Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Official QB Thread- JD5 taken #2. Randall 2.0 or Bayou Bob? Mariotta and Hartman forever. Fromm cut

Koolblue13

Howell is an unknown. He might be okay, he might not be. I also see the comparisons to Josh Allen. But the problem is that Allen was a first round pick for an established coaching staff. That's solid investment, and a solid foundation. Howell has one season to save both himself and the entire staff and front office. There's no time. He probably has a blank check for this season because Brissett isn't taking us to the playoffs and has no future with the team. But after this season, EVERYTHING is getting wiped clean.

• Like 2
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

Just now, NickyJ said:

Howell is an unknown. He might be okay, he might not be. I also see the comparisons to Josh Allen. But the problem is that Allen was a first round pick for an established coaching staff. That's solid investment, and a solid foundation. Howell has one season to save both himself and the entire staff and front office. There's no time. He probably has a blank check for this season because Brissett isn't taking us to the playoffs and has no future with the team. But after this season, EVERYTHING is getting wiped clean.

You are 💯 correct.  But, hopefully the new staff will take the time to build a line before bringing in skill players and a young QB.  This team was built *** backwards and most us fans saw this coming years ago.  (I still think Howell can be good). 

• Thumb up 1
  • Super Duper Ain't No Party Pooper Two Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, NickyJ said:

He's not close to Josh Allen.  Allen is physically the most gifted QB in the NFL. Tall,  fast, tough, with a cannon.  Some of the throws he made for just too good today.  Howell holds the ball way too long.  Some of these sacks are on him no question.  

Just now, mhd24 said:

He's not close to Josh Allen.  Allen is physically the most gifted QB in the NFL. Tall,  fast, tough, with a cannon.  Some of the throws he made for just too good today.  Howell holds the ball way too long.  Some of these sacks are on him no question.  

Allen didn't take so many sacks, but he was ugly as a passer. 53% completed passes, 12 picks to 10 touchdowns. 2019 started rough as well for him iirc. But both have the ability to run. Allen is better at running, but I can't deny that Howell has some decent running ability himself.

Realistically, the 5th round pick isn't going to be as good as the 1st round pick. But I see some potential in him to be decent or even good. But the Commies don't have the luxury to be able to wait and find out. All he has is potential, but potential doesn't put wins on the table when the entire team sucks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, skins island connection said:

Outside of Howell's lack of pocket presence, and thats the one thing he really needs now with this seaweed blob of an offensive line, he needs better judgement.

He seemingly loves to throw into double and triple coverage, and far too often for comfort. Is Rex Grossman his QB coach?

What pocket? I sort of jest, but seriously...he was pressured on something like 80% of his dropbacks. That's insane.

I don't think he has a poor pocket presence...we've actually seen him feel pressure, maneuver, and shift in the pocket plenty of times (the TD to Terry last week comes to mind). I think it's more that 1) he still holds the ball too long to try and make plays and 2) teams are getting a ridiculous amount of pressure on us, usually just rushing 4, which means it's easier tor the LBs and DBs to cover.

Don't get me wrong...Howell played like ass today. He made plenty of awful decisions, several of which led to his turnovers. But I also know that most people with a functioning prefrontal cortex realized that it was probably just a matter of time before he had a horrid game, considering how green he still is and how god awful his OL is.

And yeah, he definitely has a gunslinger aspect to him. He's always trying to make big plays. He'll probably be able to temper that a bit, but I think that will always be a part of him to a certain extent. Just need to know when to put it in check.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Between his bad throws, bad pocket mechanics... ****, bad EVERYTHING, that might be the worst QB play I've ever seen here, and after the first two weeks, and everything I've seen since the year of our lord 1999, that's saying a HELL of a lot.

Nowhere to go but up... Unless he gets sacked to death.

See Mark Sanchez

• Like 1

He was bad today, but the OL often gives him no chance. How often can he get even 2-3 straight plays with noone in his face instantly to just restabilize. 

46 minutes ago, Mr. Sinister said:

Between his bad throws, bad pocket mechanics... ****, bad EVERYTHING, that might be the worst QB play I've ever seen here, and after the first two weeks, and everything I've seen since the year of our lord 1999, that's saying a HELL of a lot.

Nowhere to go but up... Unless he gets sacked to death.

I can think of five guys in the last five years alone who were much worse.