Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

I predict people will blow up at any comparison of QB to QB if it doesn’t align with their beliefs. How am I doing? Look, if someone says Williams is comparable to Mahommes, people automatically assume Mahommes production or success. They say Williams is comparable to Zach Wilson, guess what they expect that same outcome. Just because something tastes like chicken, doesn’t mean it’s chicken.

36 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Reading through a bunch of his other tweets I get the feeling that he might be a guy in search of clicks because he tends towards the more sensationalism side of things. He's basically been in the tank for Daniels for a while and talks about Daniels in glowing terms and others in very negative ones. He's not especially even keeled so I take whatever he says with several large grains of salt.

He needs to go back to making Madden streams.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

I can never tell if Allbright is just guessing or if he is guessing based on information he has received. He's hit or miss on these "if I had to guess today" takes

Judging by Keim among others this FO is methodical and deep research minded as hell, and they seriously doubt they have landed on what they want on at #2 -- precombine, pre prodays, pre team visits. I recall you challanging his draft predictions in a previous post, pulling up things he got wrong.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, SkinsFTW said:

A lesser version of him, or a lesser version of RG3. 

I only believe the worst comps I see in this thread, so in my opinion we should just light the #2 pick on fire....

• Haha 1

Just now, Bifflog said:

I only believe the worst comps I see in this thread, so in my opinion we should just light the #2 pick on fire....

They could do what the Vikings did and just procrastinate so bad that they lose their pick, twice, lol. 

• Haha 4

20 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

Judging by Keim among others this FO is methodical and deep research minded as hell, and they seriously doubt they have landed on what they want on at #2 -- precombine, pre prodays, pre team visits. I recall you challanging his draft predictions in a previous post, pulling up things he got wrong.

I'm always struck by how oddly lazy the analysis is. Niners got a 4th for Lance, Howell's better than Lance, so they'll get a 3 or better. 

What does that even mean? Lance was raw, got hurt, got hurt again, couldn't prove much, looked raw but athletic, and wasn't healthy enough to show more before Brock stole his gig with a sound and largely healthy until late December of 2022. Nobody knows what Lance is other than strong armed, athletic, and not consistently accurate.

Howell's got a strong arm, takes way too many sacks because of both pocket awareness issues and also consistently playing with dog ---- OL's. He showed an ability to make all the throws, was reasonably accurate, solid leader, come backer, has two years left on his deal, like Lance did. He's given you basically 17 or so go games worth of tape to look at, Lance hasn't given you squat. 

What is Howell worth to teams? I have no idea. The fact that there's only 2 years left on the deal reduces the value substantially. Otoh, Darnold got a pile of assets for the Jets despite the fact that 3 of his 4 years were wrapped. Does the Draft capital factor in to this? Does it matter still that Howell was a fifth round pick? Or is it more important that he looks like 10x the QB day 1 and day 2 QB's from '22 and '23 of that Wilson, Lance, Mac Jones, Fields, Pickett, Corrall, and Ridder looked to name a few? 

I don't know. Its odd to me that a guy will sum it up so simply but I guess part of this is just looking for soundbites. To me, Howell's a conundrum, but also clearly more valuable than any of those '21 and '22 busts other than maybe Fields, who at least has an NFL arm and is a weapon running the ball. But Howell's the best passer in the 2 year cohort not named Lawrence. What's that worth? I'd be happy with a 3rd, but if we can get a 3rd, I'd be hunting a 3rd, and a '25 day 3 pick. 

• Like 1
  • Thumb up 1

31 minutes ago, Bifflog said:

Drake Maye is what happens if Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russel have a baby. Though he has a far lesser arm than both and he also wets his bed at night.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

22 minutes ago, mistertim said:

Drake Maye is what happens if Ryan Leaf and Jamarcus Russel have a baby. Though he has a far lesser arm than both and he also wets his bed at night.

First reasonable thing monkey man has posted in this thread 😋  

Kidding, kidding! Sort of. 🤪

Trent Dilfer likes Maye. And look at that last comp, LSU fans 😃 :

https://www.on3.com/college/north-carolina-tar-heels/news/trent-dilfer-breaks-down-what-makes-unc-qb-drake-maye-special-2024-nfl-draft/

I have nothing bad to say about Drake. But it’s different now. This is not apples to apples,” Dilfer said. “Drake Maye has what you call the gift of smooth. Drake, yes, has good horsepower. Yes, has good twitch. But, really, his gift is making hard things look easy.”

