Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

1 minute ago, skinny21 said:

Yep.  I’ll even go so far as to say there’s a small part of me that wishes we’d finished outside of the top 3 picks, lol.  But we didn’t and so going for a qb is a no brainer IMO (and I’m excited about it).  I’d actually say that the way everything has lined up - Snyder selling, landing a quality GM, Ron accidentally tanking, etc. - well, I’m a big believer in taking what the universe drops in your lap.  

I agree, I just get greedy.  :ols:  

There are so many players between 20 and 120 that I want to draft.

There's no way the Bears trade the pick or select anyone outside of Caleb, given their situation. If you're gonna trade Fields, it has to be for the consensus guy. Also, they already have 2 top 10 picks already and will get additional picks for Fields (probably a 2nd at least). 

Edited by NOLA2DC
  • Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

1 minute ago, Koolblue13 said:

I agree, I just get greedy.  :ols:  

There are so many players between 20 and 120 that I want to draft.

Haha, me to brother, me too.  Fortunately we have JMU running cover for us 😁

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, skinny21 said:

You said it was ludicrous, and I agreed with you…?

Anyway, I agree that “getting cute” with the decision to take a blue chip qb prospect is idiotic.  If I had 2 guys rated closely or was torn on which to take though?  I’d take the trade down in a heart beat.  This is more about philosophy than what I think the Bears do, though I suppose there’s a small (maybe minuscule) chance that’s the boat they find themselves in…

I’ll just add that part of my thinking stems from how opinions differ on Maye vs Daniels on this board, and in the media.  Seems a general consensus that Williams is ahead of Maye, though of course we’ve seen some outliers there as well.

I'm guessing it's pretty rare that a team actually has the exact same grade on two blue chip QB prospects. Especially when you take into account that scheme fit would be a part of the evaluation as well. But in the really crazy chance that a team literally doesn't care who they get between 2 QBs and the team right below them offered a king's ransom to move up to your position, then sure I suppose you take it.

But I think that's mostly a fantasy and it would never happen in reality.

• Thumb up 1

10 minutes ago, mistertim said:

I'm guessing it's pretty rare that a team actually has the exact same grade on two blue chip QB prospects.

As just a guy, I can say, "these two prospects are really close and separating them is just splitting hairs."

NFL teams will attempt to split those hairs.

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 2

1 hour ago, redskinss said:

I'm curious about something, not to say it's never happened but I can't recall so I'm wondering if anybody can present an example of a team needing a quarterback, having a pick high enough to get one of the top coveted quarterbacks in the draft and instead trading back and acquiring a quarterback later in the draft.

Has that ever happened?

In 2016, the Browns traded out of the Carson Wentz pick (#2 overall) and then took Cody Kessler in the 3rd. 

They didn’t trade down the next year, they stayed put and took Myles Garrett, but they again passed on the top QBs (Trubisky, Mahomes, Watson) and then went for Deshone Kizer in the 2nd round. Which I think is similar in concept: passing on the top tier QBs to get value elsewhere and then circling back to lesser QBs later.

• Thanks 1

Just now, FootballZombie said:

As just a guy, I can say, "these two prospects are really close and separating them is just splitting hairs."

NFL teams will attempt to split those hairs.

People are getting paid 7 figures a year to split those hairs. And get fired if they pick up the wrong half.

• Like 4

Yeah I think people forget that these teams spend a lot of time talking to these prospects. They do visits in person. They talk about their families. They talk to their coaches from college and high school, maybe even pop warner. Current and former teammates. Team security talks to ex-girlfriends and college roommates. Comb through years of social media posts. Look into bars they frequented in their college town. You’re talking about a billion dollar decision potentially, when it comes to franchise QB’s. They look them in the eye and judge their character and fit in the organization. Assistant coaches make personal connections and relationships with these players during the process. 

It’s not the same as Lance Zerlein or whoever having two guys with an identical 6.85 grade. It doesn’t work like that. These teams always have a clear preference, and a backup plan they’re comfortable with. But with something as big as their potential franchise QB in the top 3 picks? They don’t trade down and flip a damn coin because of a grade. 

Edited by Conn
  • Like 8
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 2

36 minutes ago, MartinC said:

People are getting paid 7 figures a year to split those hairs. And get fired if they pick up the wrong half.

