Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

34 minutes ago, Skinsinparadise said:

How many offensive coordinators aren't hated by fans -- seems like they almost all are.

I feel like there is less grey area for coordinators when it comes to fans.

Your either one of the best, or you suck outlandishly. There are no "good" coordinators.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2023 at 5:42 PM, Skinsinparadise said:

Before or after the game? It matters.

I think most of us were ecstatic when we got him. I could be wrong but I think of the QB prospect hunting crowd, the sense I got was that most of us understood this class was ---, but that Howell was one of the few guys in the class w/the tools to actually be a legit franchise QB. Guys like Pickett, and Ridder were the high floor bets, Coral and Willis were the wild card upside bets and Howell was the low floor, high ceiling guy, while Rattler was the WTF?!?! happened to that guy, guy before he went back to school. Coan was the "people like him more than you think guy," I never heard anyone mention Purdy, ever, though I'm sure someone did. I didn't know squat about Zappe. 

But Howell? there's a reason he was the only guy other than Willis that I targeted in dynasty drafts. He cost nothing and he had former 1st round prospect potential pedigree. Willis was the dual threat guy, so I always draft them if they fall (and he did), but Howell was a guy I picked off in about half my dynasty drafts, and started combing the waiver wire for in early November when people who might have drafted him late, cut him for the waiver wire. 

I don't know what he becomes. Could be just another Frerotte in terms of long term relevance (good enough to stick in the league, not good enough to move the needle) or he could be another Cousins, where we hit a home run in terms of value (I definitely like, and liked him more as a prospect, then I did Cousins back then (though I do remember 100% supporting the Cousins selection when it happened (I was at a winery in Amador, lol, and I was just "holy ----, not bad value here). What remains most confusing to me is why he dropped so far. I'll never understand that. He showed 1st-2nd round QB potential before he lost all his weapons to the '21 draft. That alone should have mitigated concerns front offices might have had, but it didn't. Why?

Well, we'll see how it goes from here. We played ourselves out of blue chip QB zone, so that ship has sailed, we hit on him or we remain irrelevant for the forseeable future, same as it nearly always is. 

• Like 2

IF....the coaches think Howell can be the guy moving forward then go "all in" and build around him the same as the Eagles have done with Jalen Hurts. Get everyone else out of his way and surround him with the best coaches and players you can find. Get him a STUD TE, build the offensive line and build your offense around his skill set. Hold on to TH and let him be the backup so there is NO competition for him. Tell the team he's the guy and commit to him. Again, IF you think he has the head and skill set to be your franchise QB. I think I've seen enough to commit to what he brings to the table.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Warhead36 said:

Yeah for real. Jones improved big time but that's just absolute madness. You don't break that kinda bank for a QB unless he's a true franchise elevator. 

Yea, I've been warning of this absolutely chaos for like two seasons now concerning how egregious QB contracts are becoming, and this jus proves me righter then right when I want to be wronger then wrong.

Jalen Hurts contract negotiations gonna be like...

drevil-billion (2).gif

• Haha 3

In what universe is Daniel Jones worth $46 million per year? Yeah he had some better stats this year but he didn't light it up or anything. From watching some of their games IMO that had less to do with him suddenly becoming a stud and more to do with Kafka being really good at designing plays catering to what he's good at and utilizing his legs more. Plenty of running, lots of short high percentage throws, and then an occasional deep shot

I think he's still mostly the same damn guy, but he found an OC who could help limit the impact of his issues.

• Thumb up 1

4 hours ago, MrJL said:

so this is a bizarre idea but I have this feeling that if Jeff Bezos does end up being the winning bid for the team I can see him trying to bring Brady here.

I’ve been saying this. If he slow plays his retirement decision he’ll potentially be available by the time it’s final. I highly doubt he wants to put up with the poorly-coached Bowles/Leftwich Bucs disaster again.  If we manage to infuse some talent into the OL, that combined with our defense and weapons in a weak NFC…that’s gotta be appealing. He’d basically run the offense here. He’s probably on speaking terms with Bezos and Jay-Z already given the circles he runs in.

• Like 1

Whether in FA or Draft there doesn't seem to be much scope for picking up a top talent at QB, you know Howell will be either QB 1 or 2 next season and you know his skill set.