“He’s very fluid, he’s very smooth, he’s a good processor. He has good athletic traits, not great,” continued Dilfer. “More of a wing forward in basketball where Caleb is the dynamic scorer. Because of Caleb and because of how notable he is? Drake’s not going to get the attention that he would’ve gotten from other drafts. Because I think he’d be No. 1 in other drafts.

From there, Dilfer spoke with Breer about comparisons for Maye at the next level. That’s where he continued his high praise as he named three quarterbacks who are among who many believe are within the Top-10 at the position in the league today.

“You’re just going to hear a lot of (Justin) Herbert and Josh Allen. You’re going to hear a lot of that when the evaluators start evaluating,” said Dilfer. “He’s a big guy but he’s really, really fluid, really smooth.”

“He’s (Joe) Burrow. That’s exactly who he is. He’s Joe Burrow, who we know is one of the great players in the NFL,” Dilfer said. “Burrow’s a very good athlete, he was a very good high school basketball player, he’s a great competitor. But what separates Joe Burrow is this innate quality, this nuance to his game that people want to say is something that’s it’s not.”

Edited by Dah-Dee
  • Like 2

Gonna be interesting to see which game Benkert reviewed.

I would love to see him review like 3 games of each, 1 good, 1 mid, and 1 bad game and base opinions on that.  One game can give a lot of info but it's never perfect.

I will say I wish Maye's footwork was a little better.  I'd feel so much better about him if his footwork was cleaner.

49 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Gonna be interesting to see which game Benkert reviewed.

I would love to see him review like 3 games of each, 1 good, 1 mid, and 1 bad game and base opinions on that.  One game can give a lot of info but it's never perfect.

I will say I wish Maye's footwork was a little better.  I'd feel so much better about him if his footwork was cleaner.

Been paying attention to the draft for a long time.  Haven't heard of Benkert until a week ago.  Have you, if so cool?  Not being a jerk but just wondering why he's being elevated as a guru.

Edited by Skinsinparadise
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Skinsinparadise said:

Been paying attention to the draft for a long time.  Haven't heard of Benkert until a week ago.  Have you?  Not being a jerk but just wondering why he's being elevated as a guru.

He's just a rando. The only reason he's shown up in this thread is because he pumped up Daniels, so certain posters decided he was legit.

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, Dah-Dee said:

“He’s (Joe) Burrow. That’s exactly who he is. He’s Joe Burrow, who we know is one of the great players in the NFL,” Dilfer said. “Burrow’s a very good athlete, he was a very good high school basketball player, he’s a great competitor. But what separates Joe Burrow is this innate quality, this nuance to his game that people want to say is something that’s it’s not.”

I like Maye but not sure about the Burrow comps.  But yeah speaking of a film guy who has done this for eons.  Greg Cosell compared him stylistically to Burrow.

For me i like the Carson Palmer-Herbert comps better. 

• Like 2

Just now, mistertim said:

He's just a rando. The only reason he's shown up in this thread is because he pumped up Daniels, so certain posters decided he was legit.

He's a former NFL QB who started doing breakdowns.

Also besides the Mason Rudolph comparison nothing Kurt said is different than anything QB School has said after watching 4 games or Kurt Warner who said he watched 4 games. You can choose who you want to listen to or value but his opinion isn't that outlandish.

3 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

Also besides the Mason Rudolph comparison nothing Kurt said is different than anything QB School has said after watching 4 games or Kurt Warner who said he watched 4 games. You can choose who you want to listen to or value but his opinion isn't that outlandish.

So he basically played against soft defenses?

5 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

I like Maye but not sure about the Burrow comps.  But yeah speaking of a film guy who has done this for eons.  Greg Cosell compared him stylistically to Burrow.

For me i like the Carson Palmer-Herbert comps better. 

OK, so he's a better stronger Joe Burrow but he's still no Mason Rudolph! 

:rofl89:

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, ThatNFLChick said:

He's a former NFL QB who bounced around teams' practice squads for a few years and who's career highlight was kneeling the ball twice in GB. Just because he was in the NFL for a little while doesn't make him a QB whisperer. As a QB scout or draftnick he's a rando. The only reason he showed up here is because he pumped up Daniels so you posted his stuff.