Yep.  I stated earlier in this thread I want Peters to gather all info and intel he can from everyone of his scouts, personal in F.O.  etc. but in the end, I want Peters, GM to make the call.  He has to be accountable.  

• Like 1

One thing that needs to stop being repeated is: "If Peters likes X we should get X. If he dislikes Y we shouldn't go for Y."

Yes. This is OBVIOUS. Nobody is advocating we take a guy that the GM doesn't like.

Lets work under the assumptions that there are three legitimate big time prospects and its reasonable that he might like any and/or all of them.

• Like 3
  • Thumb up 1

Peters said 'Now we have to find a new QB" in the very beginning of his press conference btw. He said it like it was just a passing comment but he also doesn't strike me as the type to say something like that by mistake. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Llevron said:

Peters said 'Now we have to find a new QB" in the very beginning of his press conference btw. He said it like it was just a passing comment but he also doesn't strike me as the type to say something like that by mistake. 

I mean its obvious. People overblow the whole "play your cards close to the vest" stuff. There is a network among these guys, they talk, they know each other etc. That's how deals get done. There is nowhere near as much secrecy as people think.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Maye but not sure about the Burrow comps.  But yeah speaking of a film guy who has done this for eons.  Greg Cosell compared him stylistically to Burrow.

I will never forget the segment Cossell did on Kevin's show years ago where he had no idea what the difference between a read-option, run-pass-option or QB run was. He equated the 2012 offense to running the wishbone.

Kevin went bananas on him the next segment.  

I get that the guy has done it for years.  Every time I hear him talk, I wonder how good at it he is, though.  

Just now, Warhead36 said:

I mean its obvious. People overblow the whole "play your cards close to the vest" stuff. There is a network among these guys, they talk, they know each other etc. That's how deals get done. There is nowhere near as much secrecy as people think.

Yea I have been saying we don't really have to hide our intentions from anyone. The point of a good board is to have multiple guys that you know could be available that would help you, and then take the best one that is there when you are up. And at 2 there is only one team that could stop us if we want a guy. Its that simple. 

I'm just surprised that they have already decided they are out on Howell. I thought there was real talent there, worth at least thinking about. Maybe I just underestimate how fast they think. Dunno. Struck me as worth telling yall about and kinda of exciting, too. I am happy they are willing to take a swing at finding THE guy and not just settling for the guy they have. 

3 minutes ago, Llevron said:

Yea I have been saying we don't really have to hide our intentions from anyone. The point of a good board is to have multiple guys that you know could be available that would help you, and then take the best one that is there when you are up. And at 2 there is only one team that could stop us if we want a guy. Its that simple. 

I'm just surprised that they have already decided they are out on Howell. I thought there was real talent there, worth at least thinking about. Maybe I just underestimate how fast they think. Dunno. Struck me as worth telling yall about and kinda of exciting, too. I am happy they are willing to take a swing at finding THE guy and not just settling for the guy they have. 

I mean Howell is who he is. He was the previous regime's 5th round pick. Half his rookie contract, the primary source of his value, has been used up. He got beaten up and was the league leader in picks and sacks. By all advanced metrics he was a bottom 3-5 starting QB in the league last year. His ceiling in the league is high end backup, in the Gardner Minshew tier. You don't punt on multiple blue chip QB prospects at the very top of the draft to build around a Sam Howell.

Now if we were picking like 7th or 8th? Maybe you think about it. But picking 2nd makes it a real no brainer.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, mistertim said:

Oh, I'm sure the NFL is plenty impressed with that stuff. Don't be fooled. Some rando Twitter scouts and other pundits may be less "impressed", but there's no way actual NFL scouts are missing that Maye is regularly making these types of NFL level throws that most other guys simply aren't.

Yes, there's absolutely stuff that has to be cleaned up in his game. But the fact that he has so much demonstrable proof of being able to make those sort of tight window throws, especially down the middle, gives him a big advantage and removes some risk when it comes to projecting whether he'll be able to adapt to that part of the college to NFL QB transition.

I'll give Sheehan props for the subject.  He's as in the tank for Daniels as any of some of the people here.  He's a rabid Daniels guy.  Among other things he says Daniels protects himself well and the hits that people say Daniels takes are mostly from his ASU days.

Still, he's had his share of guests including an ex-PFF guy just now on his show touting Maye as the better bet at #2.  And to Sheehan's credit he doesn't have a snit about it when they go there.  But I wonder if he will have a breaking point.  :ols:

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2