Personally I think it's vital that the new OC has experience running an offence that has the QB using his wheels. Howell isn't Lamar, Fields or Josh Allen by any stretch but he can move for sure and I think it's going to be a really important part of his game going forward, if Ron brings in an OC who schemes offences for statues its going to be a mismatch from the off and Howell's game will be limited.

IMO we should seek a QB in FA or Draft likely a lesser one to backup Howell but one with as similar a skill set to Howell as we can find and have an OC who has proven he can scheme to them, all 3 parties on the same page.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Conn said:

I’ve been saying this. If he slow plays his retirement decision he’ll potentially be available by the time it’s final. I highly doubt he wants to put up with the poorly-coached Bowles/Leftwich Bucs disaster again.  If we manage to infuse some talent into the OL, that combined with our defense and weapons in a weak NFC…that’s gotta be appealing. He’d basically run the offense here. He’s probably on speaking terms with Bezos and Jay-Z already given the circles he runs in.

Couple Olinemen and Gronk out of retirement and we're looking pretty formidable.  

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Koolblue13 said:

Couple Olinemen and Gronk out of retirement and we're looking pretty formidable.  

Eh, I dunno. I don’t think Brady would be a great addition here.  He did not look like he was into football anymore and his physical skill sets appear to be in  sharp decline.  The guy is 45, right?  I think he’s losing quite a bit on his fast ball.  Couple that with Gronk, who also was a shell of himself outside of a few solid games, and I think we’re looking at a lot of salary cap money wasted on two players that won’t contribute much or will dramatically underperform.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I’m not into Tom Brady being here. But I can see the logic. Maybe they like Howell but want to give him another year of seasoning and want him to sit behind Brady and learn from him for a year. 

Brady is a big name and would put asses in seats and give us an experienced veteran who is widely considered the greatest of all-time. 

So if he came here it would be hard to be against it. I don’t think he’s fallen off the cliff to the point where he isn’t still one of the better QBs in the League.

Having said that, I think he’s going to the Raiders. McDaniels + Brady for a year, plus the rumors of him going to Vegas before seems he’d go there. 

I don’t want us to lose sight of Howell, though. I think he can be our guy. And, if he flops this upcoming season as the incumbent QB1, we are in position to get a top end QB1 next April in the draft, the first true off-season for new ownership (hopefully).

Brady gives us a floor of mediocrity again. Ceiling could be higher, but is it high enough to warrant the move?

We play Howell and he’s bad we’re in Caleb Williams contention. We play Howell and he’s good we may have a franchise level guy. 

While I understand the Brady move I think it’s short sighted and jeopardizes the long term future of this franchise.

• Like 7

Daniel Jones playing just good enough to warrant a huge deal is exactly what Washington fans wanted.

I looked at the game again and took a hard look at Sam Howell.  For the record I do believe they should and will give him the starting job but will bring in a vet retread to possible start the season and more importantly as a mentor. Here are my thoughts on Howell

He does not look much bigger than TH to me.  I don't think that's much of a concern anymore, we have seen several small QBs succeed. But man he is small.

Threw an accurate deep ball, something we haven't had since Mark Rypien in 1990, or so it seems anyway.

He did demonstrate good feel in the pocket. One one sack he eluded several pass rushers and nearly escaped a collapsing pocket.

He throws a nice, catchable ball. Not sure where the idea came from that he has a cannon. I saw no such evidence.  On the deep out on the right side that people were using as an example it was hardly a laser but it got there in time, I guess when compared to TH his arm looks really strong but it didn't look that way to me. But his velocity is adequate and not an issue.

His wheels will make him more effective. Many of us were frustrated that Heinke didn't run more, it was his biggest asset other than moxy. Hope that chances with Howell.

I was actually one of the few who didn't have a problem when Ron started Wentz against Cleveland. I had no idea what Howell had and they had to move on from TH.  But he should have been pulled early in the 2nd half and I can't help but to wonder if they would be in the playoffs had Howell played, or even started, in that game.  

I agree he is not a typical 5th rounder. His projection as a first round pick a year earlier has me hopeful.  At this point he is their best option for QB1 and it's not even close. But I am also aware that most every fan has fallen in love with their young QB after a few good games so I am very cautiously optimistic.  

• Like 1