyzes his interview and learns from it too or someone says something to him.  

Just now, mistertim said:

It's not like Howell himself didn't know that perfectly well.

I thinks that’s irrelevant too. Should be more diplomatic/professional in an opening combine statement. He wouldn’t say, need to find a new LT for example.

Anyway, I know we need a QB. It’s the ill advised statement IMO.

• Thumb up 1

3 minutes ago, RWJ said:

I think JJ McCarthy, if he has a good interview(s) and throws well at the Combine locks himself securely into the #4 slot at QB.  

Agree.  I think he goes top 10, maybe top 5.  Nix am guessing somewhere between 10-20.  Penix I'd guess anywhere in the 2nd to early 3rd.  Rattler and Pratt 3rd. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

It was a poor choice of words and invites unnecessary controversy, something we've been dealing with incessantly the last couple years but I took it more to mean he needs to find another quarterback after brock purdy not sam howell.

That was the context that his answer was in and I assure you he didn't mean to totally write Howell off at this point.

Edited by redskinss
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, NOLA2DC said:

That's the issue, I've heard of those other guys but not him. I understand people can cherry-pick info but you should at least have some type of resume. Did he predict Mahomes or Purdy, for example?

Seems like he is trying to make a name for himself. Easiest way to do that is to predict failure where no one else does and then say SEE I WAS RIGHT!! when in reality they all are probably going to fail. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

6 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Agree.  I think he goes top 10, maybe top 5.  Nix am guessing somewhere between 10-20.  Penix I'd guess anywhere in the 2nd to early 3rd.  Rattler and Pratt 3rd. 

I am really intrigued by Rattler.  It wouldn't surprise me, not say it is going to happen but if he traded Howell (BIG IF) for a late 2nd, within first 10 picks of the 3rd and selected another QB from this draft.  It's way too early but if Rattler fell to the early 4th, maybe Peters makes a move.  Again, way too early.  

• Like 3

Just now, RWJ said:

I am really intrigued by Rattler.  It wouldn't surprise me, not say it is going to happen but if he traded Howell (BIG IF) for a late 2nd, within first 10 picks of the 3rd and selected another QB from this draft.  It's way too early but if Rattler fell to the early 4th, maybe Peters makes a move.  Again, way too early.  

Am OK with that.  Rattler in the 4th is likely a good get. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Among other things he says Daniels protects himself well and the hits that people say Daniels takes are mostly from his ASU days.

He got blasted plenty at LSU. But I will say when I watched his tape late in the season he was clearly trying to protect himself more. He still cant slide. But he is so fast and shifty that he can and started to use the out of bounds boundary to his advantage. Similar to Russ imo. 

3 hours ago, redskinss said:

I'm curious about something, not to say it's never happened but I can't recall so I'm wondering if anybody can present an example of a team needing a quarterback, having a pick high enough to get one of the top coveted quarterbacks in the draft and instead trading back and acquiring a quarterback later in the draft.

Has that ever happened?

There are actually a lot of teams who traded down and took QBs later in the draft. For example, Cleveland traded the number 2 pick, the Wentz pick, and then took Cody Kessler a few rounds later. But I assume that isn't precisely what you meant. 

We took Patrick Ramsey at the end of the 1st after trading down.

For top ten picks, Chicago traded down with us from 7 to 12 (the Champ Bailey pick) and took Cade McCown. The Bills traded from like 8 to 17 and took EJ Manuel. 

People could try to say the Eli/Rivers swap, but that shouldn't count because of circumstances. 

The one example that really fits beat with what you are asking would be Carolina trading from 1 to 5 and taking Kerry Collins there. That was almost 30 years ago now. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FootballZombie said:

Vet Min plus incentives

He's not even worth the vet min. No thanks. :)

54 minutes ago, JamesMadisonSkins said:

McCarthy's highlight reel is nice. I am no expert on QB fundamentals. If you asked me to identify "good footwork" I would have no idea what to point to.

That being said, the thing that immediately jumped out to me in that video right away was "he looks like he has a really solid stance and footwork."

Grain of salt coming from me haha

No you are right. His mechanics are solid. And he has a really good arm as well. He can spin it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mac8887 said:

this is my guy if we can’t get Caleb

check this one out to, the disparity between JJ and Drake while under pressure is insane. JJ is lights out under pressure

I’d reach for him at #2 depending how the interview and pro day go, but definitely not a popular opinion…

probably wont be able to trade down too far and still get him 

Edited by illone

49 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I think Penix would be a really good fit for what Payton likes to do. 

43 minutes ago, Est.1974 said:

He followed it up by saying he like Howell as well. I mean everyone knows whats going to happen regardless of the spin. We are staying put and picking whichever QB we prefer. The writing is on the wall. 

10 minutes ago, illone said:

I’d reach for him at #2 depending how the interview and pro day go, but definitely not a popular opinion…

probably wont be able to trade down too far and still get him 

If McCarthy truly is "our guy" at the end of the day, we can certainly trade back 1 spot with NE if there's an offer on the table. We could probably go back as far as ATL but that's about it. From there, we absolutely risk Denver or Minnesota trading up ahead of us with the Chargers, or the Giants just straight out taking him at #6. We'd have to have a strong back-up plan (Rattler, Pratt, Penix) in R2 or R3 to supplement Howell if someone leaps us or McCarthy goes before we pick at 8.

In reality we simply won't risk it. But it does make for intriguing fodder. 

Maye or Daniels ... or McCarthy + 3rd + at least a 1st next year. I would angle hard for Pitts in that situation. Give me #8, Pitts, 3rd rounder and a 2025 1st. Atlanta could recoup a 2nd if the Jags extend Calvin Ridley, in which case I would ask for #8, 2nd (JAX), Pitts and a 2025 1st. If Pitts can't be had, then add a 2025 2nd and/or 2026 1st.

Edited by JamesMadisonSkins
  • Like